PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Gilmour locked up for 23 hours a day with a hardened criminal?

moodydog
12-08-11, 13:22
Charlie Gilmour is the son of Pink Floyd member Dave Gilmour, he was imprisoned for 16 months for 'swinging on a memorial flag' after being fuelled by drink and drugs. His accusations; "Showing grievous disrespect to the dead war heroes". This has basically split the public opinion, whether or not his punishments are too great for the so called crime.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8639930/Pink-Floyd-guitarists-son-Charlie-Gilmour-jailed-for-drug-fuelled-rampage.html

Is it a crime to deny the Holocaust in the UK?? If so why aren't we locking up Holocaust denyers yet someone who clearly had no purpose in directly disrespecting the war heroes but was just a bit senseless and
'out of his mind at the time' gets slammed down on like a ton of bricks. Even worse, worse crimes are getting committed we hear about in the news which gets nowhere near as harsh punishments (like cautions and something about sex offences only getting cautioned).
He even helped the elderly in his gap year... I think someone like this should not perhaps go to jail, but if really necessary, do some sort of community service.

You can see my opinion, what do you think about the matter. I know a lot of poeple would think 'You should lock him up and throw away the keys'... and I expect a lot of people would be thinking 'Yes, make him do service or something'

patriots88888
12-08-11, 13:34
What were the official charge(s)? Public intoxication? Disorderly conduct? It does seem a bit extreme if that's all it was. Does he have a prior arrest record?

moodydog
12-08-11, 13:35
What were the official charge(s)? Public intoxication? Disorderly conduct?

Disorderly conduct... showing disrespect to war heroes.

patriots88888
12-08-11, 13:42
Disorderly conduct... showing disrespect to war heroes.

If I read the article correctly, that appears to be the determination of the judge presiding in this case. I can't be certain if there was in fact any disrespect intended or if it was just a case of poor judgement on the defendant's part. Obviously the judge makes that call so I guess he'll just have to live with the decision and will hopefully think twice before ever doing something so stupid again.

Super Badnik
12-08-11, 13:44
This is an old story, I remember hearing about it last year. But anyway, yes it is rather pathetic. For a start its hardley direspecting war heroes is it? And disrepect is hardley a crime that deserves inprisonment. To be honest I think they were just desperate to make examples of people in the unrest during the tuition fees fiasco, I believe someone got locked for something like 5 years for throwing a fire extinguisher off the top of Tory HQ.

peeves
12-08-11, 13:44
I think he shouldn't have drinking the alcohol and using drugs otherwise this never woulda happened.

moodydog
12-08-11, 13:46
If I read the article correctly, that appears to be the determination of the judge presiding in this case. I can't be certain if there was in fact any disrespect intended or if it was just a case of poor judgement on the defendant's part. Obviously the judge makes that call so I guess he'll just have to live with the decision and will hopefully think twice before ever doing something so stupid again.

I heard he's helped himself get of the drugs which is a start, and apparently everyone in the prison really gets on with him.
I hope he doesn't do something stupid again. Actually genuinely seems like a mature guy in general.

Dark Lugia 2
12-08-11, 13:48
16 months for swinging on a flag? Really? I swear people who commit actual crimes can get off with less than that...

moodydog
12-08-11, 13:57
I take back the part where I said he seems like a mature guy... the video's I just watched make him look like an absolute prick.

Though, still too harsh.

Goose
12-08-11, 19:31
'Yes, make him do service or something'

I think instead of giving him the soft treatment of putting him in prison, where all he does is eat and sleep, he should do service. If he thinks he's man enough to climb up the cenotaph that represents all those that died from 1914 to 2011 in the center of London and show them that they were all worthless in his opinion, then he's obviously got big brass balls, and would happily give the Commandos, paras and Gurkhas a run for there money in the face of the taliban.

Then again he wouldnt last a day in any military environment, he's obviously as wet as a bottle of water at the bottom of the Atlantic.

The infamous picture.
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01783/CGCenotaph_1783409c.jpg
Him Trying to set fire to a door, because the door represents the money he wont get for his tuition obviously....even though his dad has millions.
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01783/CharlieGILMOUR_1783817b.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/12/12/article-1337874-0C6D402C000005DC-375_634x876.jpg

Weemanply109
12-08-11, 20:13
He looks like an idiot. :rolleyes:

Guess thats what happens when you think your something better cause you're famous or related to a famous person.

moodydog
12-08-11, 20:48
he is an absolute idiot, I can agree and I stated before...

But I am not able to question his motives for doing what he did, and you shouldn't to.

If he thinks he's man enough to climb up the cenotaph that represents all those that died from 1914 to 2011 in the center of London and show them that they were all worthless in his opinion
In all fairness, how can you tell? That's what a combination of drink and drugs do to you. I really don't think he was trying to prove any point about war heroes. As the protest was on student fees...
Plus the reasons why he did what he did could be "analysed" in so many different ways.
Like who say's that hanging on a flag is a bad thing... it symbolises the weight of the living reach up and bringing the memories of the dead soldiers towards the earth... or some crazy made up **** like that?? Either the Judge should spend time analizing the behaviour the Charlie on that day and get into a deep sophisticated study of why he did such as seemingly cruel thing like hanging off a flag, or what evidence does he really have against him.

Plus sorry for my complete ignorance, but how is swinging on a flag which only simply represents something be classed as disrespectful. Since the flag is unharmed, and no actual war heroes were dug up and defaced. The only reason why the flag represents the heroes is because we say it does. I'd rather value the bodies of the heroes over the flag. Not saying I would go around ripping it down since I have better things to do... nor would I jump on it since apparently I would become a criminal... and people would tell me I have no respect for the Holocaust survivors... which simply isn't true.

He looks like an idiot. :rolleyes:

Guess thats what happens when you think your something better cause you're famous or related to a famous person.

Thats what it all boils down to really.

Goose
13-08-11, 05:58
Plus sorry for my complete ignorance, but how is swinging on a flag which only simply represents something be classed as disrespectful. Since the flag is unharmed, and no actual war heroes were dug up and defaced. The only reason why the flag represents the heroes is because we say it does. I'd rather value the bodies of the heroes over the flag. Not saying I would go around ripping it down since I have better things to do... nor would I jump on it since apparently I would become a criminal... and people would tell me I have no respect for the Holocaust survivors... which simply isn't true.

Cambridge student Charlie Gilmour was today sentenced to 16 months in jail for drug related violent disorder during the protests on tuition fees last December.

Gilmour, adopted son of Pink Floyd’s David Gilmour, was sentenced after a series of incidents which included leaping on the bonnet of a Jaguar in the royal convoy and throwing a rubbish bin at the vehicle during a drink and drug fuelled rampage.

The incident, which sparked public outrage, when Gilmour hung from the union flag on the cenotaph was condemned by Judge Nicholas Price QC, but was not part of the violent disorder sentence.

It was not just the flag actually, attcking the royal convoy is pretty much going to get you in trouble.

Charlie gilmour assualted cops, was caught in the act, it was even photographed holding one of the rocks he was about to throw, i linked it in the last post, then he took part in vandalism, like pointlessly setting fire to things, as caught on camera again.

Should i have to explain why climbing on the cenotaph and swinging on flags is rude? He knew exactly what it was, its the center of the commonwealth war dead memorials, the street is lined with statues of the dead from the past, the queen and others lay wreaths on the cenotaph every memorial day with full coverage on tv every single year. For a uni student, he's abit dense if he doesnt comprehend what it represents. And for a drunk person, his actions were quite specific, it cant even be proved he was drunk at all.

Maybe its because im in the military myself, and do parades and flag duties, the amount of care and respect we show, and are ordered to show to the union jack and the tri-service flags is equal to that which should be seen at a funeral or any other procesion that respects those who gave there lives for others, its raised and lowered daily, saluted, folded ensuring it never touches the ground, everyone in the vecinity has to halt and face the flag as it goes up or down, no matter what your doing.

I dont care if you buy a union jack and burn it in your own time and with your own money to be honest, but the moment you touch one that belongs to the military, your playing with our world, your messing with our respect system, the cenotaph has been faced by soldiers sailors and airmen for 100 years, all showing respect to that same flag, when those who paraded infront of it passed away in war, there sacrifice was absorbed into that single cenotaph. I dont have the right to climb on it, so Gilmour certainly shouldnt be anywhere near it.

Luckily for people like him, this is not America or Canada, he would be in serious trouble in those countries for acting like that.

moodydog
13-08-11, 18:10
It was not just the flag actually, attcking the royal convoy is pretty much going to get you in trouble.

Charlie gilmour assualted cops, was caught in the act, it was even photographed holding one of the rocks he was about to throw, i linked it in the last post, then he took part in vandalism, like pointlessly setting fire to things, as caught on camera again.

Should i have to explain why climbing on the cenotaph and swinging on flags is rude? He knew exactly what it was, its the center of the commonwealth war dead memorials, the street is lined with statues of the dead from the past, the queen and others lay wreaths on the cenotaph every memorial day with full coverage on tv every single year. For a uni student, he's abit dense if he doesnt comprehend what it represents. And for a drunk person, his actions were quite specific, it cant even be proved he was drunk at all.

Maybe its because im in the military myself, and do parades and flag duties, the amount of care and respect we show, and are ordered to show to the union jack and the tri-service flags is equal to that which should be seen at a funeral or any other procesion that respects those who gave there lives for others, its raised and lowered daily, saluted, folded ensuring it never touches the ground, everyone in the vecinity has to halt and face the flag as it goes up or down, no matter what your doing.

I dont care if you buy a union jack and burn it in your own time and with your own money to be honest, but the moment you touch one that belongs to the military, your playing with our world, your messing with our respect system, the cenotaph has been faced by soldiers sailors and airmen for 100 years, all showing respect to that same flag, when those who paraded infront of it passed away in war, there sacrifice was absorbed into that single cenotaph. I dont have the right to climb on it, so Gilmour certainly shouldnt be anywhere near it.

Luckily for people like him, this is not America or Canada, he would be in serious trouble in those countries for acting like that.

hmm, I like that you've used that word... rude. Since when do people get locked up for being rude? And no you don't have to explain, I understand its offence and it offended. But it seems not enough because there is a crowd of people who wan't him out of prison.
You also mentioned his other offences, but reading a few sources, the judge did say that was not enough to get him locked up, so it was decided that he would be locked up under the subject of negligence and disrespect to war heroes.
Plus do you think the consequences of his actions should be significant enough to completely change the direction of his life for the next 1 and a half years... at such a crucial stage of his life? If so, why? :)
Plus, he's still got a bit of maturing to do... at 21 you can be forgiven for only so much, and I doubt he would be such a prick at the age of 27,28... with or without the prison sentence.

Goose
19-08-11, 21:02
You also mentioned his other offences, but reading a few sources, the judge did say that was not enough to get him locked up, so it was decided that he would be locked up under the subject of negligence and disrespect to war heroes.

He was not locked up for the cenotaph, but for his violent actions against the royal convoy, and yes they were more then enough for a sentance.

Plus do you think the consequences of his actions should be significant enough to completely change the direction of his life for the next 1 and a half years... at such a crucial stage of his life? If so, why? :)

Well, thats pretty easy, on the disrespect side isnt it as people younger then him changed the direction of there lives for democracy and freedom, alot ending there lives. He's not going to miss out on much, after all his daddy will just pay his way after.