PDA

View Full Version : The TR Level Tournament: Round 1, Division 5 Voting

Ward Dragon
12-08-11, 22:16
See the general thread for the tournament (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=183565) which includes all match-ups from previous rounds.

Please vote for one level from each pair :)

Division 4 Results
Winners are in bold.

The Lost Library (47)
Lud's Gate (19)

The Serpent Rouge (34)
Sacred Lake (32)

The Great Wall (41)
Neptune's Hall (26)

Natla's Mines (38)
Alexandria (29)

St. Francis Folly (51)
Maximum Containment Area (14)

Old Mill (49)
Street Bazaar (16)

Temple of Horus (25)
The Ice Palace (41)

Lost City of Tinnos (45)
Eckhardt's Lab (AoD) (20)

robm_2007
12-08-11, 22:19
The Serpent Rouge (34)
Sacred Lake (32)

:pi:

EDIT: :p

Ward Dragon
12-08-11, 22:20

Fixed :)

Vinkula
12-08-11, 22:34
Voted :)

Seth94
12-08-11, 22:34
My votes:

Offshore Rig
Obelisk of Khamoon
Coastal Ruins
Atlantis
Bio-Research Facility
Crash Site
Venice
Antarctica

xLara_Nathanx
12-08-11, 22:37
Done.

AoD whoring ftw.

TRexbait
13-08-11, 00:51
I hate TR2 (except for a few levels) so Offshore Rig and Venice did NOT get my vote. (i didn't just do that to spite Tr2 though, I honestly liked their adversaries more :pi:)

Also, people do remember that Coastal Ruins is just a hub level, right? While the sunset and water is nice and all, I don't really think that it has enough to really beat out All Hallows, as mediocre as that level was. Hmm.

sheepman23
13-08-11, 01:35
^ Aww, TR2 is the best! :tmb:

And dang, Antarctica vs. Guardian of Semerkhet is a touch matchup. But by golly, that bull just never gets old. The music track that plays, the excitement of running all over the place, using him to smash open walls... such an incredible level. :D

Will post my reasoning for all of the matchups tomorrow. ;)

By the way, the Division 6 poll won't come until Tuesday. I know it's supposed to be on Monday, but I'm going to be gone for Sunday and Monday, and extra day for this poll won't hurt. :)

EDIT: Offshore Rig is BEATING Gallows Tree?!?!?!?! :yik: That is an amazing shocker. I'm sorry, but Offshore Rig cannot compete with the amazing experience that Gallows Tree is. :(

b0bb13
13-08-11, 03:00
Derp:

Offshore Rig
Obelisk of Khamoon
Coastal Ruins
Atlantis
Bio-Research Facility
Crash Site
Venice <333333333333333333333333333
Guardian of Semerkhet

Horus-Goddess
13-08-11, 03:07
It's not fair that some of my most favourite classic levels was paired with AOD levels I also liked. XD

Mine were:

Gallows Tree
Obelisk of Khamoon
All Hallows
Atlantis
Bio-Research Facility
Crash Site
Venice (naturally ;))
Antarctica

I don't know that Breath of Hades really was its own level. Perhaps if the whole Hall of Seasons (plus side levels) was one massive level then I'd have voted for that one. Anyway, interesting poll! :)

sheepman23
13-08-11, 03:23
I don't know that Breath of Hades really was its own level. Perhaps if the whole Hall of Seasons (plus side levels) was one massive level then I'd have voted for that one. Anyway, interesting poll! :)

I had the tough decision of splitting the Hall of Seasons from its four sub-levels when making this tournament; in the end, I chose to split them, though, as I think they all possess of very different feels that therefore, deserve to be separate. ;) Also, there is an actual Hall of Seasons level in this tourney, which was one of the winners in Division 3.

Of course, it's up to everyone as to whether or not they want to choose Hall of Seasons based on just the actual level, or all of the sub-levels added. :)

EDIT: I will have lost all hope if Offshore Rig seriously manages to beat Gallows Tree. :(

peeves
13-08-11, 10:37
Mine were:
Offshore Rig
St. Aicard's Graveyard
All Hallows
Underneath the Sphinx
Bio Reseacrh Facility
Crash Site
Venice
Antarctica

Seth94
13-08-11, 11:29
EDIT: Offshore Rig is BEATING Gallows Tree?!?!?!?! :yik: That is an amazing shocker. I'm sorry, but Offshore Rig cannot compete with the amazing experience that Gallows Tree is. :(

I'd hardly call it a shocker lol, imo Offshore Rig was far better than Gallows Tree. :p

Although tbh I don't know how Breath of Hades got any votes, especially against a good level like Venice. :)

peeves
13-08-11, 11:34
I'd hardly call it a shocker lol, imo Offshore Rig was far better than Gallows Tree. :p

Although tbh I don't know how Breath of Hades got any votes, especially against a good level like Venice. :)

I like offshore rig a lot better than gallow's tree simply because it had better atmosphere and took place on a rig.

sheepman23
13-08-11, 12:38

Gallows Tree is like a fan favorite, though. It's spooky, creepy, has amazing atmosphere, you have no weapons (only your wits), there's some great music, the imps, the rain... it's just so great. :tmb:

I like offshore rig a lot better than gallow's tree simply because it had better atmosphere and took place on a rig.

lol, those are two of the reasons why I dislike the rig... the atmosphere is way too comtemporary, and the rig just gets boring after a while. The only low point in the otherwise-phenomenal TR2. ;)

Seth94
13-08-11, 12:43
Gallows Tree is like a fan favorite, though. It's spooky, creepy, has amazing atmosphere, you have no weapons (only your wits), there's some great music, the imps, the rain... it's just so great. :tmb:

Still, I find the level extremely boring. I agree about the atmosphere though. :D But gameplay-wise, Offshore Rig is an easy winner in this matchup. :p

lol, those are two of the reasons why I dislike the rig... the atmosphere is way too comtemporary, and the rig just gets boring after a while. The only low point in the otherwise-phenomenal TR2. ;)

I quite liked the atmosphere of the rig levels. The background ambience really makes it feel like you're on the rig, and I really liked the variety of traps and gameplay in the rig levels. :tmb:

sheepman23
13-08-11, 12:50
I quite liked the atmosphere of the rig levels. The background ambience really makes it feel like you're on the rig, and I really liked the variety of traps and gameplay in the rig levels. :tmb:

I will agree that the ambient sounds make you feel like you're at a rig, but still. Areas like Nevada and VCI Tech were MUCH better at being contemporary levels, the rig just doesn't do very well in comparison. But everyone is entitled to their opinion, and this is just mine. :)

Seth94
13-08-11, 12:53
I will agree that the ambient sounds make you feel like you're at a rig, but still. Areas like Nevada and VCI Tech were MUCH better at being contemporary levels, the rig just doesn't do very well in comparison. But everyone is entitled to their opinion, and this is just mine. :)

I agree that the Nevada and VCI Tech have really good atmosphere. :tmb:

16-14 now to Offshore Rig. :p

peeves
13-08-11, 13:21
Still, I find the level extremely boring. I agree about the atmosphere though. :D But gameplay-wise, Offshore Rig is an easy winner in this matchup. :p

The rig had lots of water on it nice clean water and it seemed nice to me especially with the horizon.

Soul
13-08-11, 13:33
Not an easy vote for me this time, but let's see:

-> Gallows Tree: Amazing Level with a fantastic atmosphere. For me THIS choice was very easy, as "Offshore Rig" is one of the levels I don't like at all because of it's setting.

-> St. Aircards Graveyard: Some might think I'm stupid to vote for such a tiny level, but its atmosphere was just amazing - it's one of my favourite levels from AoD

-> Coastal Ruins: No need to explain a lot. The most beautiful level in TRLR

-> Atlantis: Even if I hate both levels I was going with this one, as the whole Gizah section is the worst TRLR has to offer

-> Bio Research Facility: Not an easy vote at all for me. I Like both levels and somehow I seem to prticularly like the first level of each TR-game, no matter how bad it is. That said "Streets of Rome" has some kind of bonus for me, but it was still beaten by the wonderful atmosphere "Bia Research Facility" has.

-> Crash Site: No idea why anyone even dared to vote for "Trenches" :D

-> Breath of Hades: I don't really like either level, but I hate TR2's Venice with passion, so that was a clear winner for me ^^

-> Guardian of Semerkhet: I actually didn't want to vot for this level but for "Antarctica" instead - so maybe this can be taken into account when the final votes are to be announced.

Seth94
13-08-11, 13:39
-> Guardian of Semerkhet: I actually didn't want to vot for this level but for "Antarctica" instead - so maybe this can be taken into account when the final votes are to be announced.

I doubt it will matter anyway, seeing as Antarctica is winning by a large margin. :)

sheepman23
13-08-11, 13:42
I doubt it will matter anyway, seeing as Antarctica is winning by a large margin. :)

I love Guardian of Semerkhet, CLASSIC Tomb Raider right there. :tmb: That being said, I also like Antarctica a good deal... but not as much. ;)

peeves
13-08-11, 13:43

I love Guardian of Semerkhet, CLASSIC Tomb Raider right there. :tmb: That being said, I also like Antarctica a good deal... but not as much. ;)

I think antarctica has better atmosphere than guardian of semerkhet.

Seth94
13-08-11, 13:47
I think antarctica has better atmosphere than guardian of semerkhet.

I agree, Antarctica is by far my favourite section of TR3. :tmb:

All the levels seem a notch above the rest. :)

sheepman23
13-08-11, 17:26
Alright, the levels I picked and why I picked them...

Gallows Tree - no contest. At all.

Obelisk of Khamoon - this is a masterpiece of a level, and although I like St. Aicard's Graveyard, it can't really compare. ;)

Coastal Ruins - A case of two not-very-good levels, but atleast Coastal Ruins has some beautiful sights as well as the Egyptian area, which I did really enjoy. :)

Underneath the Sphinx - I guess I'm more in favor of the hieroglyphics puzzle, rather than the straightforward stuff that makes up Atlantis.

Bio-Research Facility - One of the gems of AoD, and Streets of Rome is one of the worst opening levels, so it really wasn't a contest.

Crash Site - 10/10 level. 'Nuff said. :D

Venice - This level was never really groundbreaking for me, but atleast I have good memories of it. Can't say the same for The Breath of Hades. Unless you want to say falling into a pit 50 times in one playthrough is a good memory... :whi:

Guardian of Semerkhet - I love this level, so much. I did enjoy Antarctica too, though. :)

kooky
13-08-11, 17:30
Wow! :eek: this was a tough decision anyways these were the levels I chose:

Gallows Tree
Obelisk of Khamoon
Coastal Ruins
Atlantis
Streets of Rome
Crash Site
Venice
Guardian of Semerkhet

sheepman23
13-08-11, 20:08
Guardian of Semerkhet is losing... badly. This is not good. :(

Rai
13-08-11, 20:28
That is the one with the annoying bull? That's why I didn't vote for it.

Made my votes.

Seth94
13-08-11, 20:31
Guardian of Semerkhet is losing... badly. This is good. :)

Corrected. :D

sheepman23
13-08-11, 20:31
That is the one with the annoying bull? That's why I didn't vote for it.

Aww, but the bull is scary! And the music track that plays is awesome. :tmb:

LJp0-pCkLFA

Blackmoor
13-08-11, 20:56
Hmm, there were some difficult ones in there:

Offshore rig - TR2
Obelisk of Khamoon - TR1
Coastal Ruins - TR4
Atlantis - TR1
Bio-research facility - AoD
Trenches - TR4
Venice - TR2
Antarctica - TR3

Edit:

However, I don't think there is a level out there that could have made me pick Breath of Hades in preference to it. That has to be my most hated TR level, lol :D

Seth94
13-08-11, 21:08
Hmm, there were some difficult ones in there:

Offshore rig - TR2
Obelisk of Khamoon - TR1
Coastal Ruins - TR4
Atlantis - TR1
Bio-research facility - AoD
Trenches - TR4
Venice - TR2
Antarctica - TR3

Good choices. :tmb:

Except for Trenches. I thought Crash Site was a much better level tbh. :p

Edit:

However, I don't think there is a level out there that could have made me pick Breath of Hades in preference to it. That has to be my most hated TR level, lol :D

I didn't mind Breath of Hades. There are levels which are much worse imo, such as Caves of Kaliya, Caves, etc. :)

Blackmoor
13-08-11, 22:00
Good choices. :tmb:Thanks. :)

I didn't mind Breath of Hades. There are levels which are much worse imo, such as Caves of Kaliya, Caves, etc. :)Actually I've just realised, I was mistaking Breath of Hades for another AoD level - Wrath of the Beast. :rolleyes: Now, nothing will convince me there is a worse TR level than that one!! N.o.t.h.i.n.g

Lol @ Caves of Kaliya and Caves: I love those levels! Caves of Kaliya's maze is cool and the background music and sounds perfect. A creepy, slow build up to meeting the crazy man. :) As for Caves at the start of TR1 - how can anyone not love that level??! :eek: *amazed*

Oh, well, I just remembered...I am speaking to someone who took 94 attempts to beat Seth!!!! :p (just kidding! :D)

Rai
13-08-11, 22:41
Aww, but the bull is scary! And the music track that plays is awesome. :tmb:

The music is awesome, but I still prefer Antarctica over GoS.

Seth94
13-08-11, 23:24
Thanks. :)

Actually I've just realised, I was mistaking Breath of Hades for another AoD level - Wrath of the Beast. :rolleyes: Now, nothing will convince me there is a worse TR level than that one!! N.o.t.h.i.n.g

Lol @ Caves of Kaliya and Caves: I love those levels! Caves of Kaliya's maze is cool and the background music and sounds perfect. A creepy, slow build up to meeting the crazy man. :) As for Caves at the start of TR1 - how can anyone not love that level??! :eek: *amazed*

My reasons for not liking Caves of Kaliya: :)

1. Repeated textures all the way through
2. Lasts less than 5 minutes
3. Room with snakes is annoying
4. Boss Battle was incredibly easy

So much more could have been done with this level. But all we got was a small maze and an easy boss battle. (And a few snakes. :p)

Oh, well, I just remembered...I am speaking to someone who took 1 attempt to beat Seth!!!!

Correction. :D

sheepman23
14-08-11, 00:11
My reasons for not liking Caves of Kaliya: :)

1. Repeated textures all the way through
2. Lasts less than 5 minutes
3. Room with snakes is annoying
4. Boss Battle was incredibly easy
5. Mazes are boring and confusing
6. Barely any pickups to speak of in the mazes

So much more could have been done with this level. But all we got was a small maze and an easy boss battle. (And a few snakes. :p)

Added a few things to your list in bold. ;) But yeah, Caves of Kaliya is by far one of the worst levels of the series. :(

Seth94
14-08-11, 00:15
The list could go on and on, tbh. :p

The maze isn't even interesting, and it's the main part of the level. There could have been more rooms around the maze that you have to go to, etc. :)

In general, I didn't really like the 'boss battle' levels. I don't know why they weren't made the length of the previous levels. (Or made part of the previous levels). :confused: They just seemed rather pointless to me. :)

sheepman23
14-08-11, 00:27
The list could go on and on, tbh. :p

The maze isn't even interesting, and it's the main part of the level. There could have been more rooms around the maze that you have to go to, etc. :)

In general, I didn't really like the 'boss battle' levels. I don't know why they weren't made the length of the previous levels. (Or made part of the previous levels). :confused: They just seemed rather pointless to me. :)

A theory that I've had for a long time:

- Attach the boss battle in Caves of Kaliya to the end of The River Ganges, and ditch Caves of Kaliya.

- Attach City to the end of Lud's Gate (but get rid of the godawful underwater maze XD)

- I don't really know if I would want to do anything with the Temple of Puna and Meteorite Cavern levels. I actually really like ToP, though. ;)

Seth94
14-08-11, 00:29
A theory that I've had for a long time:

- Attach the boss battle in Caves of Kaliya to the end of The River Ganges, and ditch Caves of Kaliya.

- Attach City to the end of Lud's Gate (but get rid of the godawful underwater maze XD)

- I don't really know if I would want to do anything with the Temple of Puna and Meteorite Cavern levels. I actually really like ToP, though. ;)

Imo Madubu Gorge would have been better with Temple of Puna attached at the end of it. I agree about Meteorite Cavern though. :)

Dark Wiseman
14-08-11, 12:54
Only difficult ones for me this time were Gallows Tree versus Offshore Rig (both are "meh") and Coastal Ruins versus All Hallows (both are average). Most of the rest were really easy, either because I loved one level (Obelisk of Khamoon, Atlantis) or didn't like another (Streets of Rome, Trenches). As far as Venice versus The Breath of Hades, well, BoH is only one room, so it's not really a level and I just include it in my vote for the Hall of Seasons.

peeves
14-08-11, 12:57
I'm glad half of the levels i picked are winning. I can't believe the others aren't. :(

sheepman23
16-08-11, 23:01
Voting ends tonight, guys. :D

Rai
16-08-11, 23:36
Why does Johnnay vote for the blank options? :confused:

Cali
16-08-11, 23:40
Didn't realise I hadn't voted on this!! I'll do it now :p

sheepman23
16-08-11, 23:42
Why does Johnnay vote for the blank options? :confused: