PDA

View Full Version : Mother Bear Kills Her Cub and Herself afterwards.

Weemanply109
13-08-11, 21:24
The Chinese media has reported on an extraordinary account of a mother bear saving her cub from a life of torture by strangling it and then killing itself.

The bears were kept in a farm located in a remote area in the North-West of China. The bears on the farm had their gall bladders milked daily for 'bear bile,' which is used as a remedy in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM).

It was reported that the bears are kept in tiny cages known as 'crush cages', as the bears have no room to manoeuvre and are literally crushed.

The bile is harvested by making a permanent hole or fistula in the bears' abdomen and gall bladder.

As the hole is never closed, the animals are suspect to various infections and diseases including tumours, cancers and death from peritonitis.

The bears are fitted with an iron vest, as they often try to kill themselves by hitting their stomach as they are unable to bear the pain.

A person who was on the farm in place of a friend witnessed the procedures and told Reminbao.com that they were inhumane.

The witness also claimed that a mother bear broke out its cage when it heard its cub howl in fear before a worker punctured its stomach to milk the bile.

The workers ran away in fear when they saw the mother bear rushing to its cub's side.

Unable to free the cub from its restraints, the mother hugged the cub and eventually strangled it.

It then dropped the cub and ran head-first into a wall, killing itself.

Many TCM practitioners have denounced the use of bear bile in their treatment as there are cheaper herbs and synthetics that can be used in its place.

Bear bile is traditionally used to remove 'heat' from the body as well as treat high fever, liver ailments and sore eyes.

[Article] (http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Asia/Story/A1Story20110805-292947.html)

Comments?

Killercowz
13-08-11, 21:28
Oh my gosh.. I actually read the article and that's frigging terrible. :(

Tombraiderx08
13-08-11, 21:30
Because of course there aren't more efficient, affordable, and sane ways to treat fevers and things. That's just terrible, those poor bears! :(

Kelly Craftman
Did someone play Justin Bieber to them? Maybe she wanted to save her cubs and herself from it...

But seriously, that's weird. Bears normally don't do that do they?

larafan25
Sad story but....liberating? I guess.

scremanie
13-08-11, 21:31
Oh, wow. That's rather amazing.

cezy rockeru
13-08-11, 21:35
I guess you don't see things like that everyday.

But it's kinda sad.

DgoOdz94
13-08-11, 21:37
The fact that the people do this to the animals sickens me. I'd rather die/kill myself too instead of suffer pain like that.

Weemanply109
13-08-11, 21:51
Did someone play Justin Bieber to them? Maybe she wanted to save her cubs and herself from it...

Apparently the ones that are held there do.

The bears are fitted with an iron vest, as they often try to kill themselves by hitting their stomach as they are unable to bear the pain

iamlaracroft
13-08-11, 21:56

Weird? Did you even read the article? It's awful and horrific what these bears are put through, that they would rather die than live with the torturous pain. still think it's weird?

Kelly Craftman
13-08-11, 21:59
Weird? Did you even read the article? It's awful and horrific what these bears are put through, that they would rather die than live with the torturous pain. still think it's weird?

I did, and in my opinion I think its weird and strange that a mother bear could do it, I know its for a good cause to escape the torture but I've never known a bear to do this.

larafan25
13-08-11, 22:05
I did, and in my opinion I think its weird and strange that a mother bear could do it, I know its for a good cause to escape the torture but I've never known a bear to do this.

I could see a human doing it though, killing their kid.

this is weird. :pi:

Fallen.Angel
13-08-11, 22:19
Another sad animal story. Everytime I hear of these things (animal cruelty, abuse etc) I can't help but to have so much hatred for those who put anything and anybody in such terrible suffering. :(

This is rather weird though.. it's sad to hear that the bear killed her cub but I also understand that she didn't want the bear to do go through with the pain.

Rai
13-08-11, 22:20
What a horrible life for the bears to be 'milked' like this. It does seem like odd behaviour for a bear, but then it is under exceptional circumstances. The mother killed her cub rather than let it endure further pain. So sad :(, but you can almost understand it.

xXhayleyroxXx
13-08-11, 22:21
Bears can be driven mad and they're very intelligent :( Poor Mother Bear for making that decision -- but she put them both out of their misery. I hate people sometimes, I really do.

Lizard of Oz
13-08-11, 22:30
I hate people that to this to animals! And god, those photos make me want to vomit and put those people in cages and make a hole in their abdomen and harvest their own bile!
/violent rant

Weemanply109
13-08-11, 22:49
I think I'm just gonna create happy threads from now on :o

Lara's Nemesis
13-08-11, 23:04
Don't really know if I believe that the bear took a considered decision to do this. Maybe the conditions drove it crazy which would be understandable.

It's hard to tell just how intelligent animals are tho.

Aphrodite22
14-08-11, 00:28
the pictures are horrible!! :(

Dark Lugia 2
14-08-11, 00:30
Those poor bears. :( It just shows how these animals are more intelligent than we think. Its so sad but amazing that she made sure her cub wouldnt have to feel the pain for longer first.

Anyways... bear bile? Never heard of it... there's probably so many more cruel things around the wordl that they do to animals to extract things from them, it just shows how ignorant most of us are to them.

Encore
14-08-11, 00:35
Don't really know if I believe that the bear took a considered decision to do this. Maybe the conditions drove it crazy which would be understandable.

It's hard to tell just how intelligent animals are tho.

I've always regarded suicide (as a conscious option) as a uniquely human phenomenon, or to put it another way, as a sign of a higher consciousness. I've read about how whales sometimes throw themselves onto shores and die, and no one knows why - and ironically that caused me to think that they might be more intelligent than we realise.

In this case, I understand it's difficult for a human not to reach the conclusion that "suffering lead them to suicide", because that's (sadly) something we all understand and are "used to" (so to speak).

However, I think the only reason we humans have that option, is because we have a perception of death - whether we are religious or not, we all have our own ideas of what will happen. That's only possible due to our extremely evolved brains and our capability of self-consciousness.

I don't think the brain of a bear allows it to have a perception of death, or to regard it as a viable option, but I could be wrong.

What's truly horrifying is how human beings were able to drive an animal towards this extreme situation, even leaving us humans baffled at its behaviour.

Lara's Nemesis
14-08-11, 01:05
I've always regarded suicide (as a conscious option) as a uniquely human phenomenon, or to put it another way, as a sign of a higher consciousness. I've read about how whales sometimes throw themselves onto shores and die, and no one knows why - and ironically that caused me to think that they might be more intelligent than we realise.

In this case, I understand it's difficult for a human not to reach the conclusion that "suffering lead them to suicide", because that's (sadly) something we all understand and are "used to" (so to speak).

However, I think the only reason we humans have that option, is because we have a perception of death - whether we are religious or not, we all have our own ideas of what will happen. That's only possible due to our extremely evolved brains and our capability of self-consciousness.

I don't think the brain of a bear allows it to have a perception of death, or to regard it as a viable option, but I could be wrong.

What's truly horrifying is how human beings were able to drive an animal towards this extreme situation, even leaving us humans baffled at its behaviour.

Yeah I doubt the bear committed suicide, it just seemed that the story was reported that way to me. It is possible that the poor thing was so stressed out about the death of it's cub that it accidentally killed itself?

Heartbreaking story tho, I would say it is undoubtedly humanities fault that these 2 bears are dead.

We have a small animal park where I live which has 2 brown bears. The last time I visited it one of the bears looked totally stir crazy. Was pacing up and down in a really small cage, terrible environment for such an amazing creature :(

remote91
14-08-11, 03:05
Animals are capable of suicide? Wow.

Ikas90
14-08-11, 03:12
Bears have souls.

Well, we all have something to learn from this.

SoupCard
14-08-11, 05:48
Harvesting bear bile?

http://images.wikia.com/masseffect/images/0/04/Me2harbinger.png

I like bears...

Gracious Days
14-08-11, 07:46
This reminds me of a documentary I recently saw on TV about Tiger "farms" in China that then use their bones to make wine; it's, like the bear bile in this story, used in traditional Chinese medicine.

For all of the economical strides China's made, I guess they've still got a ways to go in other areas, but with how culturally ingrained this is I'm not too optimistic.

ryan91
14-08-11, 08:28
threads about dead animals have always been here every once in a while. dead animals are just part of this forum. but this is the second thread about them in this month :D.

peeves
14-08-11, 11:16
That's just terrible for those poor bears. :(

iamlaracroft
14-08-11, 11:21
Yeah I doubt the bear committed suicide, it just seemed that the story was reported that way to me. It is possible that the poor thing was so stressed out about the death of it's cub that it accidentally killed itself?

Heartbreaking story tho, I would say it is undoubtedly humanities fault that these 2 bears are dead.

We have a small animal park where I live which has 2 brown bears. The last time I visited it one of the bears looked totally stir crazy. Was pacing up and down in a really small cage, terrible environment for such an amazing creature :(

sure. it's totally possible that it was so "stressed out" over murdering its own cub that it "accidentally" killed itself. I'm sure it totally would have preferred to live a tortured, abused life and just "accidentally" ended its baby's life and, coincidentally, her own life as well.

Orionvalentine
14-08-11, 12:05
My god this thread is just so horrifically depressing, but necessary to show that we have still got a long way to go as human beings.
Those 'farmers' are just backwards in every possible way, if medicine requires torture then somebody needs to take a step back and engage their single brain cell.

Those poor, poor bears. :(

Tear
14-08-11, 16:17
That's an intelligent bear...

Weemanply109
14-08-11, 16:20
threads about dead animals have always been here every once in a while. dead animals are just part of this forum. but this is the second thread about them in this month :D.

Funnily I have started both of those threads :p

I was going to start more, but I don't want to bring negative atmosphere here. We should feel happy when visiting TRF not sad. :o

FloTheMachine
14-08-11, 16:37
It shows how smart animals really are. And to a degree how much pain they can stand. :/

Weemanply109
14-08-11, 17:17
^^ True, I never knew bears would even try to kill themselves. Never heard of any animals that do that :yik:

FloTheMachine
14-08-11, 17:22
Mmhmm.
Its annoying how people think animals are stupid. >_>

I'd like to see a typical human hunt the way a wolf can, or catch salmon like a bear. :/

Zelda master
14-08-11, 17:22
^^ True, I never knew bears would even try to kill themselves. Never heard of any animals that do that :yik:

Ever owned a cat..? When it feels it will die it disappears and quite litterly just starves itself to death. Our cat when I was younger was found a week and a half after she disappeared (quite litterly in the garden four houses away hidden in the bushes), and was just barely alive, and died because she didn't take any water in that period...

Weemanply109
14-08-11, 17:28
Ever owned a cat..?

No I don't hence why I never knew that.

OriginalTRman
14-08-11, 19:25
the chinese are seriously ****ed up when it comes to animal welfare. they genuinely don't give a ****. :mad:

xXhayleyroxXx
14-08-11, 19:33
the chinese are seriously ****ed up when it comes to animal welfare. they genuinely don't give a ****. :mad:

As a collect whole, hell yeah. Not to be racist or anything...

voltz
14-08-11, 20:01

Well what do you expect? Inhumanity is part of the ideology their entire system is based on. They are chinese afterall.....

FloTheMachine
14-08-11, 20:07
Jeez. Its not all the Chinese who are inflicting these atrocities. :(

But I agree, certain people are very horrible when it comes to animal welfare. :(

xXhayleyroxXx
14-08-11, 20:12

But I agree, certain people are very horrible when it comes to animal welfare. :(

No, but; as a society they have a more relaxed way of looking at cruelty. Obviously they're not all like that xD

voltz
14-08-11, 20:16
No, but; as a society they have a more relaxed way of looking at cruelty. Obviously they're not all like that xD

Wait till you see how bad they are on work labor. There's a reason why we have laws against them.

Weemanply109
14-08-11, 20:21

Don't forget what Dogs go through over there :rolleyes:

voltz
14-08-11, 20:25
Don't forget what Dogs go through over there :rolleyes:

Man's best friend on a dinner plate. The #1 reason we should never be allies.

FloTheMachine
14-08-11, 20:41
Man's best friend on a dinner plate. The #1 reason we should never be allies.

I agree with this 100%.

Melonie Tomb Raider
14-08-11, 21:34
This is so sad :(

TheGermanLlama
14-08-11, 22:40

I agree with Flo. S/he took the words out of my head.

Dia2blo
14-08-11, 23:11
That's a pretty narrow view of Chinese people IMO!

However, what happened here is purely sick!

LaraDuh
15-08-11, 05:14
Poor bears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i ****ing love bears!!!!!!!!!! :(