PDA

View Full Version : Stage collapses killing 5 and injuring 45 people

Ora Dagger
14-08-11, 16:16
A stage collapses froma gust of wind at a state fair in Indiana. How scary. There's a video at the bottom of the article showing the stage falling.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44133994/ns/us_news-life?gt1=43001

FloTheMachine
14-08-11, 16:16
Oh god. D:

Tear
14-08-11, 16:19
That's terrible.:(

cezy rockeru
14-08-11, 16:28
Sad news. D:

May them RIP.

Killercowz
14-08-11, 16:29
Oh no. :(

larafan25
14-08-11, 16:32
It's nice that they all tried to lift it up.

Zelda master
14-08-11, 16:34
I already read this morning about it... Amazing to see the stage collapse never the less:o

peeves
14-08-11, 16:35
That's horrible. :(

abdul wahab
14-08-11, 16:37
Sad :(

remote91
14-08-11, 16:39
SRkdwrmzYXg

Unreal.

Zelda master
14-08-11, 16:50
I stay with my point... Amazing to see it drop like that in no time:o

Weemanply109
14-08-11, 17:08
SRkdwrmzYXg

Unreal.

My condolences to those who died and their families. :(

Zelda master
14-08-11, 17:10
It wasn't the structure that failed, it was the wind that toke it down... If the wind wasn't as hard as it was it wouldn't have fallen;)

Weemanply109
14-08-11, 17:14
It wasn't the structure that failed, it was the wind that toke it down... If the wind wasn't as hard as it was it wouldn't have fallen;)

Isn't there reasons why people build structures in certain ways to avoid such things?

Zelda master
14-08-11, 17:19
They are ment to stay up when a strong wind hits it, not winds that forshadow a storm...
The police already had a warning out that a storm was about to hit that place, they didn't do anything about it as they thought the storm was still 20 minuts of...

Now with that in mind, was this: a failure of the people who build that thing or the police not taking enough procaution, it's your choice...

Lenochka
14-08-11, 17:29
They should have canceled that **** and got everyone out of there before it got this far. ****ed up. Really sad for those who were injured and lost their lives :(

AmericanAssassin
14-08-11, 19:30
I was there a few days ago (well before the concert). It's freaking crazy. I live 20 minutes away! My boss was at that concert with his wife...

Rai
14-08-11, 20:01
Someone posted this elsewhere (not as a thread) and as I said, so horrible. RIP to those who died and my condolences to their families :(.

Edit: I didn't read anyone's posts before replying. I hope your boss and his wife are all right Alright, AmericanAssassin :(

TRhalloween
14-08-11, 20:02
God. :( That thing looked so flimsy.

Spong
14-08-11, 20:07
...If the wind wasn't as hard as it was it wouldn't have fallen;)

And if the structure had been better built, the wind wouldn't have been an issue in the first place.

Yeah, terrible footage and all that, but it's lost its impact completely since I first started seeing it this morning. BBC News24 has made it boring.

Rai
14-08-11, 20:16
They are ment to stay up when a strong wind hits it, not winds that forshadow a storm...
The police already had a warning out that a storm was about to hit that place, they didn't do anything about it as they thought the storm was still 20 minuts of...

Now with that in mind, was this: a failure of the people who build that thing or the police not taking enough procaution, it's your choice...

The winds were 60-70 mph strong. And: Article: Concert-goers told WTHR that a gust came from the west and rocked the rigging, causing some panic in the crowd prior to the stage's collapse. Evacuation efforts were already under way and the concert had been put on hold minutes before the collapse.
Something was being done. Perhaps the storm started sooner than thought. It happens. But surely a structure like that would at least hold, for a while - not just collapse so fast like that.

Weemanply109
14-08-11, 20:22
Well atleast there was a warning.

I was there a few days ago (well before the concert). It's freaking crazy. I live 20 minutes away! My boss was at that concert with his wife...

Hope you don't mind if you could update us on their welfare?

Just curious. :)

AmericanAssassin
14-08-11, 20:29
Hope you don't mind if you could update us on their welfare? Just curious. :)
They were up in the stands, so luckily they weren't harmed. I first heard about this because he texted my other boss from the fair when it happened.

The weather is very unpredictable around here, so that's why a bigger deal wasn't made. Events rarely get cancelled because of wind in Indy. If they did, everything would always be cancelled. For example, a tornado destroyed much of my neighborhood last year and I didn't even leave or go to a shelter. There's always some big storm going on. :p

Danni
14-08-11, 21:20
That footage is really really horrible to watch ;/

Apathetic
14-08-11, 21:32
Well, I know I'm still going to several fairs around here still. :p The weather has been really ****ty, especially today and yesterday.

They were up in the stands, so luckily they weren't harmed. I first heard about this because he texted my other boss from the fair when it happened.

The weather is very unpredictable around here, so that's why a bigger deal wasn't made. Events rarely get cancelled because of wind in Indy. If they did, everything would always be cancelled. For example, a tornado destroyed much of my neighborhood last year and I didn't even leave or go to a shelter. There's always some big storm going on. :p

Just be glad you don't live in North West Indiana, especially during the winter. Our lake effect is brutal.

AmericanAssassin
15-08-11, 07:51
I talked to my boss (who was there) about it today and I couldn't even believe what he was saying. His wife is a nurse, so him and her went down by the stage to help people. He said that he saw a 10 year old girl with her entire arm cut off getting carried away at one point. He also saw one person trying to revive a dead family member/friend. How horrific. My bosses voice was almost shaky when he described what he saw. :(

Shark_Blade
15-08-11, 08:00
This is dreadful. :(

sheepman23
17-08-11, 00:08
Actually, the stage at the Indiana State Fair was a temporary one, as it was made of aluminum. It wasn't made to last, which is why the wind demolished it. With a permanent stage, that woudn't happen. Which means that this is really the fault of those who built it - that's just plain careless if the thing falls over at 60-70 mph winds.

Anyway, this has been the huge talk in Iowa (where I live) for the past few days, and I've been at the IOWA State Fair, oddly enough. ;) However, our stage is steel, so there's no chance of this horrible thing happening.

Very, very sad. :(

just*raidin*tomb
17-08-11, 00:58
I saw this on the news this morning. Such a helpless feeling seeing that stage as it falls knowing all those people are going to get crushed and there's you can do about it. :(

People came to have fun and 5 people die. It's so unfair. :,o

CuteLilDragon
17-08-11, 01:01
That's terrible! :(

Alex Shepherd
17-08-11, 01:08
For all people who died... R.I.P and it is really terrible for everybody.

just*raidin*tomb
17-08-11, 01:13
I was just rewatching it. Oh my god, it's so terrifying. Everyone screaming and running. It really tears me up.

lance6439
17-08-11, 04:03
so horrible :(

Gracious Days
17-08-11, 04:20
I read an article about this just this morning and distinctly remember "4 people were killed instantly". Now to see it actually happen.... :(

Terrible.

Alpharaider47
17-08-11, 07:11
That's one performance they'll never forget.

noonbob
17-08-11, 12:29
yeah i seen this on the news the other day and i was like :eek:
those poor people :(
i get sad when i see things like this i always think that the people who died have families
imagine recieving that news

R.I.P

Avalon SARL
17-08-11, 12:36
That's very sad
May the dead rIP and the injured people get recovered ASAP

ryan91
17-08-11, 13:07
I shouldn't watch it if I want to have a normal day :D.