PDA

View Full Version : Scottish people! I call for aid!

TheGermanLlama
15-08-11, 00:41
*If this is in the wrong section, you may move it*

I'm planning a sci-fi series set in 2241 AD about two Scottish captains.

Now, in 2241 AD, Scotland is now an empire, dominating the entire British Isles. The noble people call themselves the Scottish Highlanders. It's the reigning superpower next to the Serbian Empire (which dominates all of Asia, Eastern Europe and most of North America (The United States is now the American Kingdom dominating what was once the original thirteen American colonies, the rest of North America is the Serbian Empire and New Canada)) and the French Empire (which dominates the rest of Europe and some of Africa).

My problems:

#1- I want to have a name to call the Scottish Empress. A name that's truly Scottish, one that inspires and intimidates.

#2- The Scottish flag. While the current Scottish flag is fine to use, I want to modify it so it pretty much screams to the rest of the Earth "I AM POWER!" This was my idea: Take the flag and put the icon of a crown with a sword and scepter in the back, crossing each other. Directly above that is a lion.

I welcome and appreciate any advice! =D

Encore
15-08-11, 00:45
I am not scottish but I just want to say that your idea is awesome. :D

TheGermanLlama
15-08-11, 00:54
Thank you, my friend! =D

I had some ideas to call the Scottish Empire:

The Scotia Empire

I think I need to draw this stuff down on a blank map of the world to see what it looks like...

I also have no idea what to do with Central and South America, besides merging it and calling it "The American Union", 'cept it clashes with "The American Kingdom".

Hmm....

Le' Edit: Found a blank map. Now to start drawing out the idea. Good idea if I post it here?

robm_2007
15-08-11, 00:59
I also have no idea what to do with Central and South America, besides merging it and calling it "The American Union", 'cept it clashes with "The American Kingdom".

Hmm....

Your idea sounds fun :p

As for Cen and South America, if they are to be the same entity, you could call them the The Latin Conglomerates, or something

TheGermanLlama
15-08-11, 01:02
*snaps fingers*

THE UNION OF LATIN AMERICA!

robm, you're a genius!

BtoFu
15-08-11, 01:04
First name for the Empress that came to mind was Morag. Then I laughed because it reminded me of Take the Highroad.

I always liked Kara, Morna and Chrisselle if that's any help. Frankly I don't hear many unique names in and around the city (Glasgow) - reckon you hafta hit up some of the islands to sample more.

robm_2007
15-08-11, 01:05
*snaps fingers*

THE UNION OF LATIN AMERICA!

robm, you're a genius!

That's not what I even suggested :pi:

Funto
15-08-11, 01:09
#2- The Scottish flag.

This was my idea: Take the flag and put the icon of a crown with a sword and scepter in the back, crossing each other. Directly above that is a lion.

Is this on top of that cross in the scottish flag? Why not put Mel Gibson's face while you're at it? I think there's too much going on. You can make it scream power and badassery with less info. I'd look for flags in fantasy films, games, books. They usually have something cool (and often simple) going on.

Other than that, this is an interesting idea indeed. I'd watch some sci-fi Braveheart.

TheGermanLlama
15-08-11, 01:14
Is this on top of that cross in the scottish flag? Why not put Mel Gibson's face while you're at it? I think there's too much going on. You can make it scream power and badassery with less info. I'd look for flags in fantasy films, games, books. They usually have something cool (and often simple) going on.

Other than that, this is an interesting idea indeed. I'd watch some sci-fi Braveheart.

Or I can just leave the Scottish flag how it is. That's good too. =)

But I do love this idea myself. Already drawing up what the world looks like in 2241 AD.

Encore
15-08-11, 01:16

Aren't you just stereotyping here? I honestly see nothing of Braveheart in the OP, in fact, it's quite the opposite. Where in Braveheart the scots were pretty rough people, fighting for survival and freedom, in this story they are a super power. I can't see any parallels.

TheGermanLlama
15-08-11, 01:24
Aren't you just stereotyping here? I honestly see nothing of Braveheart in the OP, in fact, it's quite the opposite. Where in Braveheart the scots were pretty rough people, fighting for survival and freedom, in this story they are a super power. I can't see any parallels.

I agree. They're one of the many superpowers of the world and would laugh themselves sick if they were told if they were still fighting for freedom and survival.

Spong
15-08-11, 01:33
...I laughed because it reminded me of Take the Highroad.

LOL, there's a blast from the past :p

[/off-topic]

TheGermanLlama
15-08-11, 01:41
Well, the map of 2241 AD world is done. Here is what it looks like.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/LinktheZora/MapofWorldin2241AD.jpg

If you can't read the words (and I know they're small), here's what it says:

The Canadian Empire
The American Kingdom
The Union of Latin America
The Hawaiian Kingdom
The Scottish Empire
The European Federation
The Asian Federation
The Republic of Africa
The Perlian Empire
Australia

As to why Australia is still Australia? Because they're just that badass, that's why. No one wants to mess with them, so they leave the Aussies alone.

Funto
15-08-11, 01:44
...that film is pretty much everything I know about Scotland. I'm sorry.

Either way, they had to start somewhere, or else how do you explain how they became this superpower*? That's when William Wallace comes in. He's from the future/space, like this (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462465/).

Of course, this would have to be saved for later - the prequel trilogy. You can thank me later, German Llama.

*If Scotland is a superpower, what do you call the serbian empire, by the way?

TheGermanLlama
15-08-11, 01:51
Oh don't worry, there's a backstory as to why the world looks the way it is. That's why I have it set in the year 2241 AD.

Weemanply109
15-08-11, 03:14
I am Scottish! :yah: but I honestly don't know how to help you. Not good with Scottish names :p

EDIT: Don't even know why I posted tbh :p

Just realised my name is Scottish :vlol: I am so dumb :rolleyes:

Check for names here

http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/sco.php

http://www.behindthename.com/name/aonghus

LaraDuh
15-08-11, 04:58
A good name would be Fergie. Yea, its Scottish.

sierra xb
15-08-11, 05:04
lol that is so classic..the Scots take over the world. :) Haggis for everyone!!!!

Legend of Lara
15-08-11, 05:10
I have an idea. Rename Iceland to "Megalomaniacal Turrets of Death" and have them sell hallucinogenic fish heads at a shady black market off the Scots' radar.

Saman
15-08-11, 08:47
Well, the map of 2241 AD world is done. Here is what it looks like.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/LinktheZora/MapofWorldin2241AD.jpg

If you can't read the words (and I know they're small), here's what it says:

The Canadian Empire
The American Kingdom
The Union of Latin America
The Hawaiian Kingdom
The Scottish Empire
The European Federation
The Asian Federation
The Republic of Africa
The Perlian Empire
Australia

As to why Australia is still Australia? Because they're just that badass, that's why. No one wants to mess with them, so they leave the Aussies alone.

Love your idea mate! I love the map!

But it is called Persian Empire, not the Perlian Empire :D Fix that please!

robm_2007
15-08-11, 08:50
Love your idea mate! I love the map!

But it is called Persian Empire, not the Perlian Empire :D Fix that please!

Maybe he spelled it differently on purpose :pi:

jackles
15-08-11, 09:46
The only Scottish names that I can think of are Nessie and Bonnie!!

Ummm what about Edana? The name of an Irish saint who came to Scotland, the name of Edinburgh was orginally Dun Edana (Edana's fortress)

source (http://www.namenerds.com/scottish/scots.html)

Saman
15-08-11, 09:57
Maybe he spelled it differently on purpose :pi:

Oh comm on! He can be spelled correct his own country United States of America and the others too, but hes can be wrote Persia as Perlia? Is it some thing like Perl on Iia?!

toxicraider
15-08-11, 10:38
Why not have the EU (sans UK) as the European Federation? Interesting idea though. :)

TheGermanLlama
15-08-11, 10:40
Oh comm on! He can be spelled correct his own country United States of America and the others too, but hes can be wrote Persia as Perlia? Is it some thing like Perl on Iia?!

Okay, okay, sorry.

Will fix immediately.

TheGermanLlama
15-08-11, 10:42
Fixed.

It's now THE MIGHTY PERSIAN EMPIRE

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/LinktheZora/MapofWorldin2241AD-1.jpg

Legend of Lara
15-08-11, 10:43
I was serious about the Megalomaniacal Turrets, by the way.

Dead serious.

TheGermanLlama
15-08-11, 10:44
The Edana Empire? Hmmm...Maybe that can be the empress!

Empress Edana I!

Saman
15-08-11, 11:21
Fixed.

It's now THE MIGHTY PERSIAN EMPIRE

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/LinktheZora/MapofWorldin2241AD-1.jpg

Thank you very much for fixing it :) I really like this one, I love the Mighty word, just awesome! ^.^

But map is very simple! Don't you think?

IMO: Additional flags, characters, colors, or any effects would be nice ;)

TheGermanLlama
15-08-11, 11:29
Right, will do. =D

*goes to work on map again*

EDIT: Done. Here it is.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/LinktheZora/MapofWorldin2241AD-2.jpg

The little blue star things are the capitals of each nation.

Okay, I know Vinland was the name the Vikings gave pre-Columbian America, but in this story, it's now the new name of Greenland.

I made Edana the empress of Scotland and gave their currency Scotia, which is a gold coin with her face minted on it.

Now, I just need to come up with the names of all the other rulers: These are what I had in mind:

The European Federation- President Louis Voltaire

The Asian Confederation- President Masami Yamamoto

The Mighty Persian Empire- Emperor Cyrus I

The American Kingdom- Queen Abigail I

The Canadian Empire- Emperor Daniel Williamson

The Union of Latin America- President Miguel Sanchez

The Kingdom of Hawaii- King Kamehameha VI

The Republic of Africa- Prime Minister

Vinland- Prime Minister Erik

Australia- Prime Minister Andrew Shelton

jackles
15-08-11, 12:17
I do think though that you would have to have the English and Welsh as a rebel force as there is no way we would be classed as European and have Scotland as a separate state! (Well yes I know we have different parliaments etc but I just can't visualise us being part of Europe if Scotland isn't!)

TheGermanLlama
15-08-11, 12:24
I do think though that you would have to have the English and Welsh as a rebel force as there is no way we would be classed as European and have Scotland as a separate state! (Well yes I know we have different parliaments etc but I just can't visualise us being part of Europe if Scotland isn't!)

Interesting that you say that, because there are multiple English, Irish, and Welsh resistance groups who refuse to accept Scottish dominion and want to be independent from Scotland, maybe some wanting to join the European Federation?

Saman
15-08-11, 12:30
Right, will do. =D

*goes to work on map again*

EDIT: Done. Here it is.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/LinktheZora/MapofWorldin2241AD-2.jpg

Nice man! Become better, keep it up :)

jackles
15-08-11, 12:30
IMO While we might have division amongst ourselves, we have a island mentality! For example I don't know anyone who wanted to have the Euro instead of the pound. What does gall people is when Scotland or Wales have better policies than us....free precriptions for example...we want them too!! :)

(and while I am English, I still regard myself as British!) ;)

I have Welsh and Scottish ancestors along with my english ones)

peeves
15-08-11, 12:43
I'm part scottish but i don't live in scotland.

BrandonFlowers
15-08-11, 12:57
This is such a cool idea :) I always knew that Scotland will become powerful one
day, afterall, we invented the deep fried mars bar :p

TheGermanLlama
15-08-11, 13:23
Awesome! =D I think I'm good with the world for now. Just working on the plotline.

I could dump some here for brainstorming ideas, if you all were interested.

peeves
15-08-11, 13:26
Awesome! =D I think I'm good with the world for now. Just working on the plotline.

I could dump some here for brainstorming ideas, if you all were interested.

OK. I hope you write something suspenseful. :mis:

TheGermanLlama
15-08-11, 13:31
OK. I hope you write something suspenseful. :mis:

That's what I want to write about to. No war or anything, though (especially not a war to protect Earth as that's been done to death). Just a collection of adventures about the two Scottish captains and their ships. (Or one ship...Can a ship have two captains? Like Captain and co-Captain?)

peeves
15-08-11, 13:32
That's what I want to write about to. No war or anything, though (especially not a war to protect Earth as that's been done to death). Just a collection of adventures about the two Scottish captains and their ships. (Or one ship...Can a ship have two captains? Like Captain and co-Captain?)

Or how about Michael Myers? :mis:

TheGermanLlama
15-08-11, 14:00
I think I'll do a captain and a second-in-command thing. It seems to work.

Captain
Commander

no?

Weemanply109
15-08-11, 14:08
Haggis for everyone!!!!

I'm Scottish and hate that **** :vlol:

TheGermanLlama
15-08-11, 14:09

I feel a lot more comfortable to say that I don't want to eat it if and when I go to Scotland.

BrandonFlowers
15-08-11, 14:51
I think I'll do a captain and a second-in-command thing. It seems to work.

Captain
Commander

no?

Yes, sounds cool.

"from here on out, I'll be your commander..." [/kellyrowland] :p

TheGermanLlama
15-08-11, 15:10
YES! 8D

Just one more question. Does a commander take orders from a captain or is it the other way around?

BrandonFlowers
15-08-11, 15:17
YES! 8D

Just one more question. Does a commander take orders from a captain or is it the other way around?

I think it all depends really, I'd say Captain is at the top so would give out orders to the Commander

TheGermanLlama
15-08-11, 15:19
That's what I think too.

Well, off to do the plot planning.

touchthesky
15-08-11, 15:22
I live in Scotland, but I'm a dirty English bugger.

sierra xb
15-08-11, 15:27

I am about 50% Scottish and i don't even want to TRY it...:P

Weemanply109
15-08-11, 15:30
I am about 50% Scottish and i don't even want to TRY it...:P

*high fives* :p

I live in Scotland, but I'm a dirty English bugger.

:vlol: