PDA

View Full Version : Best TombRaider games

pooksprat
17-08-11, 19:36
This is just my speculation:

Well Received by media (best selling/highest ratings)

Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider 2
Tomb Raider: Legend

But IMO, but best overall in terms of staying within the roots is ..

Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation
Tomb Raider: Anniversary

Those games had pure tomb raiding. Everything was relatively ancient.

Worst games in the series tend to go to

Tomb Raider Chronicles
Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness

& and most cases

Tomb Raider III -which is mainly due to it's difficulty. I find it to be the best out of the original trilogy.

Out of Crystals games:

Legend and Anniversary are highly praised, but Anniversary sold less than Chronicles making it the worst selling. I think generally Legend gets the highest reviews, but Anniversary is overall the better game.

So what do you guys think? What's the best in the series and the worst? IMO you can't go wrong with the original Trilogy (TR1-3). TR:TLR can be appreciated for returning back to exploration/ puzzle solving and focuses on a more involved plot. Chronicles pales in comparison, but the black isle levels and VCI levels are pretty impressive. Stealth was better implemented in TRC than it was in AOD. AOD is the black sheep of the series for obvious reasons. You either love it or hate it.

cezy rockeru
17-08-11, 19:43
tomb raider chronicles is,in my opinion,one of the best.

It doesn't deserve to be in the worst tr games list,really. :/

ryan91
17-08-11, 19:47
I can't believe anni sold less than chronicles. it's one of the bestests, like for realz.

_Awestruck_
17-08-11, 19:50
I love Chronicles no matter who hated it. It was a fun game albeit a little short, but that's probably because we expected something long after LR.

leglion
17-08-11, 19:52
I can't believe anni sold less than chronicles. it's one of the bestests, like for realz.

I think anniversary surpasses chronicles in the updated sales but I'm not sure.

SkyPuppy
17-08-11, 19:52
I love Chronicles no matter who hated it. It was a fun game albeit a little short, but that's probably because we expected something long after LR.

:tmb:

pooksprat
17-08-11, 19:55
I agree I think Chronicles is a bit underrated, but at that point fans and media were ready for the next generation Tomb Raider. The catsuit and last set of levels are still pretty bad ass. The Best modern levels out of the classics. They put the oil rig and area 51 levels to shame.

And I have no idea why anniversary sold so badly. I guess a remake just wasn't as appealing. Remakes don't usually sell well. Look at Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid (they'd probably done better on PS2 than on GC). After Legend, I think fans really wanted a direct sequel for plot purposes hence has to why maybe Underworld sold much better.

DgoOdz94
17-08-11, 19:57
Best: TR3/TRL/TRA

Worst: TRU

kooky
17-08-11, 19:57
Out of all the TR games, my favorites are Tomb Raider III (The Best!), TR4 - LR & Tomb Raider I, but I like all the classics & also AoD except Tomb Raider Chronicles. To me Chronicles was just way too short & really did not have no main plot to it like the classic 4 before it did, it just took place at random time periods before the main TR series. My favorite in The CD era is Tomb Raider: Anniversary. Legend & Underworld were just way too short compared to TRA.

cezy rockeru
17-08-11, 20:03
trl was well received by the media just because that monkey who was supposed to be lara looked like a skank and was 80% naked.

/fact

Avalon SARL
17-08-11, 20:09
tomb raider chronicles is,in my opinion,one of the best.

It doesn't deserve to be in the worst tr games list,really. :/

WOW,Ilove you
Someone who feelsand thinks like me :D

I favor TR2, but no doubt, TRC had better gameplay and was much fun :D

trl was well received by the media just because that monkey who was supposed to be lara looked like a skank and was 80% naked.

/fact

Well, wasn't Lara in TRL like almostsimilar to Lara in TRC; she did the very same moves :)

The difference is that, in classics Lara's motion was more geometrical and much slower

cezy rockeru
17-08-11, 20:23
they liked legend because it was a reboot of the series

it brought many new things,such as lara's looks,moves,control,gear etc. At that time,anything that was new,in any possible way,was well received.

Until you play it more,and realise it's not really worth it.

It could have been a good game,too bad they ruined it.

tomee
17-08-11, 20:36
TRU was quite ok in my opinion. TRA was better, but TRL was nowhere near TRU. actually TRL is the only one that I don't really like.

The sales looks really weird to me. TRL sold a lot more than TRA. Maybe people thought TRL would be great and when they realised how sucky it was they weren't keen on buying TRA which was actually good? This really bugs me.

Oh and I think TRC is quite unappreciated. It wasn't really long but the mini adventures were really clever.

pooksprat
17-08-11, 20:52
WOW,Ilove you
Someone who feelsand thinks like me :D

I favor TR2, but no doubt, TRC had better gameplay and was much fun :D

Well, wasn't Lara in TRL like almostsimilar to Lara in TRC; she did the very same moves :)

The difference is that, in classics Lara's motion was more geometrical and much slower

I've been playing through Chronicles recently and I've made it to red alert. You can tell Crystal took a lot of reference to Chronicles. They both have the same difficulty and length, acrobatic pole swinging, Zip, headset, grappling device, baddies who swing down from the ceiling on ropes, etc. The whole layout in Chronicles seems very linear, but well designed with nice detail. Sounds like Legend as well.

cezy rockeru
17-08-11, 20:56
TRU was quite ok in my opinion. TRA was better, but TRL was nowhere near TRU. actually TRL is the only one that I don't really like.

The sales looks really weird to me. TRL sold a lot more than TRA. Maybe people thought TRL would be great and when they realised how sucky it was they weren't keen on buying TRA which was actually good? This really bugs me.

Oh and I think TRC is quite unappreciated. It wasn't really long but the mini adventures were really clever.

exactly,they thought that if you fail once,you fail the second time too.

And it's really unfair and a shame,because tra was a great remake,and a game in general. Sure,it had weak points,but you can't even compare it with trl.

LaraDuh
17-08-11, 21:02
1. AoD
2.Tr1 2 3 4 5, legend and Anni
3.TRU

commence the hating..................................now.:ton:

Spong
17-08-11, 21:17
You know what? Everyone in this thread is right, Core is better.

Trolololol :vlol:

ryan91
18-08-11, 12:53

/fact

http://i52.************/2uxw714.gif

peeves
18-08-11, 13:13
TR5 is a perfect TR game because all the levels were good and enjoyable. TR2, TR3, TR4, and TR6 were perfect TR games too for the same reason. The atmosphere was awesome in those levels. So TR2, TR3, TR4, TR5, and TR6 are my favorite TR games. I didn't like Crystal's TR except for TRA because it was nice. The other games by CD were terrible and TR1 fell flat at times because they seemed boring at parts.