PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider Nominated For 3D World CG Award

larafan25
18-08-11, 18:26
I just spotted this on the Official Tomb Raider Blog...

Great news! The Tomb Raider Turning Point trailer has been nominated for one of 3D World’s CG Awards in the “Videogame Cinematic (FMV/Trailer) category. We’ll circle back on September 14 when they announce the winners!

http://officialtombraiderblog.tumblr.com/

Here's information about the awards...

About the 3D World CG Awards 2011
Join the celebration of the technology and artistry behind the global
CG industry

The world’s leading magazine for 3D artists and animators, 3D World has been at the heart of the CG industry for over 10 years. Now we are proud to lead a celebration of the artistry and technology that continues to wow audiences the world over. The 3D World CG Awards will recognize the work of the entire CG entertainment industry: from software and hardware developers who give us the tools and engines to drive creativity to the artists and technicians involved in pushing the boundaries of CG illustration, animation, visual effects and arch viz.

http://cgawards.3dworldmag.com/

The Tomb Raider Turning Point trailer was nominated in the CG Videogame Cinematic (FMV/Trailer) category. :D

Winners will be announced on the 14th of September.:)

CiaKonwerski
18-08-11, 18:34
As much as I would love to see it win, I doubt it will. I think people are still too hooked on Assassin's Creed, and other games like that at the moment. Tomb Raider is still kind of "eh" in some people's eyes. I wish it the best though. :)

Carbonek_0051
18-08-11, 18:37
Assassin's Creed isn't even nominated. lol

Anyway, IMO Dead Island or Star Wars: toR had better trailers. I loved TR Turning Point, but it lacked something that made it enough to beat those two in terms of quality.

CiaKonwerski
18-08-11, 18:39
Assassin's Creed isn't even nominated. lol

Anyway, IMO Dead Island or Star Wars: toR had better trailers. I loved TR Turning Point, but it lacked something that made it enough to beat those two in terms of quality.

Well you know what I mean, games that people are actually extremely interested in and have been waiting for for a long time. Tomb Raider's trailer is the best, IMO, but I think a lot of people won't vote for it just because it is Tomb Raider, they may think "wow, the last games really sucked" especially if they have no clue that this is a fresh start and a reboot.

Carbonek_0051
18-08-11, 18:43
Well you know what I mean, games that people are actually extremely interested in and have been waiting for for a long time. Tomb Raider's trailer is the best, IMO, but I think a lot of people won't vote for it just because it is Tomb Raider, they may think "wow, the last games really sucked" especially if they have no clue that this is a fresh start and a reboot.

Yet the reaction at E3 & every time the game has been shown is completely different as to what you are saying. TR has received a lot praise ever since this game was announced. Even from those who weren't fans and people who hated on the series, I've seen little to no negative reactions outside of this forum.

Dead Island had an amazing emotional aspect to it and was beautifully done. SWtoR has stunning CG, amazing music, & tons of action. TR was beautiful and everything, but it seemed lacking. It was her on a boat, then it getting wrecked, then her on a beach. Cool? Assassin's Creed deserved to be nominated, that trailer was definitely the best out of the CG trailers released this year IMO.

larafan25
18-08-11, 18:43
That's all nice and cute, but people should just be voting based on the quality of the trailer. Not the history of the games.

Carbonek_0051
18-08-11, 18:44
That's all nice and cute, but people should just be voting based on the quality of the trailer. Not the history of the games.

And they will, like I said, look at the reactions towards TR since this game was announced.

Kelly Craftman
18-08-11, 18:47
I would for TR to win but it probably wont. I think Fanboys of other franchises with out way the votes. As I see it people vote for their favourites series even if its crap. Like most awards that has a voting poll on it. If you get me

larafan25
18-08-11, 18:50
And they will, like I said, look at the reactions towards TR since this game was announced.

I didn't get a chance to read your post, but you're right. In fact, CD weren't going to E3 to necessarily advertise the game or shock. Just to let people have a look at what they've been doing and better understand the new direction they are heading in.

For only wanting to do that, they won a nice amount of awards.

_Awestruck_
18-08-11, 19:01
That's nice.

Mikky
18-08-11, 19:05
Great news and all, but I doubt it will win. Be fantastic if it did, though. :)

larafan25
18-08-11, 19:27
I just watched all of the nominations in that category (except the star wars one, the video was not available). I definitely think TR has a chance, in fact I'd even say it's on the same emotional level as the Dead Island trailer. It's just more subtle about it (if that even makes sense). It just doesn't move the same way the Dead Island trailer does. You still see this innocent character before, then you see a gruesome tragedy, then the you see the gory aftermath. You also get to see the ship and the map before and after the destruction of the ship. Not to mention how emotional the scene with Roth and Lara is, if only people better knew who Roth was.

Mikky
18-08-11, 19:35
...in fact I'd even say it's on the same emotional level as the Dead Island trailer.[/B] It's just more subtle about it (if that even makes...

I really don't think so. I didn't find the TR one emotional whatsoever. :/ It's not like anything sad happened. And the music in the Dead Island trailer was waaaaaaaaaaay better, imo.

Carbonek_0051
18-08-11, 19:38
As a TR fan it's probably more emotional, but you have to look at it from the view of people who have never played TR. It's not really emotional.

But like I said ACR > Every other 2011 CG trailer :pi:

larafan25
18-08-11, 19:44
I really don't think so. I didn't find the TR one emotional whatsoever. :/ It's not like anything sad happened. And the music in the Dead Island trailer was waaaaaaaaaaay better, imo.

As a TR fan it's probably more emotional, but you have to look at it from the view of people who have never played TR. It's not really emotional.

But like I said ACR > Every other 2011 CG trailer :pi:

Would you say the Dead Island one is emotional?

Because nobody knows who that little girl is, nor the family. Yet the trailers do the exact same thing.

They show characters torn from each other, beat up, and they show before and after of a sad and traumatic event. Tomb Raider just does it in a more cinematic way whereas the Dead Island one is cut in a more artistic and stylistic way (words from my ass, don't mind).

Carbonek_0051
18-08-11, 19:48
Yes the Dead Island one was emotional IMO, however it's more emotional because they show the little girl in peril and running, you're hoping for her to make it to her father on time (even though we know her fate already). You then see her family fighting to defend her even though they know there is no hope for her and it's actually a lot more emotional that Lara falling into water and being all bloody.

larafan25
18-08-11, 19:56
Yes the Dead Island one was emotional IMO, however it's more emotional because they show the little girl in peril and running, you're hoping for her to make it to her father on time (even though we know her fate already). You then see her family fighting to defend her even though they know there is no hope for her and it's actually a lot more emotional that Lara falling into water and being all bloody.

Okay, so that kid's family has it bad, and it's emotional...

But...

What about being the captain of the ship (I know this isn't obvious for new viewers) and having the burden of all of those passengers, then Lara, who is a close friend to him, probably like a daughter, and watching her lose grip and fall into the dark ocean.

Then this bit isn't something you can get from the trailer, but not knowing if she is alive for about 3 days.

On top of that, people will just be like "Oh this reminds me of the Titanic, I'm sad". *vote*

Carbonek_0051
18-08-11, 19:57
Yeah, no. Still not emotional to me. :/

larafan25
18-08-11, 20:01
Not to mention the parallel that can be drawn between a family just setting out to go on a nice vacation, and this young woman, with her entire life ahead of her. Then her clear motivation and dreams displayed through the voice overs, and to see her lose it all and just be stuck there on that island all bloody and hurt among all of those wrecks and her own wrecked ship.

The map is also symbolic somehow.

Maybe it just needed a constant music track.

Carbonek_0051
18-08-11, 20:02
Or it's like I said, for a TR fan it might be more emotional.

Zelda master
18-08-11, 20:05
Uhmmmm.... Jeaj..?

larafan25
18-08-11, 20:07
Or it's like I said, for a TR fan it might be more emotional.

Might. Because it's not for you. :/

I also think Lara's appearance will be remembered by voters more than the little girl.

Uhmmmm.... Jeaj..?

voabaubaloogamo?

_Awestruck_
18-08-11, 20:09
If anything made me emotional during the TR trailer, it was the "Fall 2012" part. :pi:

Avalon SARL
18-08-11, 20:11
I didn't get a chance to read your post, but you're right. In fact, CD weren't going to E3 to necessarily advertise the game or shock. Just to let people have a look at what they've been doing and better understand the new direction they are heading in.

For only wanting to do that, they won a nice amount of awards.

I agree with this :)

Carbonek_0051
18-08-11, 20:11

I also think Lara's appearance will be remembered by voters more than the little girl.
Appearance has nothing to do with why people would vote for it. It would be for a trailer that actually got them excited or made them feel something.

I'm not saying TR's trailer isn't amazing, but it's not as amazing as you're making it seem.
If anything made me emotional during the TR trailer, it was the "Fall 2012" part. :pi:

I know right? :p

Mikky
18-08-11, 20:12

Her appearance? How so?

Couldn't help but laugh at this. :p

larafan25
18-08-11, 20:14
^This so.

Appearance has nothing to do with why people would vote for it. It would be for a trailer that actually got them excited or made them feel something.

I'm not saying TR's trailer isn't amazing, but it's not as amazing as you're making it seem.

What I meant was that they'd remember Lara more. It just seems like they would as she's there getting bumped and smacked around each scene of the trailer, and it's basically telling a story about her. Mind you the other one does the same, but I think people will..just...connect more with this woman than with the little girl, and they'll immediately remember her before the little girl. Which I think would effect how they vote, maybe subconsciously.

I'm not making it seem anything. That's what it was to me. But like you said, not everyone voting is going to know all of that about the trailer. However, that's just how I felt.

leglion
18-08-11, 20:15

It's a CG award. Emotion has nothing to do with it people! the look of the CG does!

_Awestruck_
18-08-11, 20:16
But at the end of the day, aren't these awards all based on graphical quality?

Carbonek_0051
18-08-11, 20:16
@Larafan25: I'm sorry but a little girl running to her family and being bit by vicious creatures only to become one herself, attack her father, and be tossed out of a window is more memorable than some young woman being bumped around a bit while on a ship. At least Lara survived.

And sure it's about CG, but let's face it, some people don't vote for looks. Still I think ACR had better CG than the TR one. WHY WAS IT NOT NOMINATED?! /broken record

Plus, it's not saying the CG is what's nominated for, it's just that these trailers are CG and therefore qualify for the CG trailer award.

larafan25
18-08-11, 20:20
But at the end of the day, aren't these awards all based on graphical quality?

Yes

@Larafan25: I'm sorry but a little girl running to her family and being bit by vicious creatures only to become one herself, attack her father, and be tossed out of a window is more memorable than some young woman being bumped around a bit while on a ship. At least Lara survived.

And sure it's about CG, but let's face it, some people don't vote for looks. Still I think ACR had better CG than the TR one. WHY WAS IT NOT NOMINATED?! /broken record

I just feel the other is more memorable. Something links all of those dark wet halls together with that poor young woman being bashed around alone, and screaming. Regardless of emotion here. I think visually people will remember that.

Also, we know Lara is going to survive on the island, but the end of the trailer just sets her out there, nobody knows what's next. The little girl is going to be a zombie and eat people, it's implied. Lara's implication is that she has to go relive the Dead Island scenario about 30 times. Her fate kind of obscure.

leglion
18-08-11, 20:21

Plus, it's not saying the CG is what's nominated for, it's just that these trailers are CG and therefore qualify for the CG trailer award.

You're talking about people who automatically like a game because it has good graphics here...

larafan25
18-08-11, 20:24
Yes, or the Queen of England, who judged these and voted? :/

Carbonek_0051
18-08-11, 20:26
Also, we know Lara is going to survive on the island, but the end of the trailer just sets her out there, nobody knows what's next. The little girl is going to be a zombie and eat people, it's implied. Lara's implication is that she has to go relive the Dead Island scenario about 30 times. Her fate kind of obscure.
Let's face it, we all know they aren't going to kill of Lara. We all know she is going to go through hell and escape the island. Her fate isn't that Obscure.

And again this isn't "Best CG in a trailer" just "Best CG trailer", it doesn't matter about how good the CG is. It's about the trailer as a whole.

larafan25
18-08-11, 20:27
But, did the voters know that they weren't going to kill Lara off?

I mean, even some TR fans join the forum wondering if she'll escape the island. :/

leglion
18-08-11, 20:27
Yes, or the Queen of England, who judged these and voted? :/

The two largest groups to vote, i would assume, would be the 3D community and gamers. Gamers are wowed by good graphics and the 3D community is knowledgeable enough to vote technically and logically.

Carbonek_0051
18-08-11, 20:29
But, did the voters know that they weren't going to kill Lara off?

I mean, even some TR fans join the forum wondering if she'll escape the island. :/
I think everyone knows they won't kill Lara off, especially considering this is a reboot for Lara & the series. Why do a reboot if you are just going to give us deep character development then change to another character next game? Don't be silly.

AND SERIOUSLY WHY WASN'T THIS NOMINATED?!

Wo6Q14vBB1c

larafan25
18-08-11, 20:34
I think everyone knows they won't kill Lara off, especially considering this is a reboot for Lara & the series. Why do a reboot if you are just going to give us deep character development then change to another character next game? Don't be silly.

AND SERIOUSLY WHY WASN'T THIS NOMINATED?!

Wo6Q14vBB1c

That wouldn't have been as fantastic at some points had I not recognized some of the memories (memories?) being shown.

But I loved how it showed a journey, That would have been nice and would have been fit for the TR trailer.

IDK if we are getting another CGI trailer (lol doubts), but if we did I'd want it like that.

However, it still seems that what would have sold you would be a good music track playing throughout the entire trailer.

But that is a really good trailer, like really good.

CiaKonwerski
18-08-11, 21:34
I personally did not find the Assassin's Creed Revelations trailer that good IMO. I LOVE Assassin's Creed, but the trailer just seemed...really bland. All you really see is Ezio traveling, killing a few people, and then about to get executed. The only thing I liked about it was seeing Altair and the anticipation of seeing Ezio without his hood on.

Carbonek_0051
18-08-11, 21:38
Far from bland IMO, the music they used was good, the style the trailer was done is was great too. I loved he fighting, and the slow motion shots were done well. Seeing Masyaf was great and seeing Altair gave me chills, it gave you an idea they were coming full circle with the ancestors. It was just as good as all of the other AC trailer, if not better. The CG was very well done too, Ubisoft are amazing when it comes to putting detail into things.

CiaKonwerski
18-08-11, 21:48
I would have much rather seen AC nominated over Fable III, though. That game has already been out for a while, and as cute as I thought the trailer was...it didn't show much, all it showed was a chicken...lol. I do believe that Tomb Raider should win mainly because it is really the only trailer that is..relatable. I mean, Lara is human and she is going through this ordeal that is emotional and that anyone could be put in her position. Zombies, assassin's etc, isn't really possible so as much as I feel emotion from the Dead Island trailer, I do not find it relatable to me. And that is what I look for when I vote for things such as this. And the CGI in Tomb Raider just blew me away because I was not expecting it to look THAT good. AC, I kind of knew what to expect because of the Brotherhood trailer. Also, hearing Lara's voice for the first time, and in general made the trailer seem more real to me.

lance6439
18-08-11, 21:49
not going to win to be honest. TR is slowly being noticed :/

larafan25
18-08-11, 21:50
Okay, but people had to see all of the videos (I'm sure) in order to cast their votes.

It's not like "Oh I saw the gameplay for this game, it's going to be good" *vote*

It's about the CGI trailer/ cutscene.

Carbonek_0051
18-08-11, 21:50
@CiaKonwerski: You vote for things that are relatable? That's odd. I figured people would vote for trailers that were just simply good, I don't think a trailer should be relatable in order to be considered award winning. It's all art, and I think the most artistic should win.

Dead Island & ACR were far more artistic IMO, TR's seemed like a movie trailer rather than art.

larafan25
18-08-11, 21:52
@CiaKonwerski: You vote for things that are relatable? That's odd. I figured people would vote for trailers that were just simply good, I don't think a trailer should be relatable in order to be considered award winning. It's all art, and I think the most artistic should win.

Dead Island & ACR were far more artistic IMO, TR's seemed like a movie trailer rather than art.

A game is art, a movie is art, a trailer is art.

People will vote based on relatability. Subconsciously. :pi:

CiaKonwerski
18-08-11, 21:52
You vote for things that are relatable? That's odd. I figured people would vote for trailers that were just simply good, I don't think a trailer should be relatable in order to be considered award winning. It's all art, and I think the most artistic should win.

I didn't say that is ALL I look for, it is simply one thing I do look for however. And in terms of the most artistic I think TR should win as well because it was unexpected and a huge improvement from the TR Underworld teaser. That is another thing that I look for, improvement. The AC trailer to me looked the same as Brotherhood, nothing visually enhanced imo, however with TR they have come a long way and that trailer was in fact a different, unexpected, and improved artistic direction. I liked Dead Island I really did, but I feel it has all been done before, zombies as of late has bored me. Fable III, as I said earlier is still very eh, not sure why that was nominated haha.

larafan25
18-08-11, 21:55
TR would have been "artistic" if there was some nice trendy (whatever type of trend, from wherever) song was constantly playing and if the scenes were editing in a more artsy fashion.

However, the trailer was to tell a story in a different way. It did.

I think the way it just blatantly cuts from Lara in the water to her on the island follows the theme of abruptness.

Carbonek_0051
18-08-11, 21:55
^Not even what I was saying, and it doesn't need some sort of trendy music. Dead Island didn't use any amazing music, yet it was a really damn good trailer.
A game is art, a movie is art, a trailer is art.

People will vote based on relatability. Subconsciously. :pi:
Not really, I don't vote for relatability at all. If I did, I wouldn't have found any of the Kingdom Hearts trailers amazing or deserving of awards.
I didn't say that is ALL I look for, it is simply one thing I do look for however. And in terms of the most artistic I think TR should win as well because it was unexpected and a huge improvement from the TR Underworld teaser.
Unexpected = art? This is news.

It really wasn't unexpected as we had gotten an announcement of exactly what the game was going to be like 5 months before the trailer was released. None of it was really shocking, I mean we got to hear her voice, which is about as shocking as it gets. But it wasn't "ZOMG IT NEEDS AN AWARD".

larafan25
18-08-11, 21:58
Not really, I don't vote for relatability at all. If I did, I wouldn't have found any of the Kingdom Hearts trailers amazing or deserving of awards.

Relatability isn't just being able to see yourself in their shoes. As that is obviously hard to do with a game like Kingdom Hearts (although if I could go there, oh Hell). I also mentioned about it happening on a subconscious level. So it may not be something you pick up on. But relatability could mean that what you see in the trailer relates back to a feeling you had elsewhere, and stir up the emotion you had felt then. For example, my Titanic comparison from earlier.

CiaKonwerski
18-08-11, 22:02
Unexpected = art? This is news.

It really wasn't unexpected as we had gotten an announcement of exactly what the game was going to be like 5 months before the trailer was released. None of it was really shocking, I mean we got to hear her voice, which is about as shocking as it gets. But it wasn't "ZOMG IT NEEDS AN AWARD".

The artistic direction=unexpected. Are you trying to say you think the TR trailer was not artistic at all?
And actually, I did not expect to see the ship crashing in the trailer. I was expecting to see Lara already on the island fighting off some animals etc. So, to me it was unexpected and that is why I would vote for it. It should get an award because it was a new artistic direction for CD, improvement, showed what the story was really going to be like, and using their own music was nice. All together, the trailer was more original to me than those others. And that is what makes something Artistic IMO.

Carbonek_0051
18-08-11, 22:07
It wasn't unexpected though, we knew the artistic direction they were going 5 months before the trailer.

And I'm not saying it's not completely artistic, but it certainly wasn't as artistic as it could have been. It was way too short, and seemed like it chopped up a bit. All it did was show us that Lara was going to be on an island. I'm not saying ACR did anything new, but the way they executed the trailer was far better than TR's.

I don't even know why I am arguing, I forgot I was on a Tomb Raider forums. There is going to be tons of TR bias. :vlol:

larafan25
18-08-11, 22:08
It wasn't unexpected though, we knew the artistic direction they were going 5 months before the trailer.

And I'm not saying it's not completely artistic, but it certainly wasn't as artistic as it could have been. It was way too short, and seemed like it chopped up a bit. All it did was show us that Lara was going to be on an island. I'm not saying ACR did anything new, but the way they executed the trailer was far better than TR's.

What can you say about the execution of the ACR trailer?

Also the TR trailer was cut by a minute, it was originally 4 minutes of footage, but for creating the trailer they cut it down.

CiaKonwerski
18-08-11, 22:10

I don't even know why I am arguing, I forgot I was on a Tomb Raider forums. There is going to be tons of TR bias. :vlol:

Not everyone knew that...sure I knew that Square Enix was working on it and the guy that did...FFVII:Advent Children, or something like that..anyway, a lot of people on the forums knew that but still actually "seeing" it was a shock. Words are just words, you can say "It is going to look good" but unless you actually see it, I take what is said with a grain of salt, so to me and others who have most likely not been keeping track with the newest TR, I see it as unexpected. And actually it is not TR bias because I much prefer AC, FABLE, a thousand other games before Tomb Raider. :p

Carbonek_0051
18-08-11, 22:11
What can you say about the execution of the ACR trailer?

Also the TR trailer was cut by a minute, it was originally 4 minutes of footage, but for creating the trailer they cut it down.
What do you mean? I've already said the use of music was good, and the action shots. I love how in sync the music was to the action and I loved how much detail went into it. Plus how it showed the travel he went through to get to Masyaf.

TR's you can tell it was cut down, that's something that bothers me. Like I said,, it was just lacking something that I can't put my finger on.

larafan25
18-08-11, 22:11
^I see. How can you tell it was cut down though? :/

I was not expecting it to play out the way it did. I didn't know what to expect.

Carbonek_0051
18-08-11, 22:13
^I see. How can you tell it was cut down though? :/

I was not expecting it to play out the way it did. I didn't know what to expect.

Because it feels like there are pieces to it missing.

larafan25
18-08-11, 22:16
Because it feels like there are pieces to it missing.

Important pieces?

There are most likely pieces from the ACR trailer missing. They just weren't part of the trailer vision and pacing.

CiaKonwerski
18-08-11, 22:17
They showed some of what they cut in the Making of the Trailer video, but even those shots did not seem important. I do not see how anything was cut, she is on the ship, it wrecks, on the island. Sure it shows her with the bow already etc. but I think that was just to show that she will be okay, she'll find stuff to survive etc. I do not see anything that should have been in the trailer that was not already. I mean, you need to go into more detail as what you think was cut. Something from the beginning or in the middle maybe?

Carbonek_0051
18-08-11, 22:18
Important pieces?

There are most likely pieces from the ACR trailer missing. They just weren't part of the trailer vision and pacing.
No clue, but like I said it felt like it was missing something and some pieces. ACR doesn't seem like it had anything cut.
I do not see anything that should have been in the trailer that was not already.

Good for you, but I felt it was lacking and could have used more to it.

cezy rockeru
18-08-11, 23:30
congratulations. :)