PDA

View Full Version : The TR Level Tournament: Round 1, Division 7 Voting

Ward Dragon
20-08-11, 18:57
See the general thread for the tournament (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=183565) which includes all match-ups from Round 1.

Please vote for one level from each pair :)

Division 6 Results
Winners are in bold.

The Lost Valley (TR1)
Boaz Returns (AoD)

Area 51 (TR3)
The Submarine (TRC)

City of the Dead (TRLR)
Tibetan Foothills (TR2)

Galleries Under Siege (AoD)
Valley of the Kings (TRLR)

Temple Ruins (TR3)
Colosseum (TR1)

The Great Pyramid (TRLR)
Derelict Apartment Block (AoD)

The Floating Islands (TR2)
City (TR3)

Red Alert! (TRC)
The Archaeological Dig (AoD)

Seth94
20-08-11, 19:03
My votes:

Temple of Xian
Tomb of Tihocan
Desert Railroad
Citadel Gate
Louvre Galleries
Menkaure's Pyramid
Jungle
Tomb of Seth

lance6439
20-08-11, 19:06
this is only the second one i participated in :( ... i love these! :D

Ward Dragon
20-08-11, 19:12
this is only the second one i participated in :( ... i love these! :D

There are still many more to come :D There's one final match-up for this round. Then the future rounds will pit the winners against each other :D

b0bb13
20-08-11, 19:18
Totally forgot to vote in the 6th one. ;_;
Fortunately, all the levels that won were the ones that I would had voted for. xD
Except for The Lost Valley. How could Boaz Returns not win? It's such a masterpiece of a level. Like, srsly. D':

Anyderp, these be my picks~

Temple of Xian
Tomb of Tihocan
Parisian Ghetto
Labyrinth
Louvre Galleries
Catacombs of Talion
City of Vilcabamba
The Lost Domain

n.n

Saman
20-08-11, 19:46
Voted!

_
Temple of Xian (TR2)
_
Tomb of Tihocan
_
Desert Railroad (TRLR)
_
Labyrinth (TRC)
_
Louvre Galleries (AoD)
_
Menkaure's Pyramid (TRLR)
_
Jungle (TR3)
_
The Lost Domain (AoD)

Vinkula
20-08-11, 22:25
Voted. Desert Railroad was the only damn easy selection.

Blackmoor
20-08-11, 22:34
Ok, for me...

Temple of Xian
Tomb of Tihocan
Desert Railroad
Citadel Gate
Louvre Galleries
Menkaure's Pyramid
City of Vilcabamba
Tomb of Seth

Now I'll have a look what everyone else thought. :)

patriots88888
20-08-11, 22:36
Desert Railroad sucks. As much as I disliked Parisian Ghetto at least it was better than that shooter level. It was okay the first playthrough, but any subsequent playthrough it's nothing more than a tedious chore of shooting the badies just to get a crowbar... aka snooze fest. Of all the choices of seen thus far, that was by far the toughest and not for which I liked better but which one I disliked least. Tough choice there and not an easy decision by any means but one had to gain that distinction of the ultimate bore.

And why does a certain member keep voting in the spacer, like with every selection? Surely it can't be a mistake that many times. :/

Seth94
20-08-11, 23:42
Temple of Xian
Tomb of Tihocan
Desert Railroad
Citadel Gate
Louvre Galleries
Menkaure's Pyramid
City of Vilcabamba
Tomb of Seth

There had to be one we didn't agree on. :p

Also, I'm confused how Labyrinth is beating Citadel Gate so easily. Imo it's one of the weakest levels in TR5. Citadel Gate isn't a brilliant level, but it offers a lot more than Labyrinth. :)

sheepman23
21-08-11, 01:45
Red Alert! (TRC)
The Archaeological Dig (AoD)

:mad:

Desert Railroad sucks. As much as I disliked Parisian Ghetto at least it was better than that shooter level. It was okay the first playthrough, but any subsequent playthrough it's nothing more than a tedious chore of shooting the badies just to get a crowbar... aka snooze fest. Of all the choices of seen thus far, that was by far the toughest and not for which I liked better but which one I disliked least. Tough choice there and not an easy decision by any means but one had to gain that distinction of the ultimate bore.

I actually really enjoyed Desert Railroad. :) In a game that has a lot more focus on puzzles and ancient tombs, this little break from all of that with the combat, gunfights, and moving train was simply FANTASTIC. :tmb:

And why does a certain member keep voting in the spacer, like with every selection? Surely it can't be a mistake that many times. :/

Ah well, it's not like it messes up the results or anything. ;)

Also, I'm confused how Labyrinth is beating Citadel Gate so easily. Imo it's one of the weakest levels in TR5. Citadel Gate isn't a brilliant level, but it offers a lot more than Labyrinth. :)

I hate Citadel Gate. :p Such a boring, uninspired level, the worst of Cairo (and Cairo isn't exactly great anyhow). Labyrinth isn't anything particularly awesome, either, but atleast it has an amazing atmosphere and some great little bits (the chapel with the skeletons and the maze monster). :D

Blackmoor
21-08-11, 02:00
There had to be one we didn't agree on. :p

Also, I'm confused how Labyrinth is beating Citadel Gate so easily. Imo it's one of the weakest levels in TR5. Citadel Gate isn't a brilliant level, but it offers a lot more than Labyrinth. :)Yeah, it was a toughie choosing between Jungle (TR3) and City of Vilcabamba (TR1) because I love both. Vilcabamba just pipped it for me because there's something so beautiful about it, with it's little pool of water and wolves jumping out all over the place. Hey, we were close this time though! :)

As for Citadel Gate v. Labyrinth... Yeah! Who voted for TR5?! :rolleyes: :D

Romantics Inc.
21-08-11, 05:38
Vilcamba was my least favorite level in TR1, and Jungle is one of the best in TR3...one f the only exceptions when I will pick any level over a TR1 lvl.

peeves
21-08-11, 09:54
I chose:

Meteorite Cavern
Temple of Karnak
Parisian Ghetto
Labyrinth
Louvre Galleries
Catacombs of the talion
Jungle
Lost Domain

Seth94
21-08-11, 11:04
Yeah, it was a toughie choosing between Jungle (TR3) and City of Vilcabamba (TR1) because I love both. Vilcabamba just pipped it for me because there's something so beautiful about it, with it's little pool of water and wolves jumping out all over the place. Hey, we were close this time though! :)

Peru was my least favourite section of TR1. City of Vilcabamba didn't have many puzzles and visually wasn't that great. :)

As for Citadel Gate v. Labyrinth... Yeah! Who voted for TR5?! :rolleyes: :D

I know, lol. :D

Dark Wiseman
21-08-11, 12:37
Only difficult ones for me this time were "Labyrinth" versus "Citadel Gate" (both were awful) and "The Lost Domain" versus "Tomb of Seth" (both were decent). Everything else was an easy choice.

LNSNHGTDS
21-08-11, 12:50
Temple of Xian (TR2)
Meteorite Cavern (TR3)
Temple of Karnak (TRLR)
Tomb of Tihocan (TR1)

(I'm sorry but at the first two pairs I just couldn't choose :o ... )

Parisian Ghetto (AoD)
Labyrinth (TRC)
Louvre Galleries (AoD)
Catacombs of the Talion (TR2)
Jungle (TR3)
Tomb of Seth (TRLR)

sheepman23
21-08-11, 14:02
Reasons for each choice:

Temple of Xian: One of my Top 3 levels of the series, so yeah. It's perfection from top to bottom. :D

Temple of Karnak: I originally was going to go with Tomb of Tihocan on this one... but I don't know, something about ToK is just really calm and peaceful, and the walking on water thing was just incredible. :D Plus, I feel that ToT's first half is a bore-fest, although the second half is purely awesome. :tmb:

Desert Railroad: Loved this one, the action-packed madness aboard a moving train serves as a very nice break from the "tomby" locations that we've gotten used to. :tmb: Parisian Ghetto... is a disaster. :pi:

Labyrinth: To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of either, but atleast Labyrinth goes for some innovation with the skeleton chapel and the maze monster. Citadel Gate is a hoard of unoriginal ideas in one of the most boring sections of the series, Cairo. :(

Louvre Galleries: The best level of AoD, and one that probably makes it into my Top 20. There's just... nothing like infiltrating the Louvre. Throw in that juicy background music track, and this is brilliance. :tmb:

Catacombs of the Talion: I've said this before, but Tibet levels are pure excellence on every level, and this is no exception. I won't deny that I loved Menkaure's Pyramid, though, especially that opening encounter with the giant scorpions. :cln:

Jungle: While City of Vilcabamba is amazingly memorable to me, I must give it to Jungle here for being a solid opening TR level (and a nice little challenge :mis:).

Tomb of Seth: Quite a cool "tomby" experience to begin TRLR with, and although The Lost Domain is kind of cool, it's too short to compare with ToS. ;)

patriots88888
21-08-11, 14:28
I actually really enjoyed Desert Railroad. :) In a game that has a lot more focus on puzzles and ancient tombs, this little break from all of that with the combat, gunfights, and moving train was simply FANTASTIC. :tmb:

As I said, with the first playthrough it's okay (even though it's not what I would consider a TR level). However, it is certainly one of the worst levels of any TR game for replay value if not THE WORST. As much as I dislike PG at least there are a few options in that level to keep it somewhat entertaining when replayed ie... which person to speak to first and to present the trinket box to for passage into St. Aicard's Cemetary, who to bet on in the boxing match, etc... With Desert Railroad there are no such options at all, everything is so straightforward, linear and boring so it brings any replay value way down... and I mean WAY DOWN. :p

DgoOdz94
21-08-11, 14:32
Voted! :tmb: These choices have been getting harder to make! D:

peeves
21-08-11, 15:04
As I said, with the first playthrough it's okay (even though it's not what I would consider a TR level). However, it is certainly one of the worst levels of any TR game for replay value if not THE WORST. As much as I dislike PG at least there are a few options in that level to keep it somewhat entertaining when replayed ie... which person to speak to first and to present the trinket box to for passage into St. Aicard's Cemetary, who to bet on in the boxing match, etc... With Desert Railroad there are no such options at all, everything is so straightforward, linear and boring so it brings any replay value way down... and I mean WAY DOWN. :p

I thought Parisian Ghetto was epic.

sheepman23
21-08-11, 19:22
Parisian Ghetto is a bore-fest. There were some cool elements to it, like the music, the huge and open feeling, and the conversations... but jeez a wheez, having to constantly go through those long loading screens was awful. There's very little to do around the ghetto besides talking to people, and where are the cops? Are they even CHASING Lara anymore? It's just stupid. :rolleyes:

Seth94
21-08-11, 19:46
I liked both Desert Railroad and Parisian Ghetto tbh, but I found Parisian Ghetto to be more boring on replay, which is why I voted for Desert Railroad. :)

sheepman23
21-08-11, 22:36
Hmm, no close matchups as of right now... that'd be a first for one of these polls. :p

Seth94
21-08-11, 22:44
Hmm, no close matchups as of right now... that'd be a first for one of these polls. :p

I think the next division of matchups will be much closer. There wasn't really any difficult votes for me in this division. :)

sheepman23
22-08-11, 11:33
Voting ends tomorrow everyone, and then Division 8 is next! After that, we'll start on Round 2, which (as Ward Dragon said) has the winners from Round 1 being paired against eachother. :)

aidanmalone
22-08-11, 11:41
Looking forward to round 2 ;)
It seems TR2 levels beat most other levels :)

Rai
22-08-11, 11:54
Voted. Had to remind myself of a couple of the levels and in one case I had to choose the lesser of two evils again :p

sheepman23
22-08-11, 12:14
Looking forward to round 2 ;)
It seems TR2 levels beat most other levels :)

TR2 RULES!!!!! :tmb:

peeves
22-08-11, 22:35
TR2 RULES!!!!! :tmb:

TR3 beats TR2.

sheepman23
22-08-11, 22:38
TR3 beats TR2.

If we include The Lost Artifact as a part of TR3, then it definitely beats TR2 (although I haven't played TR2 Gold yet)... but not including Gold games? TR2 wins. I love TR3, and it's my second-favorite of the series, but TR2 is easily my favorite. :D

Speaking of which: I kind of wish that we had included Gold games in this poll... but eh, I realize that several have not played them, so it might not work very well. I myself have only played TR3 Gold.

Dark Wiseman
23-08-11, 10:54
The thing I have always found amusing about my own preferences is that my order of favorite to least favorite completely flips depending on whether it's the original games or the golds. For the original games, it's TR>TRII>TRIII, whereas for the gold's, it's TRIII>TRII>TR.

You really should play the other TR Gold's, sheep. Especially TRII Gold. :D

sheepman23
23-08-11, 13:07
The thing I have always found amusing about my own preferences is that my order of favorite to least favorite completely flips depending on whether it's the original games or the golds. For the original games, it's TR>TRII>TRIII, whereas for the gold's, it's TRIII>TRII>TR.

You really should play the other TR Gold's, sheep. Especially TRII Gold. :D

I want to so badly. :( I think I'm getting TR2 for PC pretty soon, so I'll download The Golden Mask ASAP. :jmp: And interesting - my preference for the classic trilogy is TR2 > TR3 > TR1 (although I love them all :D), and right now? The Lost Artifact has been an amazing game for me, I'll have to see how Golden Mask compares. :tmb:

Ward Dragon
23-08-11, 23:53
The final poll of Round 1 will be up shortly :)