PDA

View Full Version : United States East Coast Earthquake - 5.9

matrix54
23-08-11, 18:12
Did ANYONE ELSE FEEL THAT? :eek:

An Earthquake from Virginia made it's way ALL THE WAY UP TO NEW YORK! People still can't believe it! I can't believe it!

Excuse me, 5.9

hollister
23-08-11, 18:13
OMG im in jersey and i felt it!!! it woke me up.. the whole house was shaking like crazy!

Killercowz
23-08-11, 18:14
Just felt it!

It was so much fun! :D

My laptop screen started shaking. :vlol:

I want more!

dizzydoil
23-08-11, 18:17
http://s.duck.me.uk/Screenshot-2011-08-23_19.12.13.png

:eek: I'm glad you all enjoyed it. :p

Let's hope it has little aftershocks. :hug:

interstellardave
23-08-11, 18:18
I'm much closer to the epicenter than NY (Maryland)... and it wasn't fun! Our house was swaying back and forth, everything was shaking including my wife and I.

We still feel kind of shaky!

trlestew
It woke me outta my sleep. Our cat, dad and I ran out the building (Along with everyone else in our condominium)
I was scared. ._.
This was the first earthquake most people felt on the East Coast. Like, earthquakes in D.C.? What is this!?

matrix54
I thought I was a little dizzy. I was thinking "Is something on my bed breaking? Why is it shaking? Did something just break in? WHY IS THE BUILDING CREAKING!?"

trlestew
23-08-11, 18:29
We might have some aftershocks...I'm scared to go back to sleep.

matrix54
23-08-11, 18:34
we probably wont have anymore. :p

Romantics Inc.
23-08-11, 18:36
Hehe nope I was sleeping. When I say an earthquake wont wake me up...I mean it. :)

trlestew
23-08-11, 18:37
I honestly think those in New York did not feel much of it.

matrix54
23-08-11, 18:39
People in NY had to be Evacuated.

...and I'm in Jersey, just sitting in my room, feeling confused. :vlol:

interstellardave
23-08-11, 18:41
A lot of buildings in Baltimore city were evacuated. I'm on vacation at home and everyone came out of their houses just going "WTF?". Cell phone service has been out since the quake too.

peeves
23-08-11, 18:47
It happened where i live too but i didn't feel nothing much. My father and mother felt it though.

Ora Dagger
23-08-11, 18:52
I felt it. It was strange, I've never felt one before. My windows were shaking:pi: Now their talking about after shocks on the news. It didn't feel very big where I live though. (Roanoke)

dizzydoil
23-08-11, 18:58
Now that the earthquake is done, get ready for Hurricane IRENE ya'll. It's gonna be mental this year (apparently).

matrix54
23-08-11, 18:59
Still waiting for that black hole...

gtkilla
23-08-11, 19:12
I honestly think those in New York did not feel much of it.

We felt it, but not as much as everyone else. My whole room was shaking for a good 30 to 40 seconds. It was kinda scary.

Bumio
23-08-11, 19:20
I just heard about it, I hope there will be no aftershocks :/

TheGermanLlama
23-08-11, 19:24
Me too.

Aaaand apparently our Washington Monument decided to tilt just a tad.

Lenochka
23-08-11, 19:28
Dammit, slept through that bitch! :vlol: apparently people here in Michigan felt it too.

trlestew
23-08-11, 19:29
Call us paranoid, but we're packing just in-case of aftershocks. The building we're in isn't exactly the definition of "Structurally sound" if you get what I'm saying...

innocentvenus
23-08-11, 19:55
I felt it here in Southern NJ, It was pretty cool. I live within the evac. zone for Oyster Creek Power Plant and they said we experienced an unprecedented incident. For that plant, which is the oldest in the country, we expected that lol.

Anyone on the east coast preparing for Hurricane Irene this weekend?

Gamd1011
23-08-11, 19:56
Dammit, slept through that bitch! :vlol: apparently people here in Michigan felt it too.

me too.:p

Ora Dagger
23-08-11, 19:59
:p^my mom slept through it

Gamd1011
23-08-11, 20:04
:p^my mom slept through it
and your in virginia too! :vlol:

Weemanply109
23-08-11, 20:12
This year has been full of earthquakes and disasters :p

hollister
23-08-11, 20:29
Photo of devastation from the East Coast earthquake

http://www.grist.org/i/assets/earthquake_devastation

Weemanply109
23-08-11, 20:32
That's almost as horrible as Japan's earthquake :ton:

trlestew
23-08-11, 21:00
C'mon guys; has anyone who ever lived on the East Coast their entire life ever experience a 5.9 magnitude earthquake? It's pretty scary, no matter the fact that there was no devastation (A few structures crumpled but nothing too serious)
Everyone's just making it out as a joke. :|

just*raidin*tomb
23-08-11, 21:00
I was in my biology lab on the 4th floor of a 5 story building when it happened. That wasn't scary or anything...

WE NEVER GET EARTHQUAKES SO THIS IS JUST NUTS. :eek:

matrix54
23-08-11, 21:30
Earthquakes on the east coast are VERY rare. People are scare for a reason. I think once ever 300 or so years.

just*raidin*tomb
23-08-11, 21:37
Earthquakes on the east coast are VERY rare. People are scare for a reason. I think once ever 300 or so years.

My mother said when she was younger there were a few earthquakes here and she's about 50.

There was also a 2.something earthquake near Asheville North Carolina about a year ago. :p

But still an earthquake this size is quite rare.

sierra xb
23-08-11, 23:34
Welcome to our world (west coast). I can imagine that even a 5.9 would be a bit freaky to people who haven't felt them before...I guess we are just used to them out here in California. Anything less than a 5.0 and we don't even really notice much. Of course, if we ever get some of your huge snowstorms, we'd probably react the same way.

A word to the wise from someone with earthquake experience...expect and be prepared for aftershocks, even if they never happen. The region around Maryland and Virginia seems to be an old rift zone (possibly centered around the Potomac River), and is still very capable of creating large earthquakes, although very rare. So the best thing is to be prepared and do not assume that it is over!!!!

trlestew
23-08-11, 23:41
Welcome to our world (west coast). I can imagine that even a 5.9 would be a bit freaky to people who haven't felt them before...I guess we are just used to them out here in California. Anything less than a 5.0 and we don't even really notice much. Of course, if we ever get some of your huge snowstorms, we'd probably react the same way.

A word to the wise from someone with earthquake experience...expect and be prepared for aftershocks, even if they never happen. The region around Maryland and Virginia seems to be an old rift zone (possibly centered around the Potomac River), and is still very capable of creating large earthquakes, although very rare. So the best thing is to be prepared and do not assume that it is over!!!!

Thanks for saying this. :tmb:
Most the people I know (except my dad) are saying "It's over" and that there would be no aftershocks. I've never been over to the West, but I heard how frequent quakes are over there.

Encore
23-08-11, 23:45
I want more!

Are you sure? O_o I've never felt a proper earthquake in my life, but honestly, they scare me, and I hope I never do.

Specially because my home city is near an important fault line.

We had one of the biggest earthquakes in history (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisbon_earthquake).

And local experts say that the next "big one" could be close. :(

sierra xb
23-08-11, 23:50
Thanks for saying this. :tmb:
Most the people I know (except my dad) are saying "It's over" and that there would be no aftershocks. I've never been over to the West, but I heard how frequent quakes are over there.

Well i got involved with earthquakes more than most people I suppose...have a degree in geology and have worked with the seismology (earthquake) laboratory at my university, as well as the Nevada State Geological Survey.. We studied earthquakes in both Nevada and California, and have alot of experience in dealing with them. We always promoted being prepared, no matter where you live. There is no part of the US that cannot have an earthquake at some point...we just get more of them here because of the San Andreas Fault system (it is always moving), and the Cascade volcanos. Our geology is much more active out this way, but you guys have to deal with worse weather.

In any case, hope everyone back east is doing ok. You guys might want to have enough suppiles (food and water, batteries, meds, etc) to last for at least three days JUST IN CASE there are more/bigger quakes. If you don't use them then save them for your next monster snowstorm :) but better to have that on hand.

Killercowz
23-08-11, 23:51
Are you sure? O_o I've never felt a proper earthquake in my life, but honestly, they scare me, and I hope I never do.

Specially because my home city is near an important fault line.

We had one of the biggest earthquakes in history (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisbon_earthquake).

And local experts say that the next "big one" could be close. :(

Well the serious ones aren't fun at all, in fact your position is quite frighting. O_o
I'd be so scared.

I did find the one I experienced today to be quite exhilarating though.

just*raidin*tomb
23-08-11, 23:56
Well the serious ones aren't fun at all, in fact your position is quite frighting. O_o
I'd be so scared.

I did find the one I experienced today to be quite exhilarating though.

I agree.

And I was watching the news and they said not to expect any aftershocks. And I haven't felt anything since it happened about 7 hours ago.

sierra xb
23-08-11, 23:59
I agree.

And I was watching the news and they said not to expect any aftershocks. And I haven't felt anything since it happened about 7 hours ago.

Don't trust the news, trust the geologists. It is true that it isn't likely to have aftershocks, but you can't rule them out completely. This is an earthquake we are talking about...why take the chance? Just be prepared for anything.

King.Louie
24-08-11, 00:20
I didn't feel it

Ward Dragon
24-08-11, 00:21
I was at work today and I think I was in the copy machine room when it hit because I didn't notice anything (that machine shakes the room anyway XD). My mother was in a different building a few miles away and she felt the earthquake though.

scoopy_loopy
24-08-11, 00:26
Eep!

just*raidin*tomb
24-08-11, 01:59
Don't trust the news, trust the geologists. It is true that it isn't likely to have aftershocks, but you can't rule them out completely. This is an earthquake we are talking about...why take the chance? Just be prepared for anything.

But it was a geologist on the news who said it.

But I have zero earthquake experience so what would I know? :p

t-raider26
24-08-11, 02:16
I was on the subway when it happened. The train stopped and everything started shaking for about 15-20 seconds. I'm all the way in Toronto. It was some pretty scary **** :/

MattTR
24-08-11, 02:17
Wow that's insane.. :eek:

I didn't feel anything down here in Florida, guess I'm too far south.. hope everyone is okay. :(

sheepman23
24-08-11, 02:40
Hmm, interesting. I don't think the shocks affected Iowa at all - the dead center of the Midwest. XD (It seems that there's no one else on TRF who lives close to me :p) I've never felt an earthquake in my life, actually. And I hope I never do. :whi:

hitnrun017
24-08-11, 02:45
Ugh I'm so upset! I've always wanted to feel an earthquake! Was at work today and my manager was upstairs and radio-ed down "did you guys feel that?!" and we just made fun of her. We didn't feel a thing.

sierra xb
24-08-11, 03:51
But it was a geologist on the news who said it.

But I have zero earthquake experience so what would I know? :p

the problem is that even the best geologist cannot predict earthquake activity, so I would tend not to trust someone that says it WON'T happen...more than a few people around the world have been caught by surprise by some geological event that wasn't supposed to happen. I have seen (and felt) earthquakes that have done some crazy things that were not supposed to happen, or to show up in places where they should never be found. Once again, the best policy is just to be prepared and expect the unexpected....works for tornados too :)

just*raidin*tomb
24-08-11, 05:01
the problem is that even the best geologist cannot predict earthquake activity, so I would tend not to trust someone that says it WON'T happen...more than a few people around the world have been caught by surprise by some geological event that wasn't supposed to happen. I have seen (and felt) earthquakes that have done some crazy things that were not supposed to happen, or to show up in places where they should never be found. Once again, the best policy is just to be prepared and expect the unexpected....works for tornados too :)

Absolutely! Thanks!

Now tornadoes are something I DO have personal experience with. :pi:

dizzydoil
24-08-11, 08:41
http://filesmelt.com/dl/godbless.jpg

cezy rockeru
24-08-11, 09:23
2012. http://xr3club.forumwise.com/images/smilies/xr3club/icon_trollface-emoticon-4.gif

TheGermanLlama
24-08-11, 11:01
So, pretty much the worst thing that happened was our Washington Monument tilting and even then, it wasn't noticeable.

the ancient
24-08-11, 11:18

:vlol: That's a good one

Nenya awakens
24-08-11, 12:41

:vlol:

TheGermanLlama
24-08-11, 13:14
The fallen chair. XD

The WORST thing that has happened! D= How will we EVAH survive?! :vlol:

klona
24-08-11, 13:27
How does an Earthquake feel because i never had one in my life. O_o

TheGermanLlama
24-08-11, 13:29

From what I understand, the ground is shaking under your feet. Everything's shaking. Ever been on a bed and had someone shake the mattress? It's like that, except it's happening in the Earth itself and everything is shaking.

Sometimes it's nothing, just a little freak out. Other times, it's horrific as the very ground itself splitting open.

klona
24-08-11, 13:31
From what I understand, the ground is shaking under your feet. Everything's shaking. Ever been on a bed and had someone shake the mattress? It's like that, except it's happening in the Earth itself and everything is shaking.

Sometimes it's nothing, just a little freak out. Other times, it's horrific as the very ground itself splitting open.

That's scary! :eek:
Is it like an Endless pit to Earth's Core?

TheGermanLlama
24-08-11, 14:01
That's scary! :eek:
Is it like an Endless pit to Earth's Core?

I doubt it, but depending on the severity of the quake, it can be deep.

Check out the earthquake that struck San Francisco in the early 1900s.

klona
24-08-11, 14:15
This one?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1906_San_Francisco_earthquake

LaraDuh
24-08-11, 15:09
i was on my laptop here in Ohio when the shaking knocked me out of my bed 0.o i was freaking out

interstellardave
24-08-11, 16:36
People like to make light of eastern seaboard earthquakes... and this one wasn't big enough to cause much damage. The thing is, however, that a more powerful quake--along the lines of the ones that do considerable damage out west--would do even more damage across a much larger area in the east. Add in the fact that most buildings out here are not built to withstand earthquakes and you've got a big potential problem.

Ora Dagger
24-08-11, 16:56
so im guessing there werent any aftershocks?

TheGermanLlama
24-08-11, 17:03
Guess not.

LaraDuh
24-08-11, 17:04
^ i dont think so.......i certainly didnt feel any.

interstellardave
24-08-11, 17:12
2 aftershocks were reported. Much smaller... I didn't feel them, personally.

hollister
24-08-11, 17:49
Mod edit: image removed due to censor circumvention

leglion
24-08-11, 17:54
Mod edit: spam removed

sierra xb
24-08-11, 18:00

they can feel very different depending on what the ground underneath is like....very shallow dirt on top of rock will only feel a couple of jolts, like if someone ran into your house with a car, but that's about it. Deeper soil will make things vibrate, and then really deep soil can feel like you are on big ocean waves. Also, there are at least three different kinds of earthquake waves, P, S, and surface waves, they travel back and forth, up and down, side to side, so depending on where you are, you could be moving any direction, and most times more than one. Here's a little article if you'd like to read up on it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seismic_wave

I have felt dozens of earthquakes of all kinds and sizes (including some bigger ones), and they are all a bit different.

klona
24-08-11, 19:03
^ Thanks for the info, i'll read it right now. :D

cbragg09
24-08-11, 19:13
im in west virginia, the state right next to virginia

...and i didnt feel anything

Weemanply109
24-08-11, 20:24
Isn't there a hurricane coming towards the US atm?

Good luck :p

Mod edit: spam in quote removed

Dark Lugia 2
24-08-11, 20:41
Did anyone get injured? Any damaged buildings? 5.9 is quite strong for an earthquake, isn't it? :/

:vlol:!

TRLegendLuver
24-08-11, 20:49
It was so much fun! :D
I want more!

Don't let the people in Japan hear you right now... :pi:

Seriously, I've been in earthquakes before even bigger and smaller than a 5.9 and I can't possibly imagine how its fun. The ground is literally and the possibility of splitting beneath your feat as the tectonic plates are moving, which is obviously, dangerous.

matrix54
24-08-11, 22:15
I think he/she means a small, meaningless earthquake. Why on earth would anyone would anything extreme? Please don't make it personal lol

TheGermanLlama
24-08-11, 22:30
I think so too. Why would anyone want the very ground beneath their feet to split open?

Weemanply109
24-08-11, 22:35
Cause it pumps your adrenaline and you feel ****ing alive :cool:

I am actually joking..

matrix54
24-08-11, 22:45
Actually, adrenaline is one thing. That I understand, and given the situation.

Buildings falling, and what not. No one wants that, unless they are cold and heartless.

Weemanply109
24-08-11, 22:46
Actually, adrenaline is one thing. That I understand, and given the situation.

Buildings falling, and what not. No one wants that, unless they are cold and heartless.

Well, barely anything bad came out of this and those that claim to be devastated by the situation are overreacting :vlol:

matrix54
24-08-11, 23:16
Did you not see the chair that fell over!? :yik:

R.I.P. Chair. :(

TheGermanLlama
24-08-11, 23:26
I know! :shock: That horrible, horrible quake!! D=

sierra xb
24-08-11, 23:29
Did anyone get injured? Any damaged buildings? 5.9 is quite strong for an earthquake, isn't it? :/

People have died in smaller earthquakes, and yes 5.9 is fairly large. Death rates in earthquakes often depend more on how well constructed the buildings are than just a straight magnatude number. Also yes, there was widespread (but so far minor) damage across large portions of Virginina and Maryland.

Don't let the people in Japan hear you right now... :pi:

Seriously, I've been in earthquakes before even bigger and smaller than a 5.9 and I can't possibly imagine how its fun. The ground is literally and the possibility of splitting beneath your feat as the tectonic plates are moving, which is obviously, dangerous.

that's not quite how it works, but we definitely get the idea...we are very used to the ground being...oh, what's the word...stable, and ANYTIME it moves, it can be a frightening experience (especially for people who have never felt one).

Cause it pumps your adrenaline and you feel ****ing alive :cool:

I am actually joking..

I seriously hope you are joking (yes I see the white text), because while it may have the effect you mentioned, it can just as quickly kill you in the next second...and where is the fun in that?

Well, barely anything bad came out of this and those that claim to be devastated by the situation are overreacting :vlol:

That's a little harsh...even a minor calamaty can be "devestating" to people who have no experience with it. You also might want to read some of the damage reports, which although minor, were widespread. There were broken water and gas lines, and even damage to the Washington Monument and the Washington Cathederal. What is your definition of "barely anything"? Oh, just another point to mention...much of the damage cannot be covered by insurance because...you guessed it...practically no one back east has earthquake insurance. It may not have been 'devestating' in terms of lives or major damage, but it is going to cost quite alot to repaior, and all out-of-pocket.

LaraCablara
24-08-11, 23:52
I work in an old apartment building :p. I felt it quite good. We all were told to evacuate the building.

Good excuse not to do work :D. But it is kinda pointless to evacuate a building just so stand outside a crowded street with even taller buildings out there. New York is not suited for this :(.

TRLegendLuver
25-08-11, 03:46
that's not quite how it works, but we definitely get the idea...we are very used to the ground being...oh, what's the word...stable, and ANYTIME it moves, it can be a frightening experience (especially for people who have never felt one).

Actually, it is how works (referring to tectonic plates mentioning), but okay. A lot of people are used to the ground being stable, but making fun of it and enjoying it is not a good thing. Its serious and its dangerous.

sierra xb
25-08-11, 04:16
Actually, it is how works (referring to tectonic plates mentioning), but okay.

Sorry, but actually not quite (geologist here). Most earthquakes are not caused directly by tectonic plate movement, unless you happen to be at a tectonic place boundary, like out here in California. The east coast for example is nearly 3,000 miles from the nearest plate edge. The tectonic plate motion creates movement at the edges and can cause crustal stress everwhere else, but many earthquakes happen for other reasons and are not tectonically related. Almost every earthquake on the planet happens because of this stress build-up, and NOT because of actual plate movement, so unless an earthquake happens right on a plate edge, you can have earthquakes without the plates actually moving.

Sorry, had to point this out...the earth "splitting" open is unbelieveably rare and is not something caused directly by the fault itself. Cracks can sometimes happen if the ground moves the right way and has the right kind of soil, but it doesn't work like they show in the movies where a crack will open up and swallow someone. The only kinds of faults that can open up that way are at the bottom of the oceans and in Iceland, and they always have lava inside them when they do. Here's some info on the different kinds of earthquake faults...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fault_(geology)

TRLegendLuver
25-08-11, 05:31
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fault_(geology)

Haha, a Wikipedia reference. :vlol:

-----

On topic, people need to realize that 5.9 is average but not terribly serious. People I know that were in the center of it, were either freaking out about or going into a hysterical fit. I know people may not be used to earthquakes, but suffice to say, it's no reason to freak out majorly and having a stroke over it.

matrix54
25-08-11, 05:38
people are in shock because we don't get many earthquakes on this side of the country, compared to California.

TRLegendLuver
25-08-11, 05:41
people are in shock because we don't get many earthquakes on this side of the country, compared to California.

I'm aware of this (as I already mentioned) but compare the events that happened in Japan and it's nothing. People are acting like the world's gonna end.

sierra xb
25-08-11, 05:51
Haha, a Wikipedia reference. :vlol:

-----

On topic, people need to realize that 5.9 is average but not terribly serious. People I know that were in the center of it, were either freaking out about or going into a hysterical fit. I know people may not be used to earthquakes, but suffice to say, it's no reason to freak out majorly and having a stroke over it.

The wiki reference serves it's purpose. You said you have earthquake experince right? Well that means for you, earthquakes in this range are not something to be terribly concerned over, but you have to put yourself in the position of someone who is new to this experience. Like for me, earthquakes don't bother me because i spent years studying them, and I have been through many...even so, i'd still run like hell if a truly big earthquake happened. But on the other hand, if I was exposed to an F3 tornado, I'd probably freak as well, because I have never been near one...while by contrast, friends of mine who live with tornados all the time don't even worry about them unless it walks over their house.

For anyone with half a brain, anything new and potentially deadly can (and should) be frightening. It is your survival mode kicking in. Look at it this way, do you think that the people back east KNEW that the quake would only be a 5.9...WHILE it was happening? There is no way to know how bad it will get until it is over. Also, I am sure that for many people, the memory of seeing the Japanese earthquake was still pretty fresh in their minds. This is human nature for people to react this way. IMO it would be better if you'd be a bit more understanding. Millions of people went through a frightening experience, and it helps to be a little sympathetic (or in our case, empathetic, since we have had a common experience), instead of stating how they should or shouldn't react.

matrix54
25-08-11, 05:56
you can't compare a nation disaster to a small earth quake. But, really, experience is relative to the person who experiences it. If someone gets a paper cut, and they plunge themselves off a cliff, they, apparently, took the paper cut pretty hard.

sierra xb
25-08-11, 06:04
you can't compare a nation disaster to a small earth quake. But, really, experience is relative to the person who experiences it. If someone gets a paper cut, and they plunge themselves off a cliff, they, apparently, took the paper cut pretty hard.

The point I was making was their possible mindset DURING the earthquake as a contributing factor to their reactions...no one knew that it wasn't something major until it was over, so the comparison was valid.

Weemanply109
26-08-11, 22:45
Did you not see the chair that fell over!? :yik:

R.I.P. Chair. :(

That's a little harsh...even a minor calamaty can be "devestating" to people who have no experience with it. You also might want to read some of the damage reports, which although minor, were widespread. There were broken water and gas lines, and even damage to the Washington Monument and the Washington Cathederal. What is your definition of "barely anything"? Oh, just another point to mention...much of the damage cannot be covered by insurance because...you guessed it...practically no one back east has earthquake insurance. It may not have been 'devestating' in terms of lives or major damage, but it is going to cost quite alot to repaior, and all out-of-pocket.

tl;dr (Sorry :p)

matrix54
23-08-12, 23:51
It's the anniversary. :vlol:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/431084_495237650504877_1431175783_n.jpg

Sorry to bump the thread, but I didn't want to clutter the others, or make a new one.

trlestew
24-08-12, 00:26
I still don't find it funny. Yes, the damage was close to none in the most part, but earthquakes along the East Coast are rare. So rare, most people didn't have a clue what to do to protect themselves. Imagine if another earthquake, one that was actually serious, were to occur?

I can infer Washington D.C's infrastructure isn't ready for it, and the people don't seem so either.

Encore
24-08-12, 00:44

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/431084_495237650504877_1431175783_n.jpg

Sorry to bump the thread, but I didn't want to clutter the others, or make a new one.

Lol. Okay, I admit, this made me laugh. :vlol:

patriots88888
24-08-12, 00:47
Lol. Okay, I admit, this made me laugh. :vlol:

You would. :tea: Poor chair. :(

The Great Chi
24-08-12, 00:58
Thats a bit rare, not like us in the West, where we are used to the shaking.

You must have got a real fright, anyone hurt?

Encore
24-08-12, 01:00
Thats a bit rare, not like us in the West, where we are used to the shaking.

You must have got a real fright, anyone hurt?

Aaaaand we have the first victim of the bump. :D

DgoOdz94
24-08-12, 01:01
AWESOME... why couldn't I live in the east coast? >.>

They need a new one BTW, a year is a long time...

Sir Croft
24-08-12, 01:06

matrix54
24-08-12, 01:12
I still don't find it funny. Yes, the damage was close to none in the most part, but earthquakes along the East Coast are rare. So rare, most people didn't have a clue what to do to protect themselves. Imagine if another earthquake, one that was actually serious, were to occur?

I can infer Washington D.C's infrastructure isn't ready for it, and the people don't seem so either.

A lot of people know what to do in the event of an earthquake - if they remember from grade school. They're so rare, the training isn't even taught in succession. Here on the east, we prepare for flooding and storms, not earthquakes. ;)

Laras Dream
24-08-12, 03:15
I never been in an earthwuake. :( Really want to feel one but not a massive one like bigger than this one.

Tony9595
24-08-12, 03:23
:vlol: !!

scoopy_loopy
24-08-12, 05:20
I never been in an earthwuake. :( Really want to feel one but not a massive one like bigger than this one.

Careful what you wish for! Jeez! ... =/

JsotoTRSaga
24-08-12, 18:11
It's so ignorant to say that you want to feel an Earthquake or to say that you enjoyed it and ''laughed'' about it, it's something serious not a joke type of thing and BTW in my country (Puerto Rico) in the last 2 years we have had plenty of Quakes starting from 4.1 to 5.4 and it's not fun really it isn't.

Edit: referring to everyone in general that fits what i have said, not someone in particular and no rudeness in my comment only the truth.

bagas
25-08-12, 14:50
Never wish like that,the earthquake
especially the massive ones are dangerous,it can cause a great amount of damage,makes you scared and makes you go nausea
the worst is if you lives near the ocean there's a possibility of
Tsunami after the earthquake