PDA

View Full Version : What is your primary news media source?

Ward Dragon
24-08-11, 23:07
Poll requested by patriots88888 :)

If you voted for Internet option, please specify which website(s) you visit for your news.

trXD
BBC News :)

Catracoth
Anderson Cooper 360. :cln:

Spong
24-08-11, 23:08
I'm pre-empting the poll by saying the BBC (primarily).

EDIT
Oh, I expected the poll to be multiple choice. Can't really vote as both TV and the internet are my main sources.

StefanJ94
24-08-11, 23:09
Television/News :o

There's a so called 24 hour news channel so I watch it both for news and for the documentaries they show on it :)

Mikky
24-08-11, 23:10
Facebook. :ton:

sheepman23
24-08-11, 23:12
I get most of it from TV and the internet (MSN specifically ;)). I wish it would've been multiple choice, as I would've chose both...

matrix54
24-08-11, 23:13
Internet. MSN, or Facebook.

Seth94
24-08-11, 23:14
Television/News. :)

Encore
24-08-11, 23:15
It's hard for me to chose just one, as IMO the only way to be informed is to use all of that.

Personally, I watch "casual" and local news on the TV and newspapers, but the more in depth news reports (like major international events) I get from BBC online.

Gracious Days
24-08-11, 23:15
I voted for Television; CNN is usually my go-to channel for news. That, or my local channels.

larafan25
24-08-11, 23:16
Internet - TRF.

klona
24-08-11, 23:16
YOU STOLE MY POST ^ D:
3 Letters... :pi:
TRF

Lenochka
24-08-11, 23:19
dlisted.com :p

On actual news events that don't involve who Paris Hilton gave gonorrhea to, I use TRF. :p

DgoOdz94
24-08-11, 23:19
Internet - Yahoo! News

It's my homepage, so i just snoop around before heading in here.

Phlip
24-08-11, 23:23
Other - TRF. :vlol:

Ward Dragon
24-08-11, 23:31
Internet for me as well :) I don't really visit any one site in particular, but I see a lot of interesting news stories posted here on TRF, and if I overhear a bit of news elsewhere (conversation, radio, TV, etc.) then I look it up online and see what stories come up in order to find out more about it.

xXhayleyroxXx
24-08-11, 23:34
Television and the news :)

Ora Dagger
24-08-11, 23:38
television/news (mostly HLN)

Encore
24-08-11, 23:40
Internet - TRF.

YOU STOLE MY POST ^ D:
3 Letters... :pi:
TRF

Other - TRF. :vlol:

I hope you guys are kidding... :pi:

Sir Croft
24-08-11, 23:42
I kid you not, sometimes I read stuff here before I read anywhere else! :p

xXhayleyroxXx
24-08-11, 23:42
I hope you guys are kidding... :pi:

Why would they be? xD Every note-worthy piece of news is on here.

TRfan23
24-08-11, 23:45
Internet - TRF for me to and yes I'm ashamed of that :o

Thing is I normally don't watch TV, hardly go on News Sites, never read the Newspaper & never listen to the Radio :p

Rai
24-08-11, 23:45
Primarily the internet. If I hear a story of interest on the radio or someone says 'did you watch the news...' I'll look it up. I don't actively watch/read the news. Occasionally read a paper. I will watch if it is a big story.

Super Badnik
24-08-11, 23:46
Internet mostly but I watch the news programmes on TV quite often.

scremanie
24-08-11, 23:49
The interwebs.

It's not that hard to stumble upon news these days, with the likes of Facebook and whatnot. Even if you aren't looking for news, the countless updates that your friends do will tell you everything you need to know. -_-

Encore
24-08-11, 23:50
The interwebs.

It's not that hard to stumble upon news these days, with the likes of Facebook and whatnot. Even if you aren't looking for news, the countless updates that your friends do will tell you everything you need to know. -_-

I seriously doubt that.

scremanie
24-08-11, 23:52
I seriously doubt that.

I don't. It spreads like wildfire.

Encore
24-08-11, 23:55
I don't. It spreads like wildfire.

Sure but what do you consider to be things you need to know? I mean, in order to call yourself an "informed citizen"?

IMO that's a lot more than just some headlines... And understanding what's happening is very different from knowing what's happening.

QiX
24-08-11, 23:58
Brazilian news portal UOL(www.uol.com.br (http://www.uol.com.br/) in portuguese). It gathers headlines from the most important newspapers and magazines in Brazil, aside from links to news agencies all over the world.

scremanie
25-08-11, 00:00
Sure but what do you consider to be things you need to know? I mean, in order to call yourself an "informed citizen"?

IMO that's a lot more than just some headlines... And understanding what's happening is very different from knowing what's happening.

There was a house fire in my city that killed 11 people yesterday. I didn't hear about this on the news. All I did was go on Facebook, and within a few minutes of reading everyones "R.I.P" updates, I was able to know how many people died, who they were, where the house was located and how the fire was started.

sephiroth99
25-08-11, 00:19
I use:

http://www.radio-canada.ca/grands-titres/
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/
http://news.google.ca/

t-raider26
25-08-11, 00:20
I usually learn about news things on Tumblr. I do watch the news occasionally though.

Ikas90
25-08-11, 00:21
Internet. Facebook and TRF, usually, when people post news links.

lance6439
25-08-11, 00:23
The internet .... who watches TV Anymore? soooo 2001
(Obviously kidding :p)

But i would get it from Google/Msn/Forums :)

robm_2007
25-08-11, 00:26
Internet.

Often I'll notice a random headline on Yahoo! or I'll catch news on imdb or Google.

King.Louie
25-08-11, 00:27
Tv

Dennis's Mom
25-08-11, 00:28
I still read the paper everyday. The internet is useful.

patriots88888
25-08-11, 02:17
I still read the paper everyday. The internet is useful.

This. It was originally going to be my thread topic. I was curious if anyone still gets and reads the newspaper(s) anymore. It's understandable why so many don't with all the sources that are available with the internet... I tend to see the latest breaking news online because I'm on here so much. The thing is though, the internet doesn't always cover local news stories (very few actually), especially the ones I would consider very important/relevant.

Ward Dragon
25-08-11, 02:24
This. It was originally going to be my thread topic. I was curious if anyone still gets and reads the newspaper(s) anymore. It's understandable why so many don't with all the sources that are available with the internet... I tend to see the latest breaking news online because I'm on here so much. The thing is though, the internet doesn't always cover local news stories (very few actually), especially the ones I would consider very important/relevant.

My local paper has its own website where it posts the stories from the paper, so if I needed to see a local story I could find that online as well. You should look and see if your local paper does something similar :)

In any case I prefer the internet because it can be updated more frequently, I don't have to pay subscription fees, and it's easier for me to read compared to most physical newspapers because I can adjust the text size if necessary.

kooky
25-08-11, 02:25
I mostly watch local news & half-hour world news at 6:30 EST. Though I read my local newspaper quite often as well. :)

patriots88888
25-08-11, 02:33
My local paper has its own website where it posts the stories from the paper, so if I needed to see a local story I could find that online as well. You should look and see if your local paper does something similar :)

In any case I prefer the internet because it can be updated more frequently, I don't have to pay subscription fees, and it's easier for me to read compared to most physical newspapers because I can adjust the text size if necessary.

Yup, I can access an abridged version of the local D&C online. I guess I feel better knowing I can get the complete local news through my local newpaper because there are quite a few news stories that get excluded from the online version. That's why most often it's a combination of the newpaper and internet for me. I'll most likely always continue to subscibe to my local newpaper because it's kinda like a tradition for me and I'd hate to see a day when they become obsolete.

Ward Dragon
25-08-11, 02:38
Yup, I can access an abridged version of the local D&C online. I guess I feel better knowing I can get the complete local news through my local newpaper because there are quite a few news stories that get excluded from the online version. That's why most often it's a combination of the newpaper and internet for me. I'll most likely always continue to subscibe to my local newpaper because it's kinda like a tradition for me and I'd hate to see a day when they become obsolete.

Ah, cool :) That makes sense. I don't really like where I live though, so the less bad news I know, the better :p It's depressing for me to hear about so many bad things happening all the time XD

patriots88888
25-08-11, 02:44
^^ Ugh, a bunch of typos (you can see I just woke up). :vlol: And I forgot to mention that I like getting all the ads and coupons with my local newspaper that I would miss out on without it. :)

sheepman23
25-08-11, 02:49

That's generally my attitude towards it, especially it being updated more frequently. I've got MSN as my homepage, so it's always nice to have instant national news the moment I get online, too. :tmb: As for local and state news, I prefer newspapers and TV respectively. Odd how that works... I have a different preference for different types of news. :p

sierra xb
25-08-11, 05:01
Most of what I see on tv, read in the papers, or hear on the radio isn't even really "news" anymore, it is commentary. There are the occasional moments where someone will actually just make a statement about what happened, but most seem to want to analyze everything and tell you their (very biased) personal opinions about it. I watch tv for the weather, and that's about it. Newspapers are for grocery coupons, and radio...I just avoid it.

When I do want to get the news, I get it from the internet, and not from any single source. I like to get the same news from multiple websites, that way I can screen out any biased reporting and (hopefully) have an easier time verifying if things are true or not. My news sites also vary depending on what I am looking for...here is a partial list (by the OP's request)

drudgereport
world net daily
the wall street journal
debkafiles
USGS (for my earthquake and tsunami updates)
BBC (sometimes they do a better job reporting things in america than americans do)

I tend to avoid both CNN and Fox because they are too biased in either direction. MSNBC meh...:/ not impressed

sandygrimm
25-08-11, 07:05
TV. Since the first thing I do in the morning is turn on the TV right to the news! , but than I go to internet, look around there for more info.
Newspapers have no news anymore, not anything interesting or worthy, mostly the unemployment section or Free Time.

Romantics Inc.
25-08-11, 07:09
Various "underground" sources on the internet.

Saman
25-08-11, 08:07
Well mostly on the TV if I was like to listen news! But I receive newsletter emails from BBC, VOA, I've abonne newspaper too, and don't listen to Radio unless if it was on!

Ooops! I've mistaken choose TV, should it to be Internet!

shebj
25-08-11, 08:26
internet definitely ; de standaard online, het laatste nieuws, het belang van limburg ; de gazet van antwerpen

Autolycus
25-08-11, 08:28
MSN News.

patriots88888
25-08-11, 08:29
Newspapers have no news anymore, not anything interesting or worthy, mostly the unemployment section or Free Time.

It's posts like this that I am grateful that the greater Rochester area still has what I consider to be a very complete, informative and trustworthy newspaper. I suppose that is why it is still thriving here and has so many subscribers despite the overwhelming influx of both TV and internet news programs/sites. I don't pay any attention to the 'junk' news and tabloids aren't at all what I would call infomative/trustworthy/reliable and certainly not news.

Well mostly on the TV if I was like to listen news! But I receive newsletter emails from BBC, VOA, I've abandoned newspaper too, and don't listen to Radio unless if it was on!

Is that for only the matter of convenience/cost or because you feel that your local newspaper is sub-standard and you can get better and more reliable news elsewhere?

maximum_123
25-08-11, 08:33
I usually see things on Twitter that make me interested so I google them, I don't check a news website regularly.

cezy rockeru
25-08-11, 08:45
television/news. :)

Uzi master
25-08-11, 08:51
lol @ radio

:p

Saman
25-08-11, 11:28
Is that for only the matter of convenience/cost or because you feel that your local newspaper is sub-standard and you can get better and more reliable news elsewhere?

Yes true on one side, but honestly No!

You know news could be different from your local country newspaper or media from the others because of Censorship, each of them using power hand by government, I've abonned one of local newspaper because however with true or untruth news, I live on this country, I should following important news, economy, ... of my country (but not only the headlines, its including articles, puzzles, etc). And that is the best source I could it get.

But matter thing its still on the Paper! Right it's so much easy reading news on the Internet (and that is my primary option), but I still like to have it, well my parents cant go on the Internet, they reading it too, also papers so much useful for cleaning!

But you meant on the future newspaper are gonna disappear because of electronic devices?

A.JJ.G
25-08-11, 11:29
Television/News. More specifically, BBC News. I also use their website, but not as often.

the ancient
25-08-11, 11:47
I'd say internet (TRF :p)

But the Television news is second

!Lara Croft!
25-08-11, 12:07
The general chat section of TRF...

patriots88888
25-08-11, 12:26
Yes true on one side, but honestly No!

You know news could be different from your local country newspaper or media from the others because of Censorship, each of them using power hand by government, I've abonned one of local newspaper because however with true or untruth news, I live on this country, I should following important news, economy, ... of my country (but not only the headlines, its including articles, puzzles, etc). And that is the best source I could it get.

But matter thing its still on the Paper! Right it's so much easy reading news on the Internet (and that is my primary option), but I still like to have it, well my parents cant go on the Internet, they reading it too, also papers so much useful for cleaning!

I see, thank you.

But you meant on the future newspaper are gonna disappear because of electronic devices?

Well, sorta. I don't believe they will ever completely disappear (much the same thing as with public libraries) I just feel that the quality of such appears to be on a downward trend as more and more alternatives to them become available to the public (free internet news sites being the number one offender). Which when I think about it is kinda odd because competition is actually supposed to work in the opposite direction and is what drives quality/standards up. I can only speculate that perhaps the standards of many newspapers have dropped due to cost cuts, layoffs, etc...

Another Lara
25-08-11, 12:45
Newspaper, but only because I work at one so it's a bit hard for me to not know what's going on! :p

Second would be TV though as I have the news on as I'm getting ready in the morning, but I'm usually too tired/ too much in a rush to listen!

herothing
25-08-11, 13:31
Msn uk :)

aidanmalone
25-08-11, 13:46
BBC News Internet Option
I sometimes use the Iphone app as well but mainly internet ;)

rowanlim
25-08-11, 15:25
Newspaper local, I read them everyday, sometimes I read 2 papers. Good to get a mix of views on the same issues :)

igonge
25-08-11, 15:27
Internet, through various websites, usually twitter.

BrandonFlowers
25-08-11, 15:31
Other - My mother

She is like a walking, talking newspaper. :p
I also use the internet (News function on google)

b0bb13
25-08-11, 15:36
^ That is pretty precious, desu.

I use the interwebz for news that I actually care about (games, Lady Gaga, anime, weeaboo shizz, music, did I mention Lady Gaga?, etc.) and le TV for stuff from inside le country I reside in... which I normally don't care about.

Saman
25-08-11, 16:22
I see, thank you.

Well, sorta. I don't believe they will ever completely disappear (much the same thing as with public libraries) I just feel that the quality of such appears to be on a downward trend as more and more alternatives to them become available to the public (free internet news sites being the number one offender). Which when I think about it is kinda odd because competition is actually supposed to work in the opposite direction and is what drives quality/standards up. I can only speculate that perhaps the standards of many newspapers have dropped due to cost cuts, layoffs, etc...

No thanks me :)

Some times I heard about releases new newspaper and magazines on Digital Media, such on Internet, or DVDs, but all peoples cant be access to Internet or a Computer, or any kind of electronic devices, so maybe they are hating to use them too.

I think its another matter thins is Quality of news, you like to hear it exactly from BBC or CNN, may there is'nt a big dear at all, but that is one of thing are important to me too, the quality of news :)

xLara_Nathanx
25-08-11, 16:31
I have to go with internet:

MSN news most of the time.

IGN for games.

TRF for random news.

Uncharted forums for random stuff too.

[Xmas]
25-08-11, 16:33
Internet, and it really depends whatever I search for games/gossip news, really :p

And Wikipedia is also a kind of news source, although that one is not always very reliable :p

Lara Croft!
30-08-11, 16:38
I use the Internet. Primarily Greek blogs.

Mad Tony
30-08-11, 16:42
Internet - BBC News and Fox Business.

peeves
30-08-11, 16:44
Mine is the TV news.

Nausinous
30-08-11, 16:45
BBC News is what I check every few hours.