PDA

View Full Version : Maggie Goes On A Diet

Ora Dagger
25-08-11, 18:11
http://media.mlive.com/health_impact/photo/9922516-large.jpg

"Maggie was teased and made fun of just about everyday at school. She was called fatty and chubby and other names that were very cruel. Searching the refrigerator in hopes she would feel better, eating...lots of breads and cheeses including some chedder. After eating more healthier foods, and exercising more, Maggie instantly makes new friends, and transforms into a star soccer player. Maggie looked forward to her Saturday morning games...More and more people were beginning to know Maggie by name. Playing soccer gave Maggie popularity and Fame."

The childrens book is targeted at girls, 6 and older. The book is creating controversy before its even out.

what are your thoughts on this?:confused: I can understand why parents are getting angry.

I'm not sure if this goes on the debate or general chat.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/childrens-book-maggie-diet-stir-14362276 <<<video inside

irishhips
25-08-11, 18:13
For a mintue, I thought it was Maggie Simpson

lance6439
25-08-11, 18:14
that's nice

larson n natla
25-08-11, 18:16
It gives young girls a perception that you have to be skinny to be popular and happy.

I think it's intended to promote a healthy life-style but has been done pretty badly.

Spong
25-08-11, 18:17
Chedder!? :eek:

If the book is as badly written as that example, I'm not surprised people are complaining.

Ora Dagger
25-08-11, 18:20
Chedder!? :eek:

If the book is as badly written as that example, I'm not surprised people are complaining.

haha thats my fault. I'm a horrible speller sometimes:p:o

Killercowz
25-08-11, 18:23
It gives young girls a perception that you have to be skinny to be popular and happy.

I think it's intended to promote a healthy life-style but has been done pretty badly.

This.

xXhayleyroxXx
25-08-11, 18:23

I was just thinking this. It means well but its definately aimed at the wrong age group, for a start. Let kids be kids -- carefree and without weight worries xD

Spong
25-08-11, 18:26
haha thats my fault. I'm a horrible speller sometimes:p:o

Oh right, I retract my shock and/or horror then. I figured you'd just copied & pasted the text verbatim :p

Lara's Nemesis
25-08-11, 18:31
"Playing soccer gave Maggie popularity and Fame" :D

Slight exaggeration there I'm thinking.

remote91
25-08-11, 18:33
Get the little bastards while they're young.

sierra xb
25-08-11, 18:44
I hope it has a chapter talking about the parent's responsability in teaching better eating habits, and not having crap food like that accessable to their children. Other than that, i would agree that it sends the totally wrong message...that loosing weight is about being popular, rather than being healthy. Pure stupidity IMO.

trXD
25-08-11, 18:50
As an ex fat kid, if I saw something like that on the shelves when I was about 8 years old I would have immediately felt like ****.

Super Badnik
25-08-11, 18:56
This book seems to embody everything thats wrong and twisted about our culture.

Rai
25-08-11, 18:59
As others have said, this book gives off the wrong messages. Its intentions may have been to show how eating healthily and exercising is good for you etc, but it also gives the impression that you should be thin to be popular. The very fact it uses the word 'diet' in the title and is aimed at girls as young as six is a bad idea.

larafan25
25-08-11, 19:12
"Playing soccer gave Maggie popularity and Fame" :D

Slight exaggeration there I'm thinking.

I like that though.

It goes through talking about her eating healthy and all this stuff. And it doesn't finish with "Because Maggie is less fat, she is popular.

It was a curve ball, and a nice one.

I think it might be targeted at a low age group. However, my neighbor was really big at 6, and around 7 she started getting teased.

Lara's Nemesis
25-08-11, 19:13
^

It was a horrible curve ball, not subtle enough. :p

Don't agree with them targetting children with this sort of crap, could easily give a child issues. I think that a lot of parents need to be educated on healthy eating tho.

marceepaniq
25-08-11, 19:14

This :pi:

And I'm wondering what's happening to this world :pi:

cezy rockeru
25-08-11, 19:17
Good for her,I guess.

The bitch,now she made me feel like crap.

)':

Weemanply109
25-08-11, 19:50

:tmb:

Avalon SARL
25-08-11, 20:25
I was just thinking this. It means well but its definately aimed at the wrong age group, for a start. Let kids be kids -- carefree and without weight worries xD

But weight, especially when someone is overweight has got lots of disadvantages and hazards on health.

If you have seen The Doctors, one ofthe episodes, it wasabout FAT and OBESE kids.
That episode was very shocking.
IMO, kids should be taught HOW to eat and WHAT to eat.
Saves many problems in the future :)

xXhayleyroxXx
25-08-11, 20:28
But weight, especially when someone is overweight has got lots of disadvantages and hazards on health.

If you have seen The Doctors, one ofthe episodes, it wasabout FAT and OBESE kids.
That episode was very shocking.
IMO, kids should be taught HOW to eat and WHAT to eat.
Saves many problems in the future :)

I know it does. Thats true -- but the parents should teach them how to eat healthily, and not a book which could knock their self-esteem. And then you get those 'eat healthy' books given to you free at school.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
25-08-11, 20:31
Childhood Obesity is a huge problem, though I'm not sure this will be one of the successful weapons against it.

A.JJ.G
25-08-11, 20:34
Even though eating healthily from a young age is important, I don't think a book with a "If you get skinny, everyone will suddenly like you!" message is quite right. It should be up to parents to feed and educate their children properly. Also, most schools do health campaigns any way; my Primary School made it compulsory to eat a piece of fruit for break, and banned soft drinks. And my secondary school hands out pamphlets and does assemblies about health every few months.

xXhayleyroxXx
25-08-11, 20:37
Even though eating healthily from a young age is important, I don't think a book with a "If you get skinny, everyone will suddenly like you!" message is quite right. It should be up to parents to feed and educate their children properly. Also, most schools do health campaigns any way; my Primary School made it compulsory to eat a piece of fruit for break, and banned soft drinks. And my secondary school hands out pamphlets and does assemblies about health every few months.

Yeah -- my school used to have creative projects/competitions to see which kid could make the most amazing fruit sculpture/ tastiest smoothie. I usually always won :mis:

Avalon SARL
25-08-11, 20:38
I know it does. Thats true -- but the parents should teach them how to eat healthily, and not a book which could knock their self-esteem. And then you get those 'eat healthy' books given to you free at school.

Very Correct as well :)

Funto
25-08-11, 20:51
The title should be simpler and more to the point. 'Maggie is Fat' to cause a bigger impact. Given the excessive futility these days, the author probably thought it'd be easier to reach children if he didn't take the "healthy" approach. I can't say that I blame him.

Tony9595
25-08-11, 22:02
And then Maggie dies. Fin.

I can see why parents would get mad. If your little girl is fat she sucks and is kind of a freak. "/

Not really the best way to help a fat kid.

Shark_Blade
26-08-11, 00:12
If I have a girl, I'd buy this book. The soccer bit is a little off-putting and lame imo..

Fine if people don't like the story of harsh cruel reality (of fat kids being teased), but if it's me I won't sugar coat anything for my kids. I'd tell them the story might also reflect the real world. I would tell them the facts straight out. That includes talking about sex and how pregnancy happens - biology facts all the way.

Rai
26-08-11, 00:26
If I have a girl, I'd buy this book. The soccer bit is a little off-putting and lame imo..

Fine if people don't like the story of harsh cruel reality (of fat kids being teased), but if it's me I won't sugar coat anything for my kids. I'd tell them the story might also reflect the real world. I would tell them the facts straight out. That includes talking about sex and how pregnancy happens - biology facts all the way.

Well then, just remember to tell your kids that not all 'fat' kids get bullied, some are popular and perfectly happy - and that being thin and dieting is not the answer to happiness. All sorts of people get bullied. The footie thing could represent that if you really enjoy something, you should do it - it may just be something you can excel at. Be it footie or something else.