PDA

View Full Version : The fear of never growing up

Liara
25-08-11, 19:00
I've learned that asking "am I the only one feeling like this?" on forums yields nothing but "no duh genius, of course it's not just you", so let's get right down to the questions. :D What's the point in your life when you realize that you're passed the phase of being a manchild (or equivalent female term) and have become an adult? Is there even such a moment?

I realized today that the way I feel about some things have changed little to none at all since I was a kid. I still run away from responsibility, I spend little time thinking about the future, I'm a bit scared of the idea of starting a family and (outside of uni) my mind is mainly preoccupied by games and stupid TV shows. When it comes down to it I suppose I wonder if it's even possible to ever outgrow this "phase".

leglion
25-08-11, 19:02
It was my 15th birthday yesterday... I cried because i felt so old. :( Gotta start shooting that botox soon.

Legend of Lara
25-08-11, 19:04
I'm turning 18 next month.

OH MY GOD MY LIFE IS OVERRRRRR etc. etc.

larafan25
25-08-11, 19:09
I turned 17 a while ago. This is my last year of highschool.

F.

Oh well, just gotta do..

Whatever that means.

MiCkiZ88
25-08-11, 19:13
Eh.. I'm 23 and I feel like I should already have my own job and home (which I ironically did back in Finland) but I still have trouble facing the fact that I am an adult. Perhaps it's because people still ask for my bloody ID :pi:

But I do feel young and still able to do things, I still have my life ahead of me. So it's all about finding the right study and work in the next three years time. Life is hard when you're a young adult who doesn't know what they want to do in life :p

cezy rockeru
25-08-11, 19:14
I'll turn 14 next month.

School will start on the same day.

But it won't matter,because i'll suicide before it happens.

Am I gonna die?

lara c. fan
25-08-11, 19:14
It feels weird that I'm a year away from finishing compulsory education. :p

marceepaniq
25-08-11, 19:18
I'm 14, but I feel like I'm 4.
Sometimes I randomly throw myself on the floor and start screaming.
True story. :pi:

But when it comes to making hard decisions, and in some situations, I feel like I'm a 70 year-old wise man :pi:

remote91
25-08-11, 19:23
It was my 15th birthday yesterday... I cried because i felt so old. :( Gotta start shooting that botox soon.
Happy belated birthday, young one!

Liara
25-08-11, 19:24
Life is hard when you're a young adult who doesn't know what they want to do in life
Pretty much the pickle I'm in. I have almost no idea what I want to do in life and I wonder that if I choose one path I might just end up wasting a lot of time before figuring out that particular field is not for me.

cbragg09
25-08-11, 19:25
Im 20 and I feel like Ill always have room to grow and learn and mature. The human mind is constantly learning

Although I def felt like the childhood stage of my life had passed months after I turned 17, and I FELT like an adult on my 18th birthday

tomee
25-08-11, 19:30
I'm 16

I run away from responsibility as well whenever I can. Mainly because I always forget everything. I have to face that I'm not a small child now and I have to take care about a lot of things like buying my seasonal ticket. Next year (If everything goes right) I'm going to have my driving license, whereas I still think of myself as a child.

I actually quite often think about the future but I don't have any plans of yet. I'm not scared of starting a family (not that it'll happen in the near future) but I already think that I'll hate working just as I hate school.

leglion
25-08-11, 19:32
Happy belated birthday, young one!

Yeah i didn't want people on here to know. :pi:

ultima espio
25-08-11, 19:40
In some ways I don't want to get older, it's a scary world :o

But in others it's really good because more becomes open to you :)

xXhayleyroxXx
25-08-11, 19:41
Hmmm, in some ways I want to grow up and get a stable job/have kids/get married etc and I've been told I think much older than I am, but in some ways I'm very VERY childish. I love Disney and princesses and singing really loudly in public places and sparkles and cute fuzzy bunny rabbits D: I somehow don't think that will ever leave me.

MiCkiZ88
25-08-11, 19:47
Pretty much the pickle I'm in. I have almost no idea what I want to do in life and I wonder that if I choose one path I might just end up wasting a lot of time before figuring out that particular field is not for me.
That is exactly my problem. I need to choose a study soon, and the study will last for three to four years (internship year) but what if I end up disliking the study after just one year? What if I don't want to be in media design or become an architect? What's a fancy title without any work? Grr..

Killercowz
25-08-11, 19:48
You know what!?

When I'm older I'll still be the ****.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lq7rn2hIzC1qhb5ps.gif

So I don't really care.

Joking for all you serious folks.

klona
25-08-11, 19:52
I'm turning 16 at October...
I WANT TO STAY SIXTEEN FOREVER! D:

sierra xb
25-08-11, 19:59
my moment came in two parts I think....first when i was 18 and getting ready to graduate from high school. My parents got divorced that year and there were alot of big changes...had to move out of the house I had grown up in, had to get a better job to help with the bills, had to make all of my own decisions essentially. I realized that there is a scary concept out there called "responsability", and there was no way i could avoid it.

The second part was right after I had graduated from college...now this was REAL life. Time to work on a career, time to start paying off those student loans, and time to find some stability. Family influence was long gone by then, and my success or failure was now based on my decisions alone.

Life forces people to grow up whether they want to or not...it just depends on what attitude you have when it happens to you. Now, after all of that, I refuse to grow up completely ;) I still like to have fun (would go crazy without it), I still like to play, and I still have dreams :)

Funto
25-08-11, 20:31
What's the point in your life when you realize that you're passed the phase of being a manchild (or equivalent female term) and have become an adult? Is there even such a moment?

The moment you realize you have to maintain that roof over your head (oooh, how dramatic). That's when you start moving your ass on your own, because the world at large doesn't really care about what you want for your life, professionally and personally. No one is going to do anything for you.

When that time comes, though, you'll probably have grown accustomed to having different priorities and responsabilities. That's not to say that you can't still do stuff that you did when you were a teen. You can, but in smaller doses, I suppose.

That's my take on it, anyway. We all have different experiences.

Zelda master
25-08-11, 20:42
I'm 20 but still feel many many years younger. I don't look my age (On Rhodos couple of weeks ago they demanded my ID because they thought I was 14), but I don't act my age at all!
Many people actually don't think that I'm really mentally there at the point where I should be. But I think it quite ahead most of the people of my age, I have had crap happen to me, and my life for many many years was anything but happy or even enjoyable for a small child. With my mom being an athiest and my dad turning more and more towards becoming a "better" Muslim. And bullying on school...

I don't want people to know how I really am... At school they think I'm always in a good mood, and only my real close friends know what I can be like if I just be myself and really am being a 20 year old person...

BrandonFlowers
25-08-11, 20:56
I'm 18, starting College next week doing a course that will lead me to a job in my desired field. I'm getting a student bursary so will be earning money. Therefore, I am paying my parents money every month, kinda like rent.

Its alot more responsibility coming for me and I am really scared but also excited. Its the start of a new chapter for me, I loved the whole going to school and having my parents buy everything for me, but I knew it wouldn't last.

I tend to act my age when I need to, but still love being a bit immature :p

badboy70
25-08-11, 21:03
I feel like I've matured a lot over the past two months.
I left all my problems behind and grew closer to the friends I hold dear.

I also got my drivers license (and a nice car) and I had two student jobs.
There's a chance I'll be able to keep doing one job during college.
I'm starting college at the end of next month, and I'll live in a house with two friends so we'll be independant from our parents from then on.

I'm already alone this week because myprants are on holiday, so I'm living alone atm andI have to do all the grown-up things: Working from 9 to 5, cooking, dishes, ...

I've also noticed my friends start to depend on me more than they used to. They ask for my honest opinions, they always ask if I want to join them somewhere, if they can come over, ...
I also picked up DJing as a hobby and my friends really like it. When we organize our own (small) parties they even post Facebook statuses of how well I'm playing and how people should've been there.

So yeah, I feel like I'm going in the right direction and I hope I can keep it that way. The only thing I'm missing now is a girlfriend.

Horus-Goddess
25-08-11, 21:17
I feel pretty much the same way as a lot of you. I just turned 25 this year and I still struggle with a lot of the same stuff I did when I finished high school. A lot has happened since then but I don't feel like I'm anywhere near where I should be by this time.

I've always wanted to get into game design since I was a child and I've never lost interest in it, it's just that I'm afraid to go back to college at this point for anything that might not have a guaranteed future. With the economy like it is, a lot of students just out of college can't get jobs even with degrees. I can't say for certain there's much demand in games either right now, and if there was, there are so many other people out of jobs right now I'm sure they'd rather snag up someone experienced than someone right out of school.

SO that leaves me in this situation where I get a good stable job for a while, feel like I can get my own place (again), and right when I'm about to sign a lease, I get laid off. Has happened twice that way, now. And unemployment pay does not cover expenses enough at all... so I'm still stuck in the same bloody situation.

I know what I want from life but I don't know how to get there, and that's what worries me the most. And I don't exactly have parents to support me, the most they can help with are giving me a roof over my head which, honestly if I didn't have that I'd be hurting even more so, I can't complain.

Childish interests though? Yeah I still have some. A lot of people still think my being into games is childish, but I don't think so. Especially if it's a career interest... I sort of have to be. I don't care to party or anything like other young adults, which honestly alienates me from a lot of the younger crowd lol. Oh well. Some ways I feel behind, but others I feel way ahead waiting for people to catch up to me.

just*raidin*tomb
25-08-11, 21:50
I think adult is a silly term.

I'm "technically" adult and feel no different than I did as a child aside from being more responsible. We're all just humans and and we're constantly learning things until the day we die.

I used to have a fear of growing up, but I know now that I don't have to if I don't want to. And I don't plan on it. :)

Some people may say that's childish, but when people move on into this "adulthood" they tend to lose their selves, lose their creativity, imagination, and just become almost soulless. I may be seen as adult in children's eyes and maybe some adults, but I'll always be a child at heart. *u*

LaraDuh
25-08-11, 22:55
Im 15 now and loving every minute of it. i dont ever wanna grow up but when i found a grey hair on my head yesterday i flipped out and told my mom it was her fault xD

TRLegendLuver
25-08-11, 23:02
I don't really have a fear of growing up because early on as a young child, around the age of of five or six, I realized, given where I lived and what was going in my environment, and experiences as well, that I had to grow up fast,learn how to cope with things that children shouldn't have to deal with and never really enjoyed being a child. So I've been growing up and having to act as an adult for many years now so the fear of growing up has never passed truly through my mind.

Encore
25-08-11, 23:56
I've learned that asking "am I the only one feeling like this?" on forums yields nothing but "no duh genius, of course it's not just you", so let's get right down to the questions. :D What's the point in your life when you realize that you're passed the phase of being a manchild (or equivalent female term) and have become an adult? Is there even such a moment?

I realized today that the way I feel about some things have changed little to none at all since I was a kid. I still run away from responsibility, I spend little time thinking about the future, I'm a bit scared of the idea of starting a family and (outside of uni) my mind is mainly preoccupied by games and stupid TV shows. When it comes down to it I suppose I wonder if it's even possible to ever outgrow this "phase".

I think no one changes into proper "adulthood" by choice. :p It happens naturally once you have to assume all responsibility for everything that happens in your life.

There's a reason why they say you should never lose your "inner child" though, it's because in the end it's that little immature part of you that allows you to still have fun even when you're dealing with all those responsibilities of adulthood (provided, of course, that immaturity doesn't take over you and it's just in a healthy dose).

BUT, I'd just like to say this --- I really disagree with the notion that "wanting a family" is a prerequisite of being mature/adult.

Apathetic
26-08-11, 00:01
I have no fear of growing up, in fact I can't wait to have a job, earn money, or even my own place. I like responsibilities.

robm_2007
26-08-11, 01:00
because i'll suicide before it happens.

Am I gonna die?

Yes.

If you kill yourself, you die. I know, I know; it goes against all popular theory but it's true.
---
I feel like an old child. I have never thought of myself as a man, nor an adult. I more feel like between child and adult. A guy, I guess :pi:

Eros5th
26-08-11, 04:04
I'm 22 but I get what you mean.. Although I feel mature I still in many ways feel like a kid.

I see adults and it seems like everything on their mind is work, money, and politics :(

And I've become more like this and it saddens me because life should be so much more then those things...

Horus-Goddess
26-08-11, 04:40
I'm 22 but I get what you mean.. Although I feel mature I still in many ways feel like a kid.

I see adults and it seems like everything on their mind is work, money, and politics :(

And I've become more like this and it saddens me because life should be so much more then those things...

Heh, ain't that the truth...

I find myself having to pay attention to politics because of what's going on in the world. It's important, and will affect you in one way or another. I'm still learning a lot about everything as it is, and I wish I'd started paying attention sooner.

Once you find yourself taking on responsibilities, everything changes. :/ Just how life is, really.

Mikky
26-08-11, 05:01
It's hard to explain in full detail, but I'm not afraid of growing up. Nor would I mind staying the same, though that's unlikely. I'll just be me, I guess. :p

Eros5th
26-08-11, 05:34
I just wanna move to Sweden :D

cezy rockeru
26-08-11, 08:24
I'll move to UK and live under Spong's bed.

:pi:

Ikas90
26-08-11, 08:36
I try not to think too much about my future, other than what I want to achieve. There is no plan for life; you're given it, you live it and you appreciate it, so do what you can with the time that you've got.

Nobody plans on dying, so why should we have to plan on living? Just live your life to the fullest that you can. I'm doing just that, and thus far there's nothing to regret.

I believe I struggled with deciding on a career for a reason. It was a sign.

Bottom line; this is exactly what is helping me grow.

Rosaly
26-08-11, 09:08
Oh myy, the life is going just so fast.
But never mind everyone should be happy and live this moment of his/hers life.
Don't think too much of "what will happen if I...," "what will happen tomorow?" when will I die?"
Just forget about that and think of happiness!

moodydog
26-08-11, 10:15
I am getting older and I am quite happy about it. :)