PDA

View Full Version : Genealogy and Family History

Duchess
26-08-11, 05:20
This thread is for discussing your genealogy (i.e. what countries or parts of the world your family tree goes back to) as well as family history facts and tales that you'd like to share. I guess I'd consider myself somewhat of nerd when it comes to this. Lol

As for myself, my family tree goes back to England, Ireland, Wales, Sicily and mainland Italy, Australia, and of course the U.S. (as I'm American). On my father's side of the family, he was born in New Jersey and has an Australian mother and a father who was born of Italian immigrants to the U.S. It's from his side that I get English, Irish, Welsh, Italian, and Australian. As for my mother's side, I don't know when they came to the U.S. All I know is that she was born and/or raised in Chicago and that she has English and possibly Irish heritage.

My dad's side of the family has two interesting stories. He and my grandma told me that it's debated about whether or not my grandma is a descendant of Captain Morgan, being that she has Welsh in her as well as relatives with the last name Morgan. She also told me that her dad (my great grandfather) told her that supposedly I have Scandinavian ancestors who traveled with William the Conqueror down to around Marseilles, France and then up into England. If that's so, then I allegedly have Scandinavian in me from about a millennium ago. Though she said that her father's side of the family had a history of sailors and that that was supposedly why the tale exists, whether it be true or not.

Anyway, share your family heritage. :)

Romantics Inc.
26-08-11, 05:26
My family branches back to Russia. :) I'm not very close to my family...I wish I knew more.

shebj
26-08-11, 05:32
all I know is I'm from India ; that's it

leglion
26-08-11, 05:36
Oh lorsh. Do you even want to know? It would be a really long and confusing post but to put it simply: my family tree dates back to Akan in ghana, British, and Scottish on my father's side, Arakwak in Guyana, Akan in Ghana, Brizillian portuguese, and East Indian on my mother's side.

sierra xb
26-08-11, 05:40
hmmm...this one looks interesting.

Father's side - almost entirely Scottish, came to America and settled in Kentucky frontier area. Family history indicates this happened sometime in very late 1700's, just as the area was being settled originally.

Mother's side (grandfather) - Family was originally highland Scottish, but migrated to Nova Scotia, Canada, then later to Dakota territory where they married into Lakota Sioux (native american). Then moved to northern Missouri and married into Eastern Cherokee family (also native american).

Mother's side (grandmother) - Family is a mixture of Welsh and Jewish. From what i have been told, great-grandfather came to America from Liverpool right around 1900 or so. The jewish side is from Ukraine.

Mikky
26-08-11, 05:40
I hardly know anything about my family's past. All I know is that they're Portuguese. One side of me is curious to find out more, but at the same time, the other side just doesn't care. :p

TheRCroft
26-08-11, 05:47
All I know is that they're Portuguese.

And that is all you need to know to understand their awesomeness :)

Actually, no. It sucks.

-------------

Anyway, my whole family is Portuguese AFAIK, so my genealogy is really not that varied.

Horus-Goddess
26-08-11, 06:19
Hmm, well I'm half Spanish/Mexican and half Caucasian. That caucasian bit is the part I don't know much about (would be my father's side). My mother's side, can be traced back to Spain and Mexico (if that wasn't obvious hahaha). My father's side is English (and something else)... But that's about all I know about it. Always been curious about finding out exactly where my lineage would trace back to on his side. Just don't know where to even start, since his side wasn't exactly good at keeping records like that.

ChingKong
26-08-11, 06:26
Damn... Well on my mother's side, my family tree goes back to Spain and Japan, and I'm pretty sure there's some Native American in there somewhere :p. On my father's side, I know that his great great grandmother was Native American on his father's side. Stuff like this really interests me. I'd love to be able to go back a few more centuries and learn more about my relatives and such.

What's the farthest back anyone here has ever gone ? :)

Dark Lugia 2
26-08-11, 06:31
My family history is boring. It goes from England to Pakistan and then India before that.

Another Lara
26-08-11, 07:54
I made a thread about Genealogy and Family History quite a while ago, but no one was really interested in the subject at the time so it pretty much got ignored... fingers crossed this one will do better! :)

I am absolutely obsessed with Genealogy, so much so I've been looking into taking a degree in the subject! I am a fan of the TV series Who Do You Think You Are and I have mulitple trees on Ancestry.co.uk

Unfortunately I'm not as skilled or as rich as I would like to be in order to have got very far in my tree although what I've uncovered so far is really interesting.

On my maternal grandmother's side, the family is Jewish. The original surname of the family was Isaacs, but because of the stigma the Jews had at the time, the name was illegally changed to Reeve.
My nan's dad (my great grandfather) was a famous champion boxer called Harry Reeve and I have countless pictures at home of him in his boxing days. He fought in WW1 though and got his leg blown to pieces. Even though it was rebuilt, it ruined his boxing career and so he turned to drink and beating up his family instead!
I grew up with that information, but while looking into my family tree I found something else a bit darker about Harry: when he was over in France, he was technically a soldier/policeman on a notorious camp in Etaples. On one occassion he shot and killed a soldier there which sparked a chain of events that led on to the Etaples Mutiny: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89taples_Mutiny

Harry also had a famous actress cousin called Ada Reeve. Ada wrote an autobiography in the 50's and I was lucky enough to be able to find a copy! I was able to learn a lot more about my family through her book. For one I learnt that Ada's father Charles Reeves (born Samuel Isaacs) was a member of the Whitechapel Vigilance Committee at the time of the Jack the Ripper murders... I suppose he felt he needed to do this because at the time the Jews were seen as the main culprits for the killings... he was also one of the accused at the time! http://www.casebook.org/notable_people/charles-reeves.html

Charles was also an actor like Ada, and apparantly they all came from a musical family (my uncle plays several instruments and manages the band that my younger cousin drums in so shows the connection!). Apparently they moved to Norwich after coming over from Holland in the early 1800's. Charles' father was again an actor I think and his wife Adele Kauper was an opera singer.

And that is as far as my research on that side of the family goes; I'm intrigued to find out where the family came from before Holland as I know Holland was a safe haven for Jews at the time from other parts of Europe who weren't so religiously open minded... but until more of Holland's records are made accessible or I can save up the money to go out there myself and research it, I'm pretty stuck! :o

On my dad's side of the family, there hasn't been much to see so far, it's mainly agricultural labourers in Essex and Kent right back into the 1500's if the sources I've used are to be believed!

I've also done loads of work on Jay's family tree, as Jay has more famous aristocratic connections, it means they are easier to find. On his maternal grandmother's side, there was some illegitimate children who's mother's connection goes all the way back to another illegitimate child, who happened to be the daughter of King "Magna Carter" John! Through these connections (again if the sources are to be believed) there is a link to Robert The Bruce and William Wallace as well in Scotland. Through King John, naturally the link goes through (one of my favourites) Eleanor of Aquitaine, King Henry II, Empress Matilda and down to William the Conqueror!
Then it gets even more hard to believe as the line eventually ends with a famous Viking called Bluetooth; but like I said, these records, might not necessarily be true...

So that's all the research I've done so far... am taking a bit of a breather at the moment, but looking forward to learning more! :D

Ikas90
26-08-11, 08:05
I only have Greek heritage. Mostly Macedonian and Pontian, with a little bit of Spartan.

For those not knowing what "Pontian" is, it's the group of Greeks that used to occupy Northern Turkey.

ChingKong
26-08-11, 08:09

That's amazing! :eek: How long did it take you to compile so much information?

Another Lara
26-08-11, 08:15
That's amazing! :eek: How long did it take you to compile so much information?

lol, I can't really remember, I usally pick up little things as I go! It's surprising, you'll find one little piece of information that you think would be completely useless and it opens up several generations for you!

Anyway, I would say it took me between 6 months to a year to get that far... but there was a lot of starting and stopping and a lot of frustration

ChingKong
26-08-11, 08:22
Wow :) Congratulations on finding out as much you have. :D

noonbob
26-08-11, 11:10
What a interesting thread :)

from my dad's side it goes to Pakistan

from my mom's side it goes to England, Jamaica, Germany and i think Wales ;)

xXhayleyroxXx
26-08-11, 18:43
I wrote a really long post before but my browser crashed and deleted it </3
So I'll start again >.>

I've always been so very, very interested in family history -- and as a result I have searched it and managed to reveal a fairytale, of sorts. The Watson's originally originated from the South of England, where they were nobility, and thought of highly by the then King of England (I can't remember which one >.<) -- and some were knights. These knights and their nobles families were sent to the Scottish Borders, to try and claim Northumbria from the grasp of the Scots.
There was good reason for this -- it had a nature reserve, many castles to accommodate the nobles, as well as potential for growing farms.
http://www.baronage.co.uk/bpgif-01/northumbria.jpg
The English may have won the fight to own Northumbria, but they suffered great losses. The men of the Watson family were decimated, and their women and children left to the hands of the Border Reivers (Mum's family included)-- Robin-Hood esque thieves who quite unlike Robin, stole from anyone, rich or poor for their own benefit. They traversed the rural parts of Northumbria and Scotland. It was during this time that the nobility of the Watson's was vanquished, and the remaining members of the family fell into disarray and poverty.
http://www.tynedaleheritage.org/Images/Reivers/HotTrod.jpg
Further down the line, things became more personal in my heritage. My great-great-great-great-great etc Grandfather owned a mine in Northumbria, somewhere near Allendale where my particular family originated from.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WMahMAC5H0M/TbjPQ_iYrtI/AAAAAAAAAMU/_FP6y18SOgE/s1600/Mine.jpg
And that's as far as I've got D:

I do know we have a family crest, which consists of a griffon (which always reminds me of the Grey Wardens from Dragon Age :p) and 3 birds:
https://my.qoop.com/store/Family-Crests---Coat-of-Arms-Gift-Store-c5e51b2fe1e0d176235b0c1654ab81dc07b37afb/WATSON-FAMILY-CREST----WATSON-COAT-OF-ARMS-jpg-qpps_544533291904367.LG.jpg,275,340,crop

The motto is: Mea gloria fides which roughly translates to 'fidelity is my glory'.

So, essentially I'm noble/thief :p

just*raidin*tomb
26-08-11, 18:45
I know nothing about my family history. I just know that my last name is french and I have an old picture of ancestors that look native american.

It's sad really. I really don't have a single fact about my family history. :/

irishhips
26-08-11, 18:52
300 years, my family name came from scotland and was warriors

Gracious Days
26-08-11, 19:23
Hmm, well I'm half Spanish/Mexican and half Caucasian. That caucasian bit is the part I don't know much about (would be my father's side). My mother's side, can be traced back to Spain and Mexico (if that wasn't obvious hahaha). My father's side is English (and something else)... But that's about all I know about it. Always been curious about finding out exactly where my lineage would trace back to on his side. Just don't know where to even start, since his side wasn't exactly good at keeping records like that.

OMG, we are almost exactly the same! :eek: :D

Mother's Side (Grandmother) - I think most of them come from Mexico, where in the country, I don't know but I could ask today and come and edit. :)

Mother's Side (Grandfather) - I've been told much of my grandfather's family came from Spain, ie. they have lighter features and such. But there's Mexican mixed in here, too.

Father's Side - I really don't know my father's side of the family, like, at all. But I know we are part, if not completely, Scottish. I read they came over and settled in the Tennessee area. That's about it.

sierra xb
26-08-11, 19:35
Father's Side - I really don't know my father's side of the family, like, at all. But I know we are part, if not completely, Scottish. I read they came over and settled in the Tennessee area. That's about it.

Sounds like our families were almost neighbors :)

Gracious Days
26-08-11, 19:42
Sounds like our families were almost neighbors :)

Yeah, I noticed that as well. :) It's too bad what I know isn't as detailed as what you do about your family. My father's side kept more written records of things; I wish I could have a good look at them but most of them live in Virginia these days. My mother's side just seems to remember this stuff. :o

Ora Dagger
26-08-11, 19:53
I dont know too much but...here it goes.

My mothers side is Irish. My great great grandmother(or father) was full cherokee Indian. Which is why my moms side of the family has such a high forehead and a high hairline (like a widows peak).

My fathers side I'm assuming came from England. My dad said that our ancestors owned a bunch of land and had slaves as well. Not sure if thats true or not.....but seeing how my grandfathers says racist remarks, I can believe it:p:pi:

A.JJ.G
26-08-11, 19:56
I'm part Scottish. My great grandfather (mother's side) came from Scotland, while the rest of my family is from Northern Ireland. My cousins have a much interesting family tree; half Irish, a quarter English and a quarter Jamaican.

Rai
26-08-11, 20:10
Hmm, I'm pretty much British through if you go just from immediate family.

My father's side: Grandad H was born in England but his father's side is Scottish, his mother's side is Spanish; Nan H was born Irish, but if you go further back the family were originally from France (don't know how far you'd have to go). On my mother's side: Grandad A was from Wales, but again, if you go far back enough, then his family are from France; Nan A's family are English as far as I know.

Another Lara
26-08-11, 20:13
This thread has given me renewed interest in my family tree so I've just sent off for the marriage certificate of my great grandparents on my dad's side so I can try and get more information about them! :D

sierra xb
27-08-11, 19:47
Yeah, I noticed that as well. :) It's too bad what I know isn't as detailed as what you do about your family. My father's side kept more written records of things; I wish I could have a good look at them but most of them live in Virginia these days. My mother's side just seems to remember this stuff. :o

it seems quite a few Scottish families ended up in that area (Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia...) seems it reminded them of the highlands, and was far enough away from "civilization" to make them happy. It also accounts for why so many familes there acted "clannish" and kept getting into feuds with eachother (a la Hatfields and McCoys).

Ward Dragon
27-08-11, 19:57
Both of my parents were born in the US and I don't know too much about my family before that. My mother's family was from Italy. My father's mother was from Alsace-Lorraine so she was French and German. My father's father was from Ireland. That's about all I know. I'm a bit interested to find out more, but not enough to put in the work of doing the research XD