PDA

View Full Version : Astronomers may have discovered planet made of diamond!

kooky
26-08-11, 11:18
You are not hallucinating, this is very real!

LONDON (Reuters) - Astronomers have spotted an exotic planet that seems to be made of diamond racing around a tiny star in our galactic backyard.
The new planet is far denser than any other known so far and consists largely of carbon. Because it is so dense, scientists calculate the carbon must be crystalline, so a large part of this strange world will effectively be diamond.
"The evolutionary history and amazing density of the planet all suggest it is comprised of carbon -- i.e. a massive diamond orbiting a neutron star every two hours in an orbit so tight it would fit inside our own Sun," said Matthew Bailes of Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne.
Lying 4,000 light years away, or around an eighth of the way toward the center of the Milky Way from the Earth, the planet is probably the remnant of a once-massive star that has lost its outer layers to the so-called pulsar star it orbits.
Pulsars are tiny, dead neutron stars that are only around 20 kilometers (12.4 miles) in diameter and spin hundreds of times a second, emitting beams of radiation.
In the case of pulsar J1719-1438, the beams regularly sweep the Earth and have been monitored by telescopes in Australia, Britain and Hawaii, allowing astronomers to detect modulations due to the gravitational pull of its unseen companion planet.
The measurements suggest the planet, which orbits its star every two hours and 10 minutes, has slightly more mass than Jupiter but is 20 times as dense, Bailes and colleagues reported in the journal Science on Thursday.
In addition to carbon, the new planet is also likely to contain oxygen, which may be more prevalent at the surface and is probably increasingly rare toward the carbon-rich center.
Its high density suggests the lighter elements of hydrogen and helium, which are the main constituents of gas giants like Jupiter, are not present.
Just what this weird diamond world is actually like close up, however, is a mystery.
"In terms of what it would look like, I don't know I could even speculate," said Ben Stappers of the University of Manchester. "I don't imagine that a picture of a very shiny object is what we're looking at here."
(Reporting by Ben Hirschler; Editing by Sophie Hares)
OMG wow, this is amazing stuff!! :D

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/astronomers-discover-planet-made-diamond-180427124.html

Rosaly
26-08-11, 11:20
oh come one can they just focus of finding planet as Earth?

NRO.
26-08-11, 11:24

Have you ever seen Space Pioneers? :P lol

Rosaly
26-08-11, 11:27
Have you ever seen Space Pioneers? :P lol

WTF? I mean its ok finding an interesting planet.
But I think it's better to focus and explore more about finding a planet which is similar to the Earth and near.

NRO.
26-08-11, 11:37
WTF? I mean its ok finding an interesting planet.
But I think it's better to focus and explore more about finding a planet which is similar to the Earth and near.

Lol, no.

Space Pioneers is a show on Discovery Channel where they do just that - search for livable planets.

http://press.discovery.com/emea/dhd/programs/space-pioneer/

'Space Pioneer' is a fascinating six-part series where physicist and host Dr. Basil Singer eagerly plays the role of human guinea pig in his quest to find answers. Follow him as he investigates whether humans could possibly call Mercury, Venus, Mars, Saturn's moon Titan, and Jupiter's moons Callisto and Gliese 581c their home in the future. In the name of science, Dr. Singer subjects himself to extreme temperatures, tests new survival technologies designed to keep humans alive in harsh environments, suffers the rigors of travel in zero gravity, explores ideas for new human habitats in the sky, and much more.

Alex Fly
26-08-11, 11:40
I've found an exclusive closer look picture of this new planet :eek: :

http://i52.************/35co9s6.jpg

... :pi:

Underhoe
26-08-11, 11:42

:vlol:!

Sgt BOMBULOUS
26-08-11, 11:45
I'm sure Debeers has already [somehow] claimed ownership of it.

sandygrimm
26-08-11, 11:49
that should boost up space exploration 3 times faster :vlol:

klona
26-08-11, 12:05
Lara will raid the Tomb of diamonds there...
... I'm sure of it...
:pi:

Spong
26-08-11, 16:48
In an ode to Doctor Who, they better name the planet Midnight :ohn:

Romantics Inc.
26-08-11, 16:54
"...4000 Lightyears away..."

Ha!

Liara
26-08-11, 16:56
In an ode to Doctor Who, they better name the planet Midnight :ohn:
That would be badass on so many levels.

marceepaniq
26-08-11, 17:18

What, no. Planets made of diamonds are IN now :p

leglion
26-08-11, 18:36
They did say there was oxygen at the top so it is a planet like earth i guess.

cezy rockeru
26-08-11, 18:55
congratulations.

trfanX34
26-08-11, 19:29

So much win :vlol:

Dustie
26-08-11, 19:39

But that's exactly what they're doing, they just find other things along the way.

Not that finding another Earth would be much use anyway, considering how far away from us all these bodies are...

Avalon SARL
26-08-11, 20:02
interesting indeed.

Why would we want to find another planet like earth. There is big space for every one here. Besides, suppose a planet like earth is found, what's next?

Rai
26-08-11, 20:25
A diamond planet? Are the inhabitants all female? (what with all the male inhabitants running away screaming).

:p

Cool find though.

leglion
26-08-11, 20:31
interesting indeed.

Why would we want to find another planet like earth. There is big space for every one here. Besides, suppose a planet like earth is found, what's next?

We've already found a planet like Earth. But all we have to do now is wait until technology advances enough to get there then we wait until either we 1.) Run out of resources or 2.) Our sun is about to die so we can colonize that planet.

just*raidin*tomb
26-08-11, 20:37
Well its only 4000 light years away! So that's good. :)

Oh wait. We can't even travel at the speed of light so its more like 4,000,000 years away.

mathew9r
26-08-11, 20:50
Hmm, Somehow this brings me to Minecraft in many ways then one.

Gl NASA :)

iamlaracroft
26-08-11, 21:19
interesting indeed.

are you serious? you ever been to tokyo or china??? we are beyond full capacity. the earth was never meant to support six billion (and counting!) destructive, all-consuming human beings. we are draining our natural resources faster than they can replenish and we're not stopping any time soon.

LaraDuh
26-08-11, 21:20
are you serious? you ever been to tokyo or china??? we are beyond full capacity. the earth was never meant to support six billion (and counting!) destructive, all-consuming human beings. we are draining our natural resources faster than they can replenish and we're not stopping any time soon.

Preach this ****

Horus-Goddess
26-08-11, 21:24
Because people are living longer and arguably, having more children? I don't know. lol!

What ever happened to trying to find a way to live on Mars? :P (kidding)

leglion
26-08-11, 21:26
Because people are living longer and arguably, having more children? I don't know. lol!

What ever happened to trying to find a way to live on Mars? :P (kidding)

Isn't it as easy as transporting Carbon Dioxide to mars and introducing plant species?

Gracious Days
26-08-11, 21:30
Isn't it as easy as transporting Carbon Dioxide to mars and introducing plant species?

But Mars doesn't have much of an atmosphere, and what is there is mostly carbon dioxide anyway.

leglion
26-08-11, 21:40
But Mars doesn't have much of an atmosphere, and what is there is mostly carbon dioxide anyway.

So is there a way to make an atmosphere?

Gracious Days
26-08-11, 21:55
^ Maybe...? http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming

And as for this diamond planet, cool I guess, although they say it's thought to be remants of a star. Weird, a giant burning ball of gas to a super dense, hard sphere.

voltz
26-08-11, 21:56
So is there a way to make an atmosphere?

Yeah, send that "plant a tree" guy.

TRLegendLuver
26-08-11, 22:16
How fascinating! However, I'm more interested in the exploration of our own oceans. We know more about outer space (just look we found out there could very well be a planet made of diamonds, more or less) than we do about our own oceans. There is so much unexplored waters to be searched, so many mysteries to be revealed. I'm going to stick to the oceans and learn the discoveries there.

Plus, I hate being up in the sky. :pi:

voltz
26-08-11, 23:06
You know that neutron star isn't going to make mining possible if it's giving off so much radiation at it's range. I read that the orbit is actually smaller then our sun's diameter and with an orbit running at 2 hours, I don't think we can even catch up with that.

Another thought... I'm curious what if the object that planet was rotating were a black hole instead? I've always wondered how much this would be affected because the gravity is enough to "rip apart" atoms in the horizon. Would a diamond surface be compact and solid enough to allow this thing to hold together? And even if it didn't break up, what happens at the center? Does it get stuck, or will it get belched out like the galaxies biggest cannonball?

Summer B
27-08-11, 00:35
You are not hallucinating, this is very real!

OMG wow, this is amazing stuff!! :D

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/astronomers-discover-planet-made-diamond-180427124.html
That would a make a girl very happy! :D

scoopy_loopy
27-08-11, 01:05

DYING!!! :vlol:

Sir Croft
27-08-11, 02:04
All this talk about planets, atmosphere and terraforming reminded me of Spore... Such an underrated game.

Weemanply109
27-08-11, 02:06
OMG, this is amazing :yik:

Spong
27-08-11, 02:07
All this talk about planets, atmosphere and terraforming reminded me of Spore... Such an underrated game.

It reminds me of Aliens.

"It's what call a shake & bake colony..."

:p

remote91
27-08-11, 02:07
Can a case of champagne and myself live there, please?

Weemanply109
27-08-11, 02:15

That game was fun for about 2 hours.

Great idea. Horrible execution.

Alpharaider47
27-08-11, 06:33
Africa just got one reason to start up a space program :vlol:

sierra xb
27-08-11, 06:39
Another thought... I'm curious what if the object that planet was rotating were a black hole instead? I've always wondered how much this would be affected because the gravity is enough to "rip apart" atoms in the horizon. Would a diamond surface be compact and solid enough to allow this thing to hold together? And even if it didn't break up, what happens at the center? Does it get stuck, or will it get belched out like the galaxies biggest cannonball?

Interesting idea, but not likely. A black hole has a totally different energy signature than a neutron star, and they don't fluctuate, so if one was there, we'd know it. Plus, if the orbital distance of the "diamond" planet is accurate, then it's orbit would be within the event horizon of the black hole and would never be stable (or even exist anymore).

Next, diamonds might be very dense and hard, but they are far from strong. They are in fact, quite brittle and are generally unstable unless they are under alot of pressure. In an outer space environment it wouldn't be too difficult to tear one apart.

The other thing is a black hole isn't really a "hole" in the way that we think about them. It would be more like a single small object in space that pulls everything onto it's surface and won't let it go...ever. Nothing actually goes into a "hole" because there isn't one to go into. The "funnel" shape that many people might be familiar with is not what they'd really look like...that shape is based off of a 3D gravity map, and has no similarities to the actual shape.

TRNation
27-08-11, 08:06
This is so cool :eek: They also found a black-colored planet the size of Jupiter last week. Really strange stuff. Who knows what else is out there..... :cln:

They are. :pi: