PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Irene

innocentvenus
26-08-11, 20:55
Figured I'd make this since it's pretty important to our east coast US TRF members. This way those of us who still have access to the Internet for the next day can relay any information they have on their areas.

Okay, this is all the information I have pertaining to Southern NJ.

As of 8 p.m today, Garden State Parkway southbound lanes from exit 98 downwards are closed.
Tolls on the Parkway have been suspended.
As of 6 p.m. today, Route 72 (all 28 miles) to Route 70 will be under a contraflow plan. This means all eastbound lanes will be used for westbound traffic to aid in the evacuation of LBI, Barnegat, and other shore towns.
LBI, Cape May County, and parts of Atlantic and Monmouth counties are under mandatory evacuations.
Oyster Creek Nuclear Power Plant in Lacey has begun shutdown procedures in order to safe guard themselves. However, if you happen to live within the 10mi evacuation area in the event of a plant meltdown, be advised to have things ready in case.
Hurricane Warnings are issued up until Sandy Hook.

Lol I happen to be affected by every single one of these things. My exit on the parkway is 63, the street I live on connects to Route 72, and I'm within the evacuation area for Oyster Creek.

Killercowz
26-08-11, 20:58
Oooo I have a football game tomorrow.

I hope I wont be in trouble.

Also I heard the Jersey Shore had to evacuate or something along those lines. How are you doing? :(

leglion
26-08-11, 21:00
Apparently I'm in a danger zone so i might have to evacuate. -.-

Lenochka
26-08-11, 21:03

Also I heard the Jersey Shore had to evacuate or something along those lines. How are you doing? :(

Oh noooooo! Snooki! D: lol

innocentvenus
26-08-11, 21:03

I'm fine. Only half my town is being forced to evacuate. I'm a little ways back from that section. However, I can't get out to get any more supplies because of Route 72 being used.

Thankfully I got my stuff already. :)

Apparently I'm in a danger zone so i might have to evacuate. -.-

Where do you live?

CiaKonwerski
26-08-11, 21:07
As worried as I should probably be about this...I am not, which is weird. :p Stay safe everyone.

trlestew
26-08-11, 21:09
I'm not very worried for some odd reason too.

Killercowz
26-08-11, 21:11
I suppose that's one possitive effect of the hurricane. :whi:

:p
I'm fine. Only half my town is being forced to evacuate. I'm a little ways back from that section. However, I can't get out to get any more supplies because of Route 72 being used.

Ahhhh that's good.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
26-08-11, 21:15
This is gods attempt to purge the earth of the cast members of Jersey Shore.

LaraDuh
26-08-11, 21:16

bitch will scare that hurricane away :p

leglion
26-08-11, 21:28

Where do you live?

I live in Queens. :\

Catracoth
26-08-11, 21:35

Lmfao!
:vlol:

hollister
26-08-11, 21:37
ugh all i know is this hurricane better not mess with the power on sunday i gotta see jersey shore and the vmas!!!

BTW the cast of jersey shore aren't even there anymore.. they wrapped up filming in the beginning of the month.

Lenochka
26-08-11, 21:42
BTW the cast of jersey shore aren't even there anymore.. they wrapped up filming in the beginning of the month.

Thank the lord! :,)

Killercowz
26-08-11, 21:44
ugh all i know is this hurricane better not mess with the power on sunday i gotta see jersey shore and the vmas!!!

A hurricane is coming and your worried about the Vmas and the Jersey Shore?

LOL.

Record it.

voltz
26-08-11, 22:00

Here's to hoping they forgot to pack up Snooki on their way out.

TRLegendLuver
26-08-11, 22:07

Oh, Craig. :vlol:

----

People be safe, if your area is asked to evacuate, do so. Don't take any chances. We can all replaces items, materiel things, but we can't replace injuries or our lives as well as anyone else. If would be awful if something was happened to you all because you thought you'd be okay when they asked you to leave the area for a brief time.

hollister
26-08-11, 22:17

LOL.

Record it.

lmao.. i dont have that option :(

2kool4u
26-08-11, 22:19
It sucks that NY isn't really built to stand hurricanes. Be safe and don't be stupid. Stay the **** inside as well! There is going to be a ****load of debris flying around!

Killercowz
26-08-11, 22:22
It sucks that NY isn't really built to stand hurricanes. Be safe and don't be stupid. Stay the **** inside as well! There is going to be a ****load of debris flying around!

Ahaha I want to open my umbrella on my porch so I could pull some Mary Poppins ****. <3

2kool4u
26-08-11, 22:51
:vlol: I don't know if you ever played Silent Hill so you may not get this joke.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/1231/marypopend.jpg

klona
26-08-11, 22:59
^ I don't get it...
Btw, when you evacuate do you take your things with you?
ex. computer, game consoles, cd's, or anything at all.

2kool4u
26-08-11, 23:06
It's an SH2 reference :p

But yea you take whatever is most valuable to you.

innocentvenus
26-08-11, 23:07
^ I don't get it...
Btw, when you evacuate do you take your things with you?
ex. computer, game consoles, cd's, or anything at all.

No. The only things you take are some clothes, important papers/documents/computer, first aid, pets (if the shelters allow them) and that's it.

Weemanply109
26-08-11, 23:45

Thank the lord! :,)

Here's to hoping they forgot to pack up Snooki on their way out.

LOL.

Record it.

LaraCablara
27-08-11, 01:22
I live in New York and I'm in evacuation zone A. Today the mayor issued a mandatory evacuation :(. The joys of living by the ocean.

Encore
27-08-11, 01:48
No. The only things you take are some clothes, important papers/documents/computer, first aid, pets (if the shelters allow them) and that's it.

....WTF?

Does this mean there's a chance you CAN'T take your pet with you during a storm??

innocentvenus
27-08-11, 05:32
Yup. Most shelters allow pets, but some would rather you leave them at the local animal shelter ahead of time.

Also:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f253/midnightshinigami/irene.jpg

CiaKonwerski
27-08-11, 11:36
Does anyone believe the talk that hurricane Irene is a sign from God? The man from the 700 Club said this...

"I don't want to get weird on this, so please take it for what it's worth, but it seems to me the Washington Monument is a symbol of America's power. It has been the symbol of our great nation, we look at that monument and we say this is one nation under God. Now there's a crack in it."

"Is that a sign from the Lord? Is that something that has significance, or is it just the result of an earthquake?"

and Glen Beck (I know I know...:p)

Said this...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/26/glenn-beck-hurricane-iren_n_938411.html

I am a believer in God but this is just...I do not know, it seems silly that people are still thinking these things are "signs". They are called "Natural Disasters" for a reason, they have been here all along. It does seem odd that right after an earthquake we have a hurricane, but if the time is coming for Christ to return to Earth, wouldn't these disasters be more...serious. Such as everyone in the world feeling an earthquake, and the hurricane effecting everyone and not just the East Coast. I am not disagreeing that these things may not happen in the future, but with all that mumbo jumbo back in May about the world ending and now again...it just seems to be ridiculous.

lara c. fan
27-08-11, 11:41
Yeah, natural things are really signs from God. Why didn't we see this before!?

And besides, that monument is made of stone, right? Stone can be cracked. Just because it's a monument doesn't give it special invulnerability...

larson n natla
27-08-11, 12:29
I hope everyone is evacuated safely and that the hurricane has little effect on the places that it hits. :hug:

peeves
27-08-11, 12:31
I'm also in the path of tropical storm irene but iut won't be so bad where i live.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
27-08-11, 13:58
I think the media is preparing people for the worst, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as they don't invoke hysteria. This storm is no where NEAR as bad as Ike, which we sat out in our apt, and it was awful. The next day the devastation was amazing considering we're 50 miles inland. Traffic lamps blown off, billboards blown down, on one road a little wooden toolshed had been blown from someones property out into the street. This is a joke compared to that, though I'm sure it's impacts will be unfortunate.

2kool4u
27-08-11, 15:08
Yeaa i'm just hoping my house isn't flooded. If the power goes out i'm ****ed :vlol:

LaraCablara
27-08-11, 15:11
I think the media is preparing people for the worst, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as they don't invoke hysteria. This storm is no where NEAR as bad as Ike, which we sat out in our apt, and it was awful. The next day the devastation was amazing considering we're 50 miles inland. Traffic lamps blown off, billboards blown down, on one road a little wooden toolshed had been blown from someones property out into the street. This is a joke compared to that, though I'm sure it's impacts will be unfortunate.

Well truthfully, we just had an earthquake in Brooklyn of all places so people are already a little tense. NY isn't meant to withstand hurricanes. But I do agree the Mayor is really causing panic with constant announcements like LEAVE NOW or you will die. Once the subway shuts down in an hour we are all trapped here.

2kool4u
27-08-11, 15:29
We don't really listen to ****, he kinda has to :vlol:

Sgt BOMBULOUS
27-08-11, 15:39
Oh, and we lost power for 8 days during Ike... Guess I should have mentioned that. Remember though, Ike was a strong Cat 2 when it came ashore.

the ancient
27-08-11, 16:09
Irene? that's the name of my grand-mother...

Good luck everyone over there!

larafan25
27-08-11, 16:28
Irene? that's the name of my grand-mother...

Good luck everyone over there!

Mine too.

the ancient
27-08-11, 16:30
Mine too.

Oh my :vlol:

BigR4444
27-08-11, 16:40
Ill be riding it out in Long Beach, NY... most people here are staying, despite the madatory evacuation.... most people realized, that its going to be bad, but not as bad as originally believed... itl probly be downgraded to a tropical storm by the time it gets here.... should be a little scary though... but ive never ridden out a decent storm... im game...

sierra xb
27-08-11, 19:34
.... most people realized, that its going to be bad, but not as bad as originally believed... itl probly be downgraded to a tropical storm by the time it gets here...

Might want to keep an eye on it though (no, not a joke)...it just took a turn back out to sea after crossing Cape Hatteras, so it could easily pick up some more energy now that it is back over water again. Just be careful...

leglion
27-08-11, 19:39
Irene's just mad 'cause she found out Katrina's cheating on her with me. :ohn:

innocentvenus
27-08-11, 21:42
Might want to keep an eye on it though (no, not a joke)...it just took a turn back out to sea after crossing Cape Hatteras, so it could easily pick up some more energy now that it is back over water again. Just be careful...

That's actually a very good idea. They saw a pressure drop once Irene went out over water again, indicating that it might be getting itself a bit together again. With it being over colder waters as well, this doesn't mean that the storm will just die off by the time it gets us. It sort of becomes a bit static with it's wind speeds. Also it's path becomes a little out of control. The problem with the wind is gusts. Sustained wind speeds in a category 1 storm mean we could have gusts at category 2 status.

Also, pressure is the important thing here, not the category. Category only dictates wind speeds, not the intensity of everything else. The lower the pressure, the less air there is to press down on the ocean. This means the storm is able to push more water towards the coastal areas. The problem also is by the time it hits NJ and NY, we'll be in high tide. This combined with a new moon mean that the water is already unusually high without the storm surge.

This storm is huge (450mi across), it's hurricane winds stretch out 96 miles from the center, and has more than enough rain to drench areas that have already been hit with rains during the week.

Now, i just looked at the interactive map on NOAA and the storm's center is supposed to go over just 3 miles from where I live. That's a lot worse than I posted last night lol. :o

The Great Chi
27-08-11, 21:57
Glad I am on the other coast, we only have to worry about quakes :p

Keep your heads down guys, and stay indoors away from the windows !

FloTheMachine
27-08-11, 22:07
Stay safe. :(

2kool4u
28-08-11, 01:02
Wow peps are already losing power, stay safe!

leglion
28-08-11, 03:03
Wow the wind is so strong right now. :( And it hasn't even started yet. The hurricane strength winds start early in the morning apparently. :hea:

Romantics Inc.
28-08-11, 03:17
"Who the hell is Irene, and why is everyone talking about her so much?"

Catracoth
28-08-11, 03:26
"Virginia gets plowed by Hurricane Irene."

Virginia, you whore!

voltz
28-08-11, 03:34
Here I am.... Rock you like a Hurricane!!

LaraCablara
28-08-11, 04:23
This thing is 70 miles away from NYC yet it looks like the apocalypse outside already.

Dark Lugia 2
28-08-11, 04:35
^ Oh my... I hope NY will be ok. Imagining a hurricane go through that city is just worrying.

2kool4u
28-08-11, 04:37
This thing is 70 miles away from NYC yet it looks like the apocalypse outside already.

I think it's a little more than that, like a few hours ago newsman said it was like 275 miles away. This storm is moving so damn slow >_< Also that quote "Virginia get's plowed by Irene" has me rolling :vlol:

Killercowz
28-08-11, 04:52
Oh ****. The wind just came. And a dead tree near my house looks like it's going to collapse. The wind isn't even at it's prime.

2kool4u
28-08-11, 04:54
A tree already fell on a car up by me <_<

Killercowz
28-08-11, 05:08
A tree already fell on a car up by me <_<

Oh lord. That's not good.

pizzabob18
28-08-11, 05:50
Gotta savor having power and internet before it seems I'm going to lose it for a couple of days. I'm in the south-west of Connecticut and we're supposed to be in the epicenter of the storm in 12 hours or so, but it's certainly weakening from what I've seen, and might end up the most minimum force a hurricane can be, or even a tropical storm. Still, it's getting gusty and it's raining pretty hard outside. To anyone who lives in New England, stay indoors, keep your pets inside, stay safe, and above all, stay calm! :)

voltz
28-08-11, 06:24
I really don't get how some of you people are stupid enough to believe you can sit there and brave this out. If you're in the evacuation area, for Christ's sakes GO!!

Seriously... go ask the dead folks who thought they could brave it too.

just*raidin*tomb
28-08-11, 06:38
This storm made landfall in my state and a tree fell on a man and killed him. :/

I really hope everyone stays safe. A hurricane in NYC just seems terrifying.

iamlaracroft
28-08-11, 07:04
I really don't get how some of you people are stupid enough to believe you can sit there and brave this out. If you're in the evacuation area, for Christ's sakes GO!!

Indeed. Lest we not forget the horrifying nightmare several of our very own members suffered through three years ago at at the hands of Hurricane Ike

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=134038&highlight=Hurricane

Unprecedented flooding, destruction, and widespread power outrage for weeks. Pics in the thread are haunting and should serve as a warning to those who think "braving" a hurricane is no biggie.

NRO.
28-08-11, 07:40
I hope everyone will be okay. :hug:

Also, the whole situation reminds me of this: (not meant to be insensitive)

kAngeOliB_8

Catracoth
28-08-11, 13:39
Hurricane Irene is happening right now, allegedly.
Here in southcoast Massachusetts, it's just raining and very windy.

Spong
28-08-11, 14:03
Apparently it's been downgraded to a tropical storm. Less exciting from BBC News24's stance, they've already stopped streaming live footage from Time Square because they know it's likely nothing's gonna come of it.

Catracoth
28-08-11, 15:18
Yet again, exaggerated weather.
This is nothing to us New Englanders.

pizzabob18
28-08-11, 16:24
A couple of downed trees, lots of scattered leaves/branches. Definitely not the total disaster everyone was fearing.

leglion
28-08-11, 18:41
All it did in my area from what i can see a break a minor branch from the tree in my front yard. -___-

Catracoth
28-08-11, 18:44
Branches fell here.
That's it.
"Biggest hurricane ever!!1!"
Hmm. In other news, I just ate a hot pocket.

Also, the wind made me fall down. :pi:

The Great Chi
28-08-11, 18:51
Well its better for everyone who live in the area, to have it dropped down in intensity, and thus saving lives and property, rather than have a dramatic news story.

Glad its nearly over for you guys and you can return to normal life ASAP :tmb:

innocentvenus
28-08-11, 20:34
For getting Irene's second landfall, we didn't even hurricane winds at all. Had a couple of tornado's near my house, but that was it. I had power, Internet, and satellite TV the entire time.

It seems like Central Jersey got the worst. The Raritan River is going to crest at 40 feet.

LaraCablara
28-08-11, 21:15

Honestly those dead folks probably lived in houses. I was in an evacuation zone (one of the most serious ones), and I got through it fine. It really was not that bad..

sierra xb
28-08-11, 21:26
Branches fell here.
That's it.
"Biggest hurricane ever!!1!"
Hmm. In other news, I just ate a hot pocket.

Also, the wind made me fall down. :pi:

well maybe it was not much of an event where you are at (and that's a good thing), but it still caused big problems for others, especially in NJ. Possibly a billion+ dollars by last estimate and they are just beginning to assess the damage. With the economy the way it is, people just can't take a financial hit like that...so be very very grateful that nothing happened to you.

EDIT: oh yeah, don't forget that at least 6 people died from this storm...so hope you enjoyed your hot pocket.

iamlaracroft
28-08-11, 21:56
the death toll is up to 15 now...

DragonSlayer
28-08-11, 22:05
They were saying on sky news a while ago that Barack Obama may have over-reacted in issuing evacuation warnings for New York, surely in this case it's better to have over-reacted than done nothing and end up with another New Orleans on their hands, it seems you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

:vlol: I don't know if you ever played Silent Hill so you may not get this joke.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/1231/marypopend.jpg

Irene's just mad 'cause she found out Katrina's cheating on her with me. :ohn:

I know someone named Katrina, she's got the nickname hurricane Katrina because she's a handful and does try other people's patience.

innocentvenus
28-08-11, 22:50
A lot of people here are pissed they listened to the evacuation orders. Next time they said they won't. They seemed to forget Irene was actually supposed to be worse when all the orders were given.

Yet these will be the same people bitching when the next one comes along and no one comes to save them because they didn't leave. I guess no one likes to be prepared for the worst, just in case.

Catracoth
28-08-11, 22:52
EDIT: oh yeah, don't forget that at least 6 people died from this storm...so hope you enjoyed your hot pocket.

The news said 20.

Weemanply109
28-08-11, 23:07
Stay safe people or deliberately get hurt if you wish to do so.. :whi:

Catracoth
28-08-11, 23:29
A few of my friends went to the beach today. I shook my head.

Lukass
29-08-11, 00:01
I feel so sorry for all the people who live there :( Hope everythin's gonna be ok.

just*raidin*tomb
29-08-11, 00:36
Wow, I was expecting Manhattan to be under 10-15 feet of water by now...

Way to exaggerate the circumstances. :pi:

I think this storm is a whole lot less deadly than everyone thought it was going to be.

Catracoth
29-08-11, 00:37
I think this storm is a whole lot less deadly than everyone thought it was going to be.

It's still deadly. People have died.

CiaKonwerski
02-09-11, 00:44
So...is everyone ready for Katia? :p

leglion
02-09-11, 01:58
So...is everyone ready for Katia? :p

What? :hea:

CiaKonwerski
02-09-11, 02:00
Supposedly another hurricane called Katia is coming next week. :/

NRO.
13-09-11, 13:24
Bump.

Well, Katia will come to Finland tomorrow. Been raining like hell the past few days. The news say that it's not gonna be dangerous, but I dunno. I live next to the friggin ocean.

Draco
13-09-11, 13:29
Irene was blown way out of proportion.

Carbon
13-09-11, 19:31
Bump.

Well, Katia will come to Finland tomorrow. Been raining like hell the past few days. The news say that it's not gonna be dangerous, but I dunno. I live next to the friggin ocean.

It hit Scotland already... hate gale force winds soooo much!.

Killercowz
13-09-11, 19:34
Irene was blown way out of proportion.
Totally.

FloTheMachine
13-09-11, 19:37
I'm not sure if its that hurricane, but I live in Ireland, and we recently (like yesterday) got the tail end of some hurricane. Maybe it was this one me thinks. D:

Danni
13-09-11, 19:52
I'm not sure if its that hurricane, but I live in Ireland, and we recently (like yesterday) got the tail end of some hurricane. Maybe it was this one me thinks. D:

We're getting the tail end of a hurricane (hurricane Irene?) right now, high winds over here.

NRO.
14-09-11, 14:05
Well, all Katia did here was knock over a few powerlines so that some people don't have electricity. It was mostly in the south. I live south-westish, everything is fine here except for the rain.