PDA

View Full Version : The TR Level Tournament: Round 2, Quarter 1 Voting

Ward Dragon
26-08-11, 23:28
See the general thread for the tournament (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=183565) which includes all match-ups from Round 2, as well as the results from Round 1.

Quarter 1 consists of the winners from Divisions 1 and 2 from Round 1.

Please vote for one level from each pair :)

Division 8 Results
Winners are in bold.

Nevada Desert (TR3)
Wrath of the Beast (AoD)

The Opera House (TR2)
Sphinx Complex (TRLR)

Escape With the Iris (TRC)
Temple of Puna (TR3)

Temple of Poseidon (TRLR)
40 Fathoms (TR2)

Sanctuary of the Scion (TR1)
Bouchard's Hideout

Thames Wharf (TR3)
Inside The Great Pyramid (TRLR)

Pharos, Temple of Isis (TRLR)
Von Croy's Apartment (AoD)

Aquatic Research Area
Living Quarters (TR2)

TRexbait
26-08-11, 23:33
Barkhang Monastery better not lose here... Or Cleopatra's Palaces either... Or Palace Midas.

Those are the only ones I care enough to mention. :p

Rai
26-08-11, 23:36
^Agreed.

Voted. :)

Blackmoor
27-08-11, 00:06
OK, here's mine...

*Palace Midas (one of the best TR levels ever)
*The Deck (all that lovely white and blue on a ship that is under water, and inspired wanderings through nearby caves :) And - Tomb of Ancients = *feels ill*)
*Louvre Storm Drains (I just love the fact that we're in the Louvre in some capacity! :eek:)
*Coastal Village (v. a crappy AoD level, not a hope this is going the other way! :p)
*Monstrum Crime Scene (Prague...in snow. mmmmmm. :cool:)
*The Great Pyramid
*Aldwych (One of my favouritest TR levels. Amazing concept & execution. :D)
*Bartolli's hideout (Venice...lovely. :))

sheepman23
27-08-11, 02:01
Yep, these ones were definitely tougher. I actually had to pull out my old "level rankings" (sad, I know :o) to make some decisions as I couldn't do it by just picking them here.

... Rather surprised with the results so far. I hadn't expected Coastal Village to start off over Vault of Trophies, although the former seems to be a huge favorite of TR3 (it's a very nice level, but not TR3's best :p) as well as Tomb of Qualopec being almost tied with Aldwych. :yik: I mean, crap, I thought that everyone loved Aldwych! :(

Seth94
27-08-11, 10:12
My votes:

Palace Midas
The Deck
Tomb of Semerkhet
The Vault of Trophies
Barkhang Monastery
The Great Pyramid
Tomb of Qualopec
Bartoli's Hideout

tomee
27-08-11, 11:53
Palace Midas - Palace Midas is just simply better
The deck - Ah all those exploration :cln:
Tomb of Semerkhet - I love Louvre storm drains, but Tomb of Semerket is even better.
Coastal village - Amazinggreatbeautifulawesome. :cln:
Barkhang monastery - No contest
The great pyramid - I played this level a really long time agoe, but I remember it was amazing. ^^
Aldwych - It's probably the biggest Tomb RAider level I ever played. I can't believe Tomb of Qualopec is ahead. D:
Bartoli's hideout - Cleapatra's palace is nice, but it's a bit 'meh'

... Rather surprised with the results so far. I hadn't expected Coastal Village to start off over Vault of Trophies, although the former seems to be a huge favorite of TR3 (it's a very nice level, but not TR3's best :p) as well as Tomb of Qualopec being almost tied with Aldwych. :yik: I mean, crap, I thought that everyone loved Aldwych! :(

Vault of Trophies was just a bunch of flooded corridors, a big flooded room, where you can take the time and figure out what to doif you activate a respirator and a final room, which was nice. However Coastal village has a beatiful beach, two different routes, some great puzzle & it's longer than Vault of trophies.

However I'm really surpriesd at Aldwych too. I mean really people? O_O Tomb of Qualopec is even ahead atm. D:

sheepman23
27-08-11, 11:57
Vault of Trophies was just a bunch of flooded corridors, a big flooded room, where you can take the time and figure out what to doif you activate a respirator and a final room, which was nice. However Coastal village has a beatiful beach, two different routes, some great puzzle & it's longer than Vault of trophies.

I like Coastal Village a lot (heck, I love every level of the South Pacific :tmb:), but the second half of the level just seriously drags. The first part, as you mention, is really cool as we get two different routes, that gorgeous beach area, and the cliffside with the temple (LOVE the level design here :eek:), but I guess the level just doesn't give me anything truly memorable, besides the beach.

The Vault of Trophies... I LOVE swimming in AoD, one of the things that they got right with the game. :tmb: The underwater traps are cool, and it's just so much fun maneuvering around, especially if you've equipped Lara with the respirator or aqualung and can be more free. :D The second part of the level isn't as good, as it's more stupid traps, and the puzzle for getting the Obscura Painting isn't exactly the greatest thing, but for the most part? One of the more exciting levels of AoD. :)

tomee
27-08-11, 12:01
I really liked the village itself too. And the floating medipack was memorable enough for me. :D I was trying to egt it for half an hour. :vlol:

yeah. we obtain the painting in like five minutes and Eckhard's mens were trying the same for months. :/ :vlol:

aidanmalone
27-08-11, 12:18
Wow louvre storm drains is getting thrashed :P
TR2 levels are instant win :tmb:

peeves
27-08-11, 12:33
Diving Area
The Deck
Louvre Storm Drains
Coastal Village
Barkhang Monastery
Great Pyramid TR1
Aldwych
Bartoli's Hideout

sheepman23
27-08-11, 14:18
Wow louvre storm drains is getting thrashed :P
TR2 levels are instant win :tmb:

This, exactly. :tmb:

Somehow I thought there would be more votes at this point... :/

sheepman23
27-08-11, 18:07
Also, just so everyone is aware, this poll will go until Tuesday (4 days instead of 3) so that more people have a chance to vote. :tmb:

TRexbait
27-08-11, 18:28
TR2 levels are instant win :tmb:Beg to differ. I despise TR2, I almost dislike it more than Chronicles. The Venice locations, by the way were among my least favorite TR level locations in the entire series. (The China and Tibet levels are the only reason why I bother replaying the game at all. :o)

Vinkula
27-08-11, 18:55
Voted!

sheepman23
27-08-11, 19:37
Beg to differ. I despise TR2, I almost dislike it more than Chronicles. The Venice locations, by the way were among my least favorite TR level locations in the entire series. (The China and Tibet levels are the only reason why I bother replaying the game at all. :o)

No!!!!!! :ohn: TR2 is the BEST! :tmb:

Voted!

Thanks Vinkula! :)

Now we just need 86 voters total, like there was for the very first poll (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=183579) that came out... :D

patriots88888
27-08-11, 19:43
Cleopatra's Palaces in a tie with that level? What the hell is going on around here? :p

No!!!!!! :ohn: The Last Revelation is the BEST! :tmb:

Fixed! :D

Seth94
27-08-11, 19:46
No!!!!!! :ohn: TR3 is the BEST! :tmb:

Fixed properly this time. :p

:D

Dunnut7
27-08-11, 19:47
These are the ones I voted for:

- Palace Midas
- Tomb of Ancients
- Tomb of Semerkhet
- Coastal Village
- Barkhang Monastery
- The Great Pyramid
- Tomb of Qualopec
- Bartoli's Hideout

Ward Dragon
27-08-11, 19:49
Cleopatra's Palaces in a tie with that level? What the hell is going on around here? :p

Well what's so good about it? :pi:

In all seriousness a lot of the TR4 levels are blurred together in my memory so if you say what you liked about it then I'll probably have a clearer idea of which one it was. I did vote for it though because I remember it being involved with the mechanical scarab puzzle and I didn't like Bartoli's Hideout all that much.

patriots88888
27-08-11, 19:58
Well what's so good about it? :pi:

In all seriousness a lot of the TR4 levels are blurred together in my memory so if you say what you liked about it then I'll probably have a clearer idea of which one it was.

The...
graphics
gameplay
atmosphere...

:p

What stood out the most for me was the level's uniqueness... nothing about it was like any other level... far from it actually (the Golden Lara statue puzzle, the mechanical scarab, etc...) You finding it as 'blurred together' with all the other levels I find kinda odd to say the least. :pi:

Ward Dragon
27-08-11, 20:05
The...
graphics
gameplay
atmosphere...

:p

What stood out the most for me was the level's uniqueness... nothing about it was like any other level... far from it actually (the Golden Lara statue puzzle, the mechanical scarab, etc...) You finding it as 'blurred together' with all the other levels I find kinda odd to say the least. :pi:

When I said blurred together, I meant that all the levels were connected so I have trouble remembering which things go with which level title. I did like the scarab beetle and the golden Lara puzzle though, so I'm glad I voted for the level :D

sheepman23
27-08-11, 20:20
Cleopatra's Palaces is definitely one of my favorites of TRLR. :D It has so much nice greenery (especially in that fountain room at the beginning of the level :eek:), lots of exploration, the mechanical scarab puzzle, golden Lara statue, golden birds... and Cleopatra's guardians. Just a very solid level all the way around, and lots of fun! :tmb:

http://www.skribblerz.com/tr/trc/tr4cleopatrangxz20.jpg

http://www.skribblerz.com/tr/trc/tr4cleopatrangxz17.jpg

http://www.skribblerz.com/tr/trc/tr4cleopatrangxz12.jpg

http://www.skribblerz.com/tr/trc/tr4cleopatrangxz07.jpg

Definitely one of the most beautiful levels in the series. :cln:

sheepman23
27-08-11, 23:11
Is anyone else... uh... SHOCKED that Tomb of Qualopec and Aldwych are TIED?!?! :yik:

Seth94
27-08-11, 23:38
Is anyone else... uh... SHOCKED that Tomb of Qualopec and Aldwych are TIED?!?! :yik:

Yeah, I think Tomb of Qualopec should be winning easily. :p

sheepman23
28-08-11, 02:40
Yeah, I think Tomb of Qualopec should be winning easily. :p

I really like how this tournament has been putting levels against eachother that I normally wouldn't compare... and then the results are sometimes rather surprising. :D

tomee
28-08-11, 09:55

Yep. :eek: I really don't get how the first can compete with the latter. ToQ was really small compared to Aldwych, and it as way easier. :/

Yeah, I think Aldwych should be winning easily. :p

Fixed for you. ;)

sheepman23
28-08-11, 13:19
Yep. :eek: I really don't get how the first can compete with the latter. ToQ was really small compared to Aldwych, and it as way easier. :/

Tomb of Qualopec was a nice little level, but the feeling of playing it just can't compete with the superior Aldwych, which excels in terms of lighting, atmosphere, and exploration. :tmb:

sheepman23
29-08-11, 01:42
Hoping for more votes yet. It seems like we've lost quite a few of the voters from the earlier polls...

Dark Wiseman
29-08-11, 10:35
Only difficult one for me this time was "Cleopatra's Palaces" versus "Bartoli's Hideout". Really had to think about that one. The rest were easy.

b0bb13
29-08-11, 11:19
Like, voted. Go, Bartoli's Derpout! <3

Seth94
29-08-11, 11:36
If only Vault of Trophies could beat Coastal Village - then all my chosen levels would win. :D

sheepman23
29-08-11, 11:38
I've lost hope for Aldwych beating Tomb of Qualopec, unless 10 more people decide to vote for it by tomorrow. :(

Dark Wiseman
29-08-11, 11:40
If only Vault of Trophies could beat Coastal Village - then all my chosen levels would win. :DHeh, yeah. :D
It's not going to happen though. :(

tomee
29-08-11, 12:11
I've lost hope for Aldwych beating Tomb of Qualopec, unless 10 more people decide to vote for it by tomorrow. :(

pfft. I'm pretty sure ToQ's voters were people who couldn't finish Aldwych without using help and got frustrated because of this. :/

Seth94
29-08-11, 12:15
Heh, yeah. :D
It's not going to happen though. :(

I agree, 17 votes is a lot to catch up. :)

pfft. I'm pretty sure ToQ's voters were people who couldn't finish Aldwych without using help and got frustrated because of this. :/

I finished Aldwych without any help, but still voted Tomb of Qualopec. For me, I found Aldwych a bit too dull. Yes, there were some good moments in the level, such as the drill trap, etc, but imo it was a bit too boring. The background audio was spooky and fitted with the atmosphere, but it became boring to listen to constantly, especially in a long level like Aldwych is. ;)

peeves
29-08-11, 13:21
I just wish louvre storm drains would beat tomb of semerkhet only because semerkhet is in my least favorite TR game by core design.

tomee
29-08-11, 13:57
I just wish louvre storm drains would beat tomb of semerkhet only because semerkhet is in my least favorite TR game by core design.

it's a level, not a game..

peeves
29-08-11, 13:58
it's a level, not a game..

i know but i don't like tomb of semerkhet that much.

Dark Wiseman
29-08-11, 14:08
I've finished every single TR game without any assistance whatsoever, so no. :p Aldwych just has too many flaws with it for me to ignore.

tomee
29-08-11, 14:09
I really don't get how you can hate it considering how big that level is, with two possible route and nice puzzles (and a shortcut to the senet controlling balcony just for your taste).
Everybody liked that level but whatever, it's your opinion. I guess your more into urban urban levels.

I've finished every single TR game without any assistance whatsoever, so no. :p Aldwych just has too many flaws with it for me to ignore.

for example? O_O I mean the small labyrinth thingie before you insert the two keys was unfair but what else was so bad?

Seth94
29-08-11, 14:53
for example? O_O I mean the small labyrinth thingie before you insert the two keys was unfair but what else was so bad?

These are the main negatives imo:

- Too much backtracking, especially if you want all the secrets
- Lots of boring corridors (Mainly after the timed doors area and before the masonic temple)
- Lots of dull rooms with rather dull lighting
- Atmosphere and background audio becomes very repetitive
- Lack of gameplay ideas throughout most of the level

tomee
29-08-11, 16:12

- Lots of boring corridors (Mainly after the timed doors area and before the masonic temple)
- Atmosphere and background audio becomes very repetitive

hmm I don't remember too much backtracking, but I completed it once so I'll leave that to you. I also don't remember too much corridors. Did I miss a big part of the level? O_O

The lightnings was pretty dull I agree. (Not that ToQ was better. :/)

The background audio of ToQ was already used in caves. I didn't found it repetitive when I played it but it seems it was only me.

and erm, I think it was full of good ideas. :confused:

I admit most of these, but I'm still not convinced that ToQ was better better even with the falws you mentioned.
Oh well, different tastes.

xLara_Nathanx
29-08-11, 16:17
le voted.

Seth94
29-08-11, 16:26
and erm, I think it was full of good ideas. :confused:

I really liked the drill trap, and the masonic temple area, but imo there was too much running through corridors and jumping, without there being any traps. :)

As well as this there was the labyrinth puzzle, which wasn't very original imo. ;)

tomee
29-08-11, 16:33
As well as this there was the labyrinth puzzle, which wasn't very original imo. ;)

I know. They're always so uninspired. It feels like they are used when the creators are out of ideas.

But I really liked how trains appeared out of nowhere, and the only train which stays in on place. It's actually a train where people were hiding during WWII.
I also liked using a moveable block to extend (and so making reachable) a ladder, the crowbar. And the penny-ticket idea.

sheepman23
29-08-11, 20:54

Do you hate The Last Revelation all of a sudden? :p And Tomb of Semerkhet is far superior to Louvre Storm Drains in many ways IMO. Of course, it's your opinion, but I feel that ToS is just an incredibly unique level with the Senet game, the different paths, the "deep dark tomb" feel, and the traps. :jmp: Louvre Storm Drains isn't bad, but the only real great things about it are the music and the gas tank explosion. The rest is kind of boring and repetitive. :/

Eh, I can take a bit of bactracking, especially after all of the nonsense in Thames Wharf, having to go back to the start of the level that many times is stupid. :pi:

Really? I thought the lighting was one of the best parts of the level, so creepy and mysterious. :D I mean, I wouldn't have wanted the level to have been all bright and cheery.

And like tomee pointed out, Tomb of Qualopec isn't any better in this department.

To me, Aldwych's gameplay is based off of the feeling of exploration, not necessarily individual gameplay ideas. Things like the drill, the trains, the Masonic temple, and the timed doors are pretty cool, though, and really enhance the level. :tmb:

Seth94
29-08-11, 21:30
Well sorry for having an opinion different to yours lol. :p :D

Eh, I can take a bit of bactracking, especially after all of the nonsense in Thames Wharf, having to go back to the start of the level that many times is stupid. :pi:

I thought both levels had an extreme amount of backtracking, but I found this more present in Aldwych than in Thames Wharf. ;)

Really? I thought the lighting was one of the best parts of the level, so creepy and mysterious. :D I mean, I wouldn't have wanted the level to have been all bright and cheery.

And like tomee pointed out, Tomb of Qualopec isn't any better in this department.

I didn't say all of it, but there were lots of corridors and rooms, especially the first area, where the lighting was very dull. :o

To me, Aldwych's gameplay is based off of the feeling of exploration, not necessarily individual gameplay ideas. Things like the drill, the trains, the Masonic temple, and the timed doors are pretty cool, though, and really enhance the level. :tmb:

I agree that those things were cool ideas, but they lasted for about 10 or 20 seconds each in a level that lasted about 40 - 50 minutes. The rest between was rather boring imo. :)

sheepman23
29-08-11, 21:41
Well sorry for having an opinion different to yours lol. :p :D

Oh, I didn't mean that your opinion was wrong and mine was right. :o I was just saying why I think it's a phenomenal level. :D Sorry if it looked that way.

Anyway, I was thinking about starting the next poll tonight - does anyone think we should wait until tomorrow? I don't think there will be many more voters tonight, lol. :p

Ward Dragon
29-08-11, 21:44
The only part in the London levels that I remember liking was the museum, and I didn't like it enough to vote for it over Tomb of Qualopec anyway, so I went with ToQ and didn't bother checking if Aldwych was the one with the museum or not.

As far as the lighting goes, yeah ToQ didn't have any lighting variation due to the TR1 engine, but at least I could see everything. I hated the excessive use of shadow bulbs in TR3 London (or at least I'm assuming that's what they did because it was ridiculous how dark most of the areas were, and how walking into an alcove literally looked like Lara was entering some kind of black miasma that hung there obscuring the view XD).

Seth94
29-08-11, 21:47
Anyway, I was thinking about starting the next poll tonight - does anyone think we should wait until tomorrow? I don't think there will be many more voters tonight, lol. :p

I think you should start the next poll today. :D I agree, I don't think there will be many more, if any, voters for this poll.

The only part in the London levels that I remember liking was the museum, and I didn't like it enough to vote for it over Tomb of Qualopec anyway, so I went with ToQ and didn't bother checking if Aldwych was the one with the museum or not.

The one with the museum was Lud's Gate. :)

Ward Dragon
29-08-11, 21:48
The one with the museum was Lud's Gate. :)

Ah, thanks :)

tomee
29-08-11, 22:01

I think we can start the next one. Even if someone would vote the results wouldn't change and poor Aldwch should rest in heaven now. lol

RIP Aldwych. I never imagined ToQ could beat thee.

TRF can surprise me. XD

sheepman23
29-08-11, 22:08
As far as the lighting goes, yeah ToQ didn't have any lighting variation due to the TR1 engine, but at least I could see everything. I hated the excessive use of shadow bulbs in TR3 London (or at least I'm assuming that's what they did because it was ridiculous how dark most of the areas were, and how walking into an alcove literally looked like Lara was entering some kind of black miasma that hung there obscuring the view XD).

A very good point you make there. I think the shadows and everything just really enhance the atmosphere for me, though. :tmb: In the end, I loved Aldwych, and ToQ was just a tad boring for me, but still a very nice level. :D

I think you should start the next poll today. :D I agree, I don't think there will be many more, if any, voters for this poll.

There's still Mytly, who's been voting in every poll thus far... I hope she doesn't mind if we start the next one tonight, as I'd really like to. :o

I think we can start the next one. Even if someone would vote the results wouldn't change and poor Aldwch should rest in heaven now. lol

RIP Aldwych. I never imagined ToQ could beat thee.

TRF can surprise me. XD

Yes, RIP Aldwych. You will remain as one of my 10/10 levels of the series. :tmb:

So, this poll can probably be closed unless anyone has anything to add for discussion. :p I'll try and PM Jenni with the Quarter 2 stuff here in a bit. ;)

Ward Dragon
29-08-11, 22:59
So, this poll can probably be closed unless anyone has anything to add for discussion. :p I'll try and PM Jenni with the Quarter 2 stuff here in a bit. ;)

Got it :) I'll set the next poll up now.