PDA

View Full Version : Now what is this?

lance6439
27-08-11, 19:27
Saw it at the store a month ago. Finally got a picture. Is this necessarily needed? :rolleyes:
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lq6woinUPz1r149u6o1_500.png

Carbonek_0051
27-08-11, 19:28
Erm...well this is awkward.

Gladous
27-08-11, 19:29
This seems... fake.

KC Mraz
27-08-11, 19:32
I can't believe it either.

Washable markers! We didn't have that kind when I was a little kid. I mean we did but they never really fade from the fabric completely. How times change.

lance6439
This seems... fake.

saw something like it similar when i was shopping. My friends and I found it funny....but so awkward.
except the "multicultural" part was not on.

King.Louie
wow..

cezy rockeru
27-08-11, 19:33
what's this? An useless thread.

leglion
27-08-11, 19:34
Saw it at the store a month ago. Finally got a picture. Is this necessarily needed? :rolleyes:
[IMG]http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lq6woinUPz1r149u6o1_500.png[IMG]

Meh. I see no problem with it. They're marketing flesh toned markers form each ethnicity it seems. I would have found useful when i was younger because i couldn't find the perfect flesh toned markers for myself when i was drawing.

Killercowz
27-08-11, 19:35
Wow.

^ And Oooo.
Well they are useful for something.

lance6439
27-08-11, 19:36
Meh. I see no problem with it. They're marketing flesh toned markers form each ethnicity it seems. I would have found useful when i was younger because i couldn't find the perfect flesh toned markers for myself when i was drawing.

That can work as well [:

What's this? Spam? ...if useless why comment? :rolleyes:

Carbonek_0051

Seriously, come off it. While I do think lance does make some useless threads sometimes, this one can actually spark discussion. No need to make a comment every single damn time lance makes a thread, even if he is annoying.

Lukass
Um, ok...and what's wrong with it :confused:

AmericanAssassin
27-08-11, 19:37
OMFG! :vlol: LMFAOOOOOOOOOO!!! :p

Mikky
27-08-11, 19:40
I don't get what's so funny or so shocking about this. I think it would be kinda useful. :p

_Awestruck_
27-08-11, 19:41
Those are called markers :)

TRhalloween
27-08-11, 19:45
For a pen set that promotes multiculturalism it actually offers less variety when it comes to colour. I don't see the problem though, it's kind of nice.

Super Badnik
27-08-11, 19:45
Actually those could be really useful. I remember when I was a young child and I could never find a skin coloured crayon when I was colouring so they always had to be paper white or pink. I really could have used these, thankfully the next generation will be fully prepared when colouring people in.

TRexbait
27-08-11, 19:50
Asides from the initial "WTF?" I actually think they'd have practical use. No more having to color all people either "tan" or peach" :rolleyes:

Encore
27-08-11, 19:55
Maybe it's just because I'm very used to drawing and painting people, but I honestly find all those skin tones extremely useful in art materials. OK, this is for kids, not artists, but still, it's not pointless like some in this thread seem to think (to the point of judging the picture fake!).

Underhoe
27-08-11, 19:55
I'd have killed for that when I was younger.

Spong
27-08-11, 19:58
Ironic title Lance, because that's what I normally think when I see one of your threads ;):D

But anyway...

Washability you can trust? I've never seen such an outrageous claim made on the front of a box of markers. These people are worse than paedophiles :mad:

Seriously though, I don't see the problem. It looks like the majority of skin tones are catered for. Like others have said, it's a damn sight better than just using pink or brown.

Ward Dragon
27-08-11, 20:01
I actually remember those from my fourth grade art class. The teacher made a big joke about the crayons being labeled "multicultural" instead of "multiracial" (he said for example if a white kid grew up in Japan then culturally the kid would be Japanese but his skin would still be white :p). But yeah, they were very useful for drawing people with accurate skin tones :)

Apathetic
27-08-11, 20:03
Why not?

Catracoth
27-08-11, 20:03

:vlol:
+1

Ward Dragon
27-08-11, 20:09
Enough with the spam and making fun of the OP. If you don't want to discuss the artistic merit of skin-tone markers and crayons then don't post. I think the thread could have an interesting discussion so I won't close it :)

Catracoth
27-08-11, 20:14
Multicultural washable markers.
I'm a creative and imaginative person, but even I am having trouble trying to think of what discussion could be had about an art utensil. :vlol:

Killercowz
27-08-11, 20:17
I'm a creative and imaginative person, but even I am having trouble trying to think of what discussion could be had about an art utensil. :vlol:

One can see it to be promoting different cultures to young children.

Dark Lugia 2
27-08-11, 20:17
What's the problem? I always hated not being able to colour characters with the skin tone I imagined them to be when I was younger. :p It's just Crayola's way of making more money.

Catracoth
27-08-11, 20:19
One can see it to be promoting different cultures to young children.

You do realize that multicultural crayons, pencils, markers, etc. have been around since the dawn of time, right? It's nothing new.

Killercowz
27-08-11, 20:20
You do realize that multicultural crayons, pencils, markers, etc. have been around since the dawn of time, right? It's nothing new.

I never said I viewed it to be promoting different cultures, I actually like them and I think they're very useful. :)

chrimajon
27-08-11, 20:23
...even I am having trouble trying to think of what discussion could be had about an art utensil. :vlol:

There is really no discussion to be had..it's a thread once again started by lance based on one of his half-arsed notions..

leglion
27-08-11, 20:30
http://tosh.comedycentral.com/blog/files/2011/05/7319-1.jpg
Now this deserves it's own thread. :pi:

Carbonek_0051
27-08-11, 20:30

You're honestly coming off as a troll and it's not a good look on you Mason.

Anyway, I don't know, on one hand they could be useful for people who need the colors for skin in drawings. On the other hand I find it annoying the way the promote it, and the art they use on the box. I mean why not just call it a "skin-tone" pack or something along the lines of that? Either way, it's just funny to look at it. :p

Killercowz
27-08-11, 20:34
http://tosh.comedycentral.com/blog/files/2011/05/7319-1.jpg
Now this deserves it's own thread. :pi:

Funny.

I'm surprised she's not a mix between black and white though :whi:
omgosh that was racist jk lololo

leglion
27-08-11, 20:36
Funny.

An Oreo can also be a black person that doesn't act in the stereotypical way.

Killercowz
27-08-11, 20:39
An Oreo can also be a black person that doesn't act in the stereotypical way.

Lol forget I wrote this post. XD

Ward Dragon
27-08-11, 20:39
Anyway, I don't know, on one hand they could be useful for people who need the colors for skin in drawings. On the other hand I find it annoying the way the promote it, and the art they use on the box. I mean why not just call it a "skin-tone" pack or something along the lines of that? Either way, it's just funny to look at it. :p

I completely agree :) The colors themselves are extremely useful for drawing characters. The box looks a bit silly though because it's trying too hard to be politically correct :p

Funny.

That's not what Oreo means though. It's an insulting term to use for a black person who "acts white" (which I never really understood because I don't think race should determine someone's behavior).

Edit: Nevermind, question got answered while I was typing XD

Horus-Goddess
27-08-11, 20:40
I would've loved to have those as a kid lol! I always had to use weird colors when shading people with different skin tones... not everyone is peach, tan or brown! >_>;

But then my parents bought me real markers with a full scale of colors, and I was covered. Then I found out how awesome colored pencils were and didn't use markers ever since. hahaha!

I could find a lot of things to talk about when it comes to artistic materials... but that's because I'm an artist lol. I don't dare walk into art supply shops anymore, I would buy everything I saw. And I've already got a huge stack of sketchbooks I haven't even touched yet... It's like a bad addiction, I swear. -_-

sierra xb
27-08-11, 20:43
I mean why not just call it a "skin-tone" pack or something along the lines of that?

I agree with this..i was trying to come up with an alternate label, but this fits very well (guess the PC stuff has to have it's place). I don't have a problem with this idea at all though...I don't see people in terms of "race" because I think the concept is stupid...we are all people, so who cares what shade of brown your skin is. I also don't really think that "multi-cultural" fits all that well either, because in many cases "culture" isn't really about skin tone, but rather about the way you live.

Rai
27-08-11, 20:56
Um, ok...and what's wrong with it :confused:

I'm with Lukass on this one. Though I do see Carbonek's point, why not name them 'skin-tone'. I can see how this would be useful for artists, it makes it easier than much mixing colours around. So to answer the OP, yes, I think maybe it is needed.

Spong
27-08-11, 20:56
I don't see what's wrong with the term 'multicultural'. To shy away from that word, to say it should be called something else, is kind of exacerbating the very taboo we're trying to rid ourselves of isn't it?

Ward Dragon
27-08-11, 21:00
I don't see what's wrong with the term 'multicultural'. To shy away from that word, to say it should be called something else, is kind of exacerbating the very taboo we're trying to rid ourselves of isn't it?

But culture does not mean race. Culture is the social background and traditions of a group of people. Race is their physiological genetic background. The crayons are different colors to reflect different skin-tones, so the crayons are multi-racial or multi-skin tone.

Spong
27-08-11, 21:03
It all points to the same thing. Fair enough, technically it should be 'multiracial', but having 'multicultural' is still better than backing down altogether just having it say something 'skin tone' or 'flesh tone'.

lance6439
27-08-11, 21:05
Its kinda so awkward. Just the colors and the children.
Trying to make a difference when it kinda..messes up .. IDK :o
It also reminded me of this incident. :rolleyes:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_6NhRz-k77qI/TPt604QuOpI/AAAAAAAACuU/Wd82NZEDWtY/s400/ht_wal_mart_barbie_100308_mnBarbie.jpg

Underhoe
27-08-11, 21:07

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_6NhRz-k77qI/TPt604QuOpI/AAAAAAAACuU/Wd82NZEDWtY/s400/ht_wal_mart_barbie_100308_mnBarbie.jpg

Now that's awkward, not these markers.

Ward Dragon
27-08-11, 21:27
It all points to the same thing. Fair enough, technically it should be 'multiracial', but having 'multicultural' is still better than backing down altogether just having it say something 'skin tone' or 'flesh tone'.

I don't see it as backing down though. I see putting "Flesh tones" or something similar as being more accurate because that's what the crayons really are.

Putting "multicultural" when the crayons have nothing to do with culture is what seems like political correctness to me, like they were too afraid to mention race or skin color so they backed down and put "multicultural" instead.

Catracoth
27-08-11, 21:29
You're honestly coming off as a troll and it's not a good look on you Mason.

Not really.
Pardon me for stating my thought on the subject.
God forbid.

robm_2007
27-08-11, 21:31
At first I thought it was funny, but it does make sense if you are going to be drawing people, and would like a variety of colors to choose from, that would make their skin tone look more inline with what the character is supposed to be.

Super Badnik
27-08-11, 21:41

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_6NhRz-k77qI/TPt604QuOpI/AAAAAAAACuU/Wd82NZEDWtY/s400/ht_wal_mart_barbie_100308_mnBarbie.jpgOh dear... :o

Ward Dragon
27-08-11, 21:44
Oh dear... :o

Supply and demand -- I bet a lot more little girls want the doll with the pink dress :p

Catracoth
27-08-11, 22:07

:vlol:
I can't breathe.

lance6439
27-08-11, 22:08
Supply and demand -- I bet a lot more little girls want the doll with the pink dress :p

Green would of been better.

Ward Dragon
27-08-11, 22:18
Green would of been better.

Absolutely. I love green ^_^

lance6439
27-08-11, 22:20
Absolutely. I love green ^_^

:D
http://ny-image3.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.246143599.jpg

... well ... i guess you can lock the thread..? XD :)

Ward Dragon
27-08-11, 22:22
:D
http://ny-image3.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.246143599.jpg

Nice :D

... well ... i guess you can lock the thread..? XD :)

Alright :)