PDA

View Full Version : Requesting Deleting~Hiding Visitor Messages

Saman
28-08-11, 16:27
Hello Guys!

I'm actually asking to our members and of course moderators of forum, may its a poll or kind of request (for new function in our profile). Just is I've seen some of our members closed Visitor Messages due to the problems (offensive or annoyed visitor messages).

Please do not spam this thread (your'e rolling my point), and however the last decision is by moderators of forum, not us.

@mods: Please don't close this topic until its necessary, wait for what happened and what our members want, thank you all!

~~~~~~~~~

Do you want to admin a Delete and Hide button for your visitors messages on your profile?

Please pick up one of these options, and explain a little.

1- Yes
2- No
3- Don't care

~~~~~~~~~

I've choose Yes, however I do like to Delete or Hide some of my visitor messages.

Phlip
28-08-11, 16:28
I would like this option as well. One which shows to other members that it's been hidden. :o

(An edit function for social groups would be amazing, too. :pi:)

sheepman23
28-08-11, 16:29
Yes. :tmb: The feature would be very useful - there have been visitor messages in the past that I'd like to have deleted, but can't. :(

xXhayleyroxXx
28-08-11, 16:29
If you want it hidden, isn't that what PM's are for? :o

sheepman23
28-08-11, 16:30

Not unless someone visitor messages you... then you can't delete it. :whi:

Saman
28-08-11, 16:32
I would like this option as well. One which shows to other members that it's been hidden. :o

(An edit function for social groups would be amazing, too. :pi:)

Good point Phlip, thanks for remind me, No Edit option available on groups comment too. But honestly not necessary, no one even leave comment on there, some groups aren't active so much as I've seen.

the ancient
28-08-11, 16:33

I think it is more of a 'I don't like what you posted so I want it gone' situation.
:p

xXhayleyroxXx
28-08-11, 16:42
Not unless someone visitor messages you... then you can't delete it. :whi:

I think it is more of a 'I don't like what you posted so I want it gone' situation.
:p

Ah, true true. Point taken :p

Saman
28-08-11, 16:48
Ah, true true. Point taken :p

Also you dont want to show the VM to public, only you and sender will be see it.

Well, you do like add these function to your profile?

Rai
28-08-11, 16:50
So what you're saying is, that instead/as well as the ability to close your Visitor Messages altogether, you'd like to hide or delete specific messages? Not a bad idea.

xXhayleyroxXx
28-08-11, 16:53
Also you dont want to show the VM to public, only you and sender will be see it.

Well, you do like add these function to your profile?

Personally, I'm fine with what we have. I have my profile set so only friends and mods can vm me, and people I don't want contact from in my ignore list. If me and a friend have an argument, we edit out anything which could potentially be harmful if seen once we've calmed down :p

Rosaly
28-08-11, 17:02
YES! It would be so so good if there was an option like that. But personally I don't think that this is going to happen, and the moderators won't add that option, that's just a suppose maybe it will. And I'll be happy if that really happen in future. :)

the ancient
28-08-11, 17:06
Sorry to go a little Off-topic

But what happens if you add someone to your ignore list?

xXhayleyroxXx
28-08-11, 17:08
Sorry to go a little Off-topic

But what happens if you add someone to your ignore list?

You can't see their messages unless you click a button and they can't contact you xxxx

the ancient
28-08-11, 17:09
You can't see their messages unless you click a button and they can't contact you xxxx

Even if they post in a thread?

Rai
28-08-11, 17:41
Even if they post in a thread?

If someone is on your ignore list, you won't see what they've posted.

the ancient
28-08-11, 17:43
If someone is on your ignore list, you won't see what they've posted.

Oh, I see.

Thanks you 2 for explaining.

sierra xb
28-08-11, 21:43
so far I have never gotten a bad visitor message, but I would love to have the ability to selectively delete certain messages if I felt the need to do so..I always like having options.

lance6439
28-08-11, 21:44
Hell YES!

robm_2007
28-08-11, 21:45
I thought that you could already hide your VMs? Unless you dont want anyone to read them, including ppl on your friends' list.

But a delete function would be good.

Saman
28-08-11, 21:54
So what you're saying is, that instead/as well as the ability to close your Visitor Messages altogether, you'd like to hide or delete specific messages? Not a bad idea.

Some thing like that Rai :)

Personally, I'm fine with what we have. I have my profile set so only friends and mods can vm me, and people I don't want contact from in my ignore list. If me and a friend have an argument, we edit out anything which could potentially be harmful if seen once we've calmed down :p

Yes, heyley!

I got your point :)

YES! It would be so so good if there was an option like that. But personally I don't think that this is going to happen, and the moderators won't add that option, that's just a suppose maybe it will. And I'll be happy if that really happen in future. :)

so far I have never gotten a bad visitor message, but I would love to have the ability to selectively delete certain messages if I felt the need to do so..I always like having options.

Rosaly! Seirra! Thanks for your support, I have to say: I've seen this function on other forums too, which way is very useful!

I thought that you could already hide your VMs? Unless you dont want anyone to read them, including ppl on your friends' list.

But a delete function would be good.

No we can't hide VM, thank you for replay.

I hope moderators do some attention too :)

shebj
30-08-11, 08:43
I do not really care about it since if there are things that are private or so ; I'll just pm. But I would choose a delete button; so if someone leaves an offending message; or spam or so; then you can at least get rid of it

EscondeR
30-08-11, 08:57
Why not simply report offending VMs and they'll be deleted?

What wonders me, folks, is that sometimes you abuse the reporting function - report what actually qualifies as violation not, but sometimes you prefer to ignore its existence, when it's rather to be used :confused:

Lukass
30-08-11, 09:00
^ Well, why to report some VMs when it would be a lot easier to delete them? I had to disable my VM's because of some rude idiots.

shebj
30-08-11, 09:01
Why not simply report offending VMs and they'll be deleted?

What wonders me, folks, is that sometimes you abuse the reporting function - report what actually qualifies as violation not, but sometimes you prefer to ignore its existence, when it's rather to be used :confused:

It's not about only the offending VM's ; sometimes you just don't like a message, because it's stupid or so; and then you can't just report it ; because it's actually not a violation or so; a delete button comes in handy than (or then)

Lukass
30-08-11, 09:02
It's not about only the offending VM's ; sometimes you just don't like a message, because it's stupid or so; and then you can't just report it ; because it's actually not a violation or so; a delete button comes in handy than (or then)

:tmb: Agreed. And everyone can have different opinion of what's rude and what's not.

EscondeR
30-08-11, 09:05
^ Well, why to report some VMs when it would be a lot easier to delete them? I had to disable my VM's because of some rude idiots.
The way I suggest those idiots get payback ;)

Same thing, press report button and ask to delete it stating your reason - it's your profile, if the message is not actually violative, but still irks you much, we can remove it (w/o any consequences to the sender). The easier way is to limit VMs to your Contacts and Friends, thus you won't have irritating VMs... you can hardly have someone who annoys you as a friend (or will remove them if necessary) :)

shebj
30-08-11, 09:15
Same thing, press report button and ask to delete it stating your reason - it's your profile, if the message is not actually violative, but still irks you much, we can remove it (w/o any consequences to the sender). The easier way is to limit VMs to your Contacts and Friends, thus you won't have irritating VMs... you can hardly have someone who annoys you as a friend (or will remove them if necessary) :)

but that way; if everyone was going to ask you moderators to delete something; wouldn't you guys get a lot more work? you might get harassed for even the stupidest things to delete? and that would make it less fun for you guys to be around.

So basically we just want to help you guys ; if everyone had it's own delete button; that would make it simpler. or not?

EscondeR
30-08-11, 09:20
but that way; if everyone was going to ask you moderators to delete something; wouldn't you guys get a lot more work? you might get harassed for even the stupidest things to delete? and that would make it less fun for you guys to be around.

Frankly speaking we're not bothered very often with this type of queries ATM, when things are just like I describe :) People in general behave, God bless them :D Those who don't, get their kicks...

My point is simple: How many functions of actual TRF software do you use daily? :mis:
The more you demand, the more expensive and clumsy the engine gets (Please don't advertise phpBB/ipBB/etc here :mis: They are full of own flaws). The more time necessary for you to get the software update ;)
And the main thing... If it's not broken, why bother fixing it :p

Saman
30-08-11, 09:24
First thank you EscondeR for your replay :)

I see your point EscondeR, but what actually it is, I do like have Delete and Hide buttons, in that case I don't need contact moderators at first (it's long way, first report, second ask to delete, third is wait for it), mentioned you couldn't contact some of mods because they profile is sett it PRIVATE, only their friends and contacts I guess.

Also I think better to be visitor messages stay on the Public, maybe some one else want it to send a quick message, of course people are free to customize their profile, respected.

I think most of members like to have it, I don't know if its even possible, but please think about it dear moderators.

Thanks again guys :)

shebj
30-08-11, 09:25
Frankly speaking we're not bothered very often with this type of queries ATM, when things are just like I describe :) People in general behave, God bless them :D Those who don't, get their kicks...

My point is simple: How many functions of actual TRF software do you use daily? :mis:
The more you demand, the more expensive and clumsy the engine gets (Please don't advertise phpBB/ipBB/etc here :mis: They are full of own flaws). The more time necessary for you to get the software update ;)

that's a fact; except for the actual forum threads and the avatar changing thing I'm not using anything else

Saman
30-08-11, 09:36

I see, thanks (:

I know its lot of work you moderators doing for us, thanks for that and however the last decision is by you guys, not us, totally respected it. :)

About forum updates, honestly I don't like 4.x.x version of VB forum, this 3 version are so simple and great, good enough for me, that's my opinion.

TRfan23
30-08-11, 09:37
Yeh I would like the option to delete my own VM's so I could make it more tidier, but for me that's not a main issue.

My main issue is that I'd prefer it if I could delete my own forum posts, the main reason for that is because of Googlebot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Googlebot).
Most of the time however I just edit them as Request Deletion. whether a mod comes across them and deletes them or not is up to them. That however is an issue to do in Locked Threads, hence why I'd like it if you could edit your own posts in Locked Threads.
Of course this problem of mine doesn't usually extend to MGC, as Googlebots don't have access to posts there XD

Also afaik only Super Mods & Admins can delete VM's, and Admins can only delete Social Group Messages ;)

I prefer not to use the Report Button as a way of requesting any of my posts to be deleted, they may end up finding that they have over 100 Unread E-Mails :p

EscondeR
30-08-11, 09:42
About forum updates, honestly I don't like 4.x.x version of VB forum, this 3 version are so simple and great, good enough for me, that's my opinion.

Well, if Justin gets enough time to configure and customize it - it'll be at least fairly bearable for 3.x.x fans :D, if not hardly different. Fortunately vB is customizable.

Saman
30-08-11, 11:02
Well, if Justin gets enough time to configure and customize it - it'll be at least fairly bearable for 3.x.x fans :D, if not hardly different. Fortunately vB is customizable.

Oh!

Thanks to Justin than! Hopefully accustom quickly to new 4.x.x version :D

@TRfan23

That's the good point too, but I honestly I really don't need a Delete button (or Request Deletion) for my posts.

Rosaly
31-08-11, 07:15
It would be also nice if we could control everything about our messages, even all of us to delete they're posts (if we want), it's not good that this forum has not enabled the "delete" button for vms and posts :/

jackles
31-08-11, 16:36
It makes no difference if you can pm us or not....if something is reported it triggers an email to either the mods or in the case of VM's supermods. The only thing which is important is specifiying exactly which vm you want deleted!

Personally I keep my vm's as friends only.

TRfan23
31-08-11, 18:30
It makes no difference if you can pm us or not....if something is reported it triggers an email to either the mods or in the case of VM's supermods. The only thing which is important is specifiying exactly which vm you want deleted!

Personally I keep my vm's as friends only.

Are you saying that when you report a Post/VM it doesn't actually tag the specific Post/VM in the report?

EscondeR
31-08-11, 18:33
^ The posts are linked in the report, I guess VMs must be as well :)

jackles
31-08-11, 18:36
It does with the posts in threads. With Vm's it links to the vm page, now usually it is obvious what people want deleted....but not always.

EscondeR
31-08-11, 18:38
Hmmm... Will keep that in mind, thanks.

Killercowz
31-08-11, 18:39
Hell yeah.

Rosaly
31-08-11, 18:40
well..I don't think that the Report key helps here. It doesn't delete the message :/ we need DELETE or at least HIDE button instead of report

jackles
31-08-11, 18:44
Well if someone reports...we delete for you.

Plus it can help let us know if someone is behaving in an offensive way. If you just deleted offensive posts and someone is behaving in a way that is against t&C then how will we have the evidence to back it up?

EscondeR
31-08-11, 18:46
Plus it can help let us know if someone is behaving in an offensive way. If you just deleted offensive posts and someone is behaving in a way that is against t&C then how will we have the evidence to back it up?
Eggsactly...
The way I suggest those idiots get payback ;)

lance6439
31-08-11, 18:48
you guys can instantly check VM's O_O

EscondeR
31-08-11, 18:57
^ VMs, not PMs :wve:

Avalon SARL
31-08-11, 19:01
Well, I would go with the mods.
Insulting visitor messages should be reported and it wll be easier for mods to make their judgements :)

TRfan23
31-08-11, 19:25
Request Deletion.

Saman
01-09-11, 09:54
Well, you guys saying it: We have to be using "Report" button instead of possibility "Delete" button?!

What if I want to delete some specify messages? Even they aren't offensive or rude.

EscondeR
01-09-11, 10:00
What if I want to delete some specify messages? Even they aren't offensive or rude.

Report and write your reason... you must have some anyway, don't you :)

Lukass
01-09-11, 10:07
Report and write your reason... you must have some anyway, don't you :)

Yes, but we are competent enough to do it by ourselves and we would like to decide if we want to delete the message or not. Honestly, if I were a mod and I had to solve like 100 reports per day, my head would explode :p Let us decide as we want and you'll have less work to do. You all mods should be pleased for such option ;) We are so generous :D

Saman
01-09-11, 11:47
Yes, but we are competent enough to do it by ourselves and we would like to decide if we want to delete the message or not. Honestly, if I were a mod and I had to solve like 100 reports per day, my head would explode :p Let us decide as we want and you'll have less work to do. You all mods should be pleased for such option ;) We are so generous :D

Agreed with Lukass, but I don't want to delete over 100 vm, it's just I prefer do it by myself, there's no need to contact moderators until if it really was necessary imo.

And Lukass! Your right! We're great! :yah:

Admles
01-09-11, 12:04
lol this thread is almost as silly as that one requesting notifications when someone quotes your post

Lukass
01-09-11, 12:15
there's no need to contact moderators until if it really was necessary imo.

Exactly this!

EscondeR
01-09-11, 12:54
lol this thread is almost as silly as that one requesting notifications when someone quotes your post

This :vlol: And then someone will complain Big Brothers and Sisters (mods) are watching them...

D.D.333
01-09-11, 13:05
Yes, I think it would be cool if you could delete them, I also think it would be better if we could delete our accounts too.

laralives
01-09-11, 13:32

I actually think this is a good feature to have... :o