PDA

View Full Version : A 10-Year-Old Divorcée

Lara Croft!
30-08-11, 16:46
http://babyboomeradvisorclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/ali.jpg

Nujood Ali is just 10 years old — and was, until recently, the youngest known divorced person in the world.

Ali made headlines in Yemen last April when she walked out on a man more than three times her age, to whom her father had married her off. It was an act driven by terror and despair.

Nujood's ordeal began last February, when the family gathered to celebrate her wedding to a motorcycle deliveryman in his 30s. She first set eyes on the groom when she took her marriage vows. After spending her wedding night with her parents and 15 brothers and sisters, Nujood was taken by her new husband to his family village, where, she says, he beat and raped her every night. After two nightmarish months he allowed her to visit her parents, who rebuffed her pleas to end the marriage.
Nujood finally found her moment to escape one day, when her mother gave her a few pennies and sent her out to buy bread. Instead she took a bus to the center of the capital, Sanaa — a city of 3 million people — where she hailed a taxi and asked to be taken to the courthouse. She had never been inside a courtroom but had once seen one on television, she says, and knew it was a place where people went for help. There she sat silently on a bench, uncertain as to what to do, while crowds of people scurried past, scarcely glancing at the quiet child. It was only once the courthouse emptied during the lunch recess that the judge noticed her and asked why she was there. "I came for a divorce," she told him. Horrified, he took her to his house to play with his 8-year-old daughter, and granted the divorce two days later.

Full article http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1876652,00.html#ixzz1WX06hPXA

A story with a happy ending and a great example for women's rights all over the world.

xXhayleyroxXx
30-08-11, 16:47
God, that sounds awful :( I'm glad she's out of it. Poor little thing :(

TheRCroft
30-08-11, 16:49
Oh my, that's horrible, poor girl :( I'm glad it all ended well.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
30-08-11, 16:51
This happens all over the Middle East. It's pretty common actually.

leglion
30-08-11, 16:51
Something tells me she was beat to a bloody pulp once she returned home...

Weemanply109
30-08-11, 16:52
It's common but sad.

interstellardave
30-08-11, 17:41
The words of her father and other relatives are plain bull****. Yeah, right, they wanted to "protect her" from violence on the streets... why can't they do that themselves as she lives home with them? We're expected to believe they didn't know what that man wanted--and quickly got--from that young girl? They didn't know how he treated her? They clearly knew, and had no intention of stopping it. So brave of her to do what she did on her own.