PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Live question

Summer B
04-09-11, 17:09
Hey, I was just wondering whether anyone else here has recieved a message from someone with the Gamertag "Stepto Enforcer" saying theyve been banned from Xbox Live for violations of the XBL code of conduct?

I havnt used Live for awhile so didnt notice the message until today, and I have no idea what "codes" Im supposed to have violated - is this message for real, or is it some troll, well, trolling? Wouldnt a message about a ban come from XBL itself!? :confused:

xXhayleyroxXx
04-09-11, 17:34
Have you tried to actually go on LIVE? If you can get on, they're clearly a troll.

EDIT: Also, wouldn't it say exactly what you supposedly did wrong?

SkyPuppy
04-09-11, 17:46
it's a troll; just ignore it.

Summer B
04-09-11, 17:48
The ban was supposedly from 11/8 to 26/8, so Id be able to get on now anyway. Plus Ive got no idea if a ban message would tell you what you did, Ive never got one before.

it's a troll; just ignore it.

OK... well, Ive just contacted XBL to ask about it anyway, so they should be able to tell me.

Ward Dragon
04-09-11, 17:55
That sounds very suspicious. Don't click any links in the message or give that person any details about your account. I'm sure that Microsoft would have sent you an e-mail about it if it was for real.

Summer B
04-09-11, 18:00
That sounds very suspicious. Don't click any links in the message or give that person any details about your account. I'm sure that Microsoft would have sent you an e-mail about it if it was for real.
OK, cool, thanks for the advice! There is actually a link in the message to a site called stepto.com but I didn't go there.

Ward Dragon
04-09-11, 18:03
OK, cool, thanks for the advice! There is actually a link in the message to a site called stepto.com but I didn't go there.

Good thinking, avoiding the link :)

In general, never sign into a site from a link in an e-mail or message. Always go to the site's main page and sign in from there (assuming it's a site you did join, like Xbox Live). A lot of the time, people will send an e-mail like what you got, claiming there's trouble with the account, and try to trick you into signing into a fake site so that they get your user name and password and can then steal your account. That's true of everything, not just Xbox Live.

larson n natla
04-09-11, 18:04
Sounds suspicious, you were right to avoid the link.

Poke Warrior
04-09-11, 18:04
Xbox will always contact you via email or phone if need be, never by Xbox Live messages :)

Summer B
04-09-11, 18:18
Good thinking, avoiding the link :)

In general, never sign into a site from a link in an e-mail or message. Always go to the site's main page and sign in from there (assuming it's a site you did join, like Xbox Live). A lot of the time, people will send an e-mail like what you got, claiming there's trouble with the account, and try to trick you into signing into a fake site so that they get your user name and password and can then steal your account. That's true of everything, not just Xbox Live.
Yeah, theyve told us that in IT class at school, which is why I didnt click on the link. Who said you dont learn stuff in school, huh!? lol :)

Summer B
05-09-11, 15:18
Wow - the people at Xbox Support are useless, they for some reason cant answer my question about whether the ban message was real or not, and have directed me to a public Xbox Forum to ask about it, I guess they dont understand the meaning of the word privacy.

Asked about it on that forum... so far no reply, the message hasnt even gone up yet. :mad: From the look of other posts on there a lot of people have been getting banned for no obvious reason, and werent informed about it by XBL directly, so its looking like the message I got might just be legit.

Summer B
06-09-11, 07:56
Oh FFS, is the Xbox site down for anyone else?
Im beginning to think the a-holes have it in for me! :mad:

H4RR7H
06-09-11, 08:05
Need to do some research folks :p

Stephen "Stepto" Tolouse is currently an authorised Xbox Live Moderator, being the Director of Policy and Enforcement for the service. He also wrote this book (http://www.amazon.com/A-Microsoft-Life-ebook/dp/B004J8HQTC) ;)

This is how Microsoft have resorted to banning people on the underground who are violating their terms of use; by hiring staff that are actually casual gamers themselves.

My advise is that you don't post on their public complaint forum, as your reply will only be publicised in the use of warning other analogous perpetrators. They will also do their best to make you look like an idiot :rolleyes: (This thread (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=183590) may offer some enlightenment, if the more observant ones of you all haven't already seen it :wve:)

Here's a Q for you: Do you play Call of Duty?

Summer B
06-09-11, 08:13
Stepto is an authorised Xbox Live Moderator. This is how Microsoft have resorted to banning people on the underground violating their terms of use (by hiring other gamers).

My advise is that you don't post on their public complaint forum, as your reply will only be publicised in the use of warning other analogous perpetrators.

Here's a Q for you: Do you play Call of Duty?

No, I don't even own a copy of CoD.

H4RR7H
06-09-11, 08:16
Ok, COD may be irrelevant (just that playing willingly or unknowningly in modded games is normally a most common factor).

Do you have a sibling? A friend who may have used your account?

Even possibly slightly offensive language in any part of your gamertag or motto?

Summer B
06-09-11, 08:27
I have siblings who've played games on the Xbox, yes, but they've never played online.

I've looked at the CoC thing and it says you can get banned for taking advantage of glitches in games - well, I read about one on DA:II where you could get 'infinite' amounts of money/XP by pressing the intereact button repeatedly, and I confess I did it with one character and maxed it out, could it be that I was banned for? Seems a bit harsh if so, cuz how would that affect anyone other than me?

Im just stumped as to why I was banned... Since that guy is legit though, I might email him directly like it said to in the message, cuz if I dont know what I did wrong theres a chance I might do it again without realising.

H4RR7H
06-09-11, 08:30
That'll do it (given you were online at the time or this information was dsplayed on leaderboards etc, I have not played Dragon Age II and am not sure of it's online mechanics).

It does violate the terms of use (http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/legal/livetou), clearly:

You Must Not:

Use or distribute unauthorized cheats, macros, or scripts...
Exploit a bug, or make an unauthorized modification, to any software or data to gain unfair advantage in a game, contest, or promotion.

In that case there's still not much you can do when the terms and stipulations you signed up to on creating an account were violated.
Seriously, unless you really don't know what might have got you banned, I wouldn't bother contacting him; I'd sit out the ban period :tmb:

Ward Dragon
06-09-11, 23:11
Hmm, my opinion of Microsoft just dropped down a bit. They ban people from Xbox Live without saying why, give a link to a personal site that looks like a phishing attempt, and to top it all off the bannable offense was probably using a glitch in a single-player game? That's pretty messed up if that's what happened.

Summer B
07-09-11, 14:24
My opinion of XBL is still going down - XBL Support are still being completely unhelpful, my question on the XBL forum still hasnt gone up or been answered, and the person who supposedly banned me still hasnt replied to my request for info on why I was banned exactly - and the request was very polite btw.

Lara's Nemesis
07-09-11, 14:47
I've looked at the CoC thing and it says you can get banned for taking advantage of glitches in games - well, I read about one on DA:II where you could get 'infinite' amounts of money/XP by pressing the intereact button repeatedly, and I confess I did it with one character and maxed it out, could it be that I was banned for? Seems a bit harsh if so, cuz how would that affect anyone other than me?

Someone else asked that question on Gamespot.

http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/dragon-age-2/show_msgs.php?pid=988966&topic_id=m-1-58430447

I doubt very much whether you would get banned from Xbox Live for that.

Summer B
07-09-11, 14:52
Someone else asked that question on Gamespot.

http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/dragon-age-2/show_msgs.php?pid=988966&topic_id=m-1-58430447

I doubt very much whether you would get banned from Xbox Live for that.
Well, if its not for that, I have no idea what the ban is for, as Ive not knowingly done anything else wrong, so it has to be something Ive done without realising at the time that it was wrong - which is why I need more info really.

Im totally clueless about this...

Zelda master
07-09-11, 16:01
Give Microsoft a call, they should be able to awnser the question :)

Summer B
07-09-11, 16:07
Give Microsoft a call, they should be able to awnser the question :)
Very funny.

H4RR7H
07-09-11, 22:02
It will be even funnier watching the answer to your forum post, I'm sure :p

Or who knows? Maybe you'll be the first to actually legitimately get your account back, unscathed :tmb:

Srsly though, good luck :)

But in the experience of these things, there's something else that you have been banned for, surely, but you've forgotten. And to have completely forgotten it, you must have not known it was against the T&C in the first place at all.

:whi: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWNja7skJ2Q#t=0m30s)

IMO, Dragon Age thing, two options above, or you should interrogate your siblings ;)

Spong
07-09-11, 22:06
Get her account back unscathed? :confused:
According to Summer, she was banned from August 11th to August 26th, so she should already have her XBL access restored.

Summer B
07-09-11, 23:07
Get her account back unscathed? :confused:
According to Summer, she was banned from August 11th to August 26th, so she should already have her XBL access restored.
I do have it back, I'm just trying to find out why I was banned so I don't make the same mistake in future.

Spong
07-09-11, 23:10
I'd guess that it's because of that DAII glitch you took advantage of. But I don't know anything about the game, so I don't know how that would effect any online aspect, if there's even any online aspects to DAII anyway. Is there online stuff where you might have used that maxed out character you mentioned?

H4RR7H
07-09-11, 23:26
Apologies, I was under the impression you were still banned. Am blind :o

It will be interesting to find out what the reason was :tmb:

Summer B
08-09-11, 00:26
I'd guess that it's because of that DAII glitch you took advantage of. But I don't know anything about the game, so I don't know how that would effect any online aspect, if there's even any online aspects to DAII anyway. Is there online stuff where you might have used that maxed out character you mentioned?
Not in terms of gameplay, no, there's no multiplayer option anyway. The only thing you can do online with it that I'm aware of is to download add-ons like equipment and extra levels through the marketplace.

Spong
08-09-11, 00:28
Are there any kind of leaderboards with DAII or anything involving the uploading of stats?

Summer B
08-09-11, 00:34
Are there any kind of leaderboards with DAII or anything involving the uploading of stats?
You can register your profile on the DA website, or Bioware website, but I dont know if it tracks your games, or if theres any kind of leaderboard.

Spong
08-09-11, 00:39
If no kind of online play or uploading of stats are involved, I can't really see how the ban would relate to your DAII shenanigans, although what you did would violate the ToU in a typical online game. Maybe you should look into what details are kept at the DA/Bioware website?

It's all very curious really.

Summer B
09-09-11, 14:38
Still no repley either on the forum or from the person who issued the ban - Im starting to get seriously fed up now. Anyone know how to file a complaint with XBL about its unhelpful employees?

Summer B
10-09-11, 16:04
OK, finally got a reply from Stepto Enforcer, and it just says:-

"Sorry for your inconvenience further analysis of your account proves inadequate to a ban"

Lovely, huh!?

larson n natla
10-09-11, 16:18
OK, finally got a reply from Stepto Enforcer, and it just says:-

"Sorry for your inconvenience further analysis of your account proves inadequate to a ban"

Lovely, huh!?

Good for you! :tmb:

Summer B
10-09-11, 18:49
Good for you! :tmb:
Well, yeah, but they still didnt tell me why I was banned, or if well get compensated for the two weeks we lost on a Gold subscription.

larson n natla
10-09-11, 19:35
Well, yeah, but they still didnt tell me why I was banned, or if well get compensated for the two weeks we lost on a Gold subscription.

I'd say give up on that idea, they won't compensate you unless you complain and if you complain they'll likely find a reason to go through with the initial ban and re-issue it.

Dingaling
10-09-11, 22:44
Oh no no, definitely bring it to a higher up and get the reason why it was originally banned. You've lost two weeks of your subscription you should be compensated for that (and more than likely they'll give you at least a month back).