PDA

View Full Version : Scariest places of the Tomb Raider series?

sheepman23
05-09-11, 17:23
Hey all, :wve:

What levels/places of the TR series did you think were the scariest, in terms of atmosphere, enemies, lighting, etc?

Although there are many of them, (and I'll probably list more of them as the thread goes on ;)), I would have to say The Floating Islands is right there are the top of my list. Stepping out onto that island at the beginning of the level is one of the most incredible moments of the series, where the feeling of this magical land completely sets in. The floating figures that rise into the sky send shivers down my spine, and looking out at the dark horizon, knowing that you're in some completely different dimension/world/whatever :p is just spooky beyond belief.

Honorable mentions go to:
- The spider cave of Temple of Xian (obviously)
- That dreadful little changeling that chases you around in Gallows Tree :eek:
- The steamy walkway of RX Tech Mines, where the mutated men come out, the flickering lights are absolutely perfect
- The floating bodies in It's a Madhouse! and Reunion always manage to send shivers down my spine :o

cezy rockeru
05-09-11, 17:25
Croft Manor. D:

Seth94
05-09-11, 17:27
- The spider cave
- Floating Islands, (the background audio especially)
- Yeti area in Catacombs of the Talion

the ancient
05-09-11, 17:27
Mexico - TRU

For the rest I wasn't really scared

[Xmas]
05-09-11, 17:30
Croft Manor. D:Exactly :vlol:

Winston from TR3 gives me the creeps :(

DgoOdz94
05-09-11, 17:30
From what I played:

TR1 - Atlantis/The Great Pyramid: The flashy pulsating walls, just creeped the hell out of me.
TR2 - Temple of Xian: That spider cave was just scary because I kept like waiting for the big bulb in the middle to explode and million spiders to come at me.
TR3 - Lost City of Tinnos - The giant mutantslurking around scared me everytime they popped out of nowhere. -__-
AOD - The Hall of Seasons/The Lost Domain - IDK, there was something in the atmosphere of these levels that just made my spine tingle. :(

sheepman23
05-09-11, 17:33
- Yeti area in Catacombs of the Talion

I knew there was another place from TR2 I was forgetting, that yeti cage room has such an incredible effect on you with the monsters behind the cages, the darkness, and that music track that plays.

I need to find a Youtube video of that music...

lance6439
05-09-11, 17:34
****ing TR2 Oprah house ... OMG so many levels! O_O...Oprah house is my current favorite level though :p ... well i gotta say Area 51 or The Jail in TR3 xD

trfanX34
05-09-11, 17:34
Most of AOD

Seth94
05-09-11, 17:35
I knew there was another place from TR2 I was forgetting, that yeti cage room has such an incredible effect on you with the monsters behind the cages, the darkness, and that music track that plays.

I need to find a Youtube video of that music...

Tomb Raider 2 is in general the scariest TR game lol. :p

Nemo_91
05-09-11, 17:37
TR2 Yeti Room

sheepman23
05-09-11, 17:52
Some of the scariest music tracks:

0jNHc4qiv8k&feature=related

86Mb-5oWFQw&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL937BA601F2C5D6CC

U-dRg7nTbGM

hR9hRpCv3Y0&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLEDFFE0AB133FE5DE

Seth94
05-09-11, 17:55
The background audio in Vault of Trophies as well. :)

sheepman23
05-09-11, 17:56
The background audio in Vault of Trophies as well. :)

Ah yes, that too. There are so many creepy tracks in AoD - the one that plays behind The Sanitarium as well. :eek:

Sir Croft
05-09-11, 18:03
Caves of Kaliya, The Sanitarium, Lost City of Tinnos, 40 Fathoms...

****ing TR2 Oprah house ... OMG so many levels! O_O...Oprah house is my current favorite level though :p ... well i gotta say Area 51 or The Jail in TR3 xD
:pi:

[Xmas]
05-09-11, 18:04
:pi::vlol: :vlol: :vlol:

You didn't know Oprah was the main villian of TR2, not Marco Bartoli? :vlol:

cezy rockeru
05-09-11, 18:05
Oprah house
Oprah house
Oprah house
Oprah

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af45/somethinglikethebest/realoprahmad.gif

lance6439
05-09-11, 18:07
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkc345nYHq1qfy2kdo1_500.gif

[Xmas]
05-09-11, 18:08
http://dp-img.com/2010/11/Paris-Hilton-on-public-works-004.jpg
Ah yes, that too. There are so many creepy tracks in AoD - the one that plays behind The Sanitarium as well. :eek:I actually like that one, quite relaxing :p

matrix54
05-09-11, 18:12
:vlol:

Gian Carlo
05-09-11, 18:14
Croft Manor. D:

DEAD. http://i51.************/zwlsuw.gif

lance6439
05-09-11, 18:14
:vlol:

omg your location!

Lukass
05-09-11, 18:15
@cezy :vlol: !!!

Gabi
05-09-11, 18:15
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/Gabicats/Smilies/spamalert.png

Back on topic, please.

Your_Envy*
05-09-11, 18:17
All TRII levels (except Croft Manor, which isn't exactly a level anyway). UGH. Scariest game ever.

Opera house, underwater, floating islands.. Even the thought of it makes me scream. :p

sheepman23
05-09-11, 18:20
I forgot to mention 40 Fathoms... especially swimming to that ship at the beginning, the entire sea floor is so dark and the sharks are hot on your tail! :yik:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/Gabicats/Smilies/spamalert.png

Back on topic, please.

THANK YOU, I was just about ready to say something similar. :D

Gian Carlo
05-09-11, 18:22
Temple of Xian - TR2, Lost City of Tinnos - TR3, City of the Dead - TR4... The only ones I remember now, but there are many many others..

matrix54
05-09-11, 18:23
omg your location!

To remain on topic, pretty much all of tomb raider 2 when Lara goes underground. It's sort of hard not to be scared. :p

and what about my location lol :p

b.gluch
05-09-11, 18:32
The Sanitarium

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqux52I24t1qfy2kdo1_r3_500.gif

Ora Dagger
05-09-11, 18:44
Atlantis was the most scariest place I've ever encountered in TR. Those little buggers would pop out of nowhere.

....and yes croft manor. This is random, but did anyone else get those random ambient noises when going into croft manor in TR3? Sometimes I would play a level, quit, and go into the manor and whatever background noise was playing, it would play in the manor. Used to scare me:p

Avalon SARL
05-09-11, 18:51
TR2- Catacombs of the Talion- Yeti area; this place is so scary, still freaks metill today

TR1- Rx-tech mines and Egypt; the silence scares me alot

TR5- Gallows Tree

TRl-England: though not really scary,but the atmosphere was nice

TRU- Mexico: also great atmosphere andbackground :)

Jami393
05-09-11, 19:30
Some of the scariest places I thought are:
TR1 - Sanctuary of the Scion and Atlantis, because of the Atlanteans
TR2 - Catacombs of the Tailon abd Ice Palace, because of the Yetis. And The Spider Cave, because of, well, the spiders in the cave.
TR3 - Crash Site, because of the raptors and T-Rex.
None in TR4, TR5, AoD and Legend.
TRA, has got to be the same reason as TR1.
And TRU because of the Spider part in Southern Mexico.

BrandonFlowers
05-09-11, 19:49
The Opera House freaked me out in TR2.
Mexico in TRU aswell, due to all the Thralls popping up and making me scream like a little girl.

Tombraiderx08
05-09-11, 21:42
That spider cave was damn creepy, hate spiders D:

sheepman23
07-09-11, 00:06
That spider cave was damn creepy, hate spiders D:

The spider cave is literally one of the most brilliant ideas in TR history (something that CD should really take a look at :rolleyes:). The use of lighting, the creepy atmosphere, and the spiders dropping in completely random places is just really excellent. It's one of the only places in the series where I actually have to build up courage in order to progress, the fear is that great. :o

_Awestruck_
07-09-11, 00:22
Ireland scared the living **** outta me.

Legend of Lara
07-09-11, 00:39
GoL may have just been silly arcadey fun, but god damn Spider Tomb to hell.

sheepman23
07-09-11, 00:49
Replaying Furnace of the Gods right now... O_O There may not be any frightful enemies, but my goodness - the atmosphere just pulses.

Romantics Inc.
07-09-11, 01:13
Living Quarters. :)

knightgames
07-09-11, 01:21

You've been to Oprah's house? Did you meet Steadman and her dogs? (Just kidding Lance. :cln: But it's opera, in case you want to know.)

Scariest levels? TR1 Atlantis. Those mummies (or what ever they were) were frightening. When the egg chamber hatched mutants I was like, "ZIONKS SHAGGY!!! LET'S GET OUTTA HERE!!!!!"

Killercowz
07-09-11, 01:23
Floating Islands, Living Quarters, basically half of TR4, and Ireland in TR5.

And the scariest had to be The Sanitarium. That place was ****ing scary.

skylark1121
07-09-11, 03:12
The air vents in the Louvre galleries *(aod) always manage to freak me out. D:
:D
A lot of places in AoD are creepy.
-The Sanitarium
-Bouchard's hideout
-The Strahov Fortress
-Eckhardt's lab always scares me because of the skeletons. :o
- La Serpent Rouge
-The Louvre Storm Drains
-Rennes Pawn Shop
- Derilyct Apartment Complex
- Aquatic Research Area
** It really goes on and on lol

TR1 Natla's Mines
TR2 - Home Sweet Home - 48 Fathoms, The Opera House
TR3 - Maximum Containment Unit, Area 52, and Lost City of Tinnos
TR4 - a lot of it! :mad:
TR5 - Ireland, and some Siberia.
Legend - Lara's Flashback in Peru was quite frightful the first time playing... \
Anniversary - Those damn Gorillas in Midas Palace scared me so much the first few times!
Underworld - Xibalba, and the Lizards in Thailand were creepy - but not spine tingling like the rest classics.

TReboot - I'm sure A BUNCH!! :d :D !!

ozzman
07-09-11, 03:24
AOD sanitarium
TR4 ALL i was always afraid to move on, egypt is creepy
TR2 tibet
tr3 nevada levels [not 1st level]
TR3 india's maze
TR5 ireland
TRU Mexico

ChingKong
07-09-11, 03:47
The Sanitarium -_____________-
Floating ISlands, and Tibet. A lot of TR2 scared me. :o

sierra xb
07-09-11, 06:28
Xibalba rooms, Mexico in TRU...creepy spiders always trying to jump on you

shebj
07-09-11, 06:31
the sanitarium... definitely... and the very dark cave tr2 ; the great wall... I used to be really scared to venture in it en to hear the trex footsteps...

peeves
07-09-11, 13:27
I'd say the underwater section of TR2 where the sharks are they scare me. And also where the shark is in TR4.

jajay119
07-09-11, 13:38
TR1: The Democles room in the Folly
TR2: Floating Islands, Home sweet Home.
TR3: Jungle Ruins
TR5: Ireland

I've never been scared by any of the locations in TR1, AOD, Legend, Anniversary or Underworld.

I've never really been scared by any of

klona
07-09-11, 13:41
All Closed places in TR4. (example: Tomb of Seth, Burial Chambers, Khufu's Queen's Pyramid, and the Semerkhet Sections).
The Labyrinth in Ireland is really scary.

GRaider
07-10-11, 00:23
There are many scary places. The Tomb Raider Series was for me scarier than Silent Hill or Resident Evil.

TR 1:
- the crocodile room in Cistern (the second came every time behind Lara)
- the panther alveola

TR 2:
- Winston (It's true:tea:)
- the first T-Rex
- the Thugs and Workers which can hit Lara. They all sound scary and caming out of nowhere
- the dogs they came after drow down the Heli stage in Diving Area
- the first sharks
- the giant moray (Why???)
- the dark Yeti room
- the tiger who appears behind Lara after she pulls the lever in the one dark room in Temple of Xian
- the spider cave (The first time I ran with closed eyes and constantly pushing the Ctrl-Button through this area)
- the statues with the spikes
- the last level, when an dog appears in Lara's bedroom, who never appeared before

TR 3:
- the Shiva statues
- the cobras in Caves of Kaliya (one time I skipped the level because I ran surprisingly in one):(
- High Security Compound without weapons
- the one dog in Aldwych who appears when you gu up the stairs
- the thug who appears in the last secret room and another thug who appeared outside after I selected the secret
- the first subway who kills me
- the dark room with the levers and the raptors and especially the raptor which appears after picking up Lt. Tuckerman's key
- the dog in Antarctica who jumps to Lara in the dark hallway
- the dying mutant (The scariest place ever. I have nightmares after these section.)
- the big mutant in the dark corner above the deep chasm
- the room with the flashlight and the big mutants
- the really big mutant in the area where the second Uli key lies

TR 4
- many jackals, especially in Tomb of Seth, Tomb of Semerkhet and Mastabas
- some skeletons in the Alexandria part, especially one in Palast of Cleopatra

TR Chronicles
- Labyrinth monster

Then came CD and the scary atmossphere was gone.:(

Phlip
07-10-11, 00:48
Floating Islands, The Deck, Ice Palace, Catacombs of the Talion, Atlantis.

The rest of the series fails miserably at scaring me and making the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Like seriously, no games scare me. =/

Encore
07-10-11, 00:49
I agree with Sanitarium, first time I played it, not knowing where the bastards popped up from. And playing as Kurtis only made me feel less comfortable.

But Temple of Xian and its giant spiders get the gold medal. -__-'

sheepman23
07-10-11, 00:56
Well, I'm playing Unfinished Business for the first time now, and I must say that Temple of the Cat is giving me the eebie-jeebies. Those mummies... :eek:

skylark1121
07-10-11, 01:29
-Black Isle TR5
-TR3 Croft Manor (At least until you make it to the meat locker... :mis:)
-TR3 High Security Compound
-TR2 Opera House
-AoD Von Croy's Apartment
-AoD The Strahov Fortress
-AoD The Louvre

patriots88888
07-10-11, 01:31
Sacred Lake... it's a sound effects/affects thing.

Gracious Days
07-10-11, 02:02
-Spider Cave from TR II, that's a given
-The Deck: It's quiet...and dark.
-Lud's Gate underwater portion: A lot of the fear comes from the pure difficulty of the section, but the crocodiles and frogmen creep me out quite a bit.
-RX-Tech Mine's: Of course, the mutants, but the overall ambience.
-Temple of Khamoon: Not exactly scary, but the moans and wails in the background can be spine-tingling.
-Xibalba: Spiders. Spiders. Spiders. :o

TRexbait
07-10-11, 03:00
RX-Tech always scares me. ALWAYS. The atmosphere is amazing in that level. :D

Drone
07-10-11, 04:45
Floating islands.

sierra xb
07-10-11, 05:38
-Xibalba: Spiders. Spiders. Spiders. :o

This...so much :) remember, the shotgun is your friend :p

Nerd For Life
07-10-11, 12:15
Temple of Xian's spider cave
Floating Islands - amazing level but it makes me nervous

sheepman23
07-10-11, 12:39
Floating Islands seems to be a common answer...

*forces Crystal Dynamics to replay the level 10 times* :D

milance941
07-10-11, 12:44
TRU Mexico, hate those panthers and spiders:P

ozzman
07-10-11, 19:13
Sanitarium/Maximum Containment Area - AOD,,, playing through for the second time and it STILL gives me the creeps

Greenapple968
07-10-11, 19:47
The yeti cage in the Catacombs level in TR2 always made me nervous. The yetis would come charging out of the darkness roaring at you :eek:

The giant spiders in Temple of Xian as well ofcourse. The webs also freaked me out.

mepsipax
07-10-11, 21:22
- Floating Islands sends chills up my spine; its so, so eerie and weird. Its like a creepy oriental acid trip...
- Area 51, Aldwych and Lost City if Tinnos are similar; the atmosphere is just so eerie. :)
- The last 2 sections of TRLR are the same again, so creepy and scary. :)
- Ireland in TR5 scares the s** out of me, because its set where I live. :vlol: Its well made to, its very creepy.
- Anniversary - Egypt. The whispering is just otherworldly...

Seth94
07-10-11, 21:25
I also forgot to mention some of the background ambience music of TR4 is quite scary. Especially the one that plays in Tomb of Semerkhet. :)

Poke Warrior
08-10-11, 01:47
The hidden monster around every corner!

patriots88888
08-10-11, 02:09
I also forgot to mention some of the background ambience music of TR4 is quite scary. Especially the one that plays in Tomb of Semerkhet. :)

I was beginning to think I was the only one. Strap on some headphones and crank up the volume while Lara is climbing the pole to reach the chain for the water gate in Sacred Lake and listen for that hissssssing sound. The first time I heard that I was full expecting a giant sea serpent to emerge. Yea, I find the ambient sounds to be much more of a mood setter and scary than anything visual.

sheepman23
08-10-11, 02:34
TR2's ambient sounds are the creepiest for me... especially the Temple of Xian/Floating Islands track. :eek:

Seth94
08-10-11, 11:54
TR2's ambient sounds are the creepiest for me... especially the Temple of Xian/Floating Islands track. :eek:

TR2's audio is quite scary as well, but I think that TR4 probably has the scariest of music tracks. And it has more of them than TR2 as well. :)