PDA

View Full Version : Parents just don't understand

Indiana Croft
08-09-11, 01:02
discuss your relationships with your parents: the good, the bad, and the ugly

larafan25
08-09-11, 01:04
Everything my mom says sounds stupid to me because my life is going through the teenage filter. It's like the survival filter for TOMB RAIDER, but worse.

I can't stand them for no reason.

patriots88888
08-09-11, 01:04
Seeing as they were once kids/teens/young adults themselves, I'm quite sure most of them do. Whether they want to be bothered, well that is another thing all together. I'm probably too old to comment any further than that.

domino92
08-09-11, 01:05
Well my parents expect way too much of me. 75% on a Math test, even though they Im as good at Math as a monkey is at fine dining. Hell, they're even disapointed with 80s.

They're understanding and very liberal, they just don't understand me. My mother is the only family member that knows Im gay, cuz the rest wouldn't understand or wouldn't believe it.

Indiana Croft
08-09-11, 01:07
Seeing as they were once kids/teens/young adults themselves, I'm quite sure most of them do. Whether they want to be bothered, well that is another thing all together. I'm probably too old to comment any further than that.

its the name of song. not my actual opinion lol
"parents just don't understand"

Lukass
08-09-11, 01:07
Before I came to UK I couldn't stand them. Now, after 3 years in England, I can't wait to go home at the end of this year. I realized how much I love them and I have to be with them until they are alive! I will never ever argue with them. Never.

CiaKonwerski
08-09-11, 01:08
My parents...even though they have their flaws, are the best I could ever ask for. I am very grateful to have been born in the family that I am in.

Spong
08-09-11, 01:13
Never spoken to my father, haven't spoken to my mother in about fifteen years. Both may well be dead for all I know. And does that bother me? Not really.

DgoOdz94
08-09-11, 01:16
I have like one of the worst relationships with my Mom. It's one of those of Hi and then Bye. We can be in the same room for hours and not speak to each other the whole time.

Its just... bad. =\

And then she has some huge expectations from me and get's all insulted/undignified when I fail. In my head I'm like, well you fail at some of my expectations too and I don't say crap.

Lukass
08-09-11, 01:16
Never spoken to my father, haven't spoken to my mother in about fifteen years. Both may well be dead for all I know. And does that bother me? Not really.

I probably have no right to comment this, but...

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n409/smoothvibes/smiley/MSN-Emoticon-cry-207.gif

Spong
08-09-11, 01:25
^Save your tears for something more worthy ;)

patriots88888
08-09-11, 01:26
its the name of song. not my actual opinion lol
"parents just don't understand"

Shocking!

Well then consider my reply directed at the song title and not you... except for the too old part, that still stands.

Romantics Inc.
08-09-11, 01:29
My parents are imbeciles. The end.

Spong
08-09-11, 01:30
^Short and to the point, I like your style :tmb::vlol:

Romantics Inc.
08-09-11, 01:31
Damn straight. :p

Killercowz
08-09-11, 01:36
I love my mother and my family. They have their flaws but so does everyone else in the world.

TheRCroft
08-09-11, 01:50
I hate my father, he's the biggest idiot I've ever met. My mother, on the other hand, is the most spectacular person, she's like my idol. She always had to play the role of mother and father and I admire her for her strenght, I love her. She really does expect a lot of me, but I know she's just trying to make me fight, so I can achieve even better results.

Ikas90
08-09-11, 01:55
I have a good relationship with my parents. They understand me and my choices and accept me for who I am, which is partly how they crafted me to be. I've gone off on my own tangents and they've accepted that, albeit with trouble at first.

Shark_Blade
08-09-11, 01:56
I hate my father, he's the biggest idiot I've ever met. My mother, on the other hand, is the most spectacular person, she's like my idol. She always had to play the role of mother and father and I admire her for her strenght, I love her. She really does expect a lot of me, but I know she's just trying to make me fight, so I can achieve even better results.I can relate to this. :hug:

Indiana Croft
08-09-11, 02:16
my father stiffles me identity and doesn't support me enough. it's getting unbarable.
my mother isn't in the picture.

Gracious Days
08-09-11, 02:36
I have amazing relationships with both of my parents. I've always been close to my mother since we're alike in terms of personality.

I speak to and see my father very often, even though he lives halfway across the state. It's surprising he is in my life today at all given his past, so I consider myself lucky. :o

Sgt BOMBULOUS
08-09-11, 03:18
The only thing that bothers me about my parents is that their horribly reckless with money. Other than that I love them dearly. :)

Draco
08-09-11, 07:16
My father was pretty hands off, so I basically taught myself about life.

My mother is irrelevant.

scoopy_loopy
08-09-11, 07:18
Strained.

sandygrimm
08-09-11, 07:35
Parents will never understand, neither will we our kids :pi:

shebj
08-09-11, 07:59
I had the most amazing parents ever. to bad I didn't realise it at the time.
where they have tried to be the best parents they could have been I never tried to be the best daughter I should have been. My teenage years were pretty ****ed up; I hated my mother ; thought that everything she did was to make my life miserable. So I left home when I was 17. after that I still spoke to them from time to time ; but in my eyes they were still way to controlling; and now I haven't spoke to them for a year and a half now; to many things have happened; but since I have my son I actually have to admit I finally understand my mum for everything she did ; because I just want the same for my son; I want him to have a degree later; I want him to have a good job later. I want him to look neat when I take him outside with me, etc. I will just handle it differently then they did 'cause they just didn't realise how it alienated me from them. and I know they are very hurt by the fact that I don't see them anymore.

jarekhanzelka
08-09-11, 08:11
My father, well...I didn't realise how much he means to me until he passed away when I was 16. My mother I always loved and now love even more, because she just keeps showing me just how strong a human being can really be, through which she motivates me to be who I am and to constantly improve on myself. As of right now, all I want is to make her happy, and make her proud. I never made my father proud, that much I know, which just adds to the fuel on my mom's side. And, well, yeah.

cezy rockeru
08-09-11, 10:27
They don't like the music I like.

*suicides*

*appears on news*

Caesum
08-09-11, 10:30
There are things I will never tell them.
And surely vice versa.

Alex Shepherd
08-09-11, 10:43
My parents never allow me to play Tomb Raider games. :p But I never listen to them and keep playing.
There are a lot of secrets that my parents never know about. And I better hide them from them forever.

cezy rockeru
08-09-11, 10:44
My parents never allow me to play Tomb Raider games. :p But I never listen to them and keep playing.
There are a lot of secrets that my parents never know about. And I better hide them from them forever.

You're an adult..

laralives
08-09-11, 11:53
My parents are imbeciles. The end.

How true...tho for mine I would also like to add incompetent.

jarekhanzelka
08-09-11, 11:58
How true...tho for mine I would also like to add incompetent.

I'm wondering if the two of you have actually any valid reasons to hate on your own parents like that. No really, it grinds my freakin' gears when people do that for no apparent reason whatsoever. Feel free to ignore me, just had to get it out.

TheRCroft
08-09-11, 11:59
No really, it grinds my freakin' gears when people do that for no apparent reason whatsoever.

I'm sure they wouldn't have said it if they didn't have a proper reason for it.

Dennis's Mom
08-09-11, 12:05
Oh, I think parents understand plenty. I give teen drama and angst the attention it deserves rather than the attention young people THINK it deserves.

As I'm always telling my kids, five seconds after you cross that stage, high school becomes meaningless. All that BS you thought was Life or Death? Over. All that crap that Mattered so Much won't matter anymore.

Actually, one thing about high school will still matter, and it's the one thing all the adults told you mattered: what you learned in class. That will still be relevant for most of your life. ;)

laralives
08-09-11, 12:09
I'm wondering if the two of you have actually any valid reasons to hate on your own parents like that. No really, it grinds my freakin' gears when people do that for no apparent reason whatsoever. Feel free to ignore me, just had to get it out.

I'm sure they wouldn't have said it if they didn't have a proper reason for it.

Thank you TheRCroft :hug: and I DO have reasons... I'm pretty sure as TheRCroft said...Romantics Inc. probably also has his reasons...

xXhayleyroxXx
08-09-11, 12:11
My Mum is like my best friend -- I tell her everything, she tells me everything. We have a very close relationship and I love her muchly <3 My Dad is inspiring and I've learned so much from him, and he's always proud and interested in what I'm doing. They are the best parents I could ever wish for <3

Vinkula
08-09-11, 12:28
My Mum is like my best friend -- I tell her everything, she tells me everything. We have a very close relationship and I love her muchly <3 My Dad is inspiring and I've learned so much from him, and he's always proud and interested in what I'm doing. They are the best parents I could ever wish for <3

Do you live in some kind of Wonderland? :pi:

xXhayleyroxXx
08-09-11, 12:44
Do you live in some kind of Wonderland? :pi:

No xD My step-parents can be annoying sometimes, but they're a lot better now. But yeah, I have amazing parents <3

Vinkula
08-09-11, 12:45
How much you'd like? 10 000 ? :pi:

xXhayleyroxXx
08-09-11, 12:46
Lmao :vlol: I'm not selling them :ohn:

Vinkula
08-09-11, 12:49
Lmao :vlol: I'm not selling them :ohn:

No then :pi: I get them another way.

Ora Dagger
08-09-11, 13:00
I love my parents very much. They didn't have a very good childhood(my mom didnt at least) and they didnt raise me like they were raised. I know that they will love and support me whatever what I do.:hug: and I will always be there for them.

Joely-Moley
08-09-11, 15:01
I had an great relationship with my mother. She was an amazing, strong woman who I admired greatly. She taught me so much. most importantly to be myself no matter what. I miss her everyday.

My dad on the other hand, not so much. I don't know if hate is the right word when it comes to our relationship but I think we both had a strong dislike of each other. We haven't spoke in years.

Linoshi Croft
08-09-11, 15:13
Mother- Very close, I tell her practically everything. We've gained a very strong relationship as I had to help her when she was ill and couldn't really look after herself.

Father- None existent relationship, he doesn't care about me at all and just thinks throwing money at me helps. He hasn't even asked how my GCSE'S went yet or how I'm settling into college. . (Doesn't live with me)

Avalon SARL
08-09-11, 15:46
Every body has their flaws.
you can not expect everything from anyone, even your parents.

I am grateful and thankful to GOD for my parents, they are both good and caring and they are hard working; my relation with them is very very good, many places and picnics I'd do, it has to be with them and I tell them everything happening with me, good and bad,bI always run to them :)

however, I have one thing, not to say it concerns me much or bother me alot, but at some points makes me feel pissed and hurt, and that is they worry too much and they underrate my capabilities alot; they always give me this feeling that I am weak and incapable of doing something because my MOM is always very afraid on me getting hurt and my dad doesn't trust alot my capabilties of being able to do great things, not even in my job,butyeah it actually hurts me knowing that I am an A+ graduate in engineering :pi:

Your_Envy*
08-09-11, 15:49
I am in a great relationship with both of them. They support me all the time, I trust them so much. :hug: I am more like my father while my brother is more like my mother (when it comes to personality for course). :p I consider myself very lucky to have such a close relationship with both of them.

the ancient
08-09-11, 17:04
I like both my parents.

Yeah that's about it.

drakl0r
08-09-11, 17:54
I love them both, especially my father. I lost my mother in a car crash when I was 8 (my youngest brother was 6 months) and my father remarried a year later. Didn't get along very well with my stepmother though.

Kelly Craftman
08-09-11, 19:14
I got on with my dad but he has passed away. My mum on the other hand may not even exist in my eyes. She has never been a good mother to me and my sisters. She left us with our father because she never lived life as she wanted. I never ask her for advice because its just Bull****. She forgets that she is my mum sometimes and thinks that she is my sister or friend.

For advice I ask my best friends :)

Snazabaz
08-09-11, 19:31
My parents are amazing...always looked after me and my sister and I think they've pretty much done everything in our best interest as we've being growing up. However, a lot of stuff has happened to me under their noses and they never noticed, which upset me a whole lot. So it's a shame, cause I never feel like I can go to them for advice..

BrandonFlowers
08-09-11, 20:01
My parents are pretty damn amazing. I get on amazingly well with my Mum, we can talk about anything really. She is the only one in my real life that knows of my crush on Adam and she doesn't mind.

I get on with my Dad too but we tend to butt heads alot. He gets on better with my brother.

Zelda master
08-09-11, 20:11
My mom is great, she really care's about me and goes along to the hospital these days since my headache started a year ago and started to effect my life in a serious bad way (lost my job, and collage education:(). But still, never really had the feeling I could completly trust her on some things. Don't know what it is, I just have that feeling about her:o

My dad on the other hand... I can't get along anymore with him. He controlled every single step I tries to make when I was younger and forbid so many things when I was younger, which now I'm actually quite furios about... I'm fine that he's had grownup himself in Egypt where the Islam is nothing but normal, but with me he really forced it onto me. Never asked me what my thought and opinions were on the subject, he was really obbsesed with my life when I was younger in following his "footsteps" in religion... I always had the feeling he was more worried about his own "status" in the community then with me:(

leglion
08-09-11, 21:32
My mom is horrible, a naggy wench.
Spend too little time in the bathroom: You're not taking care of your self. Other boys would be so glad to take care of themselves. [ >insert long nag and simultaneous neck roll right here< ]

Spend even more time in the bathroom: Which boy you know that spends so much time in the bathroom? Only girls do that! [ >insert long nag and simultaneous neck roll right here< ]
Shut up. -.- I take as much time as i need to become so fabulous and im never late so zip it!

Get straight A's: That school is no good anyway. They're giving y'all easy stuff. They're not ready yet.

Get B's and C's and fail a class: What's wrong with you? Are you dumb? How could you get such low grades? The school is giving you all you need and as far as I'm concerned it's a good school(same school she was referring to from above. -__-)

Tell her i have a lesbian friend: What out she's gonna bugger you! I DON'T WANT YOU BEING FRIENDS WITH HER! [ >insert long nag and simultaneous neck roll right here< ]
No seriously, bitch, shut that ass up. I only have a limited supply of tolerance for ignorance and you're making my supply go low. -_____- Since when did all lesbians grow a penis? And if these LESBIANS did have penises, what makes you think they would go after boys? OR EVEN BE GIRLS IN THE FIRST PLACE!?!

In short, we have a horrible relationship.

moodydog
08-09-11, 21:34
I went through a phase of my mum really pissing me off all the time for no reason. Right now, we get along very well. :)

Rai
08-09-11, 22:28
I got on with my dad but he has passed away. My mum on the other hand may not even exist in my eyes. She has never been a good mother to me and my sisters. She left us with our father because she never lived life as she wanted. I never ask her for advice because its just Bull****. She forgets that she is my mum sometimes and thinks that she is my sister or friend.

For advice I ask my best friends :)

How is this bad? I understand a parent should be a parent, but is she always like this or occasional, because maybe she feels she would want to be friends as well as a mother, like you should be able to talk to her about anything. Obviously I don't know the circumstances beyond what you've said, but if I had a daughter, I'd like to think she could treat me as a friend as well as a mum. Well, my relationship with my son is like this to a point, but he's a very 'blokey' young man and he prefers to talk to his mates or dad over some stuff.

As for me: my mum and I get along okay and me and my son are pretty much the only family she has left. Since she moved back to the UK we see each other every week. But...I do have to bite my tongue a bit too. Let's just say she has a rather high opinion of herself and a lower one of me. Still she's the only mum I have so...

Before my dad passed, we had a pretty good relationship. He didn't treated me as an equal and I feel we had similar humours. We didn't always see each other regularly which I regret, but things had improved on that front for the last few years.

sheepman23
08-09-11, 22:31
You know, threads like this really make me realize just how lucky I am to have the parents I do. They care for me in every way, and everything they do is in my best interests. Sometimes I fight with them over stupid things, but in the end I love them very much (and know that they do as well). :)

Tombraiderx08
08-09-11, 22:32
I got along pretty well with my dad, though we had our moments :p
I get along okay with my mom, but sometimes I need to put her in her place. That sounds super incredibly bratty but you for real don't even know XD Many more good moments than bad though, many more, I love my parents :)

Tombcool
09-09-11, 21:13
If its the one thing I learned, is that people who disrespect their mothers are the most despicable and low-life scum on this planet. People who disrespect their mothers usually end up being the biggest jerks and losers in life anyways. Let's see how far the people who are disrespectful to their mothers go in life... not far ... at all.

That being said, some people here need to clean up their acts and start treating their mothers with respect. Seriously, your excuses are not acceptable and dumb.

We all get into fights with our mothers, but I am talking about the individuals who are consistently disrespectful to them.

That being said, I am a total kiss-*** to my mom and I am of it.

Kelly Craftman
09-09-11, 21:18
How is this bad? I understand a parent should be a parent, but is she always like this or occasional, because maybe she feels she would want to be friends as well as a mother, like you should be able to talk to her about anything. Obviously I don't know the circumstances beyond what you've said, but if I had a daughter, I'd like to think she could treat me as a friend as well as a mum. Well, my relationship with my son is like this to a point, but he's a very 'blokey' young man and he prefers to talk to his mates or dad over some stuff.
I enjoy her being my friend but she doesn't know when to stop being my friend and to start acting like a mother. It annoys me to the extreme because she was never there for me when I was growing up. And your right If I ever have a daughter I would like to be her friend but I also want to be her mother. I get the feeling my mum only wants to be my friend sometimes.

Tombcool
09-09-11, 21:22
I have a similar situation Kelly, but I do not know why this is bothering me...

Growing up, my mother has always called me by my pet names, or nick names, and now, I am 20, and she calls me by formal first name. It really upsets me and I get into emotional fights with her about it and start crying. :(

Rai
09-09-11, 21:32
So your mother is now calling you by your actual name instead of pet names? Maybe she feels that at 20 you're too old to have these pet names. I feel your reaction to it to be quite immature, sorry. If you really must have a pet name, pick a favourite and ask her to compromise and use that one.

@Kelly, well I see your point then. If your mother is recently back in your life, she really should be a mother first and a friend second. However, I can maybe understand why it may be easier for her to adopt the friend thing over the mother thing if she hasn't been one for so long. You may need to be the more mature one here for a bit and explain to her your need for a mother over a friend. Give her some time to adjust and try and be patient a little while longer.

[/ agony aunt/interfering :p]

Draco
09-09-11, 22:46
If its the one thing I learned, is that people who disrespect their mothers are the most despicable and low-life scum on this planet. People who disrespect their mothers usually end up being the biggest jerks and losers in life anyways. Let's see how far the people who are disrespectful to their mothers go in life... not far ... at all.

That being said, some people here need to clean up their acts and start treating their mothers with respect. Seriously, your excuses are not acceptable and dumb.

We all get into fights with our mothers, but I am talking about the individuals who are consistently disrespectful to them.

That being said, I am a total kiss-*** to my mom and I am of it.

What do you mean by respect and disrespect?

I have little respect for my mother, but I don't go out of my way to express it... or interact with her at all.

Tombcool
09-09-11, 23:13
Disrespect I mean is being ungrateful for what she has done for you. That can be expressed in many different ways. Including what you just mentioned, not interacting with her.

Why on earth would you not talk to your own mother? What terrible thing did she ever do to you?:confused:

Dark Lugia 2
09-09-11, 23:17
I beg my parents to call me by my actual name and not by the nickname they give me. My whole family has this weird habbit of calling everyone by a nickname only. What's the point in the official names if you dont use them...?

Weemanply109
09-09-11, 23:36
My dad is a **** to me however, my mum, well we used to be close, I used to talk to her alot and stuff but apparently "I'm a cheeky bastard" now and much more "rebelious" than what I used to be. Though I still prefer her over my dad :vlol:

Both of them used to be REAL bitches back in the day, if I even mentioned wtf they done.. I honestly.. cannot say. I had to make up so many excuses for what they done to me to my friends and teachers when I went into school. (NO MORE INFO!)

:o

PM me details NAO!

LaraCablara
10-09-11, 02:17
I don't tell them anything because they can find the negative in even the most positive things in my life :(.

I'm happy in my own world.

Catracoth
10-09-11, 02:43
Dad's been a bit of a tosser for the past few years, but my mum's always been a dear to me. Mainly because she knows I'm a ruthless bitch who won't take anyone's crap.

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqvp6jf0fE1qdlh1io1_250.gif

EmeraldFields
10-09-11, 02:57
I've never had a problem with either of my parents. We get along most of the time, even if we annoy one another. We still go on family vacations every other summer.