PDA

View Full Version : The TR Level Tournament: Round 3, Part 1 Voting

Ward Dragon
08-09-11, 01:17
See the general thread for the tournament (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=183565) which includes all match-ups from Round 3, as well as the results from Rounds 1 and 2.

Part 1 consists of the winners from Quarters 1 and 2 from Round 2.

Please vote for one level from each pair :)

Round 2, Quarter 4 Results
Winners are in bold.

Temple of Xian (TR2)
Tomb of Tihocan (TR1)

Desert Railroad (TRLR)
Labyrinth (TRC)

Louvre Galleries (AoD)
Catacombs of the Talion (TR2)

Jungle (TR3)
Tomb of Seth (TRLR)

Nevada Desert (TR3)
The Opera House (TR2)

Escape With the Iris (TRC)
40 Fathoms (TR2)

Sanctuary of the Scion (TR1)
Thames Wharf (TR3)

Pharos, Temple of Isis (TRLR)
Aquatic Research Area (AoD)

Romantics Inc.
08-09-11, 01:26
I picked Semerkhet because I have a lot of memories editing this level with TRLE. :)

Lukass
08-09-11, 01:29
Voted :)

Chocola teapot
08-09-11, 01:31
LMAO, never mind.

Legend of Lara
08-09-11, 01:44
Mmmmm, Palace Midas.

b0bb13
08-09-11, 01:50
Go non-"Le Deck" TR2 levels! <3
And dem Midas and Francis are just unf. :E

sheepman23
08-09-11, 01:52
I have to admit... this is getting downright tough. I just voted against The Great Wall - in a perfect world, that would never happen. TGW is one of the finest levels Tomb Raider has to offer, but unfortunately my favorite level of Last Revelation takes the cake. :o

I thought it would be neat if I listed what levels are still left in the tournament by game:

Tomb Raider
The Lost Valley
Tomb of Qualopec
St. Francis Folly
Colosseum
Palace Midas
Obelisk of Khamoon
Sanctuary of the Scion
The Great Pyramid

Tomb Raider 2
The Great Wall
Venice
Bartoli's Hideout
40 Fathoms
Wreck of the Maria Doria
The Deck
Tibetan Foothills
Barkhang Monastery
Temple of Xian
The Floating Islands
Home Sweet Home

Tomb Raider 3
Jungle
The River Ganges
Nevada Desert
Coastal Village
Crash Site
Lost City of Tinnos

The Last Revelation
Tomb of Semerkhet
Desert Railroad
Coastal Ruins
The Lost Library

Angel of Darkness
Louvre Galleries
The Hall of Seasons
Aquatic Research Area

Eddie Haskell
08-09-11, 01:54
It's way too early to pit Tinnos vs the Folly. It should have been avoided.

Ward Dragon
08-09-11, 02:03

There are only a few polls left anyway :)

sheepman23
08-09-11, 02:03

Ah... I'm starting to think I should've made sure they were on different sides of the bracket. :o But there are so many levels of the series that I could say the same about - sorry that it happened, but as I've said before none of it was intentional, and pairings like this were bound to happen.

I agree, though, choosing between masterpieces like these two is awful. :(

DgoOdz94
08-09-11, 02:16
Made my votes. :)

Getting real close to the end, and the choices are getting tougher! xD

Love2Raid
08-09-11, 02:20
^
Definitely!

sheepman23
08-09-11, 02:23
Getting real close to the end, and the choices are getting tougher! xD

I hear ya - it's a crime that I have to choose between The Lost Library and The Great Wall. :(

patriots88888
08-09-11, 02:23
I have to admit... this is getting downright tough.

This is the easiest poll for me since the first round'ers.

And I'm assuming Hall of Seasons level isn't including the individual season rooms? At any rate, still my preference (as it is currently paired).

sheepman23
08-09-11, 02:27
And I'm assuming Hall of Seasons level isn't including the individual season rooms? At any rate, still my preference (as it is currently paired).

I'm leaving this up to everyone - I think that since all of the siderooms have been out since Round 1, it's alright to include them with the main level, but if the level is better for you without? Do it that way. :p

(By the way, you totally should've voted for Wreck of the Maria Doria. :pi: :p)

King.Louie
08-09-11, 03:00
Im the only one who voted The Deck over Palace Midas :vlol:

Love2Raid
08-09-11, 03:04
Yes and you should be spanked for doing so. :smk:

Ward Dragon
08-09-11, 03:05

I almost did, but Palace Midas edged it out for me. That was the hardest choice I've made in the tournament so far XD

Romantics Inc.
08-09-11, 03:10
It was quite easy for me. Palace Midas shines in my memory like a star. The Deck just dwells there.

patriots88888
08-09-11, 03:15
I'm leaving this up to everyone - I think that since all of the siderooms have been out since Round 1, it's alright to include them with the main level, but if the level is better for you without? Do it that way. :p

I just find it easier to vote for the ones I really like much easier than weighing out which of the two choices I dislike least. So I expect it to get even easier as this rolls on. Unless of course those few that I really like that still remain are axed in this round.

Legend of Lara
08-09-11, 04:26

Well, duh. Everyone remembers Palace Midas. "The Deck"? Whazzat? Sounds like boring, pretentious hipster crap.

ha ha ha look at me not being serious but really Palace Midas is a very memorable level

Spong
08-09-11, 05:11
If I was voting, I simply wouldn't be able to choose between Palace Midas and The Deck.

Saman
08-09-11, 07:47
Thank you guys, I voted this too :)

Palace Midas (TR1)
_

Coastal Village (TR3)
_

Barkhang Monastery (TR2)
_

Tomb of Qualopec (TR1)
_

The Hall of Seasons (AoD)
_

The River Ganges (TR3)
_

The Lost Library (TRLR)
_

St. Francis Folly (TR1)

EscondeR
08-09-11, 07:57
That was a very hard one.

Saman
08-09-11, 08:12
That was a very hard one.

Not actually I think yes, but a little ;)

EscondeR
08-09-11, 08:19
^ Pairs 3, 4 and 8 were actually.

Soul
08-09-11, 09:28
Noooooo, why are my two favourite levels competing?

For me this one was really hard...

I voted for:
Palace Midas - even if I love "The Deck" - Midas is one of the best levels that was created by Core.
Tomb of Semerkhet - One of these typical TR-levels. Was still pretty hard, as I also like Coastal Village
Barkhang Monastery - easy one. Tibet is one of the best sections in TR2, Atlantis however is the worst section in TR1
Tomb of Qualopec - brilliant level with some amazing ideas. Loved it back then in 1998 (I didn't play TR1 when it came out) and still loving it.
Hall of Seasons - One of the best memories I have from AoD. For me this was rather easy - especially as the backgroundsound in Maria Doria gave me the creeps when I played it the first time on PS.
River Ganges - Not my favourite level but definitely winning against Home Sweet Home :)
The Lost Library - I also really love "The Great Wall" but "The Lost Library" is an amazing level with fantastic gameplay - I would in no way vote against it.
Lost City of Tinnos - Hardest choice ever.

sheepman23
08-09-11, 11:36
I'm pretty much in agreement with everyone else - this has been the toughest yet, all 16 levels up there are great, there's nothing truly bad I have to say about any of them.

Soul
08-09-11, 12:29
Tinnos is losing http://www.trforge.net/forum/smilies/pics/ahhh.gif

tomee
08-09-11, 12:31
Palace Midas - I like the deck too, so quite a tough choice.
Tomb of Semerkhet - I loved the seneth and the surprise bugs in the beginning
Barkhang monastery - Pure epixxness!!!
Bartoli's hideout - a hard decision because both levels were in the not that memorable category. xD
hall o' seasons - Aod whorin'
River ganges - finally the reign of HSH ends. Again, R.I.P. Aldwych :(
The lost library - hands down!
St. Francis folly - ... tough decision. :/

have you ever voted for an aod level at all? :p

sheepman23
08-09-11, 14:58
have you ever voted for an aod level at all? :p

Believe it or not, I have - Louvre Galleries for certain, I think I also went for Vault of Trophies and Galleries Under Siege once or twice as well. :p IMO, LG is the only AoD level that really deserves to make it this far in the tourney... :whi:

peeves
08-09-11, 15:00
Deck
Coastal Village
Barkhang Monastery
Bartoli's Hideout
Hall of Seasons
River Ganges
Great Wall
Lost city of Tinnos

Seth94
08-09-11, 15:21
How can Tinnos be losing to St. Francis Folly? :mad: Just joking, they're both amazing levels, even though Tinnos is 10 times better. :p

My votes:

Palace Midas
Tomb of Semerkhet
Barkhang Monastery
Bartoli's Hideout
The Hall of Seasons
The River Ganges
The Lost Library
Lost City of Tinnos (Obviously :D)

Eddie Haskell
08-09-11, 16:02
How can Tinnos be losing to St. Francis Folly? :mad: Just joking, they're both amazing levels, even though Tinnos is 10 times better. :p

My votes:

Palace Midas
Tomb of Semerkhet
Barkhang Monastery
Bartoli's Hideout
The Hall of Seasons
The River Ganges
The Lost Library
Lost City of Tinnos (Obviously :D)

This should have been avoided. If he says that he used previous polls to determine the pairings (which was a wise thing to do), then it should have been obvious that this matchup was unwarranted at this stage. Just look at the other pairings in this one and compare. Both superb levels are always a contender for the #1 level in all of the games in contrast to many of the others in this round. It should have been avoided. Any individual that uses his own judgement in setting up the individual matchups is always going to have problems, that is why using a scientific or alphabetic method is the best way to go. Using the numerical results of the previous polls as a guide and crafting proper pairings is the way to go. Arbitrary invites trouble. Now some top 10 levels will be delegated to the dustbin early. But, it's all in fun anyway so who really cares.

Seth94
08-09-11, 16:08
This should have been avoided. If he says that he used previous polls to determine the pairings (which was a wise thing to do), then it should have been obvious that this matchup was unwarranted at this stage. Just look at the other pairings in this one and compare. Both superb levels are always a contender for the #1 level in all of the games in contrast to many of the others in this round. It should have been avoided.

I agree completely, though that's not the point I'm making. :)

If you compare the two levels, there is really no contest. Both levels are great levels, but when you compare the '4 areas to find a key' for St. Francis Folly and Lost City of Tinnos, it's obvious that Tinnos has the much better puzzles and gameplay. ;)

Take the Atlas and Neptune areas in St. Francis Folly for example. Each challenge lasts about a minute and contains hardly any gameplay at all. But Lost City of Tinnos has the great element puzzles. :tmb:

I think a lot of the levels are being voted more by nostalgia rather than the quality of the levels themselves. :(

Soul
08-09-11, 16:10
Now some top 10 levels will be delegated to the dustbin early. But, it's all in fun anyway so who really cares.

Well, this whole voting will obviously just bring us a winner and no real second or third place. That's why I personally see nothing wrong wth the pairings, even if it's a shame, that the very best TR-level that has ever been crafted imo won't be part of Round 4.

Eddie Haskell
08-09-11, 16:29
I agree completely, though that's not the point I'm making. :)

If you compare the two levels, there is really no contest. Both levels are great levels, but when you compare the '4 areas to find a key' for St. Francis Folly and Lost City of Tinnos, it's obvious that Tinnos has the much better puzzles and gameplay. ;)

Take the Atlas and Neptune areas in St. Francis Folly for example. Each challenge lasts about a minute and contains hardly any gameplay at all. But Lost City of Tinnos has the great element puzzles. :tmb:

I think a lot of the levels are being voted more by nostalgia rather than the quality of the levels themselves. :(

I have no problem with any voters criteria for choosing one over another. I myself use the likability/Tomb Raidery scale rather than some technocratic checklist. But regardless of "the why", it is a known fact that these two levels are always mentioned as favorites/great levels on most lists, and to pit them against each other at this stage makes me wonder what was the scientific criteria that forced this matchup.

Seth94
08-09-11, 16:45
I have no problem with any voters criteria for choosing one over another. I myself use the likability/Tomb Raidery scale rather than some technocratic checklist. But regardless of "the why", it is a known fact that these two levels are always mentioned as favorites/great levels on most lists, and to pit them against each other at this stage makes me wonder what was the scientific criteria that forced this matchup.

I don't understand why these two levels are matched together in round 3 either, considering there's still 5 rounds to go. :confused:

tomee
08-09-11, 17:00
er, there'll be five voting threads, not rounds. these are the semi-finals IIKR.

Seth94
08-09-11, 17:03
er, there'll be five voting threads, not rounds. these are the semi-finals IIKR.

I meant 4 rounds to go. ;)

There's still 4 matchups to go for the level which eventually wins. So that means there's still 4 rounds. :)

Blackmoor
08-09-11, 17:51
It's getting exciting now that we're getting closer to the end. My picks:

*Palace Midas
*Coastal Village
*Barkhang Monastery
*Tomb of Qualopec
*Wreck of the Maria Dora
*The River Ganges
*The Lost Library
*St Francis's Folly

And they're all rightly (:p) winning apart from Tomb of Qualopec.

Hopefully in this round we get to shed the Hall of Seasons, hehehe. :D *cheers to herself*

Jester Head
08-09-11, 18:34
This is getting tough!

Johnnay
08-09-11, 18:57
The lost library is actually beating the great wall

**** no

LaraDuh
08-09-11, 20:44
The remaining Aod levels are beast. I hope at least one of them makes top ten.

sheepman23
08-09-11, 21:15
This should have been avoided. If he says that he used previous polls to determine the pairings (which was a wise thing to do), then it should have been obvious that this matchup was unwarranted at this stage. Just look at the other pairings in this one and compare. Both superb levels are always a contender for the #1 level in all of the games in contrast to many of the others in this round. It should have been avoided. Any individual that uses his own judgement in setting up the individual matchups is always going to have problems, that is why using a scientific or alphabetic method is the best way to go. Using the numerical results of the previous polls as a guide and crafting proper pairings is the way to go. Arbitrary invites trouble.

Which is exactly what I did. :confused:

By the way, I think it's worth pointing out that in the "Favorite Level of TR3" poll (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=151138&highlight=tournament), Temple Ruins, The River Ganges, Nevada Desert, and Aldwych all had higher scores than Tinnos (which also has the same amount as Jungle, Coastal Village, and Crash Site). So I don't see how I was pitting two huge favorites together - judging by this poll, the level clearly isn't the favorite of TR3 (if it counts for anything). On the other hand, St. Francis Folly was 3rd in the TR1 poll. (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=150821&highlight=tournament)

And I think you're forgetting the fact that others out there may have favorites of their own that have been pitted together. I've already lost my favorite level in the previous round; I agree that we're looking at two amazing levels here, but there's 32 left - it's getting more and more likely for the better ones to end up together.

Now some top 10 levels will be delegated to the dustbin early. But, it's all in fun anyway so who really cares.

Top 10 to you - not necessarily the Top 10 to everyone else. ;) If I look at my Top 10 levels of the series, I've lost Madubu Gorge, Escape With the Iris, and Aldwych already.

I don't understand why these two levels are matched together in round 3 either, considering there's still 5 rounds to go. :confused:

Again, check my response to Eddie's post. There's probably another TR fan out there who thinks that The Lost Valley and Tibetan Foothills are amazing levels (like myself :p), and they're facing off in the next poll. I'm just saying that the definition of an "amazing level" in TR is completely based on opinion, not fact. Yes, I can sort out the levels that have a better reputation and make an attempt to split them up, but I can't work everything out so perfectly that everyone's favorites make it to the end. It just doesn't work like that.

In the end, this is all for a bit of fun - I'm truly sorry if your favorites seem to be going out prematurely, but there's 32 left, and they all can't go through. :(

Cali
08-09-11, 21:20
I haven't voted on these in quite a while, but these were so easy to decide that I thought I might as well.

Seth94
08-09-11, 21:26
Again, check my response to Eddie's post. There's probably another TR fan out there who thinks that The Lost Valley and Tibetan Foothills are amazing levels (like myself :p), and they're facing off in the next poll. I'm just saying that the definition of an "amazing level" in TR is completely based on opinion, not fact. Yes, I can sort out the levels that have a better reputation and make an attempt to split them up, but I can't work everything out so perfectly that everyone's favorites make it to the end. It just doesn't work like that.

I'm not complaining about the matchups, what I said was that I think the votes for the levels are more by nostalgia rather than the quality of the level itself. I think St. Francis Folly seems to be one of the most nostalgic TR levels, but I don't think it's anywhere near the quality of Tinnos. :)

And I know that the matchups were made properly, I was just surprised that this matchup came up so early on in the level tournament. ;)

patriots88888
08-09-11, 21:29
Well said post.

Agreed! :tmb: I won't whine that Cleopatra's Palaces has already been ousted... even though a part of me really wants to. :whi: I like that the more 'popular' favorites are getting matched at this stage. I'm hoping it will...

1. Lead to more thought put into the choices
2. Provide us with a truer 'winner' as a result (as far as those who participated in these matchups on a consistent basis).

sheepman23
08-09-11, 22:14
Agreed! :tmb: I won't whine that Cleopatra's Palaces has already been ousted... even though a part of me really wants to. :whi: I like that the more 'popular' favorites are getting matched at this stage. I'm hoping it will...

2. Provide us with a truer 'winner' as a result (as far as those who participated in these matchups on a consistent basis).

Also a very well-said post. :tmb: And I agree about having a "truer" winner; the ones that are close to the top are generally going to be the ones that everyone voted the most for, and therefore are more "liked." ;)

Blackmoor
08-09-11, 23:07
Agreed! :tmb: I won't whine that Cleopatra's Palaces has already been ousted... even though a part of me really wants to. :whi:I'm still not happy that Aldwych and the Cistern has gone either. *grumble* What we're you all thinking? :rolleyes: :p

I like that the more 'popular' favorites are getting matched at this stage. I'm hoping it will...

2. Provide us with a truer 'winner' as a result (as far as those who participated in these matchups on a consistent basis).It's definitely going to be extremely interesting to see which is the ultimate favourite TR level.

Rai
08-09-11, 23:09
Voted.

@Paddy and Johnnay: *le sigh* :vlol:

Love2Raid
08-09-11, 23:13
The lost library is actually beating the great wall

**** no
I am actually feeling a bit guilty for voting of the Library, it was a tough choice. The Great Wall is an amazing level. :tmb:

sheepman23
09-09-11, 00:51
I'm still not happy that Aldwych and the Cistern has gone either. *grumble* What we're you all thinking? :rolleyes: :p

Lol, I agree about Aldwych, but certainly not Cistern. :p I liked it, but it's probably my least favorite level of TR1. :whi:

I am actually feeling a bit guilty for voting of the Library, it was a tough choice. The Great Wall is an amazing level. :tmb:

Ah, me too... I feel incredibly guilty about picking it, with such a huge nostalgic tie that I have with The Great Wall, so many memories bottled up in one level. :D But in the end I think that The Lost Library is by far the standout level of The Last Revelation, and it deserves to do very well. :tmb: In the case of TR2, I have several favorites from it that are still in the competition, so I guess losing one of them won't be a huge deal (although I'll still be said :().

LaraDuh
09-09-11, 01:13
Lost Library FTW

peeves
09-09-11, 13:42
I think the lost library is a suckish level IMO.

sheepman23
09-09-11, 21:00
I think the lost library is a suckish level IMO.

That's a rather hateful comment with not much to back it up. :rolleyes: Explain yourself and I'll listen, because IMO it's one of the best levels of the series, such an incredible atmosphere with tons of places to go, lots of exploration, memorable puzzles, and just a very great experience. :tmb:

LaraDuh
09-09-11, 21:19
That's a rather hateful comment with not much to back it up. :rolleyes: Explain yourself and I'll listen, because IMO it's one of the best levels of the series, such an incredible atmosphere with tons of places to go, lots of exploration, memorable puzzles, and just a very great experience. :tmb:

mmhhmm:ohn:

sheepman23
10-09-11, 02:15
Wreck of the Maria Doria vs. Hall of Seasons... :cln: Definitely one of our closest pairs yet.

And Wreck of the Maria Doria clearly deserves to win :p

Dark Wiseman
10-09-11, 06:37
I think that people have to remember that this is just to find the currently least hated level, and that's it. Not the second least hated level, not the third, etc. At the end, the order the other levels come in is completely irrelevant. So the fact that "Lost City of Tinnos" will most likely be out at the end of this round doesn't really matter. It would have eventually been voted out anyway.

Moving on, I deliberately used the term 'least hated', because the way this tournament is organized that's what you'll end up with. That's why Aldwych lost to Tomb of Qualopec. A lot of people love Aldwych; to some it's one of their favorite TR maps. But who would say the same of Tomb of Qualopec? I doubt you'll find that in anyone's favorite level list.

But it doesn't matter, because many people (such as myself) don't think Aldwych is all that great. Whereas Tomb of Qualopec isn't going to generate much ill will from anyone. It's just a safe, middle of the road map. Nothing really to dislike there. So at the end of the day, Aldwych might be the most loved map between the two, but Tomb of Qualopec is the least hated, so it wins and moves on to the next round.

In order to find the most loved, you'd have to have a different way of organizing the tournament.

tomee
10-09-11, 06:44
Ah come on. Hall o' seasons needs only two more votes. *__* Don't let it fall out. D:

Dis guy knows something :ohn:

Eddie Haskell
10-09-11, 12:43
I think that people have to remember that this is just to find the currently least hated level, and that's it. Not the second least hated level, not the third, etc. At the end, the order the other levels come in is completely irrelevant. So the fact that "Lost City of Tinnos" will most likely be out at the end of this round doesn't really matter. It would have eventually been voted out anyway.

Moving on, I deliberately used the term 'least hated', because the way this tournament is organized that's what you'll end up with. That's why Aldwych lost to Tomb of Qualopec. A lot of people love Aldwych; to some it's one of their favorite TR maps. But who would say the same of Tomb of Qualopec? I doubt you'll find that in anyone's favorite level list.

But it doesn't matter, because many people (such as myself) don't think Aldwych is all that great. Whereas Tomb of Qualopec isn't going to generate much ill will from anyone. It's just a safe, middle of the road map. Nothing really to dislike there. So at the end of the day, Aldwych might be the most loved map between the two, but Tomb of Qualopec is the least hated, so it wins and moves on to the next round.

In order to find the most loved, you'd have to have a different way of organizing the tournament.

There's no doubt that Tinnos was not going to win this. And you are 100% correct that this formula does not have the capacity to do what it was intended or expected to. Also in addition to the points that you made one should take into account the importance of the whole game to the individual and how that relates to ones feelings and subsequent vote, particularly when it comes to selecting between levels that (to the voter) are not superior. Everyone here has a favorite game and many despise others with a passion, and their votes reflect these facts, irregardless of the individual level itself. Another important factor is even more critical; that many have not played all of the games, and even if a level is potentially much "better", if you have not played it you cannot vote for it.

If a series of single elimination tournaments were arranged with special criteria for choosing the winner based on specific game components such as puzzles, platforming environment, atmosphere, music and sound, combat, simple fun factor, etc (more categories available!), then we could isolate each gaming element for each level first. Then we would have a series of winners that would reflect better upon the individual factors that represent Tomb Raider games, and I think that then we could select the Most Tomb Raidery level ever made...the level that best reflects the complete Tomb Raider concept. Sure we could argue about what that is exactly, but then again, this poll would in a small way answer that.

This tournament is good for what it doing, I just have a problem with the arbitrary nature of the pairings. But given all of the parameters that come with this forum and the voters, in the end any system will have its issues and problems.

sheepman23
10-09-11, 14:44

:tmb:

As I've stated before, Aldwych simply has too many people who hate it in order for it to move on. On the other hand, like you say, ToQ is hard to dislike... but then again, who really has it on their favorites list? Aldwych is the exact opposite, it's a love-or-hate level, and that's ultimately the reason that it came out below ToQ.

But I have to disagree on this tournament portraying just the "least hated" level. I think to some extent, the one that wins is going to be the "most liked" as well, because although it may not be everyone's favorite level ever, it's one that most everyone can accept as a genuine "TR experience" (again, we could argue as to what that is exactly).

There's no doubt that Tinnos was not going to win this. And you are 100% correct that this formula does not have the capacity to do what it was intended or expected to. Also in addition to the points that you made one should take into account the importance of the whole game to the individual and how that relates to ones feelings and subsequent vote, particularly when it comes to selecting between levels that (to the voter) are not superior. Everyone here has a favorite game and many despise others with a passion, and their votes reflect these facts, irregardless of the individual level itself. Another important factor is even more critical; that many have not played all of the games, and even if a level is potentially much "better", if you have not played it you cannot vote for it.

Yep, I agree - and that's really one of the only major things I can see wrong with this tournament, the fact that the voters aren't consistent with the way they vote. Which is why I decided not to include Gold levels, as many people have not played them and wouldn't have chosen them, despite the fact that quite a few of them would've stood a chance at making it to the top (if everyone had played them).

And yeah, I think that favorite and least favorite TR games play a key role here too. A lot of people hate AoD enough that they automatically shun those levels to the side, and they also automatically vote for levels from their favorite game. I prefer to go a tiny more in-depth, though, as you would never see me voting for Offshore Rig to make it to the finals, despite it being from my favorite game. :p

If a series of single elimination tournaments were arranged with special criteria for choosing the winner based on specific game components such as puzzles, platforming environment, atmosphere, music and sound, combat, simple fun factor, etc (more categories available!), then we could isolate each gaming element for each level first. Then we would have a series of winners that would reflect better upon the individual factors that represent Tomb Raider games, and I think that then we could select the Most Tomb Raidery level ever made...the level that best reflects the complete Tomb Raider concept. Sure we could argue about what that is exactly, but then again, this poll would in a small way answer that.

While I like this idea, I must say that most voters probably wouldn't think hard about these specific categories. If the pairing was The Lost Library vs. Temple of Xian in a "Puzzles" tournament, for instance, people who loved ToX (as an overall experience) more than The Lost Library would forget the fact that The Lost Library has some incredible puzzles and therefore would probably deserve to be picked.

Of course, this is all my opinion, but it's just some food for thought. :)

This tournament is good for what it doing, I just have a problem with the arbitrary nature of the pairings. But given all of the parameters that come with this forum and the voters, in the end any system will have its issues and problems.

I've thought about it, and as Spong pointed out in one of the earlier polls, it would've worked better if there was a list of users who were voting in every poll, and all other users were unable to. That way we would see a more well-rounded result. :tmb:

I understand that many of you can see flaws within the tournament, but at the end of the day, I had just wanted this to be a bit of fun, and I hope that it has been for everyone.

LaraDuh
10-09-11, 15:44
Ah come on. Hall o' seasons needs only two more votes. *__* Don't let it fall out. D:

Dis guy knows something :ohn:

but it isnt as good as the other two AOD levels left. so i could care less if its knocked out at this point.

peeves
10-09-11, 17:06
Hall of Seasons is a pretty good level IMO because it's fun and challenging without medi packs and without dying.

LaraDuh
10-09-11, 19:20
Hall of Seasons is a pretty good level IMO because it's fun and challenging without medi packs and without dying.

challenging but not as good as the other two levels for this game, and definitley not better than Maria Doria. IMHO

sheepman23
10-09-11, 19:46
A question to all - should we start the next poll today, or tomorrow? I had thought that letting it run for four days would be better, since we're getting to the more important rounds, but we've got more votes than we usually do by this time, so I don't know if any more users will vote by tomorrow.

Then again, there are some close pairs...

aidanmalone
10-09-11, 19:49
Its upto you really :)
But were getting to the more important decisions and each set has a clear winner already :D

LaraDuh
10-09-11, 20:01
today! today! please :)

Seth94
10-09-11, 20:02
I think you should start it today. Lost City of Tinnos isn't going to win, and I don't think any of the results would change anyway. :)

sheepman23
10-09-11, 20:35
I've PM'ed Ward Dragon with the next poll, it should hopefully be up later today. :D

LaraDuh
10-09-11, 20:38
woot!

Blackmoor
10-09-11, 21:19
I think you should start it today. Lost City of Tinnos isn't going to win, and I don't think any of the results would change anyway. :)

I've PM'ed Ward Dragon with the next poll, it should hopefully be up later today. :DQuick, quick, before there's any changes to the Wreck of Maria Dora v. Hall of Seasons! :eek: Don't want any last minute reversals. (Sorry, Tomee :mis:)

peeves
10-09-11, 22:35
I want great wall to beat lost library so frickin' bad. :(

sheepman23
10-09-11, 22:41
I want great wall to beat lost library so frickin' bad. :(

Why? :confused:

Honestly, I don't care which one wins, they're both such incredible levels. :D

peeves
10-09-11, 22:42
Why? :confused:

Honestly, I don't care which one wins, they're both such incredible levels. :D

I hate lost library that level sucks ass.

sheepman23
10-09-11, 22:45
I hate lost library that level sucks ass.

That still doesn't explain why you want it to lose. :rolleyes: Please tell me why it sucks so much then. :wve:

Ward Dragon
10-09-11, 22:56
This poll seems pretty stable now in terms of results, so we're going to put the next one up now :)