PDA

View Full Version : Past Relationships: What did you learn?

JonnyL
08-09-11, 14:33
Just a thread about your past relationships. Any knowledge you've gained from being in a relationship can be posted here.

http://rlv.zcache.com/light_blue_hearts_card-p137949054891965707q0yk_400.jpg

I learned that the feeling of love doesn't always last forever.

Los Angeles
08-09-11, 14:34
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.... >.<

Ur not serious, are you? :pi:

Chocola teapot
08-09-11, 14:34
Women are not for me.

;D

jarekhanzelka
08-09-11, 14:35
That being forever alone ain't half bad.

StefanJ94
08-09-11, 14:36
I don't feel like bitching now XD However, I'll be back :pi:

xXhayleyroxXx
08-09-11, 14:39
Be yourself. Always. Even if the guy wants you to be something different -- if thats the case he shouldn't be with you :ohn: And be guarded. Don't jump into a relationship unless you're absolutely sure and never rush into anything. And stay true to yourself <3

And opposites don't attract with me xD Been there, done that. Similarities ftw <3

MyRaider4Life
08-09-11, 14:39
That eventually you'll get back together with that person and the bond will be stronger than ever. ._.

OH, and I also learnt they can be quite messy.

Women are not for me.

;D

Omg, gurl. You're missing out. D':

b0bb13
08-09-11, 14:43
That I love me too much to share myself with mere peasanty commoners. n.n

SkyPuppy
08-09-11, 14:43
i learned that i take what i have for granted.

Evan C.
08-09-11, 14:45
Love is like living on a short period of time: it's beautiful, it's hard and even you know it's gonna end someday, you deny it.Then again, it's the only way of living, and you can live as many time you wish...or ressist.

:)

Changeling
08-09-11, 14:46
Don't jump into anything - take things slow, and don't fall into a relationship just for the sake of having one. Oh, and that friends with benefits is actually great fun if you don't get too attached.

Spong
08-09-11, 15:16
Be yourself. Always. Even if the guy wants you to be something different -- if thats the case he shouldn't be with you :ohn:

Compromise isn't a possibility with you then?

larson n natla
08-09-11, 15:18
I'd have had to have had one to be able to let you know. :whi:

CiaKonwerski
08-09-11, 15:35
Nothing because I have never had any. I am the type of person who wants to get in a good, concrete relationship without having a lot of previous ones. Perhaps maybe one but unless I was sure that person was the one, I would not go far into the relationship in terms of sexual activities etc. Also because I never really want to do any of those activities even if I was in a relationship with the "one". Maybe in the future if myself and another person do break it off, I would hope to have learned more about myself in terms of why it was broken off. Getting to know me better because of that relationship. And I know a lot of you may say, I will most likely never find the "one" to be my very first relationship...and you may be right. But, I guess I will just have to wait and see.

Zelda master
08-09-11, 15:39
Nothing... Haven't really had an actual relationship yet...

Linoshi Croft
08-09-11, 15:41
Take care of yourself, don't sit there and take abuse or threats. Never, do something you don't want to, don't let anyone pressure you. If things are bad don't blame everything on yourself.

Be yourself. Always. Even if the guy wants you to be something different -- if thats the case he shouldn't be with you :ohn: And be guarded. Don't jump into a relationship unless you're absolutely sure and never rush into anything. And stay true to yourself <3

And opposites don't attract with me xD Been there, done that. Similarities ftw <3

:tmb:

aidanmalone
08-09-11, 15:49
Alot, one of my exes was a complete bitch even though i knew her for like 3 years. I gave it a try and her true colours came out.
Dont jump into things unless youre really sure you can handle whats thrown at you, every relationship has its ups and down but if they both love each other I dont think anything else matters.

Lara Coft Baby
08-09-11, 15:51
I learned that when your 16 or what ever, You don't exactly know what love is and shouldn't fall for the first guy that gives you the slightest bit of attention. Specially if he's a tad older. They only want one thing.

Then I learned most online relationships don't work. And they guy will end up becoming an "idiot" (not the word i'd use, but gotta make it appropriate for this forum) And ends up cheating on you....

OH and rubbing it in your face that hes cheating, and saying some other really mean things. *nods*

rowanlim
08-09-11, 15:52
I learned that if the other person is your friend, you might want to take it slow because it would be a waste of a good friendship if it ends badly.

Linoshi Croft
08-09-11, 15:53
You shouldn't fall for the first guy that gives you the slightest bit of attention. Specially if he's a tad older. They only want one thing.

Completely.

Archetype
08-09-11, 15:57
Don't try to make it work, it will take care of itself.

xLara_Nathanx
08-09-11, 15:58
1 tip: Make him/her know you love him/her.

Draco
08-09-11, 15:59
If the horse throws you off, take it and get back on.

I wasn't in many relationships before I met my wife, but even so we didn't rush it.

If you (or they) can't be patient with the pace of the relationship, it may not be solid to begin with.

SkyPuppy
08-09-11, 16:00
If the horse throws you off, take it and get back on.

I wasn't in many relationships before I met my wife, but even so we didn't rush it.

If you (or they) can't be patient with the pace of the relationship, it may not be solid to begin with.

you're back!!!!!!!!!! :hug: again

Zelda master
08-09-11, 16:01
1 tip: Make him/her know you love him/her.

That's kinda late for some people :p

*Like me =[*

xXhayleyroxXx
08-09-11, 16:03
Compromise isn't a possibility with you then?

Well, I don't see why I should have to change. Both of my ex's tried to change me -- one even told me how I should wear my hair, instructed me who I should and shouldn't speak to, got people to follow me and didn't seem to think I was allowed an opinion. One even told me to dye my hair xD I can compromise on some things -- not when it comes to controlling and changing me. I'm not a doll and I won't be treated as such.

Take care of yourself, don't sit there and take abuse or threats. Never, do something you don't want to, don't let anyone pressure you. If things are bad don't blame everything on yourself.
:tmb:

This :ohn:

Chocola teapot
08-09-11, 16:03
you're back!!!!!!!!!! :hug: again

+1

I missed him so much. ;_;

SkyPuppy
08-09-11, 16:07
+1

I missed him so much. ;_;

so did i, bb.

oh, another thing! when you know you're in love with someone, then be sure to have sex with said person before you possibly break-up.

;_;

Legend of Lara
08-09-11, 16:07
I didn't learn anything. But she sure learnt to not steal my snacks. Or at least she would have if she weren't dead.

:pi:

(Never been in a relationship, is cool with that.)

b0bb13
08-09-11, 16:08
(Never been in a relationship, is cool with that.)

I thought we had something! 3':{

Legend of Lara
08-09-11, 16:09
I thought we had something! 3':{

Go back to being dead, sweetie.

b0bb13
08-09-11, 16:11
Go back to being dead, sweetie.
*like, man down, ram papa pam, y'all*
Hilda-san, you god damned asshooooole! >_< *thud*

Kelly Craftman
08-09-11, 16:12
If your not happy then leave, don't become Cheryl Cole.

jarekhanzelka
08-09-11, 16:14
And also, be sure to make her babies before things get anywhat serious.

Kelly Craftman
08-09-11, 16:15
DTR before intercourse.

JonnyL
08-09-11, 16:21
...be sure to have sex with said person before you possibly break-up.

If you're going to break up, why would you want to do that :S?

Kelly Craftman
08-09-11, 16:22

To get some. Duh! :p

Legend of Lara
08-09-11, 16:23

Britney said it's okay. Why would she lie? :o

herpes derpes

SkyPuppy
08-09-11, 16:23

i said possibly, now didn't i? also, it's incase you have sex after you break-up.

Draco
08-09-11, 16:25
Ex sex brings its own problems... been there done that.

SkyPuppy
08-09-11, 16:27

it can, yes. :/

Kelly Craftman
08-09-11, 16:28

It can? :| LOL joke I wouldn't touch my ex's with a 10 foot barge pole

TRULuverzz
08-09-11, 16:29
I learnt that I should wait for the one I love before engaging in a relationship, afterall I was in 2 relationships that wasn't loving :/

JonnyL
08-09-11, 19:23
I learnt that I should wait for the one I love before engaging in a relationship, afterall I was in 2 relationships that wasn't loving :/
Of course you should :O :)

sierra xb
08-09-11, 19:31
take the time to be friends first, that way you'll know if you actually like the other person and will have compatible interests. Get to know them before getting serious and don't be in a hurry to do anything.

Most important though...learn how to communicate, say what's on your mind but be nice, and don't bottle up feelings...they will just explode when you finally do let them out.

Lastly, NEVER tolerate an abusive relationship...don't try to accept it, justify it, or fix it, just get the hell out before someone gets hurt!!!

Caesum
08-09-11, 19:33
What relationships?

sandygrimm
08-09-11, 19:58
A lot! Thank God they didn't go threw longer!

Kelly Craftman
08-09-11, 19:59
Never date an emotional wreck /emo kid. Or anyone smarter than you! :p

This! :tmb:

Close the thread now! :p

LaraDuh
08-09-11, 20:10
One piece of advice i can give is that not everyone will date you because they like you. *cough* charity * cough*

Alpharaider47
09-09-11, 05:39
From my experiences, I've seen that(at least in my life):

All is not usually what it seems, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Patience is definitely a virtue, and attempting long distance really wasn't worth it in the end. Bottling things up never had a good result. If you have something important to say to someone, say it, because you never know when/if they'll be gone forever.

Kept my mouth shut once and lost someone twice. She's not around anymore, so I never got a third chance.

MiCkiZ88
09-09-11, 05:51
I'm still together with my first love, so.. err.. xD

Although this relationship has changed me a lot in a positive way. I've become more open, less shy and definitely more fun. Well I'm still not quite as open with other people as I would like to be and I still have problems starting a conversation, but I'm happy. Something I didn't quite expect five years ago. :p

Shark_Blade
09-09-11, 06:53
Don't take it too fast.

shebj
09-09-11, 07:03
never engage in relationship with an alcoholic; as soon you notice he drinks a lot more then the usual guy would, leave asap!

Another Lara
09-09-11, 08:17
That men are pathetic brain dead idiots who are only after one thing...

Joke! :p

That only counts for 90% of men! :rolleyes:

marceepaniq
09-09-11, 08:53
Love, love, love, what's it good for?
Absolutely nothing.

robbie_rawr
09-09-11, 09:14
Love, love, love, what's it good for?

Happiness! :D

Nenya awakens
09-09-11, 09:21
There is life after love

Autolycus
09-09-11, 09:55
I've learnt that relationships are a waste of time imo.

Jester Head
09-09-11, 10:33
A lot of negativity going around here.

Caesum
09-09-11, 10:34
Do not lend anything. To anyone.

Laras Boyfr.
09-09-11, 11:03
I never was in a serious relationship, but I learnt anyway from being close to one of them:

Dont search for a partner
If you write it in your "To-Do" list to get a partner youre playing with open cards and you lose. You wont act anymore flexible and actually wouldnt be yourself anymore. That will confuse you and other people.
There is a saying:

Searching for love is wasting of time. Instead let love search for you

Might be a little overrated but the point that you get from it is right.

Dont have a relationship for the sake of outer reasons

I had some situations where other boys bothered me because I didnt had a girlfriend,while they had.
Its annoying, but their girlfriends were very bitchy and I didnt see anything what was related with love in their relationship.
I dont want to exclude myself as "some better boy", but I take care of my relations. I never thought of getting into a relationship just for the sake of sexual contact or whatever.
Some of my older friends always say to their buddies who have a girlfriend something like: " You want to **** her right, you should do it bro"
Someone said to me that too for a girl that I really liked and she was really cute and so on and told him ti shut up saying things like that. I just think its disgusting to put phyiscal love before real love. When Im not in a relationship why should I think of sex anyway, before I get into one?
Physical contact is anyway some steps more far away in a relationship imo.

Be careful with friends that arent only friends to you

I had a friend which just break up from her boyfriend and I always helped her in every situation, when she felt sad and so on. Of course she helped me too when I needed her.
In this way we became very good friends, almost best ones.
And I really started to like her more than a friend does.
But I felt that she didn't feel the same ( also for the reason that she just broke up) so I kept my mouth shut, mainly as I didnt want to ruin our friendship.Then everything suddenly changed.
We went for three weeks on holidays in Germany and met many other people and got much more experience.
We started to talk more and be more free and open minded, especially me.
I felt for her like a real good friend and I wasnt anymore controlled by the thought that I liked her more as a friend. It all became easier after that.
Now we can talk about everything and I dont need to change myself only for her to like me. And anyway I noticed she liked me more after I was more myself. Thats why:

Be yourself

It might take more time to get into a relationship,but after it its usually worth.

Obscure
09-09-11, 11:10
What I learnt....

Love sucks.

Orionvalentine
09-09-11, 11:15
I learnt...

Not to let the cheating scumbag go out with other men. That sure was a long trip to the post office :p

Legend 4ever
09-09-11, 14:07
If I really think about it, I didn't learn anything from my past relationships. At least not something I could use in the future. It's like with giving advice to people -- you can help dozens of people with your advice, but you can never follow your own advice and make your own life better by doing so. At least that's how I seem to be.

One thing I've learned that stands out the most -- never value anyone else more than you value yourself. When I'm in love, I'm willing to do practically anything for that man, good or bad, while completely ignoring myself -- his happiness is my happiness. I would never suggest anyone be like that. It's bad for you and you'll regret it once you break up with them (and chances are you will). I've been particularly unlucky because my ex's personality was a cocktail of traits each more wonderful than the other -- he was an egomaniac, a narcissist, selfish, a leech, with a love only for himself. When I look back now, I am flabbergasted at the thought of ever having loved him.

I also learned not to expect that just because I fell in love with a certain man, there is no way he's a bad person. I used to think I only attract only men who are the best for me -- smart, handsome, generous, supportive etc. but it turned out that every man I fall in love with can only have one of those traits, never all. Still, I haven't lost my faith in men or in people in general. There are so many great people out there.

HappyShannon
09-09-11, 15:13
When I kissed my last boyfriend when I was in year 7 I got the lovely realisation, "Yep, I like girls."

Other than that... Nothing really, I haven't ever properly gone out with someone :p

Ikas90
10-09-11, 00:39
I learnt exactly what I needed to learn. For that I am very grateful.

Every "close encounter" thereafter contributed to my learning as well; the most recent being a very valuable lesson. Infact, I could almost go as far as saying that it completely changed my life. I feel like I have not only learned something valuable, but also, something amazing. I can't and won't share it.

But I've learned to appreciate and accept every experience in life, good or bad, to have happened for my own benefit. I have learned that a relationship is not something you should ever need to rely on to feel happy. If you can't be happy alone, you're not ready to let someone else in.

patriots88888
10-09-11, 01:02
Be certain to have a 2 bathroom house/apartment.

matrix54
10-09-11, 01:10
Love doesn't always love you back.
When it, eventually, does, you may not love it.

larafan25
10-09-11, 01:15
Boys stare at you, and I don't know why.

That's love....

...maybe. :/

sierra xb
10-09-11, 05:49
That only counts for 90% of men! :rolleyes:

being a little generous there, aren't you? :p

Catracoth
10-09-11, 06:12
What did I learn?

Trust no man, fear no bitch.

NRO.
10-09-11, 08:08
I never had a relationship, but I learned one thing: Stay the hell away from your computer when a person you like is around. Otherwise, you would go into some website that you're not proud of the second he walks in, giving him the impression that you're somekind of fan-fiction sex freak. Dx

SkyPuppy
10-09-11, 08:13
I never had a relationship, but I learned one thing: Stay the hell away from your computer when a person you like is around. Otherwise, you would go into some website that you're not proud of the second he walks in, giving him the impression that you're somekind of fan-fiction sex freak. Dx

what if i want him/her to have that impression about me? UNF ;D

Caesum
10-09-11, 08:41
When I kissed my last boyfriend when I was in year 7 I got the lovely realisation, "Yep, I like girls."

Other than that... Nothing really, I haven't ever properly gone out with someone :p
Sorry, but it sounds like you was comparing food. :vlol:

cezy rockeru
10-09-11, 10:22
nothing,really.

Catapharact
10-09-11, 23:23
Wow... So much negativity...

Well I don't know if I am qualified to post in this thread since my current relationship is the ONLY relationship I have ever been in (and the only one I'll ever be in.)

I have learned quite a few things... But just for the sake of simplicity (and avoiding a tl;dr scenario, I will limit it down to two points :p) :

- Quality always trumps quantity.

Thinking back during my younger years, I am actually kinda glad that I had such a cynical look at love and relationships... Because it might have been the reason why I am with such an amazing woman this day. And there is no doubt in my mind that I would have never been happy sharing my life with anyone else.

- Love sees past all barriers...

... Even the ones you yourself can't see through. My beloved seems to see qualities she adores in me that I just can't see in myself. Its like trying to stare at your proverbial back inorder to see if you are truly blessed with the dimples of Venus so to speak Lol! Maybe the qualities are there but I am certainly not convinced that I have them. But what I do know is this; While it will take me a lifetime to see myself as she sees me, the journey and the moments I share with her along the path to self-discovery are worth more than any given possession I have. She will always have the best in me. Always...

Thorir
10-09-11, 23:31
Jealous people are NOT cool. A relationship is about trust. Not phoning up every hour demanding a detailed report of what you have been doing.

Open relationships are much more fun... ;)

SkyPuppy
11-09-11, 11:00
Jealous people are NOT cool. A relationship is about trust. Not phoning up every hour demanding a detailed report of what you have been doing.

Open relationships are much more fun... ;)

you said it! :tmb: