PDA

View Full Version : Do mods monitor PM's?

leglion
08-09-11, 21:18
Do mods monitor PM's? Because that's like, an invasion of privacy and totally creepy. :pi:

larafan25
08-09-11, 21:19
No, but if they feel a need to, they can check. Supermods I think.

TombOfRaiders
Do mods monitor PM's? Because that's like, and invasion of privacy and totally creepy. :pi:

I think they only get 'involved' if a PM is reported or something along those lines... D: Could be wrong though. Idk. :o

Zelda master
I have no idea actually:p

lance6439
08-09-11, 21:24
inbeforepeoplethinklancemadethisthread
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkc345nYHq1qfy2kdo1_500.gif

And No.

moodydog
08-09-11, 21:25
I think even mods may have restrictions. I think the only person who could probably look at PM's is Justin, as he is the only one who can let us into the over 18's (which I am still waiting for his reply). But this is just a guess. I have been wondering this for a while too.

But I guess the only reason they would check our PM's is if someone sends a message which is directly threatening to the person receiving.

TRfan23
08-09-11, 21:26
Some of the Mods clearly said in a thread sometime back that they nor the Supermods nor the Admin can read your PM's ;)

Only if the PM is reported can they read it.

Edit - Reading the above post by Mr. Burns, okay Admins can under certain situations.

Mr.Burns
08-09-11, 21:26
Ex mod reporting: Nope. Admins only. And it's only done provided there is a serious security breach where authorities might be called in or if someone is using the PM system for solicitation to another site (has happened). Otherwise, you're crap is safe :p

EmeraldFields
08-09-11, 21:28
your*

http://i.imgur.com/uOJ9N.gif

moodydog
08-09-11, 21:30
Ex mod reporting: Nope. Admins only. And it's only done provided there is a serious security breach where authorities might be called in or if someone is using the PM system for solicitation to another site (has happened). Otherwise, you're crap is safe :p

great, so leglion can carry on bitching about all the mods on here. :ton:

Weemanply109
08-09-11, 21:31
Oh thank dah lawrd. If you seen my PM's with Lance and my other homegurls and boys then I'd die :vlol:

your*

http://i.imgur.com/uOJ9N.gif

Cher saves the day :whi:

lance6439
08-09-11, 21:35
Oh thank dah lawrd. If you seen my PM's with Lance and my other homegurls and boys then I'd die :vlol:

Perma ban for life.
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpoclkrroA1qi1df8o1_250.gif

leglion
08-09-11, 21:38
But what if peoples send inappropriate content through PM? How do the mods know?

TRfan23
08-09-11, 21:42
They don't so it's up to you to report it or not ;)

So tbh you can say jack all in a PM to someone, and either get away with it or not :mis:

Providing you're not PMing such crap to a Mod that is :p

But the point of a PM is that they're to be Private from anyone but the Sender and the Receiver, you may have some good friends on here of which you may want to have Private discussions with :)

lance6439
08-09-11, 21:43
But what if peoples send inappropriate content through PM? How do the mods know?

:xtina:

Its between the members.

Dark Lugia 2
08-09-11, 21:43

I dont know about the rules for this, but I think as long as the content is not illegal I think what happens in PMs is ok because they are private.

Mr.Burns
08-09-11, 21:44

There's a report PM feature along with the PM itself just like a report post. Those reported PMs go straight to the admin or super mods. In the case of this forum, since tlr online is busy as frak, the super mods are in essence: assistant admins so they get the reports as well. If the pm is of sufficient concern, then they take appropriate action which is generally done privately.

robm_2007
08-09-11, 22:02

Do you have a guilty conscience? :pi:

If it gets forwarded to a mod or admin and the admin looks into your PMs, then you get in trouble. Otherwise, it would prolly be safe to send inappropriate materials and such through PM to other members who are wanting said material.

However, I would not do that as it is against the T&C and rather creepy to use PMing to circumvent the rules.

But you are allowed to swear your tits off in PMing and even talk **** about anyone you like.

lance6439
08-09-11, 22:14
But you are allowed to swear your tits off in PMing and even talk **** about anyone you like.

Dead.
:vlol:

toxicraider
08-09-11, 22:26

Wait, is that only dodgy, illegal sites, or general spamming? Surely the latter would only be discovered by reporting?

Ward Dragon
09-09-11, 00:16
Wait, is that only dodgy, illegal sites, or general spamming? Surely the latter would only be discovered by reporting?

As far as I know, a few times in the past several spam PM's got reported that were sent by the same person so the admin simply did a mass delete of all PM's sent by that member without actually reading the individual PM's.

As I understand it, it's technically possible for the admin (and only the admin) to read PM's but it's a royal pain to do and not worth the time or effort. The feature is simply there in case something serious happens with police wanting to know something, but I don't think that's ever happened so far.

However if a PM gets reported or forwarded to a moderator then action can be taken if the PM is harassment, advertising, or something along those lines. We don't go looking through PM's on our own. We only see it if someone reports it.

Rachie737
09-09-11, 06:06
That's good, I guess. We get the best of both situations, then.

God knows what people would think if they could read my PMs. ;)

Weemanply109
09-09-11, 23:48
Perma ban for life.
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpoclkrroA1qi1df8o1_250.gif

Ikr? I'd be gone :vlol:

PM's are allowed for that reason though, I've sent some pretty durtii stuff through there :whi:

Lukass
10-09-11, 00:09
Ikr? I'd be gone :vlol:

PM's are allowed for that reason though, I've sent some pretty durtii stuff through there :whi:

So did I. I'm actually glad, mods, supermods and admins can't read them :p

Killercowz
10-09-11, 00:13
You people are dirty.

And not in the good way. trololol

Lukass
10-09-11, 01:13
You people are dirty.

And not in the good way. trololol

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lasqt7HgCe1qa7vou.gif

moodydog
10-09-11, 01:30
you, I suppose its normal to send those 'guilty' posts which you know you would probably get suspended or even banned for if you posted in the main public sections. :p

FloTheMachine
10-09-11, 02:51
Yeah, as long as you report anything you'll be fine. :)

robm_2007
10-09-11, 02:56
So did I. I'm actually glad, mods, supermods and admins can't read them :p

Well, the admins can. So if Justin wanted to, he could make a little trip to your PM box and spill the beans on your all your secrets :pi:

And subsequently ban you, pending that what you said was against T&C.

But he's not that much of an intruder I'm guessing. So unless the person who is receiving the whatever you are sending is wanting what you sent, then you should be fine.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
10-09-11, 02:57
They also watch you pee.

Sir Croft
10-09-11, 03:33
Someone's worried. :whi:

Killercowz
10-09-11, 04:09
They also watch you pee.

Oh my gosh what fun.

I hope EscondeR watches me.

!Lara Croft!
10-09-11, 04:42
They check the quantity though dont they? So if someone sends 500 PM's in a day, all the same message, then they know?

Catracoth
10-09-11, 06:13
^ Why the hell would they do that?
& who the hell does that? :confused:

KC Mraz
10-09-11, 06:17
Oh my gosh what fun.

I'm going to give you a piece of advice I've been given in the past: your avatar is unnecessary.

_Awestruck_
10-09-11, 06:17
Oh my gosh what fun.

I'm officially an epileptic now.

Catracoth
10-09-11, 06:25
I'm going to give you a piece of advice I've been given in the past: your avatar is unnecessary.

:vlol:
I've often thought the same.

No offense man, but your avatars always either disturb me or give me a headache. How about accommodating us forum goers, yeah? Upload something a bit more sightly, please.

NRO.
10-09-11, 08:01
If they did, I would've been banned a long time ago. trolololololol jk

Chocola teapot
10-09-11, 09:14
Oh my gosh, lol.

I've never thought about that.

http://i.imgur.com/09UFI.png

!Lara Croft!
10-09-11, 09:27
^ Why the hell would they do that?
& who the hell does that? :confused:

Its how Teeth was banned a couple of years back. Im wondering how they found out...

Matie
10-09-11, 09:44
Its how Teeth was banned a couple of years back. Im wondering how they found out...

I guess people reported him, he sent out over 700 PMs after all.

!Lara Croft!
10-09-11, 09:55
...but each person got 1 didnt they?

TRfan23
10-09-11, 13:34
Just to clarify, when I/you delete PM's do they get deleted in a similar manner as emptying the recycle bin on MS Windows?

jackles
10-09-11, 14:11

:)

Supermods can't.

As we have said a gazillion times....the only time we ever see any pm's are if someone reports one and quotes it. Besides we all have enough to do without worrying about peoples pm's!

Maybe if people are worried about the content of what they send people then maybe they had better make sure the recipicant is happy with them sending it!!!! People often don't complain publically but will report if unhappy.

cezy rockeru
10-09-11, 14:18
I don't think Justin cares about me so much to read my PMs. I don't PM so much anyway.

>:

larson n natla
10-09-11, 14:36
If you are concerned about mods seeing the information perhaps using a different service, or e-mail would be a better option for you?

I'm not so concerned with whether they do, or not. Although I don't think any moderator here is bored enough to go rifling through somebodies messages. :)

Summer B
10-09-11, 14:51
Do mods monitor PM's? Because that's like, an invasion of privacy and totally creepy. :pi:
Why, who have you been bullying on here? ;)

Ward Dragon
10-09-11, 23:17
...but each person got 1 didnt they?

I don't know the details of that case, so I'm going to assume Matie was right and he sent 700 PM's. If a lot of people reported the PM as advertising, and they all got the same PM, then I think it would be safe to assume he sent a lot of them out and therefore it makes sense to do a mass-delete to get rid of them all without actually sorting through his PM's.

Just to clarify, when I/you delete PM's do they get deleted in a similar manner as emptying the recycle bin on MS Windows?

I actually don't know. On the internet it's always best to assume that there's a backup of everything somewhere, and keep that in mind when trying to decide whether to send something you might regret later :o

TombRaiderLover
11-09-11, 00:32
No offense man, but your avatars always either disturb me or give me a headache. How about accommodating us forum goers, yeah? Upload something a bit more sightly, please.
Why should he? Their avatar is nothing offensive. I don't like seeing Lady Gargoyle's face all the time, but I don't tell those displaying her as their avatar to 'upload something a bit more sightly.'

Thorir
11-09-11, 00:54
Good to know only a selected few can access your private messages. ;)

TRfan23
11-09-11, 00:59
I actually don't know. On the internet it's always best to assume that there's a backup of everything somewhere, and keep that in mind when trying to decide whether to send something you might regret later :o

True, but most backups on a lot of sites afaik over long periods of time get overwritten by other backups. It does of course come down to the site's backup methods.

For example, I've deleted my Facebook account and in their T&C it does day that even though your profile is deleted it will be in previous backups but overtime they'll be erased by other backups. So I assume it'd be similar on this forum and most other sites :)
Of course it could mean that I'd have to wait 2-3 years until all backups containing my data is erased, but I have no problem with that providing such data isn't viewable by the public ;)

scoopy_loopy
11-09-11, 03:54
or if someone is using the PM system for solicitation to another site (has happened). Otherwise, you're crap is safe :p

And they need what kind of evidence before they go looking for that? :p

Ward Dragon
11-09-11, 03:58
And they need what kind of evidence before they go looking for that? :p

Like I said before, if several different people report a PM from the same person which is advertising for another site then it's probably a safe assumption that the person has sent out a lot of spam :p