PDA

View Full Version : Hair loss/ thinning

moodydog
11-09-11, 22:52
Hi, I am sure many people will be affected by this, so I created this thread for advice and support and to share stories. 1st of all, I know hair loss isn't the worst thing in the world, but I also realise that people are affected by it in different ways and everyone deals with it differently.

At 18, I have just realised the hair at the top of my head is starting to go thin, to the point you can see my scalp where my hair parts. :o
(my hair is currently shoulder length) I used to have such thick hair, my mum used to comment on how much of it I had, but now she came in today and said the opposite (which got me thinking). I generally don't want to loose it before my 20's 30's because I want to have dreadlocks, which you kinda need thicker, fuller hair for. :o But its come to realisation that if it thins, it thins... and I would be missing out on getting those dreads. My friend who is my age has a similar cut (more layered, but the same texture) has a full head of hair where you cannot see his scalp at all, makes me quite sad really. :( But I realise if its gonna happen, its gonna happen. I wouldn't mind so much in my mid 30's/ 40's... but not at youth.

Anyway, has anyone else had experience with thinning of the hair, or hair loss? How did it hit them, at what age? Did they just let it happen or did they try and prevent/ prolong it (prolong is what I may still have time to do... who can I speak to? :) )
Has anyone had any experience with hair loss reversal products... or are they all a bunch of ****? :p

So please share you stories with this taboo.

Evan C.
11-09-11, 22:58
Well, my forehead is big and I started get bald at 18 (I had curls by then), but even It was unconfortable at first because of my age, then I decided to start shaving my head because it looked way better.And even I think I look better than before, so it's not a big problem, don't worry :)

And I am about to have 22 years old, so, bald rules! :p

Miharu
11-09-11, 22:59
Oh I'm 16 and you can see my scalp, nothing to worry about too much? It depends at the rate of how much hair your losing.

Your hair does seasonally shed, my hair sheds at around summer/fall time but stays nice and thick during the winter/spring!

If that helps.

Mad Tony
11-09-11, 23:06
My hair is fine at the moment, but then again I'm only 18. A rather worrying thing about my hair is that my dad's hair started recessing when he was in his late 20s/early 30s. Eventually he just got it all shaved off, although he still has the a very fine covering of hair. What does give me hope is that his dad has perfectly fine hair and he's in his 60s. It also turns out that my dad's dad's dad (my great grandfather) was bald, so I figure it must skip a generation.

moodydog
11-09-11, 23:10
My hair is fine at the moment, but then again I'm only 18. A rather worrying thing about my hair is that my dad's hair started recessing when he was in his late 20s/early 30s. Eventually he just got it all shaved off, although he still has the a very fine covering of hair. What does give me hope is that his dad has perfectly fine hair and he's in his 60s. It also turns out that my dad's dad's dad (my great grandfather) was bald, so I figure it must skip a generation.

My dad has a bald spot, whilst my grandfather (on my mums side) has all his hair. :)
Though I am going grey like my dad (at the same age), but I am not to bothered about that. Grey is the new black. :tmb:

Miharu
11-09-11, 23:12
My dad is losing his hair but his hair started thinning at his late 30s so I have a while yet! Assuming I do start thinning (for real not just seasonally).

Mad Tony
11-09-11, 23:13
My dad has a bald spot, whilst my grandfather (on my mums side) has all his hair. :)
Though I am going grey like my dad (at the same age), but I am not to bothered about that. Grey is the new black. :tmb:I'm sorry to hear about you going gray. My hair color is brown although there is a small tuft of gray hair on the back of my head that I've had for years.

My dad is losing his hair but his hair started thinning at his late 30s so I have a while yet! Assuming I do start thinning (for real not just seasonally).You may not be doomed you know. Look at previous generations and see what happened to them.

MiCkiZ88
11-09-11, 23:19
I still have all of my hair. My dad had rather thin hair in his thirties, but my hair seems to coming from my mums side. Thick as hell and I need to thin it myself. I do use a lot of hair care products though that give extra vitality and strength. I don't think I could handle losing my hair :pi:

Also on average a healthy person can loose up to 100 strands a day without noticeable effects.

moodydog
11-09-11, 23:23
I still have all of my hair. My dad had rather thin hair in his thirties, but my hair seems to coming from my mums side. Thick as hell and I need to thin it myself. I do use a lot of hair care products though that give extra vitality and strength. I don't think I could handle losing my hair :pi:

Also on average a healthy person can loose up to 100 strands a day without noticeable effects.

I used to have to ask the hairdressers to thin mine it was soo thick. Now I am gonna have to ask him to try and do the opposite :p
What products do you use? :)
I have kinda been neglecting it upto now... when I decided to start looking after it again... strands and clunks of hair just came out by the shed-loads.

Oh I'm 16 and you can see my scalp, nothing to worry about too much? It depends at the rate of how much hair your losing.

Your hair does seasonally shed, my hair sheds at around summer/fall time but stays nice and thick during the winter/spring!

If that helps.

I hope I am same. I am not sure

Miharu
11-09-11, 23:24
I'm sorry to hear about you going gray. My hair color is brown although there is a small tuft of gray hair on the back of my head that I've had for years.

You may not be doomed you know. Look at previous generations and see what happened to them.

Well I don't know about my great grandad but my grandad is virtually bald-ish.

My mums side of the family though is different: My grandad/the men had/have very thick hair even in their 70/80s and I do have thick hair unlike my dads side of the family!

moodydog
11-09-11, 23:25
Well I don't know about my great grandad but my grandad is virtually bald-ish.

My mums side of the family though is different: My grandad/the men had/have very thick hair even in their 70/80s and I do have thick hair unlike my dads side of the family!

apparently, look at your mums dad for your hair. :)

Miharu
11-09-11, 23:27
apparently, look at your mums dad for your hair. :)

I cant he's dead. :(

(:vlol:)

And there's hardly any photos of him, but I do remember even in his last days he had the thickest hair.

MiCkiZ88
11-09-11, 23:33
I used to have to ask the hairdressers to thin mine it was soo thick. Now I am gonna have to ask him to try and do the opposite :p
What products do you use? :)
I have kinda been neglecting it upto now... when I decided to start looking after it again... strands and clunks of hair just came out by the shed-loads.

I just use store brands like L'Oréal vitality or total repair. Works fine. But I think in ten years time if I have my dads hair ill switch to more expensive brands.

moodydog
12-09-11, 00:22
I just use store brands like L'Oréal vitality or total repair. Works fine. But I think in ten years time if I have my dads hair ill switch to more expensive brands.

hmm, I might try something like that. :o

_Awestruck_
12-09-11, 00:46
I think the most shocking part of this thread is that Mad Tony is only 18.

Mind blown.

robm_2007
12-09-11, 00:51
Hair loss is typically determined by your mother's father. My mother's father was bald, like George from Seinfeld.
---
I also used to get random strands of white hairs. It was mostly noticeable if they were sitting right next to me, or if someone mentioned it. I started getting these in 7th grade, at about 12/13. I was teased and stuff, but later I actually did not care, as I was wondering what was actually embarrassing about it.

I used to sit in class and actually feel my hair and be able to distinguish which ones were grey/white from the texture and pull them out :pi: My female cousin used to also have fun looking through my hair and pulling them out XD I didnt ask her and I honestly didn't care that they were there; but one time, she got like 30 of them. It was gross :p It's not as noticeable now. I also used to pull out my hair, and have tiny patches where you could see the scalp; that, I found embarrassing. I still do it, but it's more of a stress reliever linked with my OCD, but I don't stick to one area like then, adn not as constant. I even now pull out my facial hair if it was long enough >.>
---
So my hair began thinning and receding when I was almost 19. Hair was on my pillow, or would come out in strands in the shower. It's my biggest insecurity and I worry about it all the ****ing time; now I know what women feel like when they constantly worry about how much they weigh or if they look fat :o I never used any Rogaine or anything, as it only helps stop the hair loss in the back of your head and not the hairline, rather than actually making it grow back. And I think you have to keep using it (it was discussed on The Dr Oz Show). I also didn't want to have to be seen purchasing it in a store. My hair was so beautiful, then; I thank God it didn't happen until after high school was over.
---
I'm still hoping to get a hair transplant :pi:

Quasimodo
12-09-11, 02:07
I have just realised the hair at the top of my head is starting to go thin, to the point you can see my scalp where my hair parts. :o
(my hair is currently shoulder length) I used to have such thick hair
Try parting your hair differently every now and then. If you've got long or heavy hair, the weight of it can make you part more obvious if you part your hair the same way every day.

Archetype
12-09-11, 10:00
A friend of mine cut my hair a couple of weeks ago and told me that my hair was starting to thin a bit, which alarmed me as I want to keep my hair. He told me about something called Alpecin caffine shampoo. So I bought some the same day and since I've started using it, my hair has actually looked alot thicker and it's certainly alot stronger.

Give it a go.

Dustie
12-09-11, 11:01
It was previously believed that baldness was inherited from the maternal grandfather. While there is some basis for this belief, both parents contribute to their offspring's likelihood of hair loss. Most likely, inheritance is technically "autosomal dominant with mixed penetrance".

from Wikipedia, although there is no source cited.

I'm loosing my hair pretty bad. I have been looking for solutions for the past 2 years.

My dad is bald and I was under the impression that it's always the father's fault, but I have read not long ago that going bald is actually determined from the mother's side of the family. I thought I have nothing to worry until I'm around 30, but I'm just 25 and I have already lost half of my hair on the top of my head (I haven't lost anything on the sides though, as in most cases).

Shaving my head is not an option for me, I don't want to be bald, I'm really an esthetic kind of person that would just put me down extremely to let go off my hair completely, so I want to keep them and bring them back :)

I'm using Alpecin Coffein Shampoo C1, also Sabal from Ducray, Aktiv M from Schwarzkopf and also Neril (can't remember which company). Coffee and certain palmtree oil extract (I can never remember the name of that palmtree...) apparently stop DHT (the hormone which triggers male pattern hair loss) to a certain degree, so it can halp to keep your hair for longer.
I'm also thinking about getting products from Nanogen, although it seems they have changed their offer completely - they used to offer products with a formula that was supposedly the best out there in halting DHT, but now their product descriptions say nothing about DHT, which makes me think their previous claims proved untrue... I'm still going to give them a go, considering their shampoos supposedly have no alcohol or SLS, which is a strong factor when you use a product daily on your scalp.

After that, I think the only truly valid rescue out there so far is hair transplant. It has to be done by a surgeon with proven experience and a trail of satisfaction among other patients, so if you find a good doctor you can really have your hair back. It usually takes more than just one procedure over a span of few years, for now it's the only way to bring it back for good. Not to mention the hair treatment market is yet to be truly satisfied, so new technologies will keep coming in the years to come (companies are running research on hair cloning, for example).

Some men use a drug called Propecia - it carries finasteride, which suppresses DHT to the extent where it stops affecting hair. However, this method has the side effect of causing estrogen levels (the feminine hormone, which is also present in males) to go higher and thus affect a man's body in a negative way (loss of libido, problems with erection). You can read about the use of Propecia and its side effects on Wikipedia (http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Propecia). Propecia is pretty expensive and many people buy other drugs which also carry finasteride (usually under the table), only with higher dolsage, and slice the pill at home to get the same amount as in original Propecia.
I have tried a finasteride drug and went through the 'pill slicing' routine, and it seems to have halted hair loss in a certain extent, but I started experiencing side effects some time afterwards, and so I stopped. Researchers indicate that the side effects after long-term usage of finasteride (one would have to keep taking it ever day all the time to keep the hair) might prove irreversible and I've decided that while I can get my hair back one day through a transplant (or other techniques available in near future), if I screw up my erection badly I might never get it back... better lose my hair for now and get it back later, than lose my erection forever ;)

The Great Chi
12-09-11, 11:20
The person who comes up with a genuine method of replacing hair loss will be a Billionaire overnight :D

I remember starting to get a bald patch at 32, as it was very itchy, but many years later it has not receeded too much, due to my asian ancestry.

I am in the fortunate situation to afford hair transplant surgery, if I wanted to, where folicals are inserted into your scalp, but I was put off doing it... why ?

I watched Prince Charles in a documentry a number of years ago and he had it done due to always being in the media's eye, but he said it was the most painfull thing he had ever got done, and transplanted hair only lasts for about eight years till it starts falling out again due to male hormones (male pattern baldness). So I was put off.

Anyway, I would rather hang on to my manliness, he he, and keep producing those hormones, rather than a full head of hair.

In the meantime I wait for a real cure and just keep wearing my skip hat when outside ;)

PS....A hat is necessary as when in hot weather it prevents sunburn on the scalp and when in cold weather it prevents freezing up top :D

Agent 47
12-09-11, 12:08
Going Grey i can handle and look forward to it..... going bald however just irritates me and to be honest i can't handle it.

I'm 33 and my hair is going, i'm considering wearing hats now. :( I guess it's revenge for being the only member of my family with good eyesight, everyone else requires glasses *shrugs*

Dustie
12-09-11, 12:18
I watched Prince Charles in a documentry a number of years ago and he had it done due to always being in the media's eye, but he said it was the most painfull thing he had ever got done, and transplanted hair only lasts for about eight years till it starts falling out again due to male hormones (male pattern baldness). So I was put off.

I think your information regarding hair transplants is a bit outdated. No idea about Prince Charle's case (he looks like he never had a transplant to begin with), but hair transplants are performed under partial anesthesia, akin to other cosmetic surgeries, so there is no pain. Transplanted hair doesn't fall out if it's transplanted from the right place on your scalp, where your hair is genetically resistant to male pattern baldness (for most men it's the hair on the sides, the lower areas). A screening of the patient's scalp is always made, with comparisons of other family members' cases included, to judge which hair can be transplant material. Baldness is caused by DHT to begin with, so transplanting hair which could later also fall victim to DHT would be pointless and is always avoided. Naturally, when time comes even your transplanted hair might fall out, but rather due to aging process which also can weaken hair (depending on the person), not due to DHT.

New techniques and methods are being developed for hair transplants, while some time ago they were not nearly as efficient as they are now. For example, back in the day hair would be transplanted one-by-one, giving the patient a 'doll hair' look. Now hair is transplanted in groups of 4-5, as they naturally grow on the scalp, which makes a significant difference, and gives a very natural look for the hair. Also, surgeons pay attention that the hair is transplanted properly and aligns with the rest on the scalp, completing the natural look.

Draco
12-09-11, 12:27
I think the most shocking part of this thread is that Mad Tony is only 18.

Mind blown.

Odd, I remember him claiming to be 16 when he joined.

Anyway, I have thinning hair and a slight receding hairline, it started when I was in my early twenties. I just shave my head now. If I let it go for a few days, I tend to look like Bruce Willis.

b.gluch
12-09-11, 12:28
i dont think my hair is thinning or anything... but for those who r and stuff... id say like, shave your head, cuz shaved heads are sexy :cool::cool::cool:

Dustie
12-09-11, 12:33
Shaved heads add nothing to sexyness, unless a man is hella sexy already.

I see plenty of men every day who look really, really bad because of hair loss. Every time I watch them and imagine how much better they would look (and feel) if they had all their hair. I have a friend who's bald and it really doesn't suit him. Just recently I saw a photo of him when he still had some of his hair and he looked a hundred times better.

It really is better to have the hair than not to have it. Even Bruce Willis looked way better with at least some of his hair still there (sans The Fifth Element).

klona
12-09-11, 12:38
-cries-
I don't want to become bald!
Has anyone heard of the hair powder thing? :pi:

Dustie
12-09-11, 12:51
You mean the hair in powder, from Nanogen? I saw the ads and I saw the preview video on the website. Looks very convincing, although I bet it might not look too good in real life after a few hours... I might try it one day just for the kicks though :)

moodydog
12-09-11, 13:21
i dont think my hair is thinning or anything... but for those who r and stuff... id say like, shave your head, cuz shaved heads are sexy :cool::cool::cool:

I would looks like a retarded alien if I shaved my head...
Food for thought :whi:

ultima espio
12-09-11, 13:23
My Hair falls out with the slightest breeze :o

After it gets cut, it's really thin. Than randomly thickens up:confused:

Lara Croft!
12-09-11, 13:34
There is not much to do, to stop it, but there are ways to delay it. Firstly, advise a doctor/pharmacist on buying vitamins for hair (hair & nails, these 2 always go together). Secondly, when you shower, massage your scalp with the tips of your fingers for several minutes each time. It stimulates the growth.

I myself, as a girl I don't have hair loss problems, but I would like to have longer and richer hair. I'm happy with mine, though.

Melonie Tomb Raider
12-09-11, 14:36
One of my friends is 27 and his hair recedes on the sides in the front. It's a little long in the bangs so you can't really tell unless he pushes his hair up. I oddly found it to be cute :p

Legend 4ever
12-09-11, 15:14
Girls can lose hair too. One of my best friends is 19 and you can see a lot of her scalp while standing ten feet away. I have seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp, which can cause hair loss and I have noticed a lot more hair in the drain while washing my hair, but my hair is long and thick, so it could be just normal hair fallout. I've noticed that my scalp itches a lot less since I started eating more fruits and veggies and stopped with the processed foods and too much candy.

Most people's hair starts thinning out or its texture changes over time. For example, before puberty, my hair was straight and shiny but for about five years now it's been frizzy and curly.

The Great Chi
12-09-11, 16:09
I think your information regarding hair transplants is a bit outdated. No idea about Prince Charle's case....... Also, surgeons pay attention that the hair is transplanted properly and aligns with the rest on the scalp, completing the natural look.Well thanks for that information, I cannot withstand pain, who can :D

Anyway, I am well used to how I look now after all these years, as I have grown into it, so i will just remain folically challenged and inscrutable looking :p

Los Angeles
12-09-11, 16:20
I don't really have a problem with hair loss.

I hope also not in future.

Weemanply109
12-09-11, 16:37
My dad lost most of his hair when he was younger, but when he was my age he said his hair grew fast and was really think.

Funny thing is, mine is kinda thick and it grows fast, I fear that I might start losing my hair when I turn 20 or something.. :pi:

robm_2007
12-09-11, 18:40
Shaved heads add nothing to sexyness, unless a man is hella sexy already.

I see plenty of men every day who look really, really bad because of hair loss. Every time I watch them and imagine how much better they would look (and feel) if they had all their hair. I have a friend who's bald and it really doesn't suit him. Just recently I saw a photo of him when he still had some of his hair and he looked a hundred times better.

It really is better to have the hair than not to have it. Even Bruce Willis looked way better with at least some of his hair still there (sans The Fifth Element).

Well that should boost everyone's confidence.

Weemanply109
12-09-11, 19:03
Well that should boost everyone's confidence.

ikr? I feel so much more confident about my future self :rolleyes:

Admles
12-09-11, 19:17
Hair loss is typically determined by your mother's father.

That's an old wives tale.

While baldness is genetic, it is not limited to the maternal side of the family. The hair-loss gene can come from either side. If your uncle Charlie on your father's side has a receding hairline, then chances are you might not be in the clear.

Liara
12-09-11, 19:39
Girls can lose hair too.
Ain't that the sad truth... My hair has been thinning since I started uni, so I'm pretty sure the stress is one of the causes. Thing is, no matter what products I use or what I eat, the effects seem to be pathetically minimum.

Eros5th
12-09-11, 19:55
I find it weird the hair on my head is thick but my body hair has been thinning and falling out lately :confused:

robm_2007
12-09-11, 19:57
That's an old wives tale.

I heard it from a Doctor. A famous Doctor :pi:

moodydog
13-09-11, 12:41
Girls can lose hair too. One of my best friends is 19 and you can see a lot of her scalp while standing ten feet away. I have seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp, which can cause hair loss and I have noticed a lot more hair in the drain while washing my hair, but my hair is long and thick, so it could be just normal hair fallout. I've noticed that my scalp itches a lot less since I started eating more fruits and veggies and stopped with the processed foods and too much candy.

Most people's hair starts thinning out or its texture changes over time. For example, before puberty, my hair was straight and shiny but for about five years now it's been frizzy and curly.

I used to have really straight hair... now its straight at the front... but really really bushy at the back. I have noticed a lot of hair fall out too. But I think I should look after my hair better than i do.
My cousin started loosing all his hair when he was about 22. He is about 25 now and has the granddad look... hair at the sides and back...

https://d44ytnim3cfy5.cloudfront.net/assets/1457901/view_small/7fa862ea002b0d9ea821c553d721685f.jpg?1277236408

but very shorter at the back and sides.

larson n natla
13-09-11, 15:59
The hair loss may be the cause of stress or medication that you're taking. Maybe you need to take some time to relax?

If not them you could try using caffeine shampoo, I've heard it makes hair growth faster and thicker. Try reading reviews. :)

Lara Croft!
13-09-11, 16:49
And if you're becoming bald and the all-shaved look suits you, it's the best solution.

Miharu
13-09-11, 16:58
Oh if the "mums dad" thing is true then I have nothing to worry about, as my mums dad had very thick hair, even in his 70s, even when he was going through cancer treatment his hair remained thick. It was hardly even grey it was still jet black, except for the sides which had a grey tint in them. My great uncle is the same and he's still alive, my great auntie whose still alive and in her 80s and has strong thick hair.

My dads side on the other hand: very, very thin!