PDA

View Full Version : Japan-Six Months Later

Dennis's Mom
12-09-11, 19:36
This is a neat photo spread from the Atlantic. Several photos at the beginning are "clickable" to show what the area looks like now.

It's still heart-stopping to see the amount of devastation, but it's nice to see significant progress being made in some areas.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/09/japan-earthquake-six-months-later/100146/

Spong
12-09-11, 19:38
What are the chances? I've just started watching a programme here that's marking six months since the tsunami.

igonge
12-09-11, 19:39
It's nice to see things are steadily better for those areas.

Rai
12-09-11, 21:53
Obviously still a lot to do, but it is good to see these improvements.

Love2Raid
12-09-11, 22:14
Wow, that picture with the ship still makes my jaw drop to the floor. It's such a surreal sight.

It's impressive how quick they cleaned some of the areas up, very impressive. I would not know where to start. :o

Catapharact
13-09-11, 03:33
What a resilient bunch the Japanese people are... I have so much respect for them. Disaster after disaster and they endure... Nay; They THRIVE!

They are the perfect example of the perseverance and the strength of the human spirit.

Miharu
13-09-11, 04:36
What a resilient bunch the Japanese people are... I have so much respect for them. Disaster after disaster and they endure... Nay; They THRIVE!

They are the perfect example of the perseverance and the strength of the human spirit.

Here, here!

Glad to know there getting back on track, even though there is still that needs to be done! :yah:

I had a dream last night where my house was destroyed in a tornado, it was a vivid dream like that, that made me really realise how lucky we are.

cezy rockeru
13-09-11, 11:08
Those pictures are pretty sad.

xXhayleyroxXx
13-09-11, 13:17
I watched the programme about this and it was so insightful and sad :( It shocked me that one of the mothers who lost her daughter had to dig through debris for her remains, fruitlessly as her body was washed up on shore a few months later. The children being led to the tsunami was horrific :( I cried watching it. And the radiation zone was frightening. My heart really does go out to them and I admire them for their strength.

Dennis's Mom
13-09-11, 22:44
You know, I heard a story on NPR yesterday about an unusual volunteer group who wants to work at Fukishima Nuclear Plant---senior citizens. Their idea is that their life is pretty much finished in terms of obligations (no children left to have or raise) so they're the best choice for non-heavy-lifting type duties like watching monitors in radiation zones. I find that inspiring and courageous.

xXhayleyroxXx
13-09-11, 22:45
You know, I heard a story on NPR yesterday about an unusual volunteer group who wants to work at Fukishima Nuclear Plant---senior citizens. Their idea is that their life is pretty much finished in terms of obligations (no children left to have or raise) so they're the best choice for non-heavy-lifting type duties like watching monitors in radiation zones. I find that inspiring and courageous.

Oh wow! That is indeed, very courageous <3

voltz
14-09-11, 00:54
You should look for the guy who chose to stay behind. He did this because he saw many pets, cattle, etc being left to die and couldn't help himself but to take care of them.

SirPlagueRat
14-09-11, 03:38
A lot of progress has been made, but there's still much to do.

Saman
14-09-11, 07:37

Yeah Dennis's Mom, I heard that, objectivity too much damage on that place, however earthquake is pretty normal for Japanese people, they learn to organize situation after earth quake, quickly back to normal life, even with that oval eyes, they pretty sure knows what to do :)