PDA

View Full Version : Lara as an archaeologist...

Ephemerae
13-09-11, 15:50
I can't help but think that Lara would be shunned by the greater archaeological community if she were real.

Draco
13-09-11, 16:29
She would be ostracized and no doubt considered a criminal.

TheGermanLlama
13-09-11, 16:35
I can't help but think that Lara would be shunned by the greater archaeological community if she were real.

She'd probably blame all the damages on the greedy buggers who are just out to get $$$.

Just say, "I am a Croft, I just found <insert historically important artifact> and stopped <insert antagonists> from <insert reason>." and her name is plastered on TIMES as a heroine.

Ephemerae
13-09-11, 16:37
She would be ostracized and no doubt considered a criminal. With all the damages to ancient sites and vast collection of artifacts in her home...yeah.

TheGermanLlama
13-09-11, 16:45
But would she have done all that damage if there weren't people trying to get after the treasure also?

This is how I see it:

BAD GUYS: Do whatever it takes to get the treasure! Even if you gotta destroy that really old wall with the carving of some very important dude.

LARA CROFT: I must stop them, but I will not deliberately destroy anything.

BAD GUYS: Hey! Hot chick! STOP HER!!

<big fight>

<collateral damage>

She's not trying to ruin anything.

Lara Croft!
13-09-11, 16:57
She wouldn't be officially accepted. First of all, if she were real and did all that stuff, they would have arrested her some time or other. She does a lot of breaking and entering and not just in lost ancient tombs. Nevertheless, the archaeological community, or at least a part of it, would deeply admire her and praise her for her findings, most of which, she would surely donate to museums worldwide. Females would be either jealous or aspire to become like her and male archaeologists would dream to work with her at a confined and small space. ;)

larafan25
13-09-11, 16:58

She is, or at least her father is in the TRL-TRU storyline.

She takes on that burden easily though, because she's pretty renegade.

TheGermanLlama
13-09-11, 17:29
Which could explain why she's not all protective of ancient artifacts, hmm??

Rai
13-09-11, 18:15
Old Lara was, although a great adventurer, she was basically crap as an archaeologist, the way she'd treat a place and did she ever own up to her finds so that someone could at least categorise/ do their own research for scientific/historical reasons?

The new Lara? Let's wait and see.

larafan25
13-09-11, 18:17
^If Roth is any indication, I think new Lara will be dealing in a shady business.

Rai
13-09-11, 18:22
^If Roth is any indication, I think new Lara will be dealing in a shady business.

Why so? We know that Roth isn't necessarily always straight when it comes to archaeology, but that's not to say the Endurance trip wasn't legit. It's not an indication that Lara will follow suit in his methods either. In saying that, I'd imagine with Lara's experiences on the island, when she does get around to doing some actual Tomb Raiding (in future games), she may end up with just a haphazard approach as 'old' Lara :p. But we don't know for sure yet.

Avalon SARL
13-09-11, 18:37
As an archeologist, Lara wouldbe considered a criminal and crap.

I think the new Lara and Cd's objective are to give more credit to Lara as being fierce and strong, yet responsible for her actions :)

Rai
13-09-11, 18:45
As an archeologist, Lara wouldbe considered a criminal and crap.

I think the new Lara and Cd's objective are to give more credit to Lara as being fierce and strong, yet responsible for her actions :)

Now I can agree with this. I think this is plausible and what I'm thinking.

Evan C.
13-09-11, 18:57
Well, techically she never has been an archaeologyst, just a lady that LOVES archaeology.But what she does is raiding tombs, wich is ilegal and the oposite of what archaeologyst does (She is taking a cultural element wich could contribute to society information about themselves and making it a valuable object because of the subjective/objective content)

And she never dig, so she maybe is an archaeologyst, but she used her knowledge to collect valuable objects.She is that, a tomb raider.

Avalon SARL
13-09-11, 18:58
Now I can agree with this. I think this is plausible and what I'm thinking.

Yeah, I see future Lara when going on expeditions,she might have guns, her pistols, shotgun etc... but I don't think she will be carrying rocket launchers and grenades or other destructive weapons anymore:p

That is how I see it

Evan C.
13-09-11, 19:01
Yeah, I see future Lara when going on expeditions,she might have guns, her pistols, shotgun etc... but I don't think she will be carrying rocket launchers and grenades or other destructive weapons anymore:p

That is how I see it

Am I the only one who would LOVE to see her with a group of people lying on the ground and founding information on an excavation (like objects, maps, and more real things) before going to the "adventure" wich has nothing to do with archaeology.That would add SO MUCH to the franchise, not only realism, but also a nice way of adding secondary characters and a mature approach to the serie.

Avalon SARL
13-09-11, 19:05
Am I the only one who would LOVE to see her with a group of people lying on the ground and founding information on an excavation (like objects, maps, and more real things) before going to the "adventure" wich has nothing to do with archaeology.That would add SO MUCH to the franchise, not only realism, but also a nice way of adding secondary characters and a mature approach to the serie.

That will be amazing honestly.

Especially if they plan on demonstrating Lara's life step bystep, not just jumping tenyears later then 20 years before.

I would like them to give us aneasy chronologcal order of the series.

Each series should be happenng prior to the one that comes next;
and like you said.

Actually something like that has been demonstrated in TRL Peru, but not given that much emphasis.

Romantics Inc.
13-09-11, 19:10
She is a "Tomb Raider." More like saying that she is a high class bandit!

LNSNHGTDS
13-09-11, 19:11
Although she's not exactly an archaeologist but a Tomb Raider/Treasure Hunter she has obviously studied archaeology but all of her methods of exploring tombs and getting what she wants from them have been badly critisized by other archaeologists(as said in her old Crystal D. bio) but since they have no proof she makes her lawyers give false statements saying that all these are lies, however if these other archaeologists had played the games they would know...

If archaeology was her real job then she should have been fired. I mean she takes up relics and artefacts without informing anyone(at least not before the artefacts reach Croft manor) about it, moves, demolishes etc. ancient buildings to get stupid medipacks or kill bad guys or just push on so yeah, she sucks as an archaeologist :p .

KC Mraz
13-09-11, 19:21
About as good as Al Capone would be a respectable businessman.

Not very.

TheGermanLlama
13-09-11, 19:23
About as good as Al Capone would be a respectable businessman.

Not very.

Good post.

Yeah, IRL, she'd be a horrible archaeologist.