PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8

moodydog
15-09-11, 20:53
Hi, I have just downloaded Windows 8 (Developer) and I must say I find it all really confusing. Its like they have tried to simplify everything down (mainly just big colourful screens and xbox360'alised it all) but went crazy with all the new features. Once I open a program, I can't for the life of me work out how to close it down again. Its even harder to just simply go onto everyday tools like 'Computer', 'System and Performance' 'My Documents' ect...

I like the fact that they are going for the stylish look of the 360 start-up screen, but they have by no means simplified anything down. They have just changed how it looks and added new windows/ screens.

What does anyone else think of it? :o

Caesum
15-09-11, 21:15
I haven't used it so far, but from what you say it seems that it is another graphical tuning like Windows 7 compared to Vista. The main thing I'm wondering though is how CD/DVD driver works with windows. In my case when I have broken disc in driver then whole windows just freezes(well, I can move mouse, but I cannot do anything). Can you check how's this time? And can you add some screenshots from programs like notepad or paint as well? :D

moodydog
15-09-11, 22:29
I haven't used it so far, but from what you say it seems that it is another graphical tuning like Windows 7 compared to Vista. The main thing I'm wondering though is how CD/DVD driver works with windows. In my case when I have broken disc in driver then whole windows just freezes(well, I can move mouse, but I cannot do anything). Can you check how's this time? And can you add some screenshots from programs like notepad or paint as well? :D

sure (i have a dual boot feature so I am still using windows 7)

Encore
15-09-11, 23:09

Are you seriously suggesting that Windows 7 has no performance improvements over Vista???? D:

Weemanply109
15-09-11, 23:10
I looks amazing so far tbh. The new touch interface is optional and you can still use the traditional desktop UI.

Finally, they actually updated the BSOD. AFTER SOO MANY YEARS :vlol:

Are you seriously suggesting that Windows 7 has no performance improvements over Vista???? D:

If that is what he is insinuating then he has no clue about Windows in general. :rolleyes:

Caesum
15-09-11, 23:10
Except this and some little tweaks there's nothing new, really. And performance improvement actually should be applied to the Vista as a service pack and not another windows.

Weemanply109
15-09-11, 23:11
Except this and some little tweaks there's nothing new, really. And performance improvement actually should be applied to the Vista as a service pack and not another windows.

Really? Really? :ohn: I respect your opinion, but I strongly disagree.

Caesum
15-09-11, 23:14
Explain me then why.

Encore
15-09-11, 23:16
Explain me then why.

Er...... What exactly have you done with both Vista and 7 to base your conclusions on??? Seems to me that if you had actually worked with both, what we're saying would need no further explanation.... Vista was a bulky, messy resource hog, 7 is much more optimized in every way.

Caesum
15-09-11, 23:20
I've been working on windows vista two years and on windows 7 at least one. And yes, you're right, windows 7 is that optimized that it is actually possible to work on it with some kind of comfort, though it's still an optimized Windows Vista. It should have been added as an update and not another system, because there's nothing new compared to differences between older systems.

Encore
15-09-11, 23:21
though it's still an optimized Windows Vista. Just.

Of course it is, but that's quite different from saying it was just a graphical optimization (your first post), when clearly it was more than that.

Caesum
15-09-11, 23:22
Then I should say it has nothing new at all, just an optimized Vista.

Encore
15-09-11, 23:26
Personally, I don't mind that every new OS is just an optimization of the previous one, because I think Windows XP in its core was the best OS Windows made, and anything that just improves and builds from there is better than just revolutionizing everything and ending up with a crappy product.

Caesum
15-09-11, 23:30
I don't mind it either of course, It's always good to see something improved compared to the older one. The thing though is that moodydog have said that in windows 8 except changed interface there's nothing groundbreaking so far and that's wondering. I mean, our old windows interface was with us from 1998 so why there's a need to change it now if it seems that except this there's no big change?

Draco
15-09-11, 23:37
Personally, I don't mind that every new OS is just an optimization of the previous one, because I think Windows XP in its core was the best OS Windows made, and anything that just improves and builds from there is better than just revolutionizing everything and ending up with a crappy product.

XP with the Aston shell is just about perfect. I recently reverted back to XP Pro on my laptop and couldn't be happier.

Caesum
15-09-11, 23:41
I'd love to use Windows XP again. :D Unfortunately in my case I have a big slowdown in games compared to Vista/7. :(

Weemanply109
15-09-11, 23:41
I hate XP :vlol: Well, it's horrible for todays standards imo. I cannot go back to it without wanting to bash my head off the wall :p

I love Windows 7, I cannot leave it :o I still have to use XP occasionally because we have an old PC with it installed for my little brother to use for his games :p (Sometimes I have to fix some issues and such)

jajay119
16-09-11, 00:16
I'm looking forward to Windows 8, I think it looks really good and very streamlined compared to previous versions. I'm bored of Xp now, while I agree it functions best out of all the OSs MS offer, I'd like a more simplified OS akin to what MACs offer which I think Windows 8 could do: providing they don't over complicate it.

Carbon
16-09-11, 13:23
Apple's new OS (Lion) has dissapointed me as well, now I can't choose sides anymore :(

Still Apple :P

Cochrane
16-09-11, 15:13
I am a Mac user, but I think it's very interesting to see what Windows does and how it differs (at times strongly) from Apple's approach. I haven't played with W8 yet, but I do like the Metro look. But looking at my iPad (on which I'm typing this), I don't think it would be improved by having either the normal Windows or Mac desktop as well. I'm not sure it's a good idea for Microsoft to have both in the same Windows product. That only leads to annoying compromises.

Zelda master
16-09-11, 16:30
Still haven't got a new HDD for 8 yet, to bad I really want to get rid of Vista, but as long as it isn't a final version i'm not taking risks of deleting Vista and then having that bite me in my ass later on...

Caesum
22-09-11, 17:07
I've just installed Win8 on Oracle VirtualPC and though it's quite clumsy(because of lack of display drivers, completely understandable in case of the emulator) I can see it in it's full glory.
What I like in is that IE10 looks incredibly simple, it's really ideal for brainwashed people like me. Also I kinda like it's new menu, the old one was always filled with trash and this one is simple and beautiful.
I don't like though that the new interface is actually just a bit tweaked menu and some programs(btw, how can I actually close them?). It's understandable, cause Windows old interface is perfect, but still.

Drone
05-10-11, 18:02
I was crazy enough to install it on my main work machine. However ... I don't regret. No bugs glitches whatsoever. MS is definitely not going to repeat vista error

Draco
05-10-11, 18:10
Vista was the repeat Vista error...

lara c. fan
05-10-11, 18:16
I have it installed on a second partition. Gotta admit, I hated Metro's guts at first, but it kinda grew on me.
My only problem is that some apps don't run. Stuff like Freemake Video Converter won't open, for example. Freemake products are, admittedly, the only programs that have done this, though. And I can just boot back into Windows 7 if they're needed.

Also, quick aside, Metro apps (Like IE 10) get suspended when you don't have them on screen, so they don't really take up many resources.

klona
05-10-11, 18:30
Finally, they actually updated the BSOD. AFTER SOO MANY YEARS :vlol:

:rolleyes: It's kind of cute actually.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/9a/Bsod.png/800px-Bsod.png

Drone
05-10-11, 18:35

Actually it's much better than old annoying bsod with gibberish numbers and letters. The new one just shows the actual error

tlr online
05-10-11, 18:38
I disabled the new Metro interface as soon as I booted.

tomekkobialka
05-10-11, 18:40

That's such a clever idea! :eek: I haven't installed Windows 8 test on my computer as of yet, but I will definitely be acquiring it in the future! ;)

Zelda master
05-10-11, 18:42
Come on the new BSOD is nice, it's funnier then the Mac OS one, and it's easier to understand when it comes to the old windows BSOD's... Although I will miss the old one :p

lara c. fan
05-10-11, 18:43
I disabled the new Metro interface as soon as I booted.

Give it a decent go before you become staunchly against it. :p

tomekkobialka
05-10-11, 18:43
The new BSOD doesn't look so intimidating anymore! :vlol:

Drone
05-10-11, 18:47
I don't like metro control panel but I like metro IE. It's kinda lush and crispy.

klona
06-10-11, 12:49
I want the Windows 9 BSOD to be something like that youtube error... :pi:
PS. Where can i download Windows 8?

MyRaider4Life
06-10-11, 12:51
Where can i download Windows 8?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

:)

Sir Croft
06-10-11, 12:58
I'll wait a little longer before I try this one, but it looks promising.

klona
06-10-11, 15:45
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

:)

Thank you very much. :hug:

Zelda master
06-10-11, 19:50
One tip though, install it on a a seperate partion on your HDD. Just incase something goes horibly wrong :p

Carbon
07-10-11, 12:56
Come on the new BSOD is nice, it's funnier then the Mac OS one, and it's easier to understand when it comes to the old windows BSOD's... Although I will miss the old one :p

Kernel panics (Which is what the BSOD kind of is) aren't funny... Thus the Macintosh version gets across the point (And isn't a BSOD either, since you made that mistake in your post).

scoopy_loopy
07-10-11, 13:41
Wait, windows 8? Already? I only just got 7. D: It feels like we had XP for ages, why are Microsoft pushing so many damn os now? :(

KIKO
07-10-11, 14:08
I think I've had Windows 7 for about 2 years. And then there was Vista. Not really a short time if you ask me :p

Drone
07-10-11, 14:55
If something has to change then it always will. W8 is much faster than 7 so it's darn good.

klona
07-10-11, 15:08
One tip though, install it on a a seperate partion on your HDD. Just incase something goes horibly wrong :p

You know what...
I'm not going to download it. :rolleyes:
-le cancel-

Draco
07-10-11, 16:52
You know what...
I'm not going to download it. :rolleyes:
-le cancel-

Eh...why?

Its good advice for any OS test.

motoleo
30-11-12, 18:53
Windows 8 is the reason I switched to Mac and I must say I do not regret it in the least.

Have you seen the W8 Pro Surface tablet? Thick, expensive, small storage, and only 3 hours of battery life.

tsk tsk tsk

Weemanply109
30-11-12, 20:10
I'm still stuck on whether or not the upgrade is worth it. The fact that some of the OS has forced features is not cute.

motoleo
30-11-12, 20:19
Hell No. Windows 8 is too simplistic, the design is ugly, it's strained and it has no ecosystem. I can't be switching around tiles all day and there's too many settings. Meanwhile, you can't even set your own wallpaper.

Cochrane
30-11-12, 20:25
I've got Windows 8 running in a virtual machine on my Mac, to check it out (I get it for free from my university). And it really confuses the hell out of me. If it was all Metro, it would be a competent tablet operating system). If it were just the non-metro part, I'd say it was a completely boring update of Windows 7, and good enough for desktops for people who can't afford a Mac. But the mixture between the two is what makes it stand out, and not in a good way.

First of all, I hate that I have to use Metro as an application launcher. It sure looks pretty, but I've got a 27" screen here, and making everything so large that I can read it without glasses from across the room is not an efficient use of that real estate. Metro is also very poorly optimized for mouse and keyboard usage. Many things require mouse gestures (so there's no way to discover them organically), and I haven't really figured out how to get the address bar on IE to reappear once it has disappeared (I don't care, though). But if I want to do something more interesting, Metro disappears, and I'm back in the normal Windows world, which is rather confusing and not useable with a touch interface.

Personally, I find this very sad. I'm not switching away from Apple no matter what, but I'd really prefer if Microsoft had a credible alternative, so that Apple had a reason to improve things more. As it is, there are pieces of brilliance in there, but the overall impression and usage is too damn broken. So the position as "other" tablet/phone OS will probably remain with Android, which is all extremely mediocre, but at least consistently mediocre. And for desktop computers, no part of Windows 8 is an improvement over Windows 7 (I don't get the impression that it's trying to be either).

tr fan 4 ever
30-11-12, 20:35
The only thing I like about Windows 8 is its commercial song. :D

TRfan23
30-11-12, 20:36
Sticking with Windows 7, I'd much prefer it if they shoved all the performance and security improvements in 8 into a Service Pack for 7.

But that's never going to happen :p

motoleo
30-11-12, 20:39
When I got my Mac, I was amazed at how magical it was. How does it only take an hour to charge, yet it lasts for seven hours?

I wanted to stay with Windows 7, but my laptop after one year completely died on me. Literally died on me.

And I'm glad it did. But honestly I don't like sticking with old software like that., so converting was a must.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
30-11-12, 20:41
I messed around with it a little bit on a PC at Costco. What little I saw wasn't enough to make me want to give up Windows 7. But apparently there are a bunch of under-the-hood improvements like:

- Faster start-up and shutdown
- Improved Security
- Improved Task Manager
- Reset & Refresh

Those are pretty cool for me. It's also supposed to make better use of multiple core processors. Would be interested to see how my i7-3930k runs on it...

TRfan23
30-11-12, 20:43
How is there no fan??

If only Apple really did that to all their MACs, no fans whatsoever. Not even for the CPU :mis:

motoleo
30-11-12, 20:45
I really couldn't figure out what to do on Windows 8. I mean, what did it have, Skype. And I think that's it. It was really really boring.

Weemanply109
30-11-12, 20:48
I actually kinda like the metro interface to an extent and probably wouldn't mind it, also let's not forget that there probably is already third-party modifications that remove it and return the start menu for those who aren't keen on it.

I like the sound of the performance improvements.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
30-11-12, 20:49
When I got my Mac, I was amazed at how magical it was. How does it only take an hour to charge, yet it lasts for seven hours?

How does does the backlit keyboard automatically know when to turn on, it's always there when you need it and never there when you don't. A very simple algorithm, undoubtedly

How does it work so well with all of my other mobile devices? If they made those mobile devices, it makes sense

How is the trackpad so responsive it's like I'm fully immersed in my content. I'll give you that one

How is it that it's so thin and light?? PC's have ultrabooks as well

How is there no fan?? By allowing the chassis to get extremely hot

Coming from Windows to Mac, I almost faints because I can't believe what I've been putting up with all my life.

I have a few questions:

- Why is it they've begun soldering RAM into their laptops?
- Why do upgrades of any kind cost five times what they should?
- Why does Apple go out of their way to obsolete fairly new hardware?

I understand you've already drank the cool aid... But You'd have to be blind not to admit that Apple has become absolutely ruthless when it comes to screwing customers out of money when they really don't need to.

Cochrane
30-11-12, 20:57
Why does Apple go out of their way to obsolete fairly new hardware?

I'll concede the points about RAM and upgrade prices, but I do wonder what exactly you mean with this point. Apple is actually very good when it comes to delivering software updates for products they no longer make. There's probably no beating Microsoft for backwards compatibility of operating systems, but consumer software and mobile devices are supported far longer than any competitor would.

As for your replies to motoleo's post (which seems to have been edited in the meantime): Sure, a lot of things are easier for Apple than for others. Doesn't change the fact that Apple is the only who gets these things right. As for Ultrabooks, always remember that the first Ultrabook was the MacBook Air. Sure, others have copied it since, but that doesn't really mean a lot.

The issue with the chassis getting extremely hot is much better in the modern MacBook Pro, and was never really present in any of the other laptop lines (at least in my personal experience).

TRfan23
30-11-12, 21:01
I'm actually wondering, how come the majority of Software is compatible and mostly programmed for MS Windows over OS X?

What is the actual reason for this? Is it easier to program software for Windows than OS X?

I'm referring to way back when these OS' were first developed, why and how did MS Windows become the primarily used OS?

Cochrane
30-11-12, 21:08
I'm actually wondering, how come the majority of Software is compatible and mostly programmed for MS Windows over iOS?

What is the actual reason for this? Is it easier to program software for Windows than iOS?

First of all, iOS is only the mobile system. The desktop version is Mac OS X, recently shorted to OS X.

No, nothing like that. If anything, programming for OS X is a lot more fun. It's a simple issue of market demand: If you develop your software for Windows, more people will be able to buy it, so most developers develop for Windows first. And while a lot of well-known software is available for both systems (Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office), most companies don't want the bother of porting or developing for both.

The market is actually a bit more complicated than that. The general belief is that Mac users are more willing to pay money for shareware than Windows users, so if you plan to develop relatively small tools and sell them yourself, the Mac may be a better choice (the Windows app store could change this. We'll have to wait and see). After all, Mac users have on average more money than Windows users. On the other hand, there is almost no market for games on Macs. All Mac users interested in games either have a console or dual-boot to Windows anyway. So except for the very biggest names, few games get Mac versions.

Edit to add: I just saw this.I'm referring to way back when these OS' were first developed, why and how did MS Windows become the primarily used OS?
That actually predates the development of both the Mac and of Windows. During the time when Microsoft was only selling DOS and Apple was selling mostly Apple IIs, Apple had more market share. Then Apple introduced the Macintosh, a revolutionary yada yada yada that couldn't run applications for Apple II. It was not just binary incompatible; there was no way to port an Apple II application to a Mac. This was intentional, since Apple wanted only modern graphical applications on the new computer. But as a result, people with Apple II who wanted to upgrade had no particular reason to go for the expensive Macintosh.

With Windows, it was a different story: Windows always could run DOS applications; its first use was really to make DOS nicer to use. So someone with a lot of investment in DOS would choose Windows when upgrading to graphical operating systems. This was the most prevalent among companies who wanted to protect their investment in custom apps. The fact that PCs were (and still are) a lot cheaper than Macs also helped. For this reason, Macs have never even come close to the PCs market share. All other competitors (and there were quite a few) ultimately failed. A better question might be why Apple happened to survive. Most of that was probably since it had managed to become too big enough to fail very quickly by the time Windows became a real issue.

Macs still had a lot of advantages over PCs, but those disappeared one by one as Windows caught up (in particular Windows 95 was a huge step that made Windows PCs as easy to use as Macs of its generation). Apple tried to focus on the high end of the market, where the huge margins were, at a time when PCs were becoming commodity items sold at supermarkets. Attempts to license Mac OS to third parties to make their own Mac-compatible computers (known as "clones") fell flat. Apple had hoped that they would sell the cheap stuff, but instead these clone makers went after the high end, selling computers more powerful than those Apple had to offer.

Finally, Apple was unable to offer a compelling product. They had very serious issues selling attractive hardware, since IBM and Motorola (now Freescale) weren't able to evolve the PowerPC chip line as quickly as Intel (and for some parts of history AMD) did. At the same time, the classic Mac OS was really starting to show its age - you had to manually assign each application how much RAM it was able to use, for example. Apple's attempts to produce a new one all failed, until they finally bought NeXT, a company founded by Steve Jobs after he had left Apple, and used their OS instead. In the late 1990s, a lot of people switched from Macs to Windows for these reasons, and there was real doubt whether Apple would survive.

Of course, in the end they did, in parts thanks to Microsoft helping - and not in any ironic sense, Microsoft paid real money to keep Apple alive. And while there have been a lot of ups and downs until the introduction of the iPod, Apple is growing much faster than the rest of the PC market now. Its market share is only going up, and it's got the possibly very important tablet market all to itself (and on tablets and phones, developers are still developing for iOS first). But all the programs written for Windows and all the PCs sold aren't going anywhere, and I don't think Apple can (or particularly wants to) overtake them anymore.

motoleo
30-11-12, 21:13
I think the boat is going to shift. After Windows 8, most people will now be using Macs. More and more people already are, It's a fact.

People say they're expensive, but once you've decided that you want one, it's not expensive at all. They are priced at what they're worth.

True luxury.

MrJavi94
30-11-12, 21:19
I don't like Windows 8 either. That's why I'm still with Windows 7, which is pretty simple, easy and comfortable. :)

Sgt BOMBULOUS
30-11-12, 21:19
I think the boat is going to shift. After Windows 8, most people will now be using Macs. More and more people already are, It's a fact.

People say they're expensive, but once you've decided that you want one, it's not expensive at all. They are priced at what they're worth.

True luxury.

Windows PC's still account for 78% of all computers. I think you have a long wait ahead of you.

Cochrane
30-11-12, 21:31
Nah, I don't think so. Apple's market share is going to grow, but a lot of PCs are used in businesses, a market where Apple has almost no presence - their server and remote management offerings are a poor joke compared to Microsoft's, for example.

Similarly, a lot of PCs sold are in the "crappy" range. Huge desktops with howling fans for less than $500, laptops with a battery life of two hours if you're careful and a weight of five kilograms, stuff like that. Most of the people buying these computers would probably be happier if they paid twice for a real computer (even it's running Windows), but they'll probably not realize that any time soon. Apple has never had any interest in serving that market segment.

I think Apple has a very good position to take a leadership role if we're truly moving to a Post-PC world, as it's so frequently called. Personally, I think tablets are additions to a real computer, not replacements, but then, I also think that consoles can't replace a real computer for gaming, but apparently most people and sales data disagree with me there.

True luxury.
I agree with that.

motoleo
30-11-12, 21:32
Not really. Because Windows laptops, (I have a thing against plastic laptops) don't last that long. And once they break, you're going to have an interesting choice before you.

You can't stay on Windows 7 forever, and you don't want to upgrade to Windows 8.

Come to Mac.

The grass really is greener on the other side.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
30-11-12, 21:34
Isn't a tablet all the average PC user actually needs? I mean, most people just surf the web and upload [crappy cell phone] pictures.

Cochrane
30-11-12, 21:35
Not really. Because Windows laptops, (I have a thing against plastic laptops) don't last that long. And once they break, you're going to have an interesting choice before you.

You can't stay on Windows 7 forever, and you don't want to upgrade to Windows 8.

Come to Mac.

That grass really is greener on the other side.

But even ignoring all the business side: A lot of people think "I don't use a computer that often, so I should get the cheapest one I can". That's a dramatic mistake; if you don't use a computer often, you should clearly take one where you don't have to do a lot of learning and maintenance, i.e. a more expensive Mac. But people keep making that mistake and will keep making that mistake.

If ten people break their sub-$500 laptop, then maybe two of them will say "okay, I should get a more expensive one next time, so it won't break on me again". The rest will all say "Time to buy the next sub-$500 POS laptop!"

Isn't a tablet all the average PC user actually needs? I mean, most people just surf the web and upload [crappy cell phone] pictures.
That's probably true.

patriots88888
30-11-12, 21:42

I can't say forever but I'm doing just fine for the time being with XP. It does its job and I imagine 7 does and will continue to for quite some time as well.

Windows upgrades aren't always upgrades... Vista speaks to that. xD

Sgt BOMBULOUS
30-11-12, 21:45

Come to Mac.

The grass really is greener on the other side.

This reminds me of the old "Lipstick on a pig" expression. Just because you stick hardware inside an aluminum frame doesn't make it superior. My cousin had the screen on his macbook crap out after only 2 years.

Dark Lugia 2
30-11-12, 21:46
The only thing I like about Windows 8 is its commercial song. :D

Same, I really want to know what the song is! :p

Weemanply109
30-11-12, 23:18

True luxury.

I really don't think so. Plus, like aforementioned the majority of computers are running on Windows, that will be a long time before Mac ever comes prominent if ever.

motoleo
30-11-12, 23:26
It's already prominent.

It's like the 99% vs the 1%

If you have a Mac, you already know you have the top of the line. That's why most Hollywood movies, TV commercials, video games, albums, basically all consumable media is produced on a Mac.

Weemanply109
30-11-12, 23:29
Mac is overpriced. I'd rather just have a top end PC, tbh.

Draco
30-11-12, 23:34
Windows 8 is the reason I switched to Mac and I must say I do not regret it in the least.

That makes no sense.

motoleo
30-11-12, 23:34
I said the same thing for so long. I even have a picture of myself when I was Windows, (last week) to now.

The way I describe Macs, majestic. Ask me any question. I'll tell you why I made the switch.

lara c. fan
01-12-12, 01:23
It's already prominent.

If you have a Mac, you already know you have the top of the line. That's why most Hollywood movies, TV commercials, video games, albums, basically all consumable media is produced on a Mac.

This makes no sense. :')

Also, ironic that you claim most games are made on Macs, yet comparatively very, VERY few games have Mac versions. :p

Weemanply109
01-12-12, 01:27
Yea, I wasn't sure about that according to him "video games are produced on Mac" - which I'm not even sure if it's true, but why does it really matter if there virtually is no games available for Macs to play besides a very few. Mac doesn't offer much for gamers.

Denis
01-12-12, 02:06
as for my opinion, im having windows 7 professional and i can say that im very happy with them.
windows has been in the world since very very long ago that's why i trust them.
plus these new so called companies will never make me purchase their operating systems just because i dont like them.
you can like your operating systems but it doesn't mean that windows are bad just because u guys have other operating systems.

ps. windows rule!

Sir Croft
01-12-12, 02:38
It's already prominent.

That must be why almost every game runs on Microsoft tech. Which completely kills your statement, since devs would certainly use tech that is compatible with the majority.

Chug a Bug
09-12-12, 19:20
Windows 8 is fine for what its designed for, i.e. tablets and smartphones. For Desktop PC's its a disaster, basically Microsoft have decided, for better or for worse, the future is Tablets.

Which is probably true. However, thats no excuse to hang existing desktop PC owners out to dry. Basically W8 treats Desktop PC's as legacy devices, with a crippled desktop environment thrown in as an afterthought - much like the Cmd prompt for legacy DOS applications. Cross platform is a good idea but not at the expense of losing the flexibility of the full Desktop environment. Create a special version for Desktop PC's much like there are separate versions for tablets and smartphones, each tailored for the specific needs of each. Microsoft's arrogance with regard to Desktop PC's is staggering.

For now and into the foreseeable future, or at least until MS sees sense, it's Windows 7 all the way for this desktop PC user.

I agree with these reviews:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2013326/the-windows-8-ecosystem-5-best-and-5-worst-features.html?page=2
http://www.pcgamesn.com/article/why-i-m-uninstalling-windows-8
http://venturebeat.com/2012/08/21/windows-8-terrible-desktops/#s:win-8-start-2

Cochrane
09-12-12, 19:27
Chug a Bug, I disagree partially: I don't think Windows 8 is actually a good idea for tablets. There are too many things for which you have to use the normal desktop view, and that view is not suitable to tablet use at all.

For example, the Explorer: Most touch targets are way too small. Apple and Google both recommend something around 40 pixels as the minimum size for a touch target, of course depending on the hardware in question. Microsoft has a lot that don't reach 20 pixels in height. Those require a stylus.

It would have been acceptable (for tablets) not to have an Explorer at all (neither iOS nor Android do, after all). But if there is one, then users will expect that developers allow them to save everywhere, developers will provide it, and when the users searches for their files, they'll get frustrated. It's half-donkey solution.

The same thing goes for all system preferences. And of course, it goes for all classic Windows apps that run on x86 Surface tablets, and Office, the one big selling point.

A system that's just Metro, like Windows Phone 7 or 8, might have been great. But this mixture of the two isn't good for desktops and it isn't good for tablets.

Chug a Bug
09-12-12, 19:36
You've got me there, I havn't actually tried it on a tablet, I was making an assumption... good catch.

Larua croft
09-12-12, 19:45
windows 8 is ****

Draco
09-12-12, 20:08
I bought Windows 7 yesterday to make sure I'd have it. It only took a minute using Windows 8 to be tired of it.

Dark_Messiah
09-12-12, 20:10
I am using Win 8 and I didnt really have any problems with it.
Also, it feels just like Windows 7 if you ignore the Metro Interface (You can actually download a small software that lets you boot directly to the desktop without going through Metro).

It has some good improvements to Win 7 (better task manager, better dual monitor support etc) but I wouldnt recommend anyone on 7 to upgrade. Just not necessary.

If you buy a new PC, sure. Win 8 can be on it. People made it look worse than it is. But if you already have Win 7 you should skip Win 8

Dustie
10-12-12, 13:55
I haven't used Windows 8, but judging from the looks of it, I wish Microsoft applied Metro stylisation to the whole interface, instead mixing Metro screens and areas with slightly modified Vista/7/Areo look, it seems to be a bit of a mess... I think visuals-wise there's so much potential in Metro, I love the plain color approach (instead of transparency+shading of Vista/7) and they could have redesigned Windows GUI to look radically different from anything before. Maybe they will do it in later iterations, once people get used to Metro...

motoleo
10-12-12, 14:02
I don't like w8 because the plain desktop experience is replaced by a tablet experience. That will never work for me.