PDA

View Full Version : should we get a life?

never_the_same
21-09-11, 08:51
how much time do you guys spend on your computer?
do you play games for hours, or prefer to do something more useful for your life? :)))))

Changeling
21-09-11, 08:56
Before College started, I was on it almost all the time I was home - mainly because it was the only thing to do besides meet up with friends. But I've become less attached to it now that I have better things to do.

EscondeR
21-09-11, 08:57
Is that question pure rhetoric? I mean asked on an Internet forum dedicated to a game series... C'mon :D

As for the serious part of the post: Dunno about others, but I get so much life sometimes, that it's a relief to visit this place... even with all those drama strikes which happen from time to time :)

Draco
21-09-11, 09:02
In the not too distant future, it will all be indistinguishable.

Liara
21-09-11, 09:03
I prefer to stand by the quote that says "time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time". I'd much rather stay in front of the computer and do things I enjoy like writing and reading than go out and hang around uncomfortably at a gathering/party or what have you. And since I have no plans to start a family I can pretty much spend most of my time at home either wasting time or struggling to study Italian.

If my cats didn't need food and attention I'm pretty sure I would be on the computer all day. :D /crazycatlady

never_the_same
21-09-11, 09:16
I prefer to stand by the quote that says "time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time". I'd much rather stay in front of the computer and do things I enjoy like writing and reading than go out and hang around uncomfortably at a gathering/party or what have you. And since I have no plans to start a family I can pretty much spend most of my time at home either wasting time or struggling to study Italian.

If my cats didn't need food and attention I'm pretty sure I would be on the computer all day. :D /crazycatlady

i can smell kindness and nice spirit from you :))))
for sure time that you enjoy is not wasted :)))

TRNation
21-09-11, 09:34
Yes, I need a life. :D

Spong
21-09-11, 09:46
do you play games for hours, or prefer to do something more useful for your life? :)))))

Who's to judge what's useful or not? It's down to the individual's choice, isn't it? It's not for anyone else to comment on.

!Lara Croft!
21-09-11, 10:05
I have a life...infact i have hundreds of lives. Im a gamer.

never_the_same
21-09-11, 10:06
Who's to judge what's useful or not? It's down to the individual's choice, isn't it? It's not for anyone else to comment on.

i didnt say say that time on computer is wasted or useless. you judged it wrong because i wrote "do you prefer doing something MORE useful" or so.

so there, just read more careful and you will understand, old man

Spong
21-09-11, 10:20
i didnt say say that time on computer is wasted or useless. you judged it wrong because i wrote "do you prefer doing something MORE useful" or so.

so there, just read more careful and you will understand, old man

And by saying "more useful" in the context of a question, you're implying that our time on a PC/playing games can be spent doing something which, in your opinion, is more useful. I stand by what I said, it's not for anyone to dictate to others what is "more useful" or not. It's entirely up to the individual. Had you just said "do you think you should be doing something else?", then there would've been no cause for me to say what I did. Little boy (or girl) :p

never_the_same
21-09-11, 10:27
And by saying "more useful" in the context of a question, you're implying that our time on a PC/playing games can be spent doing something which, in your opinion, is more useful. I stand by what I said, it's not for anyone to dictate to others what is "more useful" or not. It's entirely up to the individual. Had you just said "do you think you should be doing something else?", then there would've been no cause for me to say what I did. Little boy (or girl) :p

than sit, old man, maybe being here is "more useful" to you, than doing something "more useful"... you are so much like jesus, and thats good :P

Spong
21-09-11, 10:33
than sit, old man, maybe being here is "more useful" to you, than doing something "more useful"... you are so much like jesus, and thats good :P

LOL, that doesn't even make sense :p
And what's with the "old man" comments? I might be a thirteen year-old girl for all you know :pi:

To be honest, how someone spends their time isn't really about whether or not it's useful. As Liara said, something you agreed with, it's about whether or not we enjoy doing whatever it is we do. That's all that matters, isn't it?

never_the_same
21-09-11, 10:42
LOL, that doesn't even make sense :p
And what's with the "old man" comments? I might be a thirteen year-old girl for all you know :pi:

To be honest, how someone spends their time isn't really about whether or not it's useful. As Liara said, something you agreed with, it's about whether or not we enjoy doing whatever it is we do. That's all that matters, isn't it?

hey old man, i never said that being on computer is useless.
you just took this thread too personal... and thats your problem, if you see yourself in it as useless. but you dont have to defend yourself.
so maybe you shouldnt bother me or quote me for that. i want to enjoy my stay on this forum. take care

LaraDuh
21-09-11, 10:44
i only get on mostly at night before bed, so about 2hrs.

Draco
21-09-11, 10:45
Hold up... is Spong being Sponged?

Caesum
21-09-11, 10:52
I have nothing else to do
But except sitting in front of my monitor trying to break my eyes I also read books.

EscondeR
21-09-11, 10:53
you just took this thread too personal... and thats your problem, if you see yourself in it as useless. but you dont have to defend yourself.
so maybe you shouldnt bother me or quote me for that. i want to enjoy my stay on this forum. take care

Well... You obviously can't blame him for that... I mean you come to a game oriented forum and ask "Dudes, don't you think you are all just useless bastards?" ;) or something along the lines... Did you expect only "Oh, HAI! KISSES!!!" as a reaction? :p :D

never_the_same
21-09-11, 10:54

way to much :))

sponge, my intention was not to provoke anybody or get this unespected turn in conversation. maybe you should just leave this thread to the people who understand it on the right way.
take so much care old man, EscondeR aswell :))))

Spong
^Seriously, what's with the childish "old man" stuff? :confused:

I never said that you did say that.

you just took this thread too personal...and thats your problem...

Did I? Oh right, thanks for letting me know :)

...if you see yourself in it as useless. but you dont have to defend yourself.

Given the way you're trying to belittle me with those comments, I'd say it seems like you're the one taking things personally, even though what I initially said was a generalisation. I quoted your OP, yes, but I never referred to you specifically.

Clearly I'm in out of my depth.

Draco
'How do you kill that which has no life?'

EscondeR
21-09-11, 11:07
take so much care old man, EscondeR aswell :))))

Hmmm... Have I put not enough smileys in my posts to be taken that literally? Or your sense of humor took a day off? :p

OK, just imagine, if I (everyone else) say "Yes, we should indeed get a life and do something more useful, creative..." Does that mean you would drop posting and go doing "more useful" things right away? Because it is what you're trying to enlighten us with, isn't it?
Your reaction on people with different POV implies that you were not asking with that thread, but rather insisting on our time spending here being counter-productive. But yours also is ATM... So what's the point?

never_the_same
21-09-11, 11:10
Hmmm... Have I put not enough smileys in my posts to be taken that literally? Or your sense of humor took a day off? :p

OK, just imagine, if I (everyone else) say "Yes, we should indeed get a life and do something more useful, creative..." Does that mean you would drop posting and go doing "more useful" things right away? Because it is what you're trying to enlighten us with, isn't it?
Your reaction on people with different POV implies that you were not asking with that thread, but rather insisting on our time spending here being counter-productive. But yours also is ATM... So what's the point?

haha not.
i think you should leave this thread to those who understand it right way :))))
if you have not a smile to give, i will give you some of mines :))))))))))))))))))
you just took it too personal, now move on, its nothing about you.. :)))

StefanJ94
21-09-11, 11:12
Actually I do have a live :D The thing is that it involves computers too :p

EscondeR
21-09-11, 11:13
^ ^ O'rly?
Now you understand how I understand that thread better than I understand how I understand it. Great! :tmb:

:p

the ancient
I have a life, so no.
I don't need a second :p

Draco
Wow... now EscondeR is being EscondeRed(?) lol...

Where is the 'Like' button?!

But seriously... never, you seem to be missing a lot in translation.

never_the_same
21-09-11, 11:17
^ ^ O'rly?
Now you understand how I understand that thread better than I understand how I understand it. Great! :tmb:

oh i love you so much! :)) thanks for saying it instead of me

Draco, yes... english is not my first languane, so i cant express myself the way i want to :)

EscondeR
21-09-11, 11:18
^ Not sure about "old man" definition, but something tells me that "little boy" one was a spot on ;)

@ Draco: That's rather my brilliant replies seem to be missing a lot in translation ;) Could be way more graphical in Russian :p

never_the_same
21-09-11, 11:51
i just have to say this.. you guys make it so fun to be around here... "old man" is according to his avatar. i dont say he is the old man, but it is rather the association for his avatar, to me.. just a nickname, and no need to be sensitive about anything in here :))

sandygrimm
21-09-11, 11:52
Almost all day :p I admit, but if for me it is my life. I play, I talk to friends, and I make money and spend money :p

Lara Croft!
21-09-11, 12:12
I have a life, but when there's nothing better to do, I am on my computer. Needless to say real life always comes first. Internet is a good way to kill time.

klona
21-09-11, 12:52
Here are my timings. :D
Vacations/Weekends :
Stays on Laptop from the time i wake up till it's time for bed.

School :
After i come back from school i do my stuff and directly go on my laptop after that until bedtime.

By saying that, i don't think i have a life. :p
And as ^ Lara Croft! ^ said : 'Internet is a good way to kill time.
I don't really have much to do in my life anyway. =/

LNSNHGTDS
21-09-11, 12:54
I have a life, but when there's nothing better to do, I am on my computer. Needless to say real life always comes first. Internet is a good way to kill time.

This, plus playing video games and using our computers too much as a hobby doesn't mean we don't have a life :p .

digitizedboy
21-09-11, 13:03
Well actually, I decided to use the PC a lot less these days and do other things. It still doesn't alter the fact that I have no life though. :p

cezy rockeru
21-09-11, 13:06
Excuse me,I do have a life. >_>

Ora Dagger
21-09-11, 13:59
Oh I would love to have a life. Anybody know where I can get one!?

TheGermanLlama
21-09-11, 14:01
I will never get a life!! :jmp::jmp::jmp:

tomee
21-09-11, 14:47
Uh yeah I need a life. While I was watching a carneval this summer I actually realised how grey and boring I am. I seriously need to take up a sport or dancing or playing a musical instrument or trying out some art. You get the general idea...

I wouldn't like to offend anyone, but once I was reading a thread, and a lot of people said that, 'I'm more open to anyone here, and I have a lot of friends on the internet', and said that it's the opposite in the real world.
I understand that some might not have much confidence and is shy, but some people think it's totally normal and they wouldn't change it.

To be honest I'd sell one of my kidneys to change life with most of my classmates. :/

TheGermanLlama
21-09-11, 14:51
True. I don't want to cut myself from the rest of the world. As scary and ****ty as it may be, there's a whole side to it that's actually quite beautiful and amazing.

xXhayleyroxXx
21-09-11, 16:15
I like to think I spend my time well -- while on the computer, I'm not just on msn and facebook and here (yeah, I am a lot :p) but I paint, write, catch up with friends at uni and family who live in Scotland. I also research a lot and do school work so I'm never just entirely procrastinating. I think it's vital to get that balance -- I spend a lot of my time with family and friends and it's also nice to get away from the internet every once in a while as it sometimes overwhelms me. I do however think I should be more proactive and cycle/hike more as well as work off more hours for work experience.

Tony9595
21-09-11, 16:16
i just have to say this.. you guys make it so fun to be around here... "old man" is according to his avatar. i dont say he is the old man, but it is rather the association for his avatar, to me.. just a nickname, and no need to be sensitive about anything in here :))

So EscondeR is a freaking hot big-boobed woman. I like that! :D

Underhoe
21-09-11, 16:17
Life is overrated.

Eros5th
21-09-11, 16:18
If I could get a damn job or start school already I wouldn't be on here as much. But I dont even have a car cuz it was in an accident and stuck in the shop for 3 weeks now... so yea no life at the moment lol

Fresh outta college into this **** recession I dont think anybody my age has a life.

KC Mraz
21-09-11, 16:20
If you enjoy it, why is playing games or being on the internet automatically considered having "no life"? It is a life, and you're spending it the way you want to. Haters gonna hate. That "at least I have a life" remark is one of the most shallow comebacks anyone could ever use. I associate it with party girls and fratmen who drink their life away because that's supposedly what people need to do to have fun.

Rant over. I feel inspired today. Little Monsters I'll set you free.

tomee
21-09-11, 16:37
Why does everyone see only the other end?

Those who sit in front of the computers are the first dot and those who party all the day and drink & stuff are the other dot.

. ________________________ .

By having a life I would never mean that you have to be the other dot. I would consider both to be 'no life'. People should find a balance between this instead.

corey01
21-09-11, 16:54
I only come on here to have a browse every now and then, I dont think its healthy to be looking at a forum day after dayyy. Then again having facebook and full internet access on my phone doesnt help..

never_the_same
21-09-11, 19:10

shes a flirt bomb :D

CosmoCroft
21-09-11, 19:12
I don't think it's an option for me.

EscondeR
21-09-11, 19:21

shes a flirt bomb :D

Yeah, that's pretty much sums it...
http://www.tombraiderhub.com/dstorage/esc/sigw.jpg

:D

larafan25
21-09-11, 19:24
It's been insinuated that I have no life by being on the forums so much, however the people saying that obviously have to be there too, and are simply less active and have less of a positive role in the forum.

I don't need a "life".

lance6439
21-09-11, 20:09
The Computer is Life.

Miharu
21-09-11, 20:13
No, "I have a life." I don't spend much time on videogames anymore or the computer, I prefer to go to college and hang out with my friends.

b.gluch
21-09-11, 20:18
yes... yes i deffinatly need to get a life :vlol:

sierra xb
21-09-11, 21:06
I have a life, and part of that life is interacting on this forum with other people who share the same interests. I would much rather spend time on the computer where I can learn new things, that to sit in front of a tv and just absorb whatever they decide to show me. I am awake for an average of 16-18 hours a day, but only spend a solid 2 hours or so on the forum here, so there are plenty of other things that I do aside from the internet. I am a TR fan, so to me, time spend with other TR fans is definitely "useful".

Rai
21-09-11, 22:35

When I am not working and spending time with my family, I like to write, which happens to involve my pc. I also take my dog for walks, do the housework and watch a little tv. I read a lot too. In between that I spend time catching up on TR stuff here, playing the games which helps to relax me. I haven't done so in a while, but I have in the past and will again take part in amateur dramatics. I think I utilise my time quite well.

Encore
21-09-11, 23:11
I definitely should get a life. I don't spend ALL my free time on the computer, but when I'm not on it, I'm doing other "nerdy", not social, things, like watching movies, drawing or reading. :o

Uzi master
22-09-11, 03:27
I'll have plenty of time to live when I'm dead.

TRLegendLuver
22-09-11, 03:29
As much as I'd like to think I'm on the computer a lot, I'm really not. I'm just too busy for it anymore. I used to be a lot a couple years ago, but things in my life started really picking up and I simply haven't had the true time to do anything on it since. I am, however, still frequently get on the computer, either to do the work I have to do on it, music, art, news, and what-not, but as to taking the time to really talk to people daily, not so much. I wish I did.

But I have my own life, so I don't need to get one. I already have one.

Ikas90
22-09-11, 05:51
Heaps of time when I've got nothing better to do.

At home, it's hours. But atm, not that long.

EscondeR
22-09-11, 06:06
...drawing or reading. :o

Those are perfectly OK IMO :tmb:
Much better than chatting on the phone or watching football on TV with beer and company :p That's some ****ty socializing...
Of course if you could go play paintball with friends it'll be more healthy for you :D

never_the_same
22-09-11, 10:14
i've been just reading what everyone had to say in this thread. thanks guys for your respond :)))
some people went too sensitive about the name of this thread, and took it literally. its just an expression, and theres no need to explain what it means, because a lot of ppl understood this thread and replied without problems.

yessssss some people went offended and sensitive, and i'm sorry guys that you saw yourself as lifeless and tried to defend. my intention was not to provoke. things here are not for taking personal, because we dont know each other personal.

so take care everyone :)))))) cheers

pEhouse
22-09-11, 10:31
I definitely should get a life. I don't spend ALL my free time on the computer, but when I'm not on it, I'm doing other "nerdy", not social, things, like watching movies, drawing or reading. :o

Same with me :o Not like I don't wanna be social, I just find it harder and harder to make friends the older I get.

Jester Head
22-09-11, 10:58
I'm perfectly happy with my life. I spend a lot of time online, but I have other things IRL to keep me occupied (my girlfriend, my friends, music, my business, cooking, etc)

Even if you are not a "balancing" online and offline life, I don't see the problem. As long as you're healthy (and you enjoy what you're doing) I don't see why you can't spend the majority of your time doing "nerdy" stuff, instead of working on your Social Links™.

shebj
22-09-11, 11:46
I'm a lot on the pc; not always on the net though but; watching movies; listening to music; play a children's game with my son. It just ; I don't like to go outside that much; I only go out if my bf drags me outside or if I have to do groceries and stuff. In the weekend though; if my bf is at home I barely touch the pc. but it doesn't mean I'm getting social and stuff. I really have a problem with talking to people in real life unless they are friends. and my friends do not live nearby so I only have contact with them through hotmail; sending mails.

tomee
22-09-11, 13:12
I have a life, and part of that life is interacting on this forum with other people who share the same interests. I would much rather spend time on the computer where I can learn new things, that to sit in front of a tv and just absorb whatever they decide to show me. I am awake for an average of 16-18 hours a day, but only spend a solid 2 hours or so on the forum here, so there are plenty of other things that I do aside from the internet. I am a TR fan, so to me, time spend with other TR fans is definitely "useful".

IMO that's also not having a life. But anyway if what you say is true than I don't think you shouldn't worry about anything. :p

Mikky
22-09-11, 13:50
Should I get a life? Yes, probably. Do I care anymore that I don't really have one? No.

mepsipax
22-09-11, 14:38
I don't spend enough time on this to not have life, I do go out and enjoy myself a lot. I come here when I've not much else to do. I do spend a lot of time (5+ hours a day) with music and at my piano, but I guess that's productive.
IDK though. It won't ever bother me to not to 'have a life' as long as I'm happy.

FloTheMachine
22-09-11, 17:56
Is that question pure rhetoric? I mean asked on an Internet forum dedicated to a game series... C'mon :D

As for the serious part of the post: Dunno about others, but I get so much life sometimes, that it's a relief to visit this place... even with all those drama strikes which happen from time to time :)

This. ;D

never_the_same
22-09-11, 18:09
so whatever if the forum is game oriented. "general chat" is not game oriented, so shhhhhhh. if u dont like thread simply go to the other. if you dont have what else to do... dodooo... and about mentioning the drama, i dunno why they started it.

edit: or get a life ;)

Summer B
23-09-11, 11:22
I go on the computer or console for about an hour or so a day, after hw has been finished and all that. Im only on today at this time cuz I had a doctors appointment.

lord gaga
23-09-11, 11:35
My friend keeps telling me to do this :(. I think i have a life or else i would be floating down a river now.