PDA

View Full Version : What Is The Smartest Animal

Tramp
13-02-05, 01:08
Just watched a tv show called the Most Extreme Animal Thinkers. They counted down the top 10 animal brains. Which do you think came out on top. Beating Dolphins and Chimpanzees. THE PARROT.

Alex the African Grey who has been studied for 20 years by Dr Irene Pepperberg at the University of Arizona is said to have the intelligence of a 6 year old child.

Alex (http://www.alexfoundation.org/research/articles/subisalx.html) Linkie

So parrots just repeat things they have heard???

[ 13. February 2005, 01:09: Message edited by: Tramp ]

Draco
13-02-05, 02:24
Well I guess birdbrain isnt an insult anymore...

Tramp
13-02-05, 02:49
I would take that as a hell of a compliment. I first heard about Alex about 10 years ago. He is sooo smart. One day I will be able to afford an African Grey. In America and England they are so cheap but over here they are between AUD$4000 to AUD$5000. I would also like a New Zealand Kakapo but they are highly protected and even though we are so close to NZ extremely hard to get.

Scottlee
13-02-05, 03:17
The mosquito is definitely the smartest animal. They exist all over England and we English people have not yet managed to spot one. I guess they must be good at hiding.

( :D )

Angela Russell
13-02-05, 06:53
In my opinion the dog is the smartest animal. My dog Dimplesworth managed to sneak out of the house and get the dog next door pregnant. We threw a party for them the other night with out next door neighbours and we are thinking of naming the puppy after the legendary Binky Farris.

Chall!

Tramp
13-02-05, 07:46
Angela this was based on science and testing. Owning both dogs and parrots the parrots are definately smarter. The Parrots tell the dogs when someone is coming here (their hearing is about 5,000 decibals higher than dogs). My Corella has to have a padlock on his door, locked and the key removed or he would open the door and get out and wander round the house. Dog clips are useless on the doors as the birds can open them as well.

Check the link on Alex he has a vocabluary of about 800 words, not only answers questions but asks them as well.

Neteru
13-02-05, 08:31
I love cases like this, for those people who insist animals have no intelligence. I think when you own a pet you see every day just how intelligent they are. You notice subtleties of behaviour, of eye movement, of mood. All these things more than hint at intelligence.

"the puppy" Angelina? I think you're going to find there'll be more than one.

Anubis_AF
13-02-05, 13:16
Originally posted by Neteru:
I love cases like this, for those people who insist animals have no intelligence. Yea, me too.

Apofiss
13-02-05, 13:29
I have noticed that middle-sized and small dogs are very smart if compare with other quite intelligent animals like dolphins, pigs, cats...

FallenStar
13-02-05, 15:01
Lol....tiranosaurus rex i think...

nikos
13-02-05, 15:39
every animal have his own and unique intelligence!
we make a great mistake comparing their reaction in some things, because we compare them with our logic!
every animal react following its instinct,but many of us do not understand why they react like this because we still think with our human logic!
plus another mistake,we believe that this animal is smarter that the other depending from our sympathy to an animal!
for example i love cats,and i think that they are the smartest animal, because i care about them and i pay attention to eveything they do!
another point is that there are "smart" and "dump" animals in the same kind!
for example i have cats really smart and some others not so,there are some dogs i really admire for their reaction,and some are very annoying and "dump"!
well the good point is to love them all and take care about them especcially for the homelless ones!

Lemmie
13-02-05, 20:07
Cats definitely. I have a cat called Shiva, and whenever I give her food from the supermarket, she just won't eat it.
Smart.

ELEN
13-02-05, 22:50
Originally posted by Scottlee:
The mosquito is definitely the smartest animal. They exist all over England and we English people have not yet managed to spot one. I guess they must be good at hiding.

( :D ) http://www.tombraiderforums.com/forums/icons/icon8.gif it was just a simple question http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif :D