PDA

View Full Version : Music Recommendations

Encore
29-11-11, 00:39
Let's face it.
The "What song you're listening to" is a failure in regards to its original intention (first post in the thread).

So...
I was trying to find a place to get some music recommendations where I could discover new artists, and it made me think - why not try this on TRF as well?

The idea is for people to come here and ask for specific recommendations, and other people will give their suggestions.

You could also recommend something without being asked for - you can share an artist you've just dicovered or are hyping a lot ATM. But if you do so, please offer some insight. The idea is that people with similar interests can share new stuff between themselves here, and people won't click your video unless you give some basic info of what genre it is, what kind of listener will probably like it, etc.

And I'll start off by saying:

I am obsessed with this song by DJ Shadow and I'm trying to find more music that sounds like this (preferably instrumental like this one). Any suggestions are welcome.
3z8CDUCbheg

CiaKonwerski
29-11-11, 00:43
I definitely like the idea of this thread :tmb:, at the moment however I cannot think of anything that sounds too similar to the video you posted. I might be able to find something more electronica/instrumental with words. :l

patriots88888
29-11-11, 01:05
Sounds good to me. :tmb:

@Encore: Is that the only genre/type of music you listen to? Because I'm afraid I wouldn't even know where to begin in finding something similar. :/ Nice idea tho and I hope it takes off. :)

Encore
29-11-11, 01:58
^ Of course not :D It's actually one of the genres I know the least, which is why I'm looking for similar artists. But I'm learning that instrumental hip hop is very much underground, and it's difficult finding stuff like that, unfortunately...

It's no big deal if no one can make me any suggestions, I just hope other people begin using the thread as well.

pekirock
29-11-11, 02:02
Check out the Chemical Brothers (or at least their Hannah soundtrack):

zKlRD9Wkyw0

And also kinda reminds me of Beat of my drum/How I roll

MyRaider4Life
29-11-11, 02:50
Gypsy & The Cat, FTW. <3

3YboETF6ZHQ

Their album Gilgamesh has some wonderful tracks. The Piper's Song is my personal favourite.

Paddy
29-11-11, 10:02
I have been dabbling in a bit of ambient, progressive, electronic type music lately, No-Man a side project of Steven Wilson from Porcupine Tree is an example. Wouldn't mind trying a bit of other stuff on the same lines. Or even just suggest more progressive rock I could get into.

Also if there are people here wanting to get into a bit of metal, I can offer some suggestions to try out.

remote91
29-11-11, 11:01
Lately I'm crushing on Sia quite badly. She's an Aussie that has written some songs for other popular artists (Xtina), as well as also being providing vocals for the UK electronic group Zero 7. She recently collaborated with David Guetta, but I'm not interested in that.

She has a nice big voice, some mellow songs and is responsible for this very famous tune, which along with the rest of her back catalogue, is used quite a lot on TV & film soundtracks, which is exactly the kind of music I like.

Breathe Me
hSH7fblcGWM

Day Too Soon
TAnFBotSCfI

Soon We'll Be Found
g7kmIFffJbU

If people can point me in the direction of other ladies just like her, then I'll give you a gold coin :p

afzalmiah
29-11-11, 11:05
Zedd is a really good DJ :) I can't upload any videos though. You can search him up on youtube :D
Florence & The Machine is a great singer but not exactly what I think you are looking for :o :o
EDIT: I just read the first post on the thread and now understand what you mean about it being a failure.

Liara
29-11-11, 11:25
Nice post, remote91, you can never go wrong with Sia. :tmb:

Here's my contribution:

puQTB-mdeQk

I'm not one for techo/trance, but I love the singer's voice. And the video reminds me of Half Life 2 for some reason.

remote91
29-11-11, 11:59
Nice post, remote91, you can never go wrong with Sia. :tmb:

Here's my contribution:

puQTB-mdeQk

I'm not one for techo/trance, but I love the singer's voice. And the video reminds me of Half Life 2 for some reason.
Me neither, but this is a nice song!

ozzman
29-11-11, 16:35
Rainbow ♥
CrHGELlFskA
DIO [RIP] ♥
DSRLBS4XR5A
Alice in Chains ♥ [RIP Layne]
5gHiR1xeOSs
Ozzy ♥♥
5vbz5T3QlHY
Staind♥♥
aBZsy6TDg4A

Evanescence ♥♥♥♥
7RYvzTWE3y8
just a few of amazing groups that i'm sure someone will enjoy,

Tombcool
30-11-11, 00:26
Shameless promotion for EarlyRise.

js6TBze6vNA

QJJLCdPkZjs

pekirock
30-11-11, 00:39
Does anyone know an artist or album that sounds similar to Nicola Roberts 'Cinderella's Eyes'? Its all Ive been listening to for the past two weeks... I LOVE IT!

n_BG3n1q5KU&ob=av2e
010o9bY4PQ4
-yyeu4Sixeg
Take a Bite (which I cant seem to find a link on youtube for :/)

Jester Head
30-11-11, 17:15
Great thread!

I have been dabbling in a bit of ambient, progressive, electronic type music lately, No-Man a side project of Steven Wilson from Porcupine Tree is an example. Wouldn't mind trying a bit of other stuff on the same lines. Or even just suggest more progressive rock I could get into.

Also if there are people here wanting to get into a bit of metal, I can offer some suggestions to try out.

You might want to check out Ulver (if you haven't, already), they sound like something you should like. The first albums are Black Metal and Folk music, though, so you might want to pass those.

Anyway, a video:
1vXRunPTRp8

Encore
30-11-11, 23:37
Check out the Chemical Brothers (or at least their Hannah soundtrack):

zKlRD9Wkyw0

And also kinda reminds me of Beat of my drum/How I roll

I haven't listened to Chemical Brothers in many years, I had no idea what they sounded like these days. I loved that track. :tmb: Gotta check their new material.

PandaINC
01-12-11, 00:06
Does anyone know an artist or album that sounds similar to Nicola Roberts 'Cinderella's Eyes'? Its all Ive been listening to for the past two weeks... I LOVE IT!

Have you heard of Zowie?
Broken Machine (http://youtu.be/XvBSVvn3-i0)
Bite Back (http://youtu.be/BoZzpX798JA)

Not too close but I think it's a similar kinda funky pop.

pekirock
01-12-11, 00:13
Have you heard of Zowie?
Broken Machine (http://youtu.be/XvBSVvn3-i0)
Bite Back (http://youtu.be/BoZzpX798JA)

Not too close but I think it's a similar kinda funky pop.

I like it! I like Bite Back better though. And yeah it sounds something like that.. I dunno I just love that sound, like the sound of How I Roll (which everyone seems to hate), and Criminal Intent by Robyn :ton:

PandaINC
01-12-11, 00:21
I like it! I like Bite Back better though. And yeah it sounds something like that.. I dunno I just love that sound, like the sound of How I Roll (which everyone seems to hate), and Criminal Intent by Robyn :ton:

I love both those songs and have been as well looking for something similar, but it's difficult! :p

Paddy
01-12-11, 03:29
Great thread!

You might want to check out Ulver (if you haven't, already), they sound like something you should like. The first albums are Black Metal and Folk music, though, so you might want to pass those.

Anyway, a video:
1vXRunPTRp8

I like Black Metal and want to try Folk so you have given me more to go for as well lol

Tombcool
01-12-11, 04:00
I like Black Metal and want to try Folk so you have given me more to go for as well lol

Tell me what you think...

90mfXjD_1Gs

Sgt BOMBULOUS
01-12-11, 04:16
And here I expected a bombardment of Lady Gargoyle, Katy Perry and other worthless pop garbage... I'm pleasantly surprised. Anyway, check this out. Utterly sublime, relaxing, and downright amazing.

5Nj1D2y-PY8

scoopy_loopy
01-12-11, 04:46
Lately I'm crushing on Sia quite badly. She's an Aussie that has written some songs for other popular artists (Xtina), as well as also being providing vocals for the UK electronic group Zero 7. She recently collaborated with David Guetta, but I'm not interested in that.

She has a nice big voice, some mellow songs and is responsible for this very famous tune, which along with the rest of her back catalogue, is used quite a lot on TV & film soundtracks, which is exactly the kind of music I like.

Breathe Me
[youtube]hSH7fblcGWM

Day Too Soon
[youtube]TAnFBotSCfI

Soon We'll Be Found
[youtube]g7kmIFffJbU

If people can point me in the direction of other ladies just like her, then I'll give you a gold coin :p

I LOVE Sia, she's amazing. :D

sierra xb
01-12-11, 05:08
Tell me what you think...

I love music like that, kind of a slightly modernized celtic style.

If you want something totally unique, try Blackmore's Night. They are medieval/folk/rock style and like nothing I had ever heard before. I made a thread for them not too long ago, but there are lots of videos posted there...

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=186475

ozzman might like them, since he posted a video for Rainbow...Ritchie Blackmore is lead guitar for BN.

BtoFu
01-12-11, 13:34
Let's face it.
And I'll start off by saying:

I am obsessed with this song by DJ Shadow and I'm trying to find more music that sounds like this (preferably instrumental like this one). Any suggestions are welcome.
3z8CDUCbheg

I recommend these guys:

DJ Spooky
The Beat Junkies
Dr. Octagon
Invisibl Skratch Piklz
Peanut Butter Wolf
Madlib
DJ Krush
Company Flow

Reggie
01-12-11, 14:01
Good tune from Strange Boys:

G2KRB30HVX4

Give Paris Wells a try. :)

V4gtDUr2Ql8

Her myspace has a good selection from her album:
http://www.myspace.com/pariswells

Through and Through is a top pop tune.

I have plenty of love for Paris. <3

remote91
01-12-11, 16:35
Give Paris Wells a try. :)

V4gtDUr2Ql8

Her myspace has a good selection from her album:
http://www.myspace.com/pariswells

Through and Through is a top pop tune.

I have plenty of love for Paris. <3
Okay, I can easily say I really do like this! I've put her 2nd album in my spotify playlist. I love Through and Through.

I'm developing a thing for quirky lady singers lately :p I feel like she fits in the Sia-kinda category.

Kate Miller-Heidke is quite good, she's a trained opera singer and pianist that's chosen to go down the pop/alternative route instead of opera.
xoCNFFBaOek

And something acoustic, that displays her opera abilities :p

mRFDW7pbsdQ

And she's part of dancier group called Fatty Gets A Stylist with her husband which is quite good!

rF03cE2pxkU

And quite possibly the catchiest song in the world..

scckwzeyzMo

moodydog
01-12-11, 16:53
I am trying to find a certain dupstep song... I just remembered listening to it in Uni and I have no idea what it is. Is got a heavy drop but the music itself is quite relaxed sounding. btw I know nothing about dubstep!

It was a tiny bit similar to this (from about 12 seconds in) but also different.

SJvQSmXpo4Y

the ancient
01-12-11, 16:57
remote She is funny I like it :D

So I recently found out about Telekinesis
An alternative indie rock band :)

MCaQEMcSaQE&ob=av2e

PKqhnf_32K0&feature=related

ledkbRvQnsQ&feature=related

I like them.

remote91
01-12-11, 17:08
^I really like what I've heard in those videos, gonna give them a spotify search! :D

KC Mraz
03-12-11, 22:46

Take a Bite (which I cant seem to find a link on youtube for :/)

Have you heard of Robyn? Her album Body Talk It's a bit in the style you're looking for.

eAfLocz3_4c

I wanted to post another song, "Criminal Intent", but the only video if it on YouTube is pitched. That one will have to do.

Encore
03-12-11, 23:17
I recommend these guys:

DJ Spooky
The Beat Junkies
Dr. Octagon
Invisibl Skratch Piklz
Peanut Butter Wolf
Madlib
DJ Krush
Company Flow

Thank you!!!
I'm gonna check out all of those on youtube.

the ancient
04-12-11, 12:48
Have you heard of Robyn? Her album Body Talk It's a bit in the style you're looking for.

eAfLocz3_4c

I wanted to post another song, "Criminal Intent", but the only video if it on YouTube is pitched. That one will have to do.

You can't go wrong with Robyn.
Very good :tmb:

Romantics Inc.
04-12-11, 18:23
Putting out completely opposing genres, see which ones yall like ;)

Typhoon - The Honest Truth (Kyle Morton's voice is so sexy.)
PHRFhLxuLj8

Massive Attack - Teardrop (Their most popular song.)
u7K72X4eo_s

Boards of Canada - ROYGBIV
yT0gRc2c2wQ

AND YOU CANT FORGET

Listener - Wooden Heart (Such an amazing song.)
K8k9rD7lx9c