PDA

View Full Version : Shock Therapy Eases Depression Symptoms

TheEveningStar
04-11-04, 03:28
WEDNESDAY, Nov. 3 (HealthDayNews) -- People with major depression experience improved mood, quality of life and daily living activities when treated with electroconvulsive therapy, or so-called shock therapy, a new study finds.

With ECT, patients are given a brief electrical shock to the brain to produce a generalized seizure, according to the study researchers at Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center.

The study, which included 77 people with major depression, found that 66 percent of them showed improvement at both two and four weeks after ECT. The findings appear in the November issue of the British Journal of Psychiatry.

Earlier Wake Forest research had found that patients treated with ECT showed more improved function and quality of life than patients who took antidepressants.

"ECT produces a net improvement in health for most patients," study author Dr. Vaughn McCall, a professor and chairman of the department of psychiatry and behavioral medicine at Wake Forest, said in a prepared statement.

He said the findings indicate that a restrictive attitude toward ECT is not warranted. Last year, Britain's National Institute of Clinical Excellence recommended strict limits on the use of ECT.

More information

The U.S. National Library of Medicine has more about electroconvulsive therapy.
Yahoo.com

janny_c.
04-11-04, 05:02
But they did that before....

Neteru
04-11-04, 10:08
They [usually psychaitrists] have been sanctioning the use of ECT for decades. It's a barbaric practice that many other studies have shown to be ineffective. Not only this, but ECT can make the patient (or victim) epileptic for life. This practice should have been outlawed a long time ago. Honestly, 'oh I know, let's electrocute people, that should help'. It's the psychiatric equivalent of the dark ages still! http://www.tombraiderforums.com/forums/icons/icon13.gif

andromeda_eats
04-11-04, 10:34
I agree with Net. Whats next, bringing leeches back to get rid of fevers?

SpArKy
04-11-04, 11:54
Yeah but if they succeed, all they need to do is minimise the cause of epilepsy.

I say this because my whole family suffers with depression, its just gets passed down, i myself suffer with this, and its hard it really is. Obviously i am a happy person and not a manic depressant, but. Every so often, like once a week or every other, i just carnt get out f bed, its hard to explain. Or i just wont go out. Its aweful. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif

Thorir
04-11-04, 12:18
Yeah, me too, Sparky. :(
Unfortunatly there are no perfect cure. :(

But playing Tomb Raider and having a nice cup og cocoa or something isn`t bad in my opinion. :D

Joseph
04-11-04, 12:30
Tombraider, and these forums, are excellent medicine! http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif ;)

SpArKy
04-11-04, 13:01
Originally posted by Thorir:
Yeah, me too, Sparky. :(
Unfortunatly there are no perfect cure. :(

But playing Tomb Raider and having a nice cup og cocoa or something isn`t bad in my opinion. :D Actually there is, will power, i am lucky i am very strong minded and can pull myself out of it, but not every has a strong mind, so i guess you are correct.
Its one of those facts of life, even winning 1 Million pound jackpot would not solve it. Oh well!

Neteru
04-11-04, 13:29
Originally posted by SpArKy:
Yeah but if they succeed, all they need to do is minimise the cause of epilepsy.

I say this because my whole family suffers with depression, its just gets passed down, i myself suffer with this, and its hard it really is. Obviously i am a happy person and not a manic depressant, but. Every so often, like once a week or every other, i just carnt get out f bed, its hard to explain. Or i just wont go out. Its aweful. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif They've been doing this for decades Sparky, they have absolutely no control over whether epilepsy occurs or not. And as I've said, most studies show it to be inefective.

I too come from a family with an inherited psychiatric problem. Many members of my family have been institutionalised, such is the extent of the 'family curse'. One cousin in particular (having been in an asylum a number of times in her life) was offered ECT a couple of years ago (to my astonishment). I am only glad she asked my advice.

I need to clear up this idea that manic depression means someone who is depressed to a great extent. This is a wrong idea. Manic-depressive illness, or bi-polar disorder, means (in the simplest terms) experiencing alternating states of extreme depression and extreme happyness to the extent where being in either condition affects daily functioning. One does not have to be manic-depressive to be a serious sufferer of depression requiring professional help.

SpArKy
04-11-04, 13:46
Oh see, maybe i am then, becuse, i am up and down day in day out http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/silent.gif

Neteru
04-11-04, 14:41
Only if your 'ups' are manic (extreme). If not, then it's simply a depressive condition.

tazmine
04-11-04, 17:12
I have a good friend who is manic-depressive. She is stable when she takes her medication, mainly lithium, but hates to stay on it because she says it makes her life so dull. It erases all the even little highs & lows, & she says it makes her feel like a zombie.

But, when she is off her meds, she can get herself in a lot of trouble, especially when she is on a high: it's almost as if all caution & sense get thrown out the window.

She's been married twice, & her second marriage is falling apart. Her husband is a sweet guy, but he says she is just too difficult to live with.

It's very hard for her.