PDA

View Full Version : Prometheus Movie 2012 (aka Alien Prequel)

Pages : [1] 2

paulwork
12-12-11, 16:13
I guess some of you saw the recent photos from the upcoming Prometheus movie by Ridley Scott. I'm so excited about this movie. The first AVP movie was kind of interesting, but I'd rather have an Alien standalone film again.

I do hope they explain something about the giant alien creatures strapped to the seats of the spaceship at the start of the original Alien movie. It will be a little strange without Sigourney as Ellen Ripley, and even though Charlize Theron is a little too glamorous to be a space jockey, she has done sci fi before.

One of the pictures showed Charlize in the spaceship which looks like it has the same interior design and hexagonal style doorways of the Nostromo. I'm so excited - I really hope Ridley Scott gives us some edge of our seat moments and some unexpected twists, rather than just concentrating on 3D and special effects.

Zelda master
12-12-11, 16:29
Shouldn't this supposed to be in the Arts and Entertainment section..?

Anyway anything that Ridley does is great in one way or another, so I'm looking forward to it. I just hope he doesn't go overboard with 3D and CGI like alot of director's do these days. Yes I know this was also the guy that made Blade Runner but still...

I'm just going to wait quitely though, that way atleast I can't in one way or another get dissapointed :)

Dark Lugia 2
12-12-11, 18:42
Thanks for making a thread, been following this for a while! :D I wanted an official Alien prequel as well but it looks like we'll be seeing them a lot in this film anyway. There were some leaked images a few months ago of people in space suits in a huge Alien egg chamber. Looking forward to seeing the Space Jockey explained as well.

Ridley is a fan of using minatures and building extravagant set pieces so there will probably be little lazy CGI. It'll probably be there to make space look really nice? :D

Spong
12-12-11, 18:47
Ridley Scott is doing it? That's a plus :tmb:

James_Rutland
12-12-11, 18:52
I think after this they should do an Alien remake with Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Ripley.

http://mimg.ugo.com/201010/61883/cuts/mary-elizabeth-winstead_528x297.jpg
http://www.dreadcentral.com/img/news/oct11/TheThingA.jpg

She'd be a perfect young Ripley, in my opinion of course :o

Spong
12-12-11, 18:55
^I can kind of see where you're coming from with her looks, but I'd rather they leave the original alone. It still stands the test of time (IMO), it doesn't need remaking.

Dark Lugia 2
12-12-11, 18:55
Remake? I hate the idea of that, the film is perfect as it is! :o And looks stunning remastered on Blu-ray. :D

Spong
12-12-11, 18:56
^I bet the those life-size sets look freaking amazing in HD :jmp:

James_Rutland
12-12-11, 18:57
I guess so, but it'd be nice to see the original remade accurately, some scenes were so intense and i'd love to see them revisited, only if it was done accurately though. But It probably wouldn't, so yeah. :p

Zelda master
12-12-11, 19:06
I think after this they should do an Alien remake with Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Ripley.

First of all, that movie was insane (in a good way), second while I really love her, I don't think I would want to see her in this movie. I don't know why though :p

TippingWater
12-12-11, 19:09
I am really looking forward to seeing this movie :) , and about a remake or reboot , I hope they wouldn't dare , the series it's amazing as it is :D .

Dark Lugia 2
12-12-11, 19:35
^I bet the those life-size sets look freaking amazing in HD :jmp:

They do!! I was so surprised, I didn't think the film would get such good treatment with the remastering and transfer. They did an excellent job. :D

Billy959
12-12-11, 19:37
They do!! I was so surprised, I didn't think the film would get such good treatment with the remastering and transfer. They did an excellent job. :D

HD FTW:jmp:

the blu-ray collection is Awesome!

Dark Lugia 2
12-12-11, 19:59
HD FTW:jmp:

the blu-ray collection is Awesome!

I know! :D The theatrical release and directors cut for each film in HD! :jmp: It really is, the amount of bonus content is mental :eek:

Billy959
12-12-11, 20:03
I know! :D The theatrical release and directors cut for each film in HD! :jmp: It really is, the amount of bonus content is mental :eek:

IKR? I watched all of it!:jmp:

is like the perfect combo of blu-ray awesomeness!

voltz
12-12-11, 20:03
I want to see how this gets explained later.

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/PROM-003.jpg

Yes, that was inside the alien ship.

michaeldt
12-12-11, 22:55
heard about it for a long time, i want to see it :) Ridley scott is directing again :D
lol, I've watched half the bonus content on the anthology pack, I don't think ill finish it lol :p

paulwork
13-12-11, 06:29
That room with the eggs is called the “Ampule Room”. According to Wikipedia, “An ampoule (also ampule or ampulla) is a small sealed vial which is used to contain and preserve a sample, usually a solid or liquid.”

This is pure speculation, but I wonder if the giant aliens were actually an endangered species. Maybe to protect their species from extinction, they kind of built an ampule room containing samples of their species as a kind of cosmic sperm bank. Maybe the “bad” aliens infiltrated the giant aliens ampule room and infected the ampule eggs with their own DNA.

Or, maybe the ampule room is just a kind of treasure room, storing all different kinds of samples which the giant aliens collected on their space journeys. One of those samples could contain a single bad alien, and that somehow incubates and breaks free from the ampule.

Whatever that room is, it looks scary and also rewarding to see from a fan perspective. The original Alien movie shows that the giant alien sent an SOS transmission before their ship crashed into planet LV426, but I guess since this Prometheus movie is set many years before Ripley’s time, it should not cross over too much into Alien movie chronology.

I do wonder “Who is going to die first?” in the Prometheus movie. I bet Guy Pearce is the first one to die - he’s so B-movie-ish :cln: Maybe everyone dies, since otherwise they could warn planet earth of whatever they discover, unless of course one of them secretly communicates with Weyland Yutani to deliberatly later send the Nostromo crew to their deaths.

I do think that if we do get to see the "bad alien", it will have to look different and biologically primitive - maybe doesn't even (yet) have acid for blood, or maybe breeds in a different way. Whatever it is, I’m psyched and can’t wait to see this movie.

voltz
15-12-11, 02:28
_TMfPxVf8tw

Listen to the howling effect in the background, it's almost exactly the same as it was in Alien. Definitely sounds like something major is going on here.

MyRaider4Life
15-12-11, 03:19
Looking at that colossal sized image alone makes me want to see the movie.

Encore
15-12-11, 23:00
Just learned about this movie today (heh, I'm sloooow).

I'm definitely interested. The director alone convinces me, but also Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender, I'd watch anything that stars them.

voltz
15-12-11, 23:04
Didn't Noomi star in the original "Girl with the dragon tatoo" flick or is that someone else I'm thinking of?

Encore
15-12-11, 23:14
Yes she did, she was brilliant. It's such a shame that that role was now recast in the american version.... Everyone will only think of Rooney Mara and they will forget the amazing job Noomi did. :(

voltz
15-12-11, 23:36
I've been kicking myself lately to see the originals for quite some time. Did the same with Nakita over it's hoard of remakes.

paulwork
16-12-11, 08:27
Apparently they talked about Prometheus at San Diego Comic Con. Sounds interesting. Not quite sure why they needed Charlize to be doing naked push ups for exercises, but whatever floats your boat, I guess.

I just watched the original Alien movie on DVD last night. It doesn't seem to age that much. Because it is mainly set in an industrial spaceship, apart from things like green computer screens, the whole movie doesn't look like it was from the 70s. The crew talking about about getting "shares" for the work they do kind of gives you a sense that these guys are just there doing their jobs to get paid.

I do hope Ridley gives the new Prometheus that same style where it is difficult for future audiences to tell how old the film is. I want Prometheus to become a classic in its own right, just like Alien.

Legend 4ever
16-12-11, 20:31
I can't wait to see this, huge fan of Alien series. Although I must say Theron is not among my favorite actresses. She's good, but she lacks IDK something.

Encore
16-12-11, 23:43
Not quite sure why they needed Charlize to be doing naked push ups for exercises, but whatever floats your boat, I guess.

For the same reason they needed Ripley to walk around in her panties during the end of the first movie? :p

igonge
17-12-11, 09:57
Really excited about this movie. I'll be the first one in the cinema to see it :p

paulwork
18-12-11, 14:01
I just found out some more info courtesy of http://www.prometheusnews.net/movie/ridleyscott-interview-in-film-blog/

Apparently, the giant space jockey in the original alien film could actually be a kind of external "space suit" worn by a smaller alien being.

If the giant space jockeys were originally steering a weapons ship, then it makes sense that one of their bio-engineered weapons (the bad alien we've seen) broke free from inside their own spaceship and ended up attacking the space jockeys.

For the Prometheus movie, this could mean that the Ampule Room is a weapons hold / torpedo room. They could choose whatever bio-weapon is most appropriate for the enemy they are fighting in whatever part of the universe they happen to be exploring.

As rewarding as it will be to see something recognizable in the Prometheus movie, I am totally looking forward to new types of aliens, new types of dangers, and new concepts about space exploration and bio-engineering.

I'm more excited about this movie than I am about TR - I want to see it now. :jmp:

paulwork
20-12-11, 00:33
Prometheus official trailer will launch on itunes this thu 22nd. according to http://www.prometheusnews.net/ :jmp::jmp::jmp:

Dark Lugia 2
20-12-11, 01:01
Thanks so much for the updates paulwork! :D :D

Such an epic poster.

http://www.prometheusnews.net/wp-content/uploads/promethesus-movie-poster-teaser-01-21.jpg

Legend 4ever
20-12-11, 17:56
I may be missing something here, but how is this a "search for our beginning"?

Dark Lugia 2
20-12-11, 17:59
I guess that will be explained in the film. Maybe the start of the human race or beings that came before us will be explained in it? That could give more meaning to the title being Prometheus. :o

MyRaider4Life
23-12-11, 04:19
sftuxbvGwiU

Trailer~

paulwork
23-12-11, 04:49
OMG. Trailer is fab! Quite literally out of this world. I’m ready to explode (flail, writhe, as a chest burster tries to break out from deep inside of me) Every once in a while, a sci fi movie comes along that isn’t lame and does actually rock your world.

Things I like in the trailer: (pretty much everything, but especially…)
- Design of the Prometheus spaceship interiors are conceptually similar to the Nostromo (corridors, door, examination tables etc…)
- The sense of darkness and foreboding. The uniform colors on the planet
- The planet has water - this is what scientists of today are looking for (real-life discovery of earth-like planets in 2010/2011 etc...)
- The horseshoe design of the crashed alien spaceship, and of course the space jockey chair 
- This looks like it is going to be an instant classic sci-fi movie.

New questions I’m left asking after seeing the trailer:

1. Is alien acid-for-blood what is causing one of the crew’s space helmets to fill with smoke?

2. What caused the male crew member (trying to do an attack landing jump down from above) to look deformed/almost zombified?

3. How did they find that detached space-jockey head which they are scanning on the examining table?

4. Is the large space jockey chair part of a mechanism which is connected to the egg-like Ampules? Do the Ampules get regularly “sucked” up into the large space jockey chair as part of its functionality/that telescope-like device?

5. At the bit where the woman with dirty legs falls to her knees, who is the bald man in the wheelchair? The only other bald-ish looking man we later see is the “giant” bald figure standing near the room with space-jockey’s large chair. Is there a connection?

6. Why does that “giant” bald figure look different to the fossilized dead giant alien being which is lying on the floor in the still image where the crew explore the Ampule room?

7. Did the Prometheus crew discover all of the life forms in the alien space ship after it crashed, or did they discover some other things already existing on the planet beforehand?

8. Will the Prometheus on-board computer be called “Mother”?

9. Which crew member is going to turn out to be like Aliens’ “Burke”, and screw everyone else over in the name of the Weyland corporation? Could it be Charlize? She can be quite nasty if she wants to, and she uglied up quite well in the movie “Monster”

10. “if” the discovered planet is LV426, and “if” the crashed alien ship is the one later discovered by Ripley and the Nostromo crew..
o There would have to be no “traces” left behind that humans from the ship Prometheus ever visited the place beforehand. So how does the removal of all traces get explained away at the end of the Prometheus movie?
o Who/what sent the SOS distress broadcast signal from within the crashed alien ship which the Nostromo later intercepts in “Alien”? Do we see this in Prometheus?
o In the Alien movie, what caused the giant “burn holes” on the outside of the crashed alien ship, when the Nostromo crew walk through to get inside it? Will Prometheus movie explain what could create such big holes?

Loving, loving, loving this film already.:jmp:

igonge
24-12-11, 12:31
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp:

I am actually crying! I'm THAT excited! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111

Nemo_91
24-12-11, 12:53
This will be awesome.

paulwork
24-12-11, 16:09
I'm starting to wonder if the horseshoe shaped alien spaceship was really a full circle, but then after the explosion a large part of it broke off, leaving only the horseshoe shape to crash into the planet.

Above the waterfall at the start of the trailer, the floating shape in the sky looks like a solid round object, more like a steretypical solid UFO shape. Is that another 2nd alien spaceship, I wonder?

digitizedboy
25-12-11, 11:26
This is probably the most promising movie of next year. If there is a movie I'm looking forward to it's this one.

For the same reason they needed Ripley to walk around in her panties during the end of the first movie? :p

They could have least got her to wear some that actually fit her too. LOL

Legend 4ever
25-12-11, 21:35
But she walked around in panties in the last ten minutes only. I was actually impressed with the fact that Ripley was a female lead that was smart and strong while not being stereotypically sexy and beautiful. Usually, all the female action characters appeal to men -- they're not in the kitchen alright, but they're all impossibly thin, with big breasts and butts and beautiful, model faces. I love when someone says that action movie heroines are feminist figures, while in reality they aren't because they still represent the image of a woman that has to be visually pleasing and sexually titillating to a man's view.

paulwork
15-01-12, 15:26
Looks like the suit-of-armour theory for the space jockeys looks more certain. However, they are standing on some kind of plinth so they could also be statues, especially if that corridor leads to the large room with the head and the eggs.

http://pic.prometheusforum.net/noomi-jockey-suit.jpg

paulwork
10-02-12, 07:42
International release dates for this film are listed below. I wonder if Cannes has anything to do with the world premiere...

France 30th May 2012
Belgium 30th May 2012
Netherlands 30th May 2012
Switzerland 3th0 May 2012 (French speaking region)
Israel 31st May 2012
Finland 1st June 2012
Norway 1st June 2012
Sweden 1st June 2012
Turkey 1st June 2012
UK 1st June 2012
Hong Kong 7th June 2012
Australia 7th June 2012
Portugal 7th June 2012
Russia 7th June 2012
Brazil 8th June 2012
Canada 8th June 2012
Chile 8th June 2012
Lithuania 8th June 2012
Poland 8th June 2012
Spain 8th June 2012
USA 8th June 2012
Germany 9th August 2012
Switzerland 9th August 2012 (German speaking region)
Italy 14th September 2012
Switzerland 14th September 2012 (Italian speaking region)

(source: http://www.superrobotmayhem.com/comic-book-movies/prometheus/prometheus-release-date/)

paulwork
06-03-12, 18:57
Weyland Industries website is updated :-)

https://www.weylandindustries.com/

I think we already have more backstory on the film than we have for TR Lara's new Bio.

jackali
06-03-12, 22:11
^ If it's set in the late 21st Century, which I've heard it is...
Then it shouldn't be Weyland Industries. Weyland Industries and whatever the Yutani company was called merge in 2030... So it should already be Weyland-Yutani...

But that site mentions 2023...
So maybe this prequel is set earlier than initial reports stated.

Zebra
06-03-12, 22:12
^ If it's set in the late 21st Century, which I've heard it is...
Then it shouldn't be Weyland Industries. Weyland Industries and whatever the Yutani company was called merge in 2030... So it should already be Weyland-Yutani...

Why? 21st century also includes the years 2000-2030.

jackali
06-03-12, 22:14
Because early reports stated the film would take place in late 21st century. Which has to mean after half-way, or it isn't late. So it would have to be after 2050. Early reports must be wrong.

Zebra
06-03-12, 22:14
Ah, sorry. That was me being tired :p.

igonge
07-03-12, 12:53
Just under 2 months left to go. VERY excited! :D

paulwork
12-03-12, 18:37
http://www.prometheusnews.net/movie/preview-of-trailer-1/ advises there's another Prometheus trailer due out this coming Saturday 23:00 UK time, midnight CET.

There are also some new still movie photos on their updated site. The 2nd photo from the bottom took me a while to work out what I was looking at and what was happening. It reminded me of that alien / deformed human abomination with multiple limbs in "The Thing". But then I saw the 20 second trailer for the trailer, and it all became clearer.

I guess that the zombified-looking crew member who leaps down from above a stack of crates in the first trailer, is the thing/person doing the "throwing" of the other crew member in this photo. And from that we can deduce that when the zombified crew member presumably becomes "infected", not only do they zombify, but they gain super-human strengths allowing them to effortlessly fling around their crewmates from one side of the room to the other.

I am in such a good mood at the moment - all the nice things are coming together in a few fun-packed months. Mad Men TV show starts again, The Apprentice TV show is not far, Prometheus, Max Payne 3, easter vacation around the corner:-)

paulwork
17-03-12, 09:05
13 hours left... can't wait :jmp:

Survival
17-03-12, 10:25
The second Prometheus trailer is ****ing amazing (http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/53726/brace-impact-prometheus-trailer-lands-online)! I was afraid they would action it up but it seems the horror is still present!

igonge
17-03-12, 10:45
I still don't know whats going on :p But I'm super excited :jmp:

Encore
17-03-12, 11:19
The second Prometheus trailer is ****ing amazing (http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/53726/brace-impact-prometheus-trailer-lands-online)! I was afraid they would action it up but it seems the horror is still present!

I have no idea what the **** is going on in that video, but it still looks AMAZING.

TippingWater
17-03-12, 11:28
Woo hoo looks good! :D

paulwork
17-03-12, 22:54
Here is the 2.5 minute trailer just released a few mins ago. Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HHcHYisZFLU

(PS: The black veiny stuff on the person at the start reminds me of x-files and the black oil)

Encore
18-03-12, 17:53
:tmb:

http://i.imgur.com/OFms4.jpg

igonge
18-03-12, 18:38
Oh my goodness :cln:

Dark Lugia 2
18-03-12, 18:43
Oh wow! :D

igonge
18-03-12, 18:46
Did you see it walking around in the trailer!? :yik: /nerdgasm

voltz
18-03-12, 18:54
They better get the size right.

AnotherUKGamer
19-03-12, 00:31
They better get the size right.

As you can see from the latest trailer, the Space Jockey is much bigger than a human. But the dead Space Jockey seen sitting in the seat in the original Alien movie has been fossilized and has grown in size over a long period of time. They even say that it seems to have "grown out from the chair" or something to that effect, in the movie Alien when they discover it.

Absolutely cant wait to see this movie. The whole mystery surrounding the Space Jockeys is why I'm so excited. I'm not really fussed about seeing an actual Xenomorph in Prometheus, I just want to learn more about the Space Jockeys and what happened on that ship! ^_^

voltz
19-03-12, 02:31
Yeah and we're supposed to expect it was never a truly giant figure to begin with. I'm already believing Ridley's just covering himself because he screwed up already.

In all seriousness, I want to see that thing as it were imagined alive when that movie first came out.

paulwork
17-04-12, 22:31
Approx 6 weeks left before the film gets released in the Francophone countries. Its been ages since I've re-watched a movie in the cinema, but I already get a strong feeling that I am going to see this movie multiple times in normal, IMAX and 3D versions.

I can't see why there is so much hesitation to rate the film as an 18. Why don't they just make everyone happy and release 2 versions - the under 18 version for the mass market, and the 18 version "at selected cinemas" in each country and city.

Jami393
17-04-12, 23:24
Cannot wait to see this movie, but how can they say it is a prequel to Alien when it isn't really related to Alien?

Encore
17-04-12, 23:27
DOOJl5lWNfM

For some reason I find him really creepy. :eek: I guess it's because he sounds so much like HAL 9000.

Dark Lugia 2
18-04-12, 00:48
That video is so ****ing awesome. :D I'm loving this viral marketing. I can't tell you how many people I know that have seen or love Alien that don't know who Weyland-Yutani are.

paulwork
27-04-12, 18:23
On UK channel 4 this weekend, there is an exclusive new Prometheus trailer.

http://www.prometheusnews.net/movie/new-trailer-sunday-uk/

igonge
27-04-12, 18:38
DOOJl5lWNfM

For some reason I find him really creepy. :eek: I guess it's because he sounds so much like HAL 9000.

When I first watched that, I was really creeped out.

Nemo_91
27-04-12, 20:41
Film of the year? Probably.

Carbonek_0051
27-04-12, 20:42

Nah, son. Silent Hill 2 comes out this year. loljk This could possibly be the film of the year. Can't wait for it.

Encore
27-04-12, 23:24

I have no idea what will end up being film of the year for me, as I have 3 serious contenders, but based solely on the previews, this one is the most promising.

Ikas90
27-04-12, 23:27
This looks bloody good. I'm gonna be quick to go and see it.

The Alien series is a pretty good one.

Nemo_91
28-04-12, 09:21
Nah, son. Silent Hill 2 comes out this year. loljk This could possibly be the film of the year. Can't wait for it.

Pfft. Breaking Dawn will slay SH2. Even Prometheus.

paulwork
29-04-12, 20:16
New trailer is freaking awesome. That snake charmer-like tentacle that springs up from the ground looks very sinister despite being smallfry.

Encore
29-04-12, 20:44
What's the new trailer? Can you post it here?

God I'm so anxious for this movie....:cln:

I bought the Empire magazine, very good in depth article, and has a nice interview with sir Ridley Scott. Highly recommend it. :tmb:

I'm still in awe at the brilliant casting choices. Anyone saw the amazing british TV show "The Shadow Line (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1701920/)"? If so, you'd be just as thrilled as I am in knowing that Rafe Spall is in Prometheus as well.

http://i.imgur.com/2rWqdl.jpg

paulwork
29-04-12, 20:51
here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1byZkbNB3Jw

igonge
29-04-12, 20:56
Oh my god that is looking absolutely AMAZING! :yik:

Nemo_91
29-04-12, 21:06
It looks so awesome it's not even funny... BUT they are showing too much, imo.

Stevo505
29-04-12, 21:07
Will the alien from the first movie be in it?

The Great Chi
29-04-12, 21:12
Always been a fan of the alien films, and the AVP movies.

As for this new film, its seems very easy to speculate the storyline, as it being a trap for humankind, who once having the space technology to reach an alien world destination given to them, re: second trailer, land there and spring the alien trap to send alien nasties to Earth and destroy it. (for some reason the aliens do not want Earth to conquer space).

The Prometheus crew realising they have been set up, are then dedicated to prevent the alien ship from leaving and fight against this, and going by the origonal film Alien, win and cripple the alien ship. With most or all dying in the process.

Good guess?, will soon know when the film is viewed.

igonge
29-04-12, 21:12
Will the alien from the first movie be in it?

Ridley Scott has said no.

The Great Chi
29-04-12, 21:14
No to what ?

igonge
29-04-12, 21:16
No to what ?

Sorry, I didn't see your post before I replied. I was answering steve's question.

Jedd Fletcher
06-05-12, 08:03
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/p480x480/303420_10150826146172122_634852121_9629633_1353788 849_n.jpg

Encore
06-05-12, 12:02
Is it bad that I've seen the trailers so many times, I think I already know exactly what's going to happen in the movie? :p

God, I hope Damon Lindelof throws some shocking surprises in there. As a LOST fan, I trust him enough.

knightgames
06-05-12, 12:32
But she walked around in panties in the last ten minutes only. I was actually impressed with the fact that Ripley was a female lead that was smart and strong while not being stereotypically sexy and beautiful. Usually, all the female action characters appeal to men -- they're not in the kitchen alright, but they're all impossibly thin, with big breasts and butts and beautiful, model faces. I love when someone says that action movie heroines are feminist figures, while in reality they aren't because they still represent the image of a woman that has to be visually pleasing and sexually titillating to a man's view.

In the original Alien, Scott was going to have everyone in the sleep chambers be naked. He thought better of it for ratings sake and changed it to what we saw in the movie. Ripley was preparing to enter the sleep chamber - hense the underwear. A convenient plot devise? Probably, but at least it's believable.

Back then, female heroines were quite rare let alone a sole female survivor who takes on an alien and wins. I really admire Weaver's acting. She actually seems so very stressed in the final conflict. When she presses the thrusters to destroy the alien you can feel the tension, and relief. She doesn't casually brush herself off like this was another day at the office. She's been through the ringer and you can feel it. Consider how many edit points there are in that final sequence and she maintains that whole emotional set of fear and desperation, but also a cool collectedness that allows her to think instead of running around like the typical hollywood version of a woman in peril. She was nominated for an Oscar because of her performnce in the sequel Aliens.

To see how good she really is catch Death and the Maiden.

This movie will be the movie of the summer and maybe even year to see. It'll surpass the Dark Knight, and I'm looking forward to that too. I'll go to a late viewing as there's usually not too much of a crowd and I hate interuptions by callous movie viewers.

Nemo_91
08-05-12, 11:15
Rated R (http://collider.com/prometheus-rating-rated-r/164532/).

Encore
08-05-12, 21:23
^ Read the news yesterday, FINALLY. :D I can't believe there was so much fuss around this. It's a no brainer.

igonge
08-05-12, 21:25
I had no doubts it would be rated R. Probably means here in the UK it will achieve a minimum rating of 15.

LOL at all those people bickering on imdb. "IT'S NOT A REAL R!!!!1" "FAKE R!!!" "PG-13 IN DISGUISE!!!!!1!!" "NAKED PUSH-UPS!!!111111111"

MyRaider4Life
08-05-12, 22:29
OH GOD. PLEASE DO NOT BE RATED R HEREi D:

Linoshi Croft
08-05-12, 22:34
I get into 18 movies fine. However, I have a feeling it'll only be a 15 here.. American ratings tend to be higher.

igonge
11-05-12, 18:04
http://www.bbfc.co.uk/BFF286710/
It's a 15 in the UK. BBFC classified it yesterday.

I think I'm going to go ahead and see a midnight screening. :jmp:

Linoshi Croft
11-05-12, 18:07
Told you so :p

Sir Croft
11-05-12, 18:19
Saw the trailer when I went to see The Avengers. I'm actually really excited about it, definitely going to watch it.

Dark Lugia 2
11-05-12, 18:30
Cant waaait. :D I've not been following news/trailers very closely as I want to be surprised. I want to find out how the Xenomorphs/Space Jockey are explained in this film when actually watching. I'm not expecting the entire film, or even most of it to center around the Alien films though

interstellardave
11-05-12, 18:32
I have a feeling this is going to be great... this series needs a third great entry.

Encore
12-05-12, 01:25
I'm not expecting the entire film, or even most of it to center around the Alien films though

That's good, because it definitely won't! Judging by what has been said so far, I'm fairly certain that the only major link between Prometheus and Alien will happen at the very end, as a sort of tie-in scene. I might be wrong, but this was the impression I got from all the interviews I've read so far.

paulwork
15-05-12, 11:25
Just over 2 weeks left. Sooo excited. They really are advertizing like crazy on tv at the moment. Noticed the dvd stores are also putting alien dvds on prominent display at front of store. I am 100% confident this movie will rock.

Comments have been vague, but depending on which article you read there is a treat for alien fans in the final part of the movie. Last time i was this excited for a movie was satc, and that doesnt even come close to prometheus on the excitement scale.

igonge
15-05-12, 12:57
LMAO at this Thai trailer :vlol:

kXOGDau6RYI

Is blabbering over the whole movie trailer a common practice in Thailand?

Nemo_91
15-05-12, 14:05
:vlol:

peffect
16-05-12, 00:45
Show some respect, guys!

... *watches Thai trailer*

On another note, I really hope to see actual aliens in the movie... Also, I can't help but miss Sigourney Weaver... I mean Ripley :o

igonge
16-05-12, 01:16
I believe we WILL see something similar to a Xenomorph somewhere in the film. Even if it's just a statue or picture or something. even though Ridley has said we won't, but of course he'll say that if it's a surprise.

Jedd Fletcher
16-05-12, 07:02
The best part was how he pronounced the names of the stars. "Michael Fass-BENDURH!" He tried really hard to sound epic, but sorry, he's no Don LaFontaine.

Jami393
16-05-12, 07:05
This movie looks good and I'm willing to see it but what makes it a prequel to Alien if it looks as if it doesn't have anything relating to Alien in the movie.

voltz
16-05-12, 10:24
Possible chest-buster/hybrid alien at the end?

Is blabbering over the whole movie trailer a common practice in Thailand?

"Please come again!" :wve:

moodydog
16-05-12, 23:47
cant wait! :cln:

igonge
16-05-12, 23:51
"Prometheus" writer teases possible sequels (http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/sns-rt-us-prometheus-sequelsbre84f1hb-20120516,0,3766563.story)

Slow down, man. We haven't even see the first one yet.

Encore
16-05-12, 23:52
I wish I could buy a David 8.

http://www.weylandindustries.com/david

Linoshi Croft
16-05-12, 23:59
I found the section of the video asking about what made him sad..was interesting and quite touching.

Shauni
17-05-12, 01:13
I can't wait to see this movie! :D

musicmaestro10
17-05-12, 01:36
I used to be a massive Alien and Predator fan and I am still very interested in this movie. She does make a perfect young Ripley.

igonge
17-05-12, 01:40
Who are you talking about? Ripley isn't in this movie. I don't even think she would have been born yet, since this movie apparently takes place about 50 years before "Alien".

Encore
17-05-12, 01:43
^ And even if he was speaking figuratively, Shaw is nothing like Ripley. She's a scientist.

musicmaestro10
17-05-12, 01:44

http://mimg.ugo.com/201010/61883/cuts/mary-elizabeth-winstead_528x297.jpg
http://www.dreadcentral.com/img/news/oct11/TheThingA.jpg

LOL! I am tired so my wording was most unclear. I was reffering back to this :D!

Encore
17-05-12, 01:47
A remake of Alien?!??

Yeah sure....

http://i.imgur.com/TROfZ.gif

musicmaestro10
17-05-12, 01:52
A remake of Alien?!??

Yeah sure....

I am inclimed to agree it would suck but she still looks the part IMO!

igonge
18-05-12, 00:27
I'm going to try and avoid Prometheus related media until I've actually seen it. I'm going to spoil myself too much at this rate :p

Draco
18-05-12, 01:28
...and even though Charlize Theron is a little too glamorous to be a space jockey...

Just wanted to point out, nobody shirks glamour for a role better than Charlize. She is one of the most versatile actresses of our time.

paulwork
24-05-12, 20:47
For those in Paris, the grand rex cinema is already taking reservations for next Tuesday's pre-premiere in 3d English, with French subtitles.

http://www.francebillet.com/place-spectacle/manifestation/Avant-premiere-AVANT-PREMIERE---PROMETHEUS---3D-AVOME.htm?_lang=en

Almost feel like taking the evening train just to see it, then back in work the next morning, but can just about wait a little longer until I travel there anyway at the weekend.:jmp:

Encore
25-05-12, 11:22
^ That's awesome. I love special screenings of movies, but we rarely get them here. The only time was with Star Wars Revenge of the Sith, and I went. Loved it too, it was full of true SW geeks with costumes and ****. :D

Well, I'll definnitely be watching this the day it comes out. It's a work day for me but I'll try my best. I'm SO excited about the movie.

Aphrodite22
27-05-12, 02:06
i wanna see this movie NAOOOWWWWW

Encore
29-05-12, 23:24
Awesome :D

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4bj2nM93N1r1umx4o1_1280.jpg

ShadyCroft
30-05-12, 00:02
Awesome :D

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4bj2nM93N1r1umx4o1_1280.jpg

:eek: love it! :D

voltz
30-05-12, 08:04
ok where the hell did you pick that up? I know a retro mag that would probably like to post this in next month's issue.

Nemo_91
30-05-12, 09:40
Love these pics: http://i.imgur.com/x7dFC.jpg

Admles
30-05-12, 10:20
Ticket for next week booked and paid for, can't wait :D :D :D

madtong
30-05-12, 17:36
The trailer is awsome !

http://laracroftatmadtong.blogspot.com/2012/05/prometheus-official-trailer-true-hd.html

Nemo_91
30-05-12, 18:06
89% on RottenTomatoes (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/prometheus_2012/).

/I need a Prometheus avatar. ;_;

Encore
30-05-12, 23:03
^ Love your new avatar. :tmb:

ok where the hell did you pick that up? I know a retro mag that would probably like to post this in next month's issue.

I don't know the source, I saw it while searching on google images. :o

7 days to go for me. Oh boy.

Encore
30-05-12, 23:32
A redditor shared his [spoiler free] opinion after having watched the movie in France:

Friends, being a lucky french citizen, I was able to see Prometheus for its first showing earlier today. I'll try to sum up my thoughts here: this movie is, in various ways, flawed. A few visual aspects of are mediocre at best (some prosthetics, make-up, even a few CGI shots), and the scripts contains some issues of its own.
Now that this is out of the way, there is one thing you have to know: those few flaws are literraly NOTHING compared to the overall quality of the movie. The photography is off the charts. Michael Fassbender is downright incredible. Theron and Rapace get their chances to shine, too.
And the music. Oh God the music. A beautifully written score, totally unexpected for this kind of movies in this day and age. Definitely helps bringing the movie to a whole new level.
Now, the horror and gruesomeness: not as brutal as I expected visually. But ****, when Scott was talking about "philosophical horror", he was not kidding. This goes beyond not only what I was expecting, but also what most fans have been debating in the past few months.
Concerning the Alien mythos: I don't know what I can say without spoiling stuff, but the implications are pretty huge. We're probably looking at the birth of a new franchise here; and if so, I'll be dying to see what comes next.
Oh, before I send this, there's another thing that bugged me though. The movie does a great job pleasing the Alien fans, but might seem a bit hard to approach for a more mainstream audience. But, well... worked for me :-)

Edit: WTF, double post. Sorry.

madtong
31-05-12, 00:48
The weird thing about Promotheus is that not very long time ago, 2 or 3 weeks ago in fact, i saw for the 10.346 time my fav movie, Ridley Scott "Aliens", and i was wondering about what if i was a movie director what prequel i would make to that movie... And i did not know that Ridley actually had made this... :) Great, i cant wait to see it ! See if this explain some doubt i have about where this amazing creature came from !

BtoFu
31-05-12, 04:41
My ass will be there on Friday. I'm just not riding the hype train because I can't ignore the fact that Rid hasn't made a good movie in over a decade. That is - a movie that I could see myself actively wanting to sit through again. I'd love this one to break the mould.

Nemo_91
31-05-12, 08:02
A redditor shared his [spoiler free] opinion after having watched the movie in France:

Sounds good! :D A critic on Rottentomatoes also mentioned the 'poor' script, though.

Thanks, your avatar is awesome as well. :tmb:

Encore
31-05-12, 10:56
My ass will be there on Friday. I'm just not riding the hype train because I can't ignore the fact that Rid hasn't made a good movie in over a decade. That is - a movie that I could see myself actively wanting to sit through again. I'd love this one to break the mould.

I can safely say I have enjoyed all of his movies. Some more than others.... But I liked all of them, even the ones that had poor reviews and reception. That's why I'm fairly confident about this one.

igonge
31-05-12, 11:40
Ok, I'll jump on the Prometheus avatar bandwagon :p

I read this idiotic negative review from Metro. To summarize, it was rant on how there were none of the original Aliens in the film. The reviewer was expecting an "Alien" film, even when Ridley stated on many, many, many occasions that this was not an alien film and even though the film is set within the same universe, it only shared "Alien DNA".

Can't wait to see it!! Only. One. More. Day.

Nemo_91
31-05-12, 11:56
^ One more day?? You're going to an advance screening or what?

xXhayleyroxXx
31-05-12, 11:58
It looks awesome :D Can't wait to see it.

igonge
31-05-12, 12:00
^ One more day?? You're going to an advance screening or what?

It's out tomorrow here :p

Nemo_91
31-05-12, 12:03
It's out tomorrow here :p

I hate you. :pi:

I'll probably see it next Saturday with my brother.

Edit: Lmao, all these Prometheus avatars! :p

Legend 4ever
31-05-12, 16:16
I'm seeing it in exactly seven days. I'm super excited.

Krumpet
31-05-12, 20:57
Five days to go until I see it. I can't wait! :jmp:

Encore
31-05-12, 21:07
Ok, I'll jump on the Prometheus avatar bandwagon :p

I read this idiotic negative review from Metro. To summarize, it was rant on how there were none of the original Aliens in the film. The reviewer was expecting an "Alien" film, even when Ridley stated on many, many, many occasions that this was not an alien film and even though the film is set within the same universe, it only shared "Alien DNA".

Can't wait to see it!! Only. One. More. Day.

Sadly I can see this happening more than once. Even the marketing was decent enough to not lead people to think there would be aliens in the movie, but I know that there will still be people expecting an Alien remake/sequel/whateva.

Legend 4ever
31-05-12, 21:57
I'm actually so glad that we don't get to see the Xenomorph again. The AVP movies ruined both characters so ATM seeing the Xenomorph would only remind me of those movies. And also, since there is no Xenomorph I'll actually expect more from the movie. We'll see the Space Jockey though.

igonge
01-06-12, 17:41
I just saw it. It was excellent! I had multiple massive fangasms during the last 10 minutes or so. The very very end... *squeals*. The movie raises a few new questions, though. I hope there's a sequel ;___;

9/10

Give Noomi and Michael a ****ing Oscar right now!!

Nemo_91
01-06-12, 17:44
OMGGGG. Can't wait!!

I'm watching Aliens tonight, btw.

igonge
01-06-12, 19:06
!WHITED OUT SPOILERS AHEAD!

There are a few things you need to decifer for yourself, and everyone will have their own hypothesis as to what the engineers really created us for. I gathered a couple of things, we were a failed experiment and they didn't like what their creation was becoming and they were coming to eradicate us before we became any stronger and more advanced. Or, we were simply a catalyst they created in order to be harvested for the purpose to breed the ultimate organic weapon judging by the sticky black ****, Elizabeth giving birth to the giant proto-facehugger and the proto-xenomorph queen (well it looked like a queen since it had that large head thing popping out of it's mouth like the one in "Aliens") that chestbursted out of the engineer at the very end.

A few things we still don't know for sure:

How many more ships were there on LV-223?
Were there any sleeping engineers left on the planet?
What exactly went wrong for all the Engineers to have just died like that?
Do Shaw and David get to the engineer homeworld to get her answers?
How does the engineer's ship get on LV-426?

I think there were more engineers on LV-223 judging by the chestburster queen at the end and the ship on LV-426 in "Alien". The queen must have found it's way into another with sleeping engineer's ship and laid eggs which then hatched and a facehugger got to one of them. Unaware of the alien inside him/her, the engineer takes off to do what they intended to do in the first place, wipe out Earth. Along the way at some point the Alien burst out of his/her chest and their ship crash lands on LV-426.

And that's what I think, and what a sequel should explore if there is going to be one.

Nemo_91
01-06-12, 20:06
Not reading those!

Btw, did you watch it in 3D?

igonge
01-06-12, 20:12
Yes! It's was very good 3D, especially shots inside the temple/pyramid thing. Excellent use of 3D here.

Nemo_91
01-06-12, 20:15
Yes! It's was very good 3D, especially shots inside the temple/pyramid thing. Excellent use of 3D here.

Awesome. We (my brother and I) can't decide if we should see the 3D version or not. I guess it's 3D then. :D

Domino
01-06-12, 22:37
I went to a midnight showing and it was... it was a good film. Not my favourite Ridley Scott film and of all the films set in this verse, "Aliens" is still my favourite. But still, Fassbender and Rapace and Theron did a great job at leading this film. It's by no means bad but I guess I just expected a little bit more from it.

Dark Lugia 2
02-06-12, 17:24
Seeing thia tomorrow and I haven't read any spoilers or anything. Can't wait! :D

Encore
02-06-12, 18:10
Just getting pumped for the movie, I have a week to wait.

I think after all this time, this is still my favorite preview. Teasers are always so much more exciting than trailers!

cFfhttZYoEw

Everytime I went to the cinema in the past months and they played this I got shivers down my spine. O_o

Nemo_91
02-06-12, 18:21
^ So intense! :cln:

Encore
02-06-12, 22:04
It is. I hope the movie gives me the same feeling.

I just found out a local cinema is doing a midnight showing on the first day, wee. :yah:

Nemo_91
02-06-12, 22:12
Come on next Saturday, hurry up ;_;

Encore
03-06-12, 00:40

http://i.imgur.com/9k3fE.jpg

MyRaider4Life
03-06-12, 02:26
Come on next Saturday, hurry up ;_;

Omg gurl. I'm going on the same day! We're like, twinzies!

Sgt BOMBULOUS
03-06-12, 02:39

huh?

Gamd1011
03-06-12, 02:50
huh?
The epic noise used in the trailer for Alien/Prometheus.

Dark Lugia 2
03-06-12, 02:52
:D lol

TippingWater
03-06-12, 02:58
I am really excited for this movie :D.

BtoFu
03-06-12, 03:00
Was going to go on Friday but I just couldn't be bothered. Something about dealing with opening weekend crowds. I saw Himizu instead, with a paltry half dozen others. I told myself I was going to stay away from reviews and the like but I've been reading up on the few sites that I like.

The thing to remain conscious of throughout the box office stampede is that both Alien and Blade Runner earned their stars through time and the VHS era. They faught their way up whereas Prometheus by all accounts is starting at the top of the food chain. I feel as though by design it has all the work to do and has peoples expectations ramped up so high, that these middling review scores perfectly reflect the reality of a promise that Fox couldn't hope to keep.

I'll probably go see it on Monday. Any buzz I have about it I hope to dial back until the lights go down at least.

Nemo_91
03-06-12, 09:23
Omg gurl. I'm going on the same day! We're like, twinzies!

<3

Lmao, so true :vlol:

michaeldt
03-06-12, 09:35
I'm seeing this quite soon. In 3D. And in Gold Class! :jmp:
and even though I've seen Alien (and the other Alien films) god alone knows how many times, i'm still gonna watch Alien again the night before I see it :)

Dark Lugia 2
03-06-12, 20:53
Just seen the film and I thought it was amazing!! Probably because I'm an Alien fan. I can't understand how anyone could dislike a film with such magnificent set pieces and the eest. Feeling a bit mind blown right now! :o

David is absolutely gorgeous as well, loved staring at him during the entire film... I was actually quite jealous that it was just a video image of him in front of me. :p

The 3D is some of the best I've seen in a cinema, Is recommend seeing it. There are a couple of moments where its used very well and looks spectacular.

Now, time to hunt the actor that plays David down... lol

Encore
03-06-12, 21:25
Now, time to hunt the actor that plays David down... lol

Oh my God, you didn't know him beforehand???? BLASPHEMY!

I hereby sentence you to watch all of Michael Fassbender's movies in one sitting. :pi:

Not only is he gorgeous, but I honestly consider him the best actor of the current generation.

Nemo_91
03-06-12, 22:05
Sounds good :jmp:

Legend 4ever
03-06-12, 23:08
Well, saw it tonight. Being a huge fan of the Alien series, I must say I did expect a lot from it.

What I didn't like:

- The obviously open ending, marking a start of a new series of movies. I usually hate this kind of ending in any movie, and I did not expect to get all the answers in one movie, so it's not that big of a deal.

- The ending scene that features the birth of a new creature resembling the original Xenomorph, bursting from the chest of the Engineer, mirrors many scenes present in horror movies (and the awful AVP film), in which the monster is not really dead in the end, or has evolved; this feels forced, out of place, and cliched.

- I did not like the fact (and again, this might be a problem with a lot of movies these days, not just Prometheus) that the movie seemed to be much less about telling a story and much more about showing us the images. I feel like that was something the original Alien never did. It was all about the story, it was all about the characters and their personalities, and less about showing great visuals, special effects, and scenery. It was important, yes, but not integral. This seems much more important in Prometheus.

What I did like:

- I loved the fact we were finally able to see who the Space Jockeys are.

- I loved the scene where Elizabeth has the alien surgically removed from her abdomen. That scene was probably the sickest one in the movie and I actually was shaking a bit and felt sick watching it. Noomi was great in that scene.

- I loved that Elizabeth did not die in the end. I felt like that was necessary in order for the events of the movie to fit perfectly with the events of Alien, but it looks like we have many new explanations in store.

I both loved and hated the idea of Space Jockeys aka. Engineers essentially being human. I like the idea but for some reason I feel that it's a cop-out. I wanted the bodysuit they wear to be their real body, not just an armor.

I loved Noomi Rapace, and thought the rest of the cast were pretty ****ing amazing. I felt that Theron's character was great, but painfully undeveloped. She was probably the most interesting character there along with Elizabeth and David and I was sorry to see her die. I hope we'll get to see Noomi and Michael in future sequels.

Edit: Oh, and, I was not given an option to watch it in 2D, so even though I hate 3D, I had to endure it. Let me tell you, it was not fun. I absolutely hated it. Every time I'd watched a movie in 3D I have always felt it took away from the experience. This too was the case with Prometheus. I feel like 3D glasses, which are shaded, ruin the colors, make everything darker and less vivid. My eyes also get very tired only after a while of watching a 3D movie. Not to mention how, after the movie ended, when I tried to get up, at first I couldn't, then twice I almost fell and now, two hours after the movie ended, I still feel like my head is spinning and like I'm losing balance every time I move in my seat or stand up. If you like 3D, go for it, if you're not crazy about it, don't.

Jedd Fletcher
04-06-12, 04:34
Spoilers...I shall resist the thrall of the spoilers until I see this...tomorrow....tomorrow...

wwwweeeeeeeeHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrr!!

Legend 4ever
04-06-12, 08:47
Oh, and I remembered this now. I didn't like the fact that it is never revealed David poisoned Charlie. There is a scene in which Elizabeth kinda realizes it, but then nothing happens, she doesn't confront David. Also, I didn't get why no one ever addresses Elizabeth's surgery. She never alarms the rest of the crew.

igonge
04-06-12, 13:11
Oh, and I remembered this now. I didn't like the fact that .

What do you mean it was never revealed? We saw him do it, and it seemed like Elizabeth cottoned on to it at one point. I was a bit puzzled too as to why nobody asked Elizabeth about her surgery or went to have a look at the fetus, especially David. I think the only one who was remotely concerned about it was the captain, but he never really asked her about it. Noomi was excellent during the surgery scene and the aftermath, she's such a great actress. Maybe they were all in such a hurry to get to meet the engineer that they forgot? lolno. that was really the only lazy thing about the movie, I thought.

EDIT: Wait, I got what you meant now lmao.

Legend 4ever
04-06-12, 16:12
Yeah, I meant why it was never revealed to the characters, not the audience.

BtoFu
04-06-12, 16:50
You know what this film needs? About 5 different cuts over the next decade. Only then will we probably (maybe) get Ridley's intended vision. I feel like studio paws are all over this thing. It's either that or the script is just jarringly stupid in places.

I'm looking at you Mr Geologist and Mr Biologist. You have the guy whose doing the mapping getting lost while the rest saunter back out of the ship no problem. You establish the Biologist is scared of the stuff he's traveled for two years to investigate - then he decides to play with the undulating cobra penis because that's surely not as dangerous as dead bodies . Wut? ^_^

Also feel like the last scene was unnecessary. The second half pretty much had all the Alien stamps required to pass inspection as that movie's confirmed 3rd cousin. It literally felt like a tacked on deleted scene that shoulda been kept for the on-disc extras.

Also pretty disappointed that the Engineer simply went into head smaaaaash mode without so much as a retort. I suppose I can't really even imagine what I would have wanted to hear - or if subtitles would have been warranted post-inflection. Still...it left me wanting more. Not that I wanted a Matrix Revolutions Giant Babyface or anything but ya know...

I certainly wasn't blown away by the movie on any level but I think it held up its end of the deal about as well as any quasi-Alien-existential-body horror-prequel-wink thing was ever going to. Fassbender was superb, far and away the best performance in the movie and the C-Section scene was for my money, just about as intense as its '79 counterpart. The film left me wanting more but under the right eye I consider this as paying a compliment. Scott's penchant for hovering about the cutting room floor makes me want to see a 3 hour version - let the vagaries of his mind take hold and slow this ship down because the second half is breakneck and I feel the film suffers because of it.

Legend 4ever
04-06-12, 20:09
Of course they left us wanting more, the sequels are heavily implied. They're only waiting to see the box office for this one and they'll move straight into the sequel pre-production.

Jedd Fletcher
05-06-12, 18:01
Just watched it; here's a long but spoiler-free review:

Movie Review 5/6/12

PROMETHEUS

Starring: Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron, Logan Marshall-Green,
Directed by: Ridley Scott

WeeeehhhhRRRRrrrrrrrr! WeeeehhhhRRRRrrrrrrrr! WeeeehhhhRRRRrrrrrrrr! The haunting mechanical whine that played in the background of the trailer for Prometheus and before that the trailer for 1979’s Alien was the sound science-fiction fans were overjoyed and excited to hear again after so long. It was the sound that heralded director Ridley Scott’s return to the world he helped create with Alien, and marked his first science-fiction film since 1982’s Blade Runner, in its own right a landmark sci-fi film. The film world has been bristling with anticipation and now, Prometheus has landed.

The story tells of an expedition into outer space in search of the origins of life on earth. In 2089, archaeologist Dr Elizabeth Shaw (Rapace) and her colleague/love interest Charlie Holloway (Marshall-Green) discover a cave painting on the Scottish Isle of Skye that corresponds to others discovered at sites across the world and spanning millennia. The painting depicts and star map, and funded by the aging multibillionaire CEO Peter Weyland (Pearce), Shaw, Holloway and their crew travel across the cosmos to a distant moon. Weyland Corp employee Meredith Vickers (Theron) oversees the expedition with a watchful eye, assisted by the advanced android David (Fassbender). The crew makes one groundbreaking discovery after the other, coming to the conclusion that humanoid beings called the Engineers was the genesis of life on earth, but encounters more than they bargained for as the mission unspools and they find they should be more concerned about survival than existential head-scratchers.

The film is best-described as an indirect prequel to Alien – it’s a different beast, but clearly of the same ancestry. This reviewer watched Alien with Ridley Scott’s audio commentary before watching Prometheus, and Scott muses about the mysterious “Space Jockey”, what his purpose in the story was, who or what he might have been and the nature of his cargo of alien eggs. Scott has said that he wondered why the directors who took on the Alien sequels never addressed this, and has his chance to remedy this big-time in Prometheus. That strange skeletal figure is central to the story, and where Alien was a locked-house thriller confined to the dank spaceship Nostromo, Prometheus is far more ambitious in scope and practically announces its intention to be an epic film. It even pulls off making the oft-ridiculed “ancient aliens” theory seem somewhat plausible.

Prometheus tangles with omnipresent philosophical themes and attempts to tackle the issue of science vs. religion, mixed in with a “curiosity killed the cat” cautionary tale, all on a grand and involving scale. It’s a movie that aims very high, and results in an absorbing and challenging viewer experience. There aren’t just plot twists; there are plot twists on steroids. At times, the intensity is at a fever pitch and may leave audiences desperately gasping for air and reeling in shock. It’s a film that requires the audience to do some thinking – however, this is not necessarily a completely good thing. Towards the end of the film, multiple plot points and bits and pieces are tossed at the audience, and it’s near impossible to connect the dots as the story unfolds before your eyes. Several connections to the original film feel a tad forced and superfluous. As much as one wants to get swept up in the breathtaking moment, one also struggles to sort out all this sensory input. This niggling bit is ultimately difficult to reconcile, and the film occasionally buckles under the weight of the philosophical overtones.

One thing that’s for sure is that the picture is lavishly produced and has a really rich atmosphere. While the Nostromo was a creaky, lived-in commercial freighter, the Prometheus is slick, state-of-the-art and ultra high-tech (it’s interesting in the same way the Star Wars prequels look far more refined than the original trilogy). The barren moon of LV-223 doesn’t look terribly interesting, but inside the cave complex the atmosphere is chilling and menacing and ties neatly into the Space Jockey’s ship. Production designer Arthur Max’s impressive physical sets complement the impressive digital effects, and the lack of an over-reliance on the latter is welcome amongst blockbusters infested with overblown, plasticky CGI. The creature designs are generally excellent and carry over the aliens’ sometimes-obvious sexual imagery from the other films, and all of these beings look decidedly creepy.

An important component of any deep-space expedition movie is the crew. The cast is more than competent; however there are several characters that practically announce that they won’t make it too far, taking some of the fun out of guessing how each of them ends up. Noomi Rapace leads the charge as the typically strong but multi-dimensional woman found in many Ridley Scott films. Dr Elizabeth Shaw is put through the wringer and a whole host of horrible things happen to the character, Rapace pulling us in completely. Her performance during what is arguably the most intense, gory scene of the movie is harrowing and powerful. As her love interest, Logan Marshall-Green embodies a sort of nave enthusiasm as a character who is as much an adrenaline junkie as he is a scientist. The two have a fairly interesting dynamic that isn’t given a whole lot of attention, but is fun to watch.

Michael Fassbender plain steals the show from everyone else. Playing an android realistically is a remarkable acting challenge few performers pull off seamlessly – Fassbender is certainly one of them, mastering the facial tics, vocal inflection and body language to teeter on the edge of the uncanny valley. He definitely invokes HAL 9000 from the sci-fi classic 2001: A Space Odyssey in the way the character begins as seemingly childlike but gradually acquires human characteristics; not all of them savoury ones. Machines are usually clear-cut and precise, but David’s moral ambiguity is intriguing in the extreme. Charlize Theron’s icy, no-nonsense, and businesslike Meredith Vickers has something lurking below the surface, and is a character that in the hands of a lesser actor could turn out laughably flat, but is played with care by Theron. Guy Pearce is caked in slightly less-than-convincing makeup as an old man but still makes something of an impact as someone who is powerful in spite of his frailty.

Those looking forward to a masterful science-fiction film packed with captivating visuals, impressive performances, the thrills and body-horror gore expected of the franchise will mostly not be disappointed. Viewers are advised not to expect a carbon copy of Alien, and the slightly muddy bits of plot are compensated for by an altogether-dazzling end product.

SUMMARY: Hop aboard the Prometheus: there may be a little turbulence, but you’re not going to regret taking the ride.

RATING: 4/5 STARS

The Great Chi
05-06-12, 18:14
Saw it today. Very dissapointing :(

Bad acting. Typical lets all split up and die. Typical lets go over to that dangerous thing and say hello. And the pilot instantly deciding to commit his ship to a one way ticket to oblivion, and his two sidekick crew says yeh lets die as well, great fun. What !

This definately goes down as a real B movie for me, which is a pity as I expected much better.

Lets hope 'the Hobbit' lives up to expectations at the end of the year, as this si-fi film did not.

Encore
05-06-12, 21:09
^ Okay (http://i.imgur.com/Vcjek.gif)...

Dark Lugia 2
05-06-12, 21:26
Oh my God, you didn't know him beforehand???? BLASPHEMY!

I hereby sentence you to watch all of Michael Fassbender's movies in one sitting. :pi:

Not only is he gorgeous, but I honestly consider him the best actor of the current generation.

Blasphemy indeed, I can;t believe that I haven't heard of him before! :(

Haha, definitely going to do that some time soon, I'll make a day of it... :pi:

He really is an amazing actor, I hope I'll like him in his other films. I think I'm more in love with David as a character! :o

Are you seeing it on the 8th, Encore? I've forgotten when exactly the film is released in other countries. :o

Its interesting to read everyone's reviews. Thanks all for posting! :tmb:

Encore
06-06-12, 00:23
I've been hearing only great things about David (the character), so I'm not surprised you sort of fell in love with him.

I would recommend you watch what I consider to be Fassbender's masterpieces, Hunger and Shame; what he did in those two movies completely blew me away, it's pure genius. However they're extremely shocking movies so beware. Next I'd recommend the much more friendly X-Men: First Class because he makes a SUPERB Magneto.

I'm going to watch Prometheus tomorrow at midnight. :jmp: Movie comes out on Thursday so they have a special midnight screening tomorrow. Yay!

Admles
06-06-12, 08:27
Off to see this now, here's hoping for a good night!

Nemo_91
06-06-12, 08:45
Off to see this now, here's hoping for a good night!

That's so weird, I just woke up :vlol:

The Great Chi
06-06-12, 10:28
^ Okay (http://i.imgur.com/Vcjek.gif)...Glad you agree, that its one big B movie ;)

Admles
06-06-12, 12:52
Well, I enjoyed that.

Sure, the story line is a bit scattered, but overall, I really enjoyed myself :)

MyRaider4Life
06-06-12, 12:57
<3

Soz bebz. We're no longer twinzies. I went to see it tonight, since I couldn't resist. :p

I'd give it a 7.5/8. It was really good, although I was hyping myself up for more action and I was unfortunately let down. Definitely not better than the first Alien by a long shot, but still worth watching, for sure! :3

Nemo_91
06-06-12, 13:28
^ I hate you.

Nothing's better than Alien, tbh.

TombRaiderLover
06-06-12, 19:11
I saw this on Friday night in 3D and thought it was brilliant. My opinion opposes that of those who think the first half is better than the second half. I was worried during the first thirty minutes or so because the dialogue was a mixed bag and I found some of the minor characters irritating. However, I became increasingly immersed in the film and it did not disappoint. Exciting, thought-provoking and wonderful to look at. I like that it chose to leave various things unanswered. I'd welcome a sequel, but at the same time, I like the ambiguity and that it doesn't tie directly into Alien.

Nemo_91
06-06-12, 19:19
^ Sounds good. :tmb: I'm seeing it on Saturday in IMAX. Not sure about that though... I hope the 3D is good.

TombRaiderLover
06-06-12, 19:26
^ Sounds good. :tmb: I'm seeing it on Saturday in IMAX. Not sure about that though... I hope the 3D is good.
I've read less-than-complimentary things about Prometheus in IMAX. Because it wasn't filmed in that format, it's essentially an upconvert and it supposedly doesn't look very good. I thought the 3D was great. It worked really well and enhanced the various effects. Even my girlfriend who usually dislikes 3D and is left with a headache was impressed (and it didn't give her a headache, either!)

igonge
06-06-12, 22:51
I think the only thing that let this movie down and what really bothered me was why nobody cared that Shaw gave herself an abortion, or even went to see the thing that came out of her. I would have thought that David would have gone to investigate. And Vickers would have ran right past the room when she was escaping. And did nobody notice the trail of blood? lol there has to be something that was cut from the film at around that point.

Dark Lugia 2
07-06-12, 01:06
I think the only thing that let this movie down and what really bothered me was
lol there has to be something that was cut from the film at around that point.

Yeah, I kept wondering why no one noticed and kept asking myself why Shaw didn't bring it to anyone's attention. Like GUYS, I JUST HAD A C-SECTION FOR MY ALIEN BABY! :p

Does anyone remember what Weylan asked David to tell to the surviving engineer? It clearly.pissed him off lol

Encore
07-06-12, 02:43
I just came back from the theater. :D I'm still a bit under the "shockwave" of this first viewing so it's hard to make a coherent, unbiased opinion of the movie.

I can say that I think the movie is very powerful, even in spite of its flaws, and could definitely use another hour, to give a little more depth to some characters and scenes, and perhaps to show more horror scenes. I only say this because the horror scenes are ****ing AWESOME. The scene where Millburn and Fifield are attacked is so brutal, it was probably the one scene that most reminded me of the original Alien. And that beast at the end, ya know, the facehugger on steroids, that was some pretty nasty ****, I think it's gonna give me nightmares. ;__;

But yeah, like I said, the movie is very powerful, because it combines those horror concepts with other timeless ideas of science fiction. It gives off a very twisted and depressing vibe to the eternal questions of "where we come from" and "why are we here". The visuals and general design of the movie is just brilliant. And David is absolutely superb; though I wasn't surprised with Fassbender's work because I know he is an acting genius - I was surprised at how interesting the character itself was. Certainly a new addition to the sci-fi "hall of fame" along classics like Roy Batty and HAL.

I was a bit disappointed that we don't get some of the answers we have from the original Alien, namely that this obviously wasn't the same ship the crew in Alien encounters, just like the creatures weren't quite the same ; and that the ending of the film just screams SEQUEL everywhere. But if Ridley is involved in the sequel, and this wasn't just some producer wanting to make sure the story can be milked, then I'm happy to wait for more.

About the c-section scene (which was awesome BTW), I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt. At that point of the story, all hell had broken loose already, and they knew that the alien ship carried a biological weapon of mass destruction. When Elizabeth got rid of the thing, I think understanding what it was was the last thing on her mind, and she just wanted to understand why the engineers had made such a horrible disease in the first place. The fact that the others didn't seem interested in knowing what happened, is probably just related to the fact that they were pretty much in a state of emergency with everything going on. Yeah I agree that this is a stretch though and that scene did not get the aura of importance it most definitely deserved. Just like Weyland's appearence didn't get the appropriate treatment to give it a more shocking impact.

I'm totally gonna watch it again this weekend. At the second viewing, I'll probably have a clearer idea of what rating it deserves.

Nemo_91
07-06-12, 09:44
:jmp: Everyone is so ahead of me. Not. Fair. X_X

Spong
07-06-12, 09:46
I really want to see this. But not enough to pay extortionate cinema fees.

EscondeR
07-06-12, 09:50
@ Encore: I guess the creatures were different in Prometheus and Alien just because in Alien creatures were already based on human DNA somehow transfered during Prometheus events, and in Prometheus the "weapon" was based or developed using the hosts DNA. :)

michaeldt
07-06-12, 10:41
Seeing this tomorrow in 3D and Gold class! :jmp:

Encore
07-06-12, 10:58
@Esconder: I definitely agree with you there, but I think the facehugger and xenomorph we've come to know was a result of the black goo interacting with human (not engineer) DNA in events posterior to this movie - in fact my theory is that the space jockey seen in Alien is quite possibly Elizabeth herself, having become infected with the newer variety of creatures, and sending a warning beacon to all ships not to get near her. :pi: The only question is if Ridley and the writers purposedly didn't want to show us that next evolutionary step just so they weren't too redundant and obvious, or if this is material for the sequel.

@Nemo: I can't wait to hear your opinion on the film. :tmb:

EscondeR
07-06-12, 11:04
^ So you suspect that Elizabeth got mutated in some interspecies, otherwise I can't explain the size of space jokey seen in the Alien movie :confused:

Encore
07-06-12, 11:08
Well now that we know the space jockey was actually just a suit, I think it's possible. But since I've only seen this film once this is just me randomly theorizing stuff. :o I'd have to think it through better......... or I really need a sequel to know, because it's really bugging me.

igonge
07-06-12, 11:11
Glad to hear you enjoyed it :D

EscondeR
07-06-12, 11:12
Well spoiler

Still the suit must be fitting, this is what my assumption is based on ;)

The sequel showing all that would be interesting indeed :D

Legend 4ever
07-06-12, 11:21
Yeah, I was disappointed with the fact that the alien ship is not the one from Alien and that the Space Jockey is not the one from Alien. They led us to believe that we would visit the same site, even though when the movie started it was already established it's not the same planet. I still wanted it to be though :/ I really want to know what David asked the Engineer, I just hope that it's not just some gibberish the Engineer didn't understand and just decided to kill them all because they are human.

EscondeR
07-06-12, 11:24
^ I suppose David asked "the engineer" if he could heal the old man/make immortal (i.e. forwarded the request)... and the engineer considered the request selfish and human-like and worth doing what they have planned already... and kicked some arses :D

igonge
07-06-12, 11:24
I forgot, what did Weyland get David to say to the Engineer? The engineer was probably all "HOW DARE YOU ASK ME THAT!!... YOU BITCH!!!" :pi:

Dark Lugia 2
07-06-12, 11:27
Glad you liked it Encore! :D Your theory has gotten me really excited. I can't wait to see the film again. :jmp:

Encore
07-06-12, 21:23
I actually never thought that what David asks the engineer was that important, my first reaction to that scene was simply that the engineers really, REALLY, despised mankind, and that he didn't even care what they had to say. I think that's the ultimate mystery of the movie - why these creatures that initially supported mankind, suddenly decided to kill us all. But reading other people's posts here has made me think twice.

BTW isn't anyone wondering about the opening scene (before the title)? That looks an awful lot like Earth. O_o

Legend 4ever
07-06-12, 22:14
^That is Earth. The first scene shows the creation of the mankind.

Encore
07-06-12, 23:02
How come, if the material he eats is the same "weapon of mass destruction" that the monsters come from? :confused:

Dark Lugia 2
08-06-12, 01:12
The material destroyed the engineer and his DNA forms the basis of human life, I think its made clear by the close ups of the DNA being dispersed in that waterwall. Plus the scientists discover that human DNA descended from the engineer DNA in that later scene. I suppose the organic material either lost its effect after it consumed the engineer or it eventually died out and allowed for human evolution to occur.

Does anyone know what on earth was happening when the scientists put the electrode in the engineers head? I couldn't tell if it was alive or if the movements were just muscle contractions stimulated by the electric current, the engineer looked like it wanted to scream for help...

Jedd Fletcher
08-06-12, 04:16
^ I think Dr Shaw said she was trying to trick the Engineer's severed head into thinking it was alive, by doing something to the nerves. So I don't think it was actually alive, but was briefly under the impression it was.

MangelinaJolie
08-06-12, 04:33
Leaving to see this momentarily! :D If I can remember to, I will post my thoughts when I return.

EscondeR
08-06-12, 05:40
How come, *spoiler* :confused:

The *spoiler*

Exactly this.
I suppose that matter is some universal geneforming crap, which only looks like the same through the movie, but has probably different deviations in different cases and causes various effects. This leads us to our idea how Elizabeth could be transformed and how "human oriented" aliens appeared (in the supposed sequel) :)

michaeldt
08-06-12, 05:52
seeing this in half an hour! :jmp:

MangelinaJolie
08-06-12, 08:13
I loved every moment of it, but it certainly felt like there could have been a bit more, and that there was a substantial amount of footage cut that would have made it a more cohesive experience overall. Highlights of the film were the obvious choices: every scene with the weapons present, the abdominal surgery and dare I say the scene where Vickers confronted her father. Several of the scenes were nearly perfect with the intensity they provided. I feel like I need to see this again if not just for them.

Legend 4ever
08-06-12, 15:37
I'm definitely seeing it again, this time not in 3D.

igonge
08-06-12, 22:03
I think I might go and see it again next week. I'll take my friend along with me since I just made her watch the Alien films and Blade Runner, now she wants to see it :p

Nemo_91
08-06-12, 22:06
Seeing it tomorrow, can't wait. :jmp:

jackali
08-06-12, 22:48
I really enjoyed this film. Saw it a couple of days ago. I've been spinning theories ever since on how to link the end to the start of Alien. :p
Still, as much as I liked the film it could never top Alien for me.

Encore
08-06-12, 23:10
^ I think the best thing about Ridley's approach is precisely that it doesn't aim to top Alien, considering how different the very concept of the movie is. On the other hand, I suspect there will still be plenty of negative opinions based on expectations people had from Alien.

jackali
08-06-12, 23:41
^ Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's bad because I'm comparing it to Alien (I'm not saying it's bad at all!). I like it on its own merits but it's hard not to compare it. It's a prequel. Not to mention, saying that the concept is so different that it's not entirely comparable is like saying you can't compare Alien to Aliens or even Alien 3 (I like to pretend Resurrection didn't happen ;)). Even though the concepts of the first two films were so vastly different, it's impossible not to compare them.

Encore
08-06-12, 23:55
I find it hard to compare them because the genre itself is so different. Alien was pure, raw, sci-fi horror, and that's all it focused on. But Prometheus is an epic sci-fi movie with some horror elements.

saying that the concept is so different that it's not entirely comparable is like saying you can't compare Alien to Aliens or even Alien 3 (I like to pretend Resurrection didn't happen ;)).

Actually it's not the same thing, because all the Alien movies had one thing in common, they were all ultimately about the xenomorphs. Prometheus isn't. In part it's the story of their conception, yes, but if you seen the movie you'll know that this is more of an "easter egg" than the actual purpose of the movie.

EscondeR
09-06-12, 05:22
(I like to pretend Resurrection didn't happen ;)).

Hmmm... Sometimes I think I can watch anything Alien-like with Sigourney :cln: I guess it'll depend on the movie though... If they manage to make it that crappy, that even Siggy can't save it... :D

Prometheus is actually valuable because of its idea of creation. All bonds with Alien are merely an excellent bonus for fans.

Yet I'd like some other franchizes to have this kind of bonuses more...
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o307/EscondeR_Croft/if-you-know-what-i-mean-420x250.png

Encore
09-06-12, 13:37
I never seen Ressurection. Don't plan on doing it either. :pi:

Honestly, the first Alien was the only movie in the original franchise that I truly consider myself a fan of. It totally blew me away. It's one of the most perfect sci-fi movies ever. The others... I like them but mostly out of curiosity regarding the characters and universe itself, because in terms of actual movie making, only Alien is a masterpiece IMO.

Regarding Prometheus, you guys should read this (http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1). This dude has put some serious thought into it. :vlol: (has spoilers, of course)

PS: I know exactly what you mean EscondeR. :pi:

EscondeR
09-06-12, 16:10
Two thoughts appear right away after reading that (link above):

1. It's no doubt very interesting from the merely theoretical point of view... and I see the same ideas which were voiced here on TRF in that exactly thread.

But 2. The ability of people to bind everything to religious stuff is sometimes ultimately disgusting for me. I'm emphasising again "to bind to religious stuff" not to the matter of individual faith.
That's not about members here voicing their theories or the person behind that link above voicing his one, but mostly about Ridley Scott whos intentions in that movie are quite clear even before reading the post behind the link (maybe not that detailed, but still clear). Yet, I must say that's common for people getting old...
Well that's me and my personal POV only. Y'all know I hate religion as a phenomenon.

Nemo_91
09-06-12, 20:09
Loved loved loved the film. Visually it was so stunning. The IMAX was really good. We got more questions than answers, but as I said in the Last Film You Watched thread, I don't think that's a bad thing. I love speculating, lol. :p I wanted to see more of Charlize Theron's character, most people seem to hate it, but I think she was an interesting character. Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace were both brilliant.

I ****ing loved the ending, even though it screams sequel. I do hope they'll explain a bit more in the next film though.

Does anyone else thinks that the Xenomorph at the end could be a Queen? I mean, she has that different mouth, I can't explain it. :confused:

I saw this comment on youtube, it's interesting :p

Just to throw a guess out there: The space jockeys are obsessed with war and science and so they create the aliens to fight wars for them it gets out of hand and now they have a huge problem on their hands. They finally have them contained and here come the humans bumbling about and we eff their **** up and this movie happens?

Encore
09-06-12, 21:22
I'm glad you liked the movie. :D I'm on the same boat, I don't mind the unanswered questions and the obvious hint at a sequel provided it's the same people doing it.

I was just thinking that it's interesting how Prometheus touches the same issues that 2001: A Space Odyssey did. You have:
- Aliens being responsible for the evolution of mankind
- A crew of humans who go into outer space in search for these aliens
- A crew member of artificial intelligence that endangers the lives of all the others for the sake of its mission/
- Crew members evolving into a new creature on account of contact with the aliens/

And yet, 2001 was a fairly optimistic take on these concepts, with the aliens being benevolent; while Prometheus is very pessimistic and the aliens are engineers both of creation and destruction.

Nemo_91
09-06-12, 21:42
Yeah, it did remind me of Space Odyssey :D

Even though the film was two hours long, I felt it was too short. Too bad Ridley Scott said he won't release the Director's Cut. :/

Btw, some awesome scans from the art book here: http://prometheusfrance.forumdefans.com/t36-le-livre-officiel-informations-officielles

Encore
09-06-12, 22:08
Thank you so much for that link!!!! It's incredible! :eek: It seems there was a lot of craftsmanship involved, and not just CGI. Honestly, I think the visuals of the movie alone make it a gem. It deserves a few technical Oscar nominations (makeup, special effects, sound).

Ashnod
09-06-12, 22:33
I am unimpressed. Visually speaking it was wonderful. Fantastic use of 3D. Well acted.

Story was ... meh.

Dark Lugia 2
09-06-12, 22:54
Thanks so much for the link Nemo! I can't wait.for my copy to arrive now :D

Catapharact
10-06-12, 20:41
I am unimpressed. Visually speaking it was wonderful. Fantastic use of 3D. Well acted.

Story was ... meh.

Really? It sure as hell beats the crap out of anything that was played in theaters this year thus far.

I just watched it today and for anyone who got interested in Astrophysics, Biology and Chemistry to answer the bigger questions of life and who created us, I def. recommend you watch this movie! Ridley Scott just knows how to pull at my heart strings. Everything I believe in (Religion, God, Why we exist) can be summed up in that movie.

Simply amazing!

The movie however isn`t without its plot holes:

SPOILER:

1) Why did our creator want to kill the us? What were they planing on creating on Earth if they needed to purge it of its life? Was Earth going to be the test site for their new weapon? Was that the reason why we were created?

2) Instead of sacrificing Prometheus, why didn't they just jettison the smaller craft into the super human's ship to see if that would disable it?

3) What was the purpose for spiking Holloway's drink with the substance that David (android) put on his finger? Was it because he did not know what the purpose of the mixture was or the intent of our creators before he went in the control room of the ship?

4) And offcourse the most important question; Did the Captain go in Miss Vickers' room in 10 mins. or not? Alright that one is a joke :p.

interstellardave
10-06-12, 22:58
^^^ Well, Cat, those are good questions that I had as well.

#1. That's the most obvious question that the movie, itself, brings up. It leaves room for a sequel so that may be why it isn't answered yet. Artistically speaking it also leaves room, should there be no sequel, for the viewer to believe what they choose to believe: a point that was mentioned more than once in the movie, so maybe it's a nod to the fact that some things aren't ever definitively answered?

#2. Perhaps in the immediacy of the moment the captain believed that going "all the way" was the only way to be sure? Trying something less, if it failed, might not give them another shot at it.

#3. This one puzzles me most of all. The wife and I discussed this in the car on the way home. As near as we can guess it may have just been his way of testing what would happen... and, though he was dishonest, he did ask him "how far he would go" to get the answers he sought. Perhaps this was how he justified--if he even needed to do so--his actions?

#4. Oh yeah, you know she did!

Encore
10-06-12, 23:36
About number 3: David's orders were to figure out if the engineers had the solution to immortality on humans. When he saw the vases with black liquid on that room he probably assumed that, if there was anything in there related to "creating life", that would be it. Since, at that point of the story, it was assumed that all engineers were dead, and he couldn't get any answers directly from them, he decided that seeing what the black liquid actually does would be his only way of finding out whether or not it would work for Weyland./

It's the cold determination with which he does it that disturbed me. O_o David is creepy.

Dark Lugia 2
10-06-12, 23:49
I both love and am frustrated by how open-ended the film is. I love reading other people's interpretations and yet want official answers now! :p I wonder how long it'll take for pre-production to start, assuming that Ridley has even decided to pursue one. I know that having scripts written can take months...

ozzman
11-06-12, 00:08
^ i have a feeling that they crash on LV426 and thus begins Alien, i need to watch the alien films again XD

also
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpkgggKFi01qbjumwo1_500.jpg

Encore
11-06-12, 00:19
I both love and am frustrated by how open-ended the film is. I love reading other people's interpretations and yet want official answers now! :p I wonder how long it'll take for pre-production to start, assuming that Ridley has even decided to pursue one. I know that having scripts written can take months...

I honestly think both Ridley Scott and Damon Lindelof had a sequel in mind while writing this film, everything they've said in interviews suggested it. Specially Lindelof, who I remember saying the story was designed to spawn a whole new franchise on its own. The problem is that they're not the ones to decide. First rule about getting a sequel done is: first movie has to be successful enough. We'll have to wait and see how Prometheus does overall, in terms of box office.

Catapharact
11-06-12, 00:30
#1. That's the most obvious question that the movie, itself, brings up. It leaves room for a sequel so that may be why it isn't answered yet. Artistically speaking it also leaves room, should there be no sequel, for the viewer to believe what they choose to believe: a point that was mentioned more than once in the movie, so maybe it's a nod to the fact that some things aren't ever definitively answered?

#2. Perhaps in the immediacy of the moment the captain believed that going "all the way" was the only way to be sure? Trying something less, if it failed, might not give them another shot at it.

#3. This one puzzles me most of all. The wife and I discussed this in the car on the way home. As near as we can guess it may have just been his way of testing what would happen... and, though he was dishonest, he did ask him "how far he would go" to get the answers he sought. Perhaps this was how he justified--if he even needed to do so--his actions?

About number 3: *spoiler*/

It's the cold determination with which he does it that disturbed me. O_o David is creepy.

These are exactly the answers that I thought of as well to those unexplained plot holes but one just cannot shake off that itch as to if these answers are the ones that actually truly fit the plotline :p. But then again, leaving the plot open to interpretation is one of the traits I love about Ridley Scott`s directing. He gives his audience enough credit to challenge their prespective of the movie and let them theorize and guess as what the answers to those burning questions are.

Curiosity... Its such a double-edged sword for us humans :p.

One more burning question though:

SPOILER:

How the hell did Dr. Shaw managed to walk let alone fight after that emergency C-section procedure? Her abdominal muscles were not even reconnected after the operation and the pod just stapled her up. Its medically impossible for you to even stand up properly without your abdominal muscles being in tip top condition.

interstellardave
11-06-12, 02:14
I think this guy has the answers (fascinating read which seems very much on point):

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1

madtong
11-06-12, 13:04
Well, i saw the movie yesterday, great movie ok but... Nothing to do with Alien... Not the same style, not the same universe... Like someone already said here, the Alien connection on Prometheus is a bonus and Prometheus could and SHOULD been made without that connection with Alien universe... And in fact, as a fan of Alien, my all time fav movie, i did not like the explanation Prometheus give, i prefer to think that Alien is the result of natural evolution and not the fruit of an laboratory experiment, created to kill mankind... About Ridley, you should know one thing: Alien was not is idea, he was only invited to do the movie, but he is not the real father of the idea, so it is natural that some points of Prometheus don't fit on Alien verse... The space jokey we see on Alien ? Could be one of the engineers that managed to escape from the infection, being infected himself without knowing and then killed by the "mother" of the eggs Ripley crew find on alien movie...
So, if you see Prometheus as a stand alone, forgetting all you know about Alien, it is a great movie in fact... If you see it trough Alien verse point of view, it is very disappointing in fact. But im waiting for the sequel, im absolutely sure that is gonna be one, without any Alien creature this time.

:)

interstellardave
11-06-12, 13:34
I completely disagree... I think it fits very well with Alien. The original movie never explained anything regarding the origin of the Aliens, or the ship, or the Jockey. Any pre-conceived notions about those points, and how they fit or do not fit, with the story Prometheus tells, are just those of the viewer. I don't see any inherent disconnect between the 2 movies themselves.

Spong
11-06-12, 13:38
Madagascar 3 trumps Prometheus at the US box office!? Seriously, WTF!?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18393200

Nemo_91
11-06-12, 13:55

Well, I think 50 million is actually pretty good for an R rated movie.

Legend 4ever
11-06-12, 15:31
I completely disagree... I think it fits very well with Alien. The original movie never explained anything regarding the origin of the Aliens, or the ship, or the Jockey. Any pre-conceived notions about those points, and how they fit or do not fit, with the story Prometheus tells, are just those of the viewer. I don't see any inherent disconnect between the 2 movies themselves.

Precisely.

Prometheus seems to be doing great at the box office TBH.

Dark Lugia 2
11-06-12, 15:53

Its the first real major family-oriented film released in a while. Couple that with it being Summer and cinemas will be packed with kids and their parents :p

Legend 4ever
11-06-12, 16:09
Still, I would've taken my kid to see Prometheus over that Madagascar crap any day. Come to think of it, there were a few parents with children in the audience when I went to see it.

Jedd Fletcher
11-06-12, 16:48
I just got back from seeing this a second time, and unusually, I enjoyed it even more than the first time around. You'd think that after all the initial surprises and shocks had been experienced before, the second go-round would be lacking, but it was just the opposite. I was reeled in and went along for the ride, and that's one of the bigger strengths of the movie. It's an emotional experience that has you invested, it's only afterwards when you connect the dots that you may find a plot hole or three. I really appreciated Noomi Rapace's incredible performance even more, and having some foreknowledge, was able to catch some tiny bits of foreshadowing. For example,
when the hologram of Peter Weyland is saying David is the closest thing to a son he has, there's a quick close-up of a seething Vickers. It is later revealed that Vickers is Peter's biological daughter (frozen sperm, perhaps), and also gives context to her friction with David.

Also, during the goriest scene of the film, I heard an audience member behind me go "what the ****!" - I love movies that elicit big responses, that make you feel something and absorb you so much so that you don't go "that's just special effects" or "that's just a puppet", which many movies might make you feel.

It is a really good film, all perceived disappointments notwithstanding. I look forward to watching in-depth behind-the-scenes material on the Blu-ray or DVD release and perhaps listening to a commentary. There are several excellent behind-the-scenes documentaries about Alien and Aliens, and it's particularly interesting to hear other significant behind-the-scenes figures besides Ridley Scott such as Dan O'Bannon, Ronald Shussett, HR Giger and Ron Cobb explain the journey Alien took before reaching the screen.

EscondeR
11-06-12, 17:07
...And in fact, as a fan of Alien, my all time fav movie, i did not like the explanation Prometheus give, i prefer to think that Alien is the result of natural evolution and not the fruit of an laboratory experiment, created to kill mankind...

They could be such and could be not - both variants are equally possible. So I don't think that Prometheus brings some problems into Alien universe, not in that aspect at least :)

Encore
11-06-12, 21:53
^ I always thought that the emphasis put on the original Alien on how perfect the xenomorph is (remember how Ash comments on that), was a hint that it was bioengineered. I'm not saying this just because we have Prometheus now, I honestly thought that many years ago when I first watched it.

and having some foreknowledge, was able to catch some tiny bits of foreshadowing. For example,
*spoilers*

Yeah, the first time I watched it I already felt a strange vibe from the scene where Vickers confronts David. They were purposedly filmed under that blue light that made everything very uniform, and being both blond and blue eyed (and physically perfect), they looked insanely alike. O_O That scene was designed on purpose to make you feel that they were related somehow. /

I agree with you, I can't wait to watch this on blu-ray. Hopefully with a few deleted scenes. :pi:

Dark Lugia 2
11-06-12, 21:59
I can't wait for the Blu-ray either, first day buy for definite! :D I bet there are a few deleted scenes, despite Fox and Ridley initially claiming that the film would be released without any cuts.

ozzman
11-06-12, 23:31
there is a huge time gap between P and alien . alien takes place in 2179, there is time for the xenomorphs to evolve , now we need alien reimaging XD

larafan25
12-06-12, 02:31
I want to see this movie, my sister saw it today and came home and told me the entire plot.

It sounds cool.