PDA

View Full Version : Send this to Occupiers; they need to learn how the real world works

Solice
30-12-11, 02:39
Rather than making excuses, sitting on her butt and being a nuisance, she is working her way up (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/first-person-8-10-hour-36-000-061900332.html)

What can she do next? Keep working and getting business experienced, get a Masters part-time (avoiding costly loans) in some area where jobs are plentiful or plan out her own business.

When I got out of college, this is what I did. It was during a recession, so I took crap jobs for low pay. I went from minimum wage in Retail, to 29K, went back to school, worked my way up, and now I make 120K a year.

If I sat around blaming some nebulous entity, like "The Rich", I would be on the bottom and begging the government for more welfare.

Draco
30-12-11, 04:06
Indeed and all those jobs that pay minimum wage most places are paying 20-80% more in North Dakota.

Solice
30-12-11, 05:03
Indeed and all those jobs that pay minimum wage most places are paying 20-80% more in North Dakota.

I do feel bad for those 20 somethings. They need to go to the school of hard knocks...or the School of Rock. whichever :D

domino92
30-12-11, 05:17
I think the Occupiers have more of a problem with how the country is run, and it's not about the success stories, but the massive amounts of failure stories.

XtremeJenn
30-12-11, 06:45
Rather than making excuses, sitting on her butt and being a nuisance, she is working her way up (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/first-person-8-10-hour-36-000-061900332.html)

What can she do next? Keep working and getting business experienced, get a Masters part-time (avoiding costly loans) in some area where jobs are plentiful or plan out her own business.

When I got out of college, this is what I did. It was during a recession, so I took crap jobs for low pay. I went from minimum wage in Retail, to 29K, went back to school, worked my way up, and now I make 120K a year.

If I sat around blaming some nebulous entity, like "The Rich", I would be on the bottom and begging the government for more welfare.

Good for you! I think everyone should have this mentality. Just out of curiosity, what line of work are you in?

Draco
30-12-11, 11:23
I think the Occupiers have more of a problem with how the country is run, and it's not about the success stories, but the massive amounts of failure stories.

All failure is is another chance to succeed. I'm going to be a millionaire by the time I'm 35. I'm going to be independently wealthy by the time I'm 40.

I'm not sitting around moping.

Cochrane
30-12-11, 11:27
It's amazing. The US may be the only country in the world where it is considered a good thing that there are no appropriate job opportunities for college graduates.

Ward Dragon
30-12-11, 17:28
It's amazing. The US may be the only country in the world where it is considered a good thing that there are no appropriate job opportunities for college graduates.

It's not a good thing that the unemployment rate is so high and the jobs market so limited, but when it's so difficult to find a job it seems like a much better alternative to take whatever's available as opposed to taking nothing at all and then complaining about not having anything.

There seems to be a social stigma around students trying to get practical vocational certifications and experience. If a student doesn't go straight to college they're seen as a failure (nevermind that the students who took carpentry and plumbing are probably making far more money right about now). So far too many students go to college when they don't really want to be there, and then they expect to get a very high paying job straight out of college despite that there are thousands of other recent graduates with the same qualifications. Then they don't want to get a menial job because they have college degrees and it's beneath them to do jobs like that, so they just sit around and bitch that life isn't fair.

That's my assessment of the whole Occupy movement. The people who actually do want to make their lives better are too busy working, or trying to find work, to sit around in a tent for a few months protesting. And then if one of the protestors actually shows some cleverness and manages to get a job, she gets branded as a traitor by the other protestors :rolleyes:

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-12-07/us/us_occupy-wall-street-job_1_wall-street-sign-john-thomas-financial?_s=PM:US

innocentvenus
30-12-11, 18:15
So far too many students go to college when they don't really want to be there, and then they expect to get a very high paying job straight out of college despite that there are thousands of other recent graduates with the same qualifications. Then they don't want to get a menial job because they have college degrees and it's beneath them to do jobs like that, so they just sit around and bitch that life isn't fair.

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-12-07/us/us_occupy-wall-street-job_1_wall-street-sign-john-thomas-financial?_s=PM:US

The problem is we're told that going to college is to get these "great jobs" so many people are tricked into believing in that mindset. Then when it doesn't happen they don't know how to handle it. So like you said, they bitch and moan about it. It's sadly funny because they become that way because they're told by an authority that they will get what they expect and then authority doesn't like it when they bitch about it.

My older brother thinks this way and he's gotten nowhere because he bitches about how he has a degree and blah blah blah. I've wanted to punch him out a few times lol. I've recently graduated and I busted my ass trying to find a job in this economy. I managed to finally nab one but I did put effort into it. He hates that.

The Occupy Movement had good intentions. Yes, there is a whole lot of things wrong with our Government right now from all political parties. Our government is acting like they're in a school yard right now. There are little jobs and unemployment is high. But sitting in a tent with your laptops and other electronics and really not doing much to show their dislike of these things isn't helping anything.

I almost get the feeling most of the occupiers right now are people who are only doing it because "it's cool".

knightgames
30-12-11, 21:02
Only 15% of college student in the U.S. major in Engineering.... compared to a higher percentages in other countries. Almost all of Southern California Engineering students are Asian or Indian.

http://captaincapitalism.blogspot.com/2009/02/percent-of-students-that-major-in.html

What are these students majoring in that they think will give them a key to middle class? I've heard many an interview of Occupiers, and I won't chide them as lay about spoiled kids, but did they investigate the potential of their chosen field? Did they do the economics of their college debt verses the potential income?

We live in a society where no kid is left behind.... the side effect of that is no child excels. We give trophies to every one so they don't feel left out. We abridge test scores so no one is a failure. When it comes time to face the real world the young adults are shell shocked.

I love my niece to pieces. She's a very talented artist, but she has herself set head strong that to be an art teacher.... an admirable desire. But what are the chances of getting such a position in today's economy? What will the competiton for such positions be? I constantly tell her to think broader and learn every facet of art she can. That way she's not pidgeon holed into just being an art teacher. She can use her arts in other ways. She's smart in math. Learn drafting and design. Apply your math skills to your art. Takee graphic arts. Computer design.

How many kids have the fore thought to think long term... to think broader?

Not to negate the unfairness of the world we live in today, but life ISN'T fair. I feel many aren't taught that reality, and when that cold fish slaps you in the face, the stench of a persons future smells bad.

Eros5th
30-12-11, 22:44

What the hell? You make 120K? I thought I remember us having a conversation about how you couldn't find a job and were taking some courses at a community college :confused:

Quasimodo
30-12-11, 23:26
What the hell? You make 120K? I thought I remember us having a conversation about how you couldn't find a job and were taking some courses at a community college :confused:

It's the internet. Solice can be anything you want him to be ;)

XtremeJenn
31-12-11, 07:02

He still hasn't answered my question about what field of work he's in. ;)

Eros5th
31-12-11, 10:32
And furthermore how old are you Solice? I could've sworn you were a 20 something lol

Draco
01-01-12, 03:54

It is not the fault of the job suppliers that so many graduates exist. Creating more jobs out of thin air just to hire more people is not something American business is known for. The government on the other hand...