PDA

View Full Version : Programmers

larafan25
03-01-12, 00:56
I couldn't think of a title that was short enough yet was able to get the point across, so that will have to do.

My question is this...

Are there people in the world who do not care or are not interested in the visual or artistic aspects of video game development?

I don't know all of what programmers do in video game development, but I do know that times ago video game studios were made up of more multifaceted staff members, capable of performing different tasks relating to different subjects. However today, it seems positions in video game studios have become more specialized, however having multiple skills is still probably a demand. What I wonder is what programmers enjoy doing. Say programming is just working with numbers and letters, solving problems, math and English, etc... Then do those people actually enjoy doing that? Do they care about the other aspects of the video game's creation? Such as level design, creating mood and atmosphere, developing likable and interesting characters, or coming up with gameplay ideas?

Just wondering for anyone who can give some input.

lance6439
03-01-12, 01:02
Are there people in the world who do not care or are not interested in the visual or artistic aspects of video game development?

Some ... but very little. People want more of better looks and improvements. Something new & something better to visualize.

Did that make sense? http://dramadaily.net/forum/images/smilies/flop.gif

larafan25
03-01-12, 01:03
Yes, but I don't know how accurate it is.

Encore
03-01-12, 01:08
Programming is just like any other job... They do what they're paid for... They don't have to enjoy it, and I suspect that even if they do care about what the end result will be, they probably have no saying in the matter since that's for other people to decide.

larafan25
03-01-12, 01:15
Well that sounds suckish. :/

moodydog
03-01-12, 01:24
I couldn't think of a title that was short enough yet was able to get the point across, so that will have to do.

My question is this...

I don't know all of what programmers do in video game development, but I do know that times ago video game studios were made up of more multifaceted staff members, capable of performing different tasks relating to different subjects. However today, it seems positions in video game studios have become more specialized, however having multiple skills is still probably a demand. What I wonder is what programmers enjoy doing. Say programming is just working with numbers and letters, solving problems, math and English, etc... Then do those people actually enjoy doing that? Do they care about the other aspects of the video game's creation? Such as level design, creating mood and atmosphere, developing likable and interesting characters, or coming up with gameplay ideas?

Just wondering for anyone who can give some input.

People who work in the game industry, can typically have a degree in Computer Science or a maths related subject. They probably did not have the intention of working for the Games industry. They take these subjects because they may live and breath the academic subjects, and find it very interesting. For one, these people may love Maths, or have a very profound and early starting interest in the science behind computers. They may also be passionate about games, and want to combine their skills to use in the games industry. So not, not all programmers find their jobs boring, just like Physicists find exploring and research not boring. Some may find it completely dull, but honestly, they probably choose the wrong career path... or just lost interest. If they find it boring, it would of been a hell of a lot boring before they applied for the job.

Cochrane
03-01-12, 07:34
I am one of those people (not in the industry; I'm still at university) and I don't understand the question. Why wouldn't I find doing all that fun and interesting?

Don't get me wrong: If you do anything with computer graphics, such as games, then you will have to care about the graphic and content side of things. After all, nobody wants it to look horrible. Some people are better at creating content, some better at programming, and for a game project you ideally have both.

I'm not a great artist, but I also think programming is way more fun. Programming and in particular game programming means you get to solve actual problems and interact with just about any field of computer science: Graphics, AI, simulation, networking, high-performance computing, software architectures and so on. Anyone can make a helicopter model, or if not, download one cheap from dedicated websites. But it takes a programmer to make it move in a realistic way. And I think that's a lot more fun.

just*raidin*tomb
03-01-12, 08:18
Hmm, thanks for the input guys. And thanks for the thread larafan25. :tmb: