PDA

View Full Version : End of the world?

Nausinous
04-01-12, 12:08
It was like Whisky Galore - except with fish. Locals taking a stroll at Kvennes beach in northern Norway were in for a surprise as they discovered a carpet of over 20 tonnes of dead fish covering the shoreline.

Almost inevitably, there are those who are viewing this event as a portent of doom, particularly given its coincidence with the start of the year 2012 - a year in which one cycle of the Mayan calendar is due to come to an end and which has often been associated with the end of the world.

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa389/caelandrake/herring.jpg

Read full article (http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2012/01/a-most-fishy-tale.html). Looks pretty fishy to me :vlol:

Rai
04-01-12, 12:13
That's a lot of fish right there. Pity most of it won't be any good for consumption. Not a sign for the end of the world, but a weird yet natural phenomenon.

danraid
04-01-12, 12:14
I know a cat who loves to be on that beach.. Damn, that's a lot of fish

Liara
04-01-12, 12:14
Disasters will always happen, but that doesn't mean it's the end of the world. Though a part of me kind of wished it was. Getting to see the apocalypse with your own eyes? That's one hell of a way to die.

Nausinous
04-01-12, 12:27
Disasters will always happen, but that doesn't mean it's the end of the world. Though a part of me kind of wished it was. Getting to see the apocalypse with your own eyes? That's one hell of a way to die.

:tmb:

-raz
04-01-12, 13:09
If the world does end in December, I won't be too unhappy. We will all die on day, guaranteed, so what better way to go than the same time as all of your friends and family? No grieving, just a sense of unity. Plus, everyone you hate dies too, always a bonus :p

Love2Raid
04-01-12, 13:17
You guys nuts?! I donīt wanna die, so much left to do! :o:o
Not that Iīm expecting an apocalypse this year lol.

But thatīs quite sad for those fish and the bigger fish that were supposed to eat them. Not to mention those who have to clean all that mess up!

RoxasKennedy
04-01-12, 13:21
XIgbPTBINhk

Had to do it XD
Anyways, I'm kind of excited for the apocalypse, because it will be awesome! XD
Or it could be lame and we survive it, I dunno.

Summer B
04-01-12, 13:26
I blame the aliens, they must have had a malfunction in their Flux Capacitor.

MiCkiZ88
04-01-12, 14:32
Nothing to do with end of the world. These kind of things have happened before. I mean, have you checked the weather lately? It's ****ing horrible even for Winter. Winds so hard that you can't even stand straight and waves the size of ships. :/ It's no wonder if the herring got to the beach by the storm.

As for the article stating about birds falling from the sky, birds can't handle stress that well and well.. it was new year.. :)

[Xmas]
04-01-12, 14:40
Disasters will always happen, but that doesn't mean it's the end of the world. Though a part of me kind of wished it was. Getting to see the apocalypse with your own eyes? That's one hell of a way to die.I agree. A great way to end my life.

larafan25
04-01-12, 17:01
I won't rule out that it does have something to do whatever could go down or change at the end of this year, if something does happen.

But otherwise it would just be a slight coincidence, seeing as this could happen other times, but happens in our most fearful year.

just*raidin*tomb
04-01-12, 17:50
Nothing to do with end of the world. These kind of things have happened before. I mean, have you checked the weather lately? It's ****ing horrible even for Winter. Winds so hard that you can't even stand straight and waves the size of ships. :/ It's no wonder if the herring got to the beach by the storm.

As for the article stating about birds falling from the sky, birds can't handle stress that well and well.. it was new year.. :)

Not to mention we are supposedly experiencing a period of "calmness" in the earth's existence. Based on evidence stored in layers upon layers of ancient ice in the pole regions, the world has a history of fluctuating between peaceful weather and destructive, intense weather. During the period of human existence we have for the most part experienced a "peaceful" period. These are short, and supposedly these more destructive periods are the norm. These peaceful periods are a freak of nature. (I mean they are considerably peaceful, there are no constant threats or anything).

Of course, only repeating what I've learned from other scientists research. We could be in the process of entering a more "destructive" period, plus the earth is a living object and we are killing it, and it needs to cleanse itself. We're pretty much like a virus and nature is earth's antibodies. Makes me wonder if we even were originally intended to be on this planet. We abuse it and have no appreciation for the wonder that it is. And I'm guilty too.

Zelda master
04-01-12, 17:55
If the world would end then it end we can't stop it, least we can hope for is that we go out in a spectacular way... Ow and not being a Virgin would be nice to :D

MiCkiZ88
04-01-12, 18:26
Not to mention we are supposedly experiencing a period of "calmness" in the earth's existence. Based on evidence stored in layers upon layers of ancient ice in the pole regions, the world has a history of fluctuating between peaceful weather and destructive, intense weather. During the period of human existence we have for the most part experienced a "peaceful" period. These are short, and supposedly these more destructive periods are the norm. These peaceful periods are a freak of nature. (I mean they are considerably peaceful, there are no constant threats or anything).

Of course, only repeating what I've learned from other scientists research. We could be in the process of entering a more "destructive" period, plus the earth is a living object and we are killing it, and it needs to cleanse itself. We're pretty much like a virus and nature is earth's antibodies. Makes me wonder if we even were originally intended to be on this planet. We abuse it and have no appreciation for the wonder that it is. And I'm guilty too.
Well it certainly seems like we're entering a more destructive period. Perhaps, just perhaps, 2012 is the start of a new era of weather that we haven't experienced yet. Nothing to do with going colder or warmer, just a cleansing period like you said.

And don't be too hard on yourself. You do what you can to help the nature. More and more people are getting more environmentally wise and do their best to recycle, use less electricity and even use bio fuels that are renewable.

Sure there are some assholes who simply don't care about the nature and would be just fine without any forests, but it's not going to happen. Scandinavia is a good example of how selective harvesting is actually making the forests grow faster and larger.

just*raidin*tomb
04-01-12, 18:59
I don't understand some people. The lack of the acknowledgement of nature and the beauty of it and ignorance that goes with that just boggles my mind. When I see someone it blows my mind. It's such a disgrace and it pisses me off. Anyway...

EscondeR
04-01-12, 20:19
20 tons of dead fish?

Some giant squid must have farted really bad then...

skylark1121
04-01-12, 21:02
Wow! Peculiar.... :pi:

Greenapple968
04-01-12, 21:16
Shame about all those fish. :(

Chocola teapot
04-01-12, 21:19
The stench must be tragic.

Greenapple968
04-01-12, 21:20
The stench must be tragic.

One fish is bad enough. 100000 must smell awful.

CuteLilDragon
04-01-12, 22:14
Fishy Galore. :3
That is very peculiar. :p

xLara_Nathanx
04-01-12, 22:22
We're gonna die ;___;

Rosaly
05-01-12, 07:32
The world won't end in 2012 and that's final! :D :p

Draco
05-01-12, 14:03
One of my life's goals is to survive and surpass the Apocalypse.

Mikky
05-01-12, 15:14
Not to worry, there are plenty more fish in the sea. Could not resist. I'm actually surprised no-one's said that yet. xD

Liara
05-01-12, 15:15
One of my life's goals is to survive and surpass the Apocalypse.
Sounds pretty badass, but what would be the point of living past the end of the world? Odds are that nothing would be left of it but a wasteland a-la Fallout.

Sir Croft
05-01-12, 15:32
Not the first time a ridiculous amount of fish simply dies. Also reminded me of the birds dying a year ago.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/01/06/us-deaths-idUSTRE70534T20110106

Draco
06-01-12, 03:09
Sounds pretty badass, but what would be the point of living past the end of the world? Odds are that nothing would be left of it but a wasteland a-la Fallout.

I like to think of it as a ton of abandoned Legos I can use to build something new with.

TRLegendLuver
06-01-12, 04:34
This has been happening for some time now so just because 2012 finally turned around the corner, doesn't mean its to blame for dying fish. There have been several incidents with fish, birds too around the world. Bees even, and that was proven to be a parasite problem from a fly.

So, no.

tomblover
06-01-12, 05:12
Odds are that nothing would be left of it but a wasteland a-la Fallout. I will ****ing give up on life if Cazadors are going to start existing. :hea: :vlol:

sandygrimm
06-01-12, 16:42
free food for cats! :D free food for the ppl! like the falling apples in England and birds in Arkansas
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/275316/20120102/dead-birds-fall-sky-arkansas-again.htm

Ikas90
06-01-12, 16:48
People see what they want to see.

The world will end when the world ends. People should live in the now, instead of worrying about the future all the time.

I know what I'm going to be doing. Living my day as per normal.

TRULuverzz
06-01-12, 16:59
Only God knows when the world going to end, so I'm not concerned about the Mayan calendar. as for the dead fish that will probably take months to clear up :O

sandygrimm
06-01-12, 17:06
^ bring some bears or cats, or sushi cooks.. I give it 3 weeks :p

lcroft_lc
07-01-12, 11:26
Don't worry. Desmond Miles will save us from the end of the world. :p

ajrich17901
07-01-12, 11:29
People see what they want to see.

The world will end when the world ends. People should live in the now, instead of worrying about the future all the time.

I know what I'm going to be doing. Living my day as per normal.

Well said. :tmb: