PDA

View Full Version : College Question:

lance6439
05-01-12, 01:23
I have NEVER made an F on my report card (I'm in highschool)

But if I do will I not go to college? :( :( :( :hea:

Scorpio1991
05-01-12, 01:30
Depends on if you have enough credits or not.
Is this your only F? Also, what's your GPA?

Ward Dragon
05-01-12, 01:31
It depends on the circumstances. Also, most schools let you make up a class if you fail it so hopefully you would get a better grade the second time. I think the colleges are mainly looking at your overall GPA, class rank, extra curricular activities, SAT scores, etc. If you fail one class and then make it up, it probably won't hurt you too much. But of course, try not to fail anything in the first place and it will look better :)

sierra xb
05-01-12, 02:00
many of the colleges i had looked at wanted to see at least a 3.0 average, but something less won't automatically keep you from being accepted (depends of the college), plus your SAT scores factor in quite a bit. It is possible for a great SAT to overcome a not so great grade average.

Tonyrobinson
05-01-12, 03:26
No Idea what that means but to me no F's sounds good, over here you need 4 a-c (Anything below considered a fail but you can still go to college providing you do an extra year if it's a BTEC Degree at Level 2 instead of Level 3 then use it to progress) grades to go to college including Maths and English and you can take up to 9 GCSE subjects so getting the 4 is quite easy. I just applied for University after completing my 3 A Levels two years back and taking a year out, It's best that you buckle down and work hard, if that fails then would your parents consider letting you study abroad if you don't get the grades? :)

just*raidin*tomb
05-01-12, 04:23
I made an F my senoir year because I took an online class and it just got all messed up, but I planned on going to a community college first anyway, so it had absolutely no effect on me whatsoever.

It really depends on your circumstances. As long as your GPA is high enough and you have enough credits you should be fine. Now getting into the college you want...I'm not so sure.

Luckily I also made straight A's (and a couple of B's) along with just one F, throughout my entire high school career, so it wasn't a big deal. Trust me. It's okay.

Shark_Blade
05-01-12, 05:29
Simple answer, Lance: Make sure you don't.
Study hard and study smart.

skylark1121
05-01-12, 21:15
Most colleges look more to your college entrance exam scores (ACT, SAT, LSAT, COMPASS, etc) rather than your transcripts. Although, it would be much better to NOT have anything failing.
But, if you can pass the entrance-exam with flying colors, they will most likely look passed your high school transcripts to an extent. :)

God Horus
05-01-12, 22:12
Just try not to, even if you do it may or may not effect your chances of getting in.

If you do get an F it is NOT the end of the world, despite what many people think. You can always redo the course in summer school, night school, but it may end up delaying your entrance to college.

ps. I just realized you're Lance from GagaDaily :pi:

lance6439
05-01-12, 22:15
Just try not to, even if you do it may or may not effect your chances of getting in.

If you do get an F it is NOT the end of the world, despite what many people think. You can always redo the course in summer school, night school, but it may end up delaying your entrance to college.

ps. I just realized you're Lance from GagaDaily :pi:

Thanks guys! :D
I don't have an F. I'm just worried :p

... Your from GGD :pi:

God Horus
06-01-12, 00:12
Don't worry too much, just focus on doing your best!

Yes I'm from GGD but I never post there because all the members are so mean to the newbies.

moodydog
06-01-12, 00:36
How does it work in america?

Here in England, it is slightly different. In high school you sit your GCSE's in your chosen subject (typically you choose between 8 and 12 subjects). At the end of you two year course of high school, which I believe has now changed to three years, beginning in year 9 rather than year 10, you sit laughably easy exams which is are hard not to pass. You then get your subject grades A* - F... where C and above is a pass for each subject, and are a result of both exams and coursework, if your chosen subjects have coursework (its usually about a 40:60 ratio).

Then you choose you college, where the entry requirements vary on the college. Typically, most colleges wan't 5C's and above, which is very easy to achieve for the majority of students. But there are some colleges/ 6th forms which vary the grades depending on the prestigiousness of the college. And some courses you choose at college require you to have taken particular subjects at GCSE level, and get certain grades in the subject which is higher than the entry requirement (for example, a B in maths). Almost all colleges want both Maths and English at grades C or above.

I should imagine it wouldn't be too different.

And what makes you think you will get an F?

benjamin_2010
06-01-12, 01:22
I had several F's on my high school report cards because by junior/senior year I was so sick of school. I did get into college though, because my first two years in H.S. I did really well. You just need around a 3.0 GPA to guarantee acceptance into college (I would say even if you had a 2.5 you'd have a decent chance of getting into your school of choice).

But once you get to college, don't get any more F's. I make deans list now...because college is actually important lol.

just*raidin*tomb
06-01-12, 02:50
I had several F's on my high school report cards because by junior/senior year I was so sick of school. I did get into college though, because my first two years in H.S. I did really well. You just need around a 3.0 GPA to guarantee acceptance into college (I would say even if you had a 2.5 you'd have a decent chance of getting into your school of choice).

But once you get to college, don't get any more F's. I make deans list now...because college is actually important lol.

Yes, never ever make F's in college or D's even. A C to me is even bad. College is when you actually begin learning useful things, high school is just a practice warm-up.

Another thing that will help raise your chances of getting into college is taking a lot of campus tours and scheduling appointments with advisers at that the college. This is a great opportunity to show that you are a great student and concerned about your future.

Make a list of questions/concerns you have about the school and what it may take to get accepted. And never ever be afraid to ask questions. It shows that you're interested.

And make sure to visit the department/building in which you will be majoring in. Like I might be majoring in music, so i obviously I would browse through the music department to just check it out and see how I like it.

(again this increases your chances of getting accepted because you're making yourself memorable)

moodydog
06-01-12, 13:01
Yes, never ever make F's in college or D's even. A C to me is even bad. College is when you actually begin learning useful things, high school is just a practice warm-up.

Another thing that will help raise your chances of getting into college is taking a lot of campus tours and scheduling appointments with advisers at that the college. This is a great opportunity to show that you are a great student and concerned about your future.

Make a list of questions/concerns you have about the school and what it may take to get accepted. And never ever be afraid to ask questions. It shows that you're interested.

And make sure to visit the department/building in which you will be majoring in. Like I might be majoring in music, so i obviously I would browse through the music department to just check it out and see how I like it.

(again this increases your chances of getting accepted because you're making yourself memorable)

I got two C's and an A*... Though its a pass (A-E in college is a pass), I wanted much better, so am resitting my exams.