PDA

View Full Version : America's weirdest state laws

DragonSlayer
05-01-12, 12:43
Arizona: Cutting down a cactus may earn you a twenty-five-year prison term.

California: You may not eat an orange in your bathtub.

Georgia: It's illegal to change the clothes on a storefront mannequin unless you draw the shades first.

Hawaii: All residents may be fined for not owning a boat.

Idaho: A man must not give his sweetheart a box of candy weighing fewer than fifty pounds.

Illinois: It's illegal to take a French poodle to the opera (Chicago).

North Dakota: It's illegal to lie down and fall asleep with your shoes on.

Oregon: State law requires dishes to be drip-dried.

Pennsylvania: It's illegal to sleep on top of a refrigerator outdoors.

The best weird law is, Massachusetts: No gorilla is allowed in the backseat of any car.

Click the link for the full list there were too many to post here.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2082559/Where-armed-piano-players-perform-free-illegal-fall-asleep-cheese-factory-Americas-weird-state-laws-revealed.html

Dumb laws in Ireland
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055457795

Vinkula
05-01-12, 13:04
LMAO, these are weird and hilarious :vlol: Massachusetts mainly xD

Ora Dagger
05-01-12, 13:16
Virginia: Tickling a woman is unlawful.

my home state :vlol: :hug:

trfanX34
05-01-12, 13:20
Oh my :vlol:

Cochrane
05-01-12, 13:28
I'd like to see the actual law texts. I imagine most of them are perfectly normal laws that have unintended side-effects.

And some of them only sound bad until you think about them:

Arizona: In a state where everything is essentially endangered thanks to the weather alone, there may be good reasons to protect at least some kinds of cacti. The 25-year sentence is probably for extreme cases of destroying nature, not a single plant.

Hawaii: Maybe this applies only to a specific region? On small islands, having a boat can be essential when catastrophes such as floodings happen.

Illinois: Most theaters and opera houses forbid pets (with exceptions for guide dogs and the like). I've never heard of a french poodle guide dog. Most likely the law does not specify french poodles specifically.

Massachusetts: There are plenty of regulations about how to correctly transport animals. Gorillas on backseats are most likely not allowed.

Edit: Just read through the list and at least some of them are known hoaxes. The value of π in Indiana, for example, was never 4 (although there was an actual debate in the legislature about whether the change it, some time during the 19th century. Sane minds prevailed).

Assassin13
05-01-12, 13:33
I wonder what's the story behind the orange in the bathtub o.o

Diablo_Rosso
05-01-12, 13:34
I'm pretty sure the UK has some crazy laws too. Most of them are from a long time ago and just never changed.

NRO.
05-01-12, 13:48
I'd like to see the actual law texts. I imagine most of them are perfectly normal laws that have unintended side-effects.

I'd like to see the reason behind the orange in the bathtub.

Cochrane
05-01-12, 14:27
I'd like to see the reason behind the orange in the bathtub.

I've not been able to find any actual law that forbids this. I would not be entirely surprised if this was made up, or took a court ruling completely out of context.

NRO.
05-01-12, 14:35
Lol Yahoo answers.

IT'S ALL TRUE. Once i ate an orange in a bathtub and i blew up! I AM TELLING YOU, DO NOT EAT AN ORANGE IN A BATHTUB OR YOU WILL BLOW UP!!!
Source(s):
Owner of many cats and kittens :D

I'm staring to think it's because someone got hurt while being drunk and eating oranges in their bathub.

Mikky
05-01-12, 14:40

I don't believe for a second that this is a law. :o

The Great Chi
05-01-12, 15:14
I'd like to see the reason behind the orange in the bathtub.Choking hazard followed then by drowning in the tub :confused:

Mikky
05-01-12, 15:20
Choking hazard followed then by drowning in the tub :confused:

Yeah, but to actually make it illegal...? It's like making a law against using knives in the kitchen because we could cut ourselves. :/

tomblover
05-01-12, 15:27
*mumbles to self*

It's Arkan-sah, not Arkan-sas. :pi:

Also, whoa... I need to move to Indiana right about now. Would make my life so much easier. :p

the ancient
05-01-12, 16:29
Alaska: Whispering in someone's ear while he's moose hunting is prohibited

But if you yell you scare the mooses away :/

sierra xb
05-01-12, 18:00
here is one, it's not a state law, but just as silly...at Lake Tahoe you apparently can't cut sagebrush out of your yard unless you apply for a permit first.

tomee
05-01-12, 20:18
Oklahoma: It's forbidden to take a bite out of another person's hamburger.

Don't even dare to take a bite! It's MINE! :vlol:
*insert american stereotype here*

I mean are there really laws like these? xD

just*raidin*tomb
05-01-12, 20:23

And some of them only sound bad until you think about them:

Arizona: In a state where everything is essentially endangered thanks to the weather alone, there may be good reasons to protect at least some kinds of cacti. The 25-year sentence is probably for extreme cases of destroying nature, not a single plant.

Hawaii: Maybe this applies only to a specific region? On small islands, having a boat can be essential when catastrophes such as floodings happen.

Illinois: Most theaters and opera houses forbid pets (with exceptions for guide dogs and the like). I've never heard of a french poodle guide dog. Most likely the law does not specify french poodles specifically.

Massachusetts: There are plenty of regulations about how to correctly transport animals. Gorillas on backseats are most likely not allowed.

Edit: Just read through the list and at least some of them are known hoaxes. The value of π in Indiana, for example, was never 4 (although there was an actual debate in the legislature about whether the change it, some time during the 19th century. Sane minds prevailed).

Indeed. And if I'm not mistaken aren't there some really old laws that go unnoticed after many years and are largely ignored simply because of the fact that they're old and don't fit in with today's society?

Not entirely sure...

Besides, some of these are clearly not laws. It's just ridiculous. I would like to see the official documentation. :o

Legends
05-01-12, 20:28
There are so many stupid laws. Lol.

moodydog
05-01-12, 21:06
I reckon these Laws are just exaggerated on truth...

Arizona: Cutting down a cactus may earn you a twenty-five-year prison term.

This is probably some law protecting the environment, I haven't really informed myself about cactus, but they could be a dying plant species, , therefore are laws to protect them. I doubt its 25 years, I bet its just some fine. This is similar to the coral in the Red Sea, if you are caught smuggling it out the country, it is seen as theft and you will earn up to a year in an Egyptian prison.

Again, probably not an actual law. I don't know If anyone ever choked on an orange in the bathtub, and not going to spend time looking. But I bet someone did, and then people were advised not to eat within the bath. People probably got angry at the fact that they can actually be instructed not to eat in the bathtub, complained as if it were an actual law

Georgia: It's illegal to change the clothes on a storefront mannequin unless you draw the shades first.

Do not know about Georgian mannequins, but they must be HOT!!!

Hawaii: All residents may be fined for not owning a boat.

Flooding?

Idaho: A man must not give his sweetheart a box of candy weighing fewer than fifty pounds.

Bad for the economy??????

Illinois: It's illegal to take a French poodle to the opera (Chicago).

Your not allowed to take any animal to the opera. Probably someone got refused access into the opera because they had a poodle with them, get really mad and wrote it off as a law, which it sort of it.

North Dakota: It's illegal to lie down and fall asleep with your shoes on.

I. Don't. Know

Oregon: State law requires dishes to be drip-dried.

Same. as. Above... water conservation?

Pennsylvania: It's illegal to sleep on top of a refrigerator outdoors.

Didn't someone die from being trapped in a refrigerator?

The best weird law is, Massachusetts: No gorilla is allowed in the backseat of any car.

The same goes for a Lion, or a tiger, or a horse!

But yes I must agree, they do sound stupid!

Scorpio1991
05-01-12, 21:20
Washington: It's illegal to pretend that one's parents are wealthy.

No, this is false :vlol:
If you do, you might get robbed :p

knightgames
05-01-12, 21:20

OMG! I used to drive with a full sized stuffed gorilla in the back seat of my car. It was given to me as a joke by my friend when I was in the hospital. I left it in the back seat for a few months as a joke. We named him Horace. Used to get al kinds of strange looks - especially from kids. LOL

I never knew about this law.