PDA

View Full Version : How you use the forums (research)

jajay119
06-01-12, 21:00
Hi Guys,

I'm doing a paper on modern comunication mediums and forums is taking a big roll, as I have quite a bit of experience in that area. I would be very greatful if you could just answer a few questions for me :)

1. Do you consider forums to be closer to traditional written language or spoken language?

2. Do you think the 'anonymity' of a user name on the forum makes you more inclined to be 'braver' or more 'impulsive' with what you say to someone than if you were speaking to them face to face?

3. Do you consider the use of standard English ( proper spellings, punctuation and grammar etc) to be equally important when posting on a forum than if you were writing traditionally, a letter for example.

4. Are there any language features you consider to be new or not used in traditional written langauge?

Thanks in Advance.

Mikky
06-01-12, 21:09
Q1: I'm not sure I understand, but I'm gonna say no.

Q2: Yes, I do think so.

Q3: Yes. I'm always extra careful not to make any typos or grammar mistakes. xD

Q4: You mean on here? Not that I can think of atm.

lance6439
06-01-12, 21:10
Edit: OMG WRONG THREAD O_O

Sorry.

1. Do you consider forums to be closer to traditional written language or spoken language?

I guess so? :p

2. Do you think the 'anonymity' of a user name on the forum makes you more inclined to be 'braver' or more 'imulsive' with what you say to someone than if you were speaking to them face to face?

Meh ... Not really. I guess P;

3. Do you consider the use of standard English ( proper spellings, punctuation and grammar etc) to be equally important when posting on a forum than if you were writing traditionally, a letter for example.

Yes. 9/10

4. Are there any language features you consider to be new or not used in traditional written langauge?

Nahh

Mikky
06-01-12, 21:12
:tmb:

Me Gusta! :D

What? :confused:

Soul
06-01-12, 21:13
1. I guess it's a mixture of both - but more spoken language or slang...
2. Definitely :)
3. Yes. I'm trying my best to have proper english in my postings rather than slang.
4. I'm not 100% sure what you mean there. :confused:

lance6439
06-01-12, 21:13
What? :confused:

!!! I thought it was OC

:o

Legend of Lara
06-01-12, 21:16

Forum posts are generally closer to spoken language, imo.

2. Do you think the 'anonymity' of a user name on the forum makes you more inclined to be 'braver' or more 'imulsive' with what you say to someone than if you were speaking to them face to face?

It's not so much the anonymity, but I'd definitely not say half of the stuff I do on here in real life.

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Always use proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation. You have no excuse if your English is good enough.

Nnnnooooo~~~???

NRO.
06-01-12, 21:17

Can't speak for everyone, but I tend to use some "speaking terms" like "gunna" "tho" etc

Yes.

Yes. Everyone who mixes up "your" and "you're", "their" and "there" and "they're, "we're" and "were" and "where" should be fined, and if they continue then off with their heads.

None that pop to mind.

jajay119
06-01-12, 21:18
Thanks for replys so far guys, new language features are things that you wouldn't find in traditional writing - emoticons for example wouldn't generally be used in a letter.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
06-01-12, 21:22
Thanks for replys so far guys, new language features are things that you wouldn't find in traditional writing - emoticons for example wouldn't generally be used in a letter.

Does that mean I should take them out of my resume? :confused: :confused:

NRO.
06-01-12, 21:23
Does that mean I should take them out of my resume? :confused: :confused:

No, add more ;)'s for extra effect.

Legend of Lara
06-01-12, 21:25
Everyone who mixes up "your" and "you're", "their" and "there" and "they're, "we're" and "were" and "where" should be fined, and if they continue then off with their heads.

Don't forget "could/should/would of". Why do people do that? It's wrong. It means nothing.

I could of sworn she was pregnant! = NOTHING. THIS IS BAD AND EVIL.
I could have sworn she was pregnant! = I thought she was pregnant.
I could've sworn she was pregnant! = I thought she was pregnant, y'all.

It's not rocket science.

It's not even advanced algebra.

It's like counting to ten, basically.

larafan25
06-01-12, 21:25

Probably closer to traditional written language, but sometimes and in some places it mimics spoken language.

2. Do you think the 'anonymity' of a user name on the forum makes you more inclined to be 'braver' or more 'impulsive' with what you say to someone than if you were speaking to them face to face?

Yes.

3. Do you consider the use of standard English ( proper spellings, punctuation and grammar etc) to be equally important when posting on a forum than if you were writing traditionally, a letter for example. [/B]

Yes, they're both equally important.

Yep.

Alpharaider47
06-01-12, 21:26

I'm not sure that forums represent anything traditional about language other than many people's affinity for utterly destroying it. In a serious answer though, I think it comes off as an attempt at written speech- so I'm going to choose spoken language. Very poorly spelled, spoken language.

I think the anonymity of the internet makes people act more like assholes than they would in face to face conversation. I however, pride myself on acting the same online as I do in my non virtual life. I'm quite a brave, courageous, impulsive, and reckless person offline, so why should I be any different online?

I believe that if people want to be taken seriously anywhere, they ought to use language properly. If you write/type like ****, you're not going to look good anywhere. Lance, consider that a tip. ;)

New, not so much. Not used in traditional written language? Most definitely. As mentioned earlier, people seem to be more inclined to utterly butcher language online. There's also the use of acronyms- not that they aren't used in traditional writing, but you're not going to find "lol" in my term papers.

Mikky
06-01-12, 21:28
I could of sworn she was pregnant! = NOTHING. THIS IS BAD AND EVIL.
I could have sworn she was pregnant! = I thought she was pregnant.
I could've sworn she was pregnant! = I thought she was pregnant, y'all.

I always write like the first one and speak like it, too. :o

"I could of gone in there, but I didn't." Just sounds, IDK, better to me. xD

NRO.
06-01-12, 21:30

It's sounds like someone is trying to talk while munching on crisps. Dx

Mikky
06-01-12, 21:34
It's sounds like someone is trying to talk while munching on crisps. Dx

It's "It sounds like..." not "It's sounds like..." :o

Meh, whatever. I don't think I will change anytime soon, tbh. People understand it, anyway, so it's no biggie. :p

Legend of Lara
06-01-12, 21:36

It's acceptable-ish in speech, since it can be hard to tell the difference between "of" and "'ve".

But it's absolutely unacceptable in writing.

No exceptions.

Mikky
06-01-12, 21:39
It's acceptable-ish in speech, since it can be hard to tell the difference between "of" and "'ve".

But it's absolutely unacceptable in writing.

No exceptions.

"I could of listened to your advice, but I didn't." http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae35/Lara_Super_Fan/th_Untitled-96.png

Legend of Lara
06-01-12, 21:39
"I could of listened to your advice, but I didn't." http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae35/Lara_Super_Fan/th_Untitled-96.png

And because of that, you died.

You could have survived, but you chose death.

:(

Alpharaider47
06-01-12, 21:41

You could have survived, but you chose death.

Do not mourn him, it was his own decision.

Spong
06-01-12, 21:42
Spoken. And it sickens me on occasion. Laziness is what it is.

Nope.

3. Do you consider the use of standard English (proper spellings, punctuation and grammar etc) to be equally important when posting on a forum than if you were writing traditionally, a letter for example.
Absolutely. It's a simple courtesy.

Text-speak. People being too lazy and inconsiderate to include simple vowels or grammatically correct punctuation in what they type.

Mikky
06-01-12, 21:43

You could of survived, but you chose death.

Fixed. http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/ChibiHanyou/Other/Emoticons/th_icameplz.gif

Gracious Days
06-01-12, 21:52
This:

Q3: Yes. I'm always extra careful not to make any typos or grammar mistakes. xD

To this:

Meh, whatever. I don't think I will change anytime soon, tbh. People understand it, anyway, so it's no biggie. :p

:p

I think it depends on the context; something like Open Chat is obviously closer to spoken language, whereas if people are going into a serious debate then they're more likely to think and consider their responses to get the best point across. Speaking their answer in a face to face conversation might be considered more "impulsive".

No.

Yes, very. I'm quite careful with my posting and any mistake I see afterwards will likely be edited, even if it's just a letter out of place. :o

Just things that have already been mentioned; emoticons, "abbreviated internet-speak", etc. Using "2" for "to", "U" in place of "you".