PDA

View Full Version : What Stereotypes Are Made About Your Country / Region?

FloTheMachine
07-01-12, 15:18
Well, as I'm from Ireland, most could guess mine. :p

Are there any stereotypes about your country, be it about whatever?

Ora Dagger
07-01-12, 15:19
The area that I live in, people think that we drink moonshine, go hunting, and have a country accent...which is kinda true xD
But most of us don't ;)

Vinkula
07-01-12, 15:26
That Finnish people doesn't do anything else than get drunk :p

strawberry22
07-01-12, 15:27
We always eat haggis and shortbread and drink irn bru. We are all ginger, we play the bagpipes all the time, we are all really tough and loud etc

A.JJ.G
07-01-12, 15:29
That we're always drunk -.-

*I'm Irish by the way.

Chocola teapot
07-01-12, 15:29
British people have bad teeth.

The bottom row aren't straight, but I have lush teeth, to be fair. :p

MiCkiZ88
07-01-12, 15:31
And make heavy metal music whilst doing so, don't forget that :p

Don't know any Dutch stereotypes really.. apart from the fact that football is holy to them :p

Vinkula
07-01-12, 15:34
And make heavy metal music whilst doing so, don't forget that :p

Oh, right. Heavy metal.. D:

FloTheMachine
07-01-12, 15:35

Ahaaa Irish people too. :p

Carbon
07-01-12, 15:36
We always eat haggis and shortbread and drink irn bru. We are all ginger, we play the bagpipes all the time, we are all really tough and loud etc

and wear kilts, don't forget them!

Mad Tony
07-01-12, 15:40
Apparently we're really posh yet really common at the same time!

Oh yeah, and there's always the bad teeth/bad at cooking ones but I have no idea where they come from.

ajrich17901
07-01-12, 15:45
We're all fat, love fast food and own 20+ guns. Typical USA one.

FloTheMachine
07-01-12, 15:47
Apparently we're really posh yet really common at the same time!

Oh yeah, and there's always the bad teeth/bad at cooking ones but I have no idea where they come from.

O.O Never heard that one before. My aunt is English and she's quite a good cook. D:

LaraDuh
07-01-12, 15:47
Americans make stereotypes about everyone else in the world :p I dont like to. But, one american one is that we are really fat and only eat at McDonalds. Another is that we all own guns and hate when ALL foreign people come into our country.(we only hate it when they come in Illegally) We are not that fat either.

zeussy
07-01-12, 15:55
That Egyptians live in the desert and ride camels as their main form of transportation. :p

xLara_Nathanx
07-01-12, 15:59
Dutch people smoke weed all the time and make milk and cheese while wearing their wooden shoes in a farm full of windmills.

That is the Dutch stereotype. :D

Mikky
07-01-12, 16:07
I have no idea, tbh. Are there any stereotypes made about Portuguese people? IDK. :p

zeussy
07-01-12, 16:07
Dutch people smoke weed all the time and make milk and cheese while wearing their wooden shoes in a farm full of windmills.

I thought you were Turkish :O :eek:

WillG
07-01-12, 16:12
Northern Irish I guess would just be the same as Irish

Get drunk all the time :p

TRL2009
07-01-12, 16:13
That all the hispanic homes house up to 12 people xD and that we try to fit 14 people in a 4 door car

Legend of Lara
07-01-12, 16:14
In Iceland, it's always super cold and covered in snow, we live in igloos, there are penguins everywhere, and we only eat sheep's heads.

SkyPuppy
07-01-12, 16:19
We're all fat, love fast food and own 20+ guns. Typical USA one.

this. oh, and as soon as you walk out of your house, you'll get mugged/raped/killed/all of the above.

drakl0r
07-01-12, 16:20
Well the stereotype about my state/region is that we're all drunken treetop-dwelling, loincloth-wearing headhunters :vlol:

tomee
07-01-12, 16:35
Hmm I don't know any. Time to google it.

Well the things I found are sort of true:
- Hungarians look down upon their neoighbours (romania, slovakia) and vice versa. Sad but sort of true
- Hungarians are idealistic and because of this pessimistic.
- Hungarian hosts will stuff you with food!
- Hungarians usually speak only one language, and tourist has a better chance to find someone who understands German. Slowly changing but it's still true.

xLara_Nathanx
07-01-12, 16:40
I thought you were Turkish :O :eek:

Totes off topic but I'm 50% Turkish and 50% Dutch. (But I live in the Netherlands)

lara c. fan
07-01-12, 16:45
I don't know, maybe that we all drink bathtubs of tea at a time, and say "Tally ho!" a lot.

Oh, and tophats. Maybe. I don't know about that one.

Underhoe
07-01-12, 16:45

- Hungarians look down upon their neoighbours (romania, slovakia) and vice versa. Sad but sort of true
- Hungarians are idealistic and because of this pessimistic.
- Hungarians usually speak only one language, and tourist has a better chance to find someone who understands German. Slowly changing but it's still true.

So, so true. Especially the first and second.

coolaideonfire
07-01-12, 17:10
Bad teeth! And we all drink tea! Lots and lots of tea.

BrandonFlowers
07-01-12, 17:20

Don't forget the fact we are tight with money :p and we deep fry everything.

Killercowz
07-01-12, 17:24

I remember in history class my teacher saying that when the Europeans first discovered or started using more sugar, they were amazed and payed no attention to their dental hygine, resulting in the bad teeth.

I'm sure the stereotype doesn't work nowadays because sugar has been around a while and people are more careful. :p

MyRaider4Life
07-01-12, 17:37
In Australia, we're....upside..down. Kangaroo's as pets. -_-

Liara
07-01-12, 17:50
Oh, and tophats.
Don't forget about monocles! I never thought about it before but maybe the whole 'bad teeth' myth is because tea is very popular there. And we all know how bad tea can be for your teeth.

Reggie
07-01-12, 18:03
Where I'm from, that we all talk like good 'ole Jethro:

fUopUrwj79Y

Legend. :D

Ikas90
07-01-12, 18:05
Greeks are really lazy.

Australians ride kangaroos to work.

MiCkiZ88
07-01-12, 18:35
Greeks are really lazy.

That's not the only one I know.. Don't kill me, but Greeks are also known to be extremely patriotic and when it comes to Eurovision, they are God sent, and really bad losers :p

The same stereotype goes for French, and they get insulted very quickly :p

Reggie
07-01-12, 18:41
That's not the only one I know.. Don't kill me, but Greeks are also known to be extremely patriotic and when it comes to Eurovision, they are God sent, and really bad losers :p
LOL that'll be opposite of us at Eurovision then. I think we try to lose most of the time.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_RU85hb-9vi8/TUA3FqQQC6I/AAAAAAAAAYU/S-VVx9AUjpY/s1600/Scooch_-_Flying_the_flag.jpg

Something to suck on for landing? ;)

What a masterpiece of a song.

Zebra
07-01-12, 18:46
-All Germans speak in Bavarian accent, wear leather trousers, eat pretzels, sourcrout and sausages and drink wheat beer.

-Germans are stuffy and overly bureaucratic

That's the only stereotypes I can think of right now.

MiCkiZ88
07-01-12, 18:46
@Tom: Lmao.. that was so bad that I managed to erase the song from my memory.

Love2Raid
07-01-12, 18:51
I remember that, forgive me but... :vlol:
:p

Uhm, I guess a stereotype is that everyone in Holland dresses like this:

http://www.naupar.nl/app_img/arrangement/Dagarrangement-op-de-foto-in-echte-vollendammer-klederdracht.jpg

:vlol::o:o:o:o

Hell no!!

And...

- everyone likes cheese
- drugs are easy to get and completely legal

trXD
07-01-12, 18:52
Well the stereotype that we drink tea all the time is completely true, in fact I'm pretty sure it is even more true than people stereotype us as, people here drink it so much its insane...

Other than that all stereotypes about the british don't make any sense, I think some americans think we live in the 18th century and everyone is Hugh Grant.

xLara_Nathanx
07-01-12, 18:57
I remember that, forgive me but... :vlol:
:p

Uhm, I guess a stereotype is that everyone in Holland dresses like this:

:vlol::o:o:o:o

Hell no!!

And...

- everyone likes cheese
- drugs are easy to get and completely legal

DIS. IS. 100%. TROOOOO.

I actually never saw someone dressing like that. And drugs is indeed legal to get :/

Love2Raid
07-01-12, 19:01
DIS. IS. 100%. TROOOOO.

I actually never saw someone dressing like that. And drugs is indeed legal to get :/
I actually did. :vlol:
For reals. But it was some hick town I got lost in some years ago (took the wrong bus, haha). Felt like an alien...

Anyway, all drugs? Definitely not. And when it comes to weed, are you even allowed to carry it with you or smoke it on the streets? No. :p

xLara_Nathanx
07-01-12, 19:04
I actually did. :vlol:
For reals. But it was some hick town I got lost in some years ago (took the wrong bus, haha). Felt like an alien...

Anyway, all drugs? Definitely not. And when it comes to weed, are you even allowed to carry it with you or smoke it on the streets? No. :p

You are only allowed to get soft drugs. And you are not allowed to smoke it outside or something. You have to do it in a coffeeshop. Aminotright?

sandygrimm
07-01-12, 19:13
http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/32167794.jpg http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5H0GjPXYqDT6MK007eYvObqNr9VEBy TX5NM3oIRlhr7LRnKJm_O0Y38YU vampires

something like that :p
In Italy.. we are seen as thieves and beggars, such as in France.. due to the gipsy population.

Zelda master
07-01-12, 19:14
They say that Amsterdam is one big whorehouse where you can legally buy all drug you like, and that no cops are there because of the violence...

But getting a lagal stash is fun, can't argue with that though :D

xLara_Nathanx
07-01-12, 19:17
They say that Amsterdam is one big whorehouse where you can legally buy all drug you like, and that no cops are there because of the violence...

But getting a lagal stash is fun, can't argue with that though :D

:vlol: De Wallen :vlol:

KC Mraz
07-01-12, 19:20
http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/200603/speedy-gonzalez---ne_460x0w.jpg

Which is completely inaccurate, I must say. I am not a mouse.

Love2Raid
07-01-12, 19:21
^
So you're always walking around with a sombrero and yell 'Arriba, arriba!!' all the time? :D:p
You are only allowed to get soft drugs. And you are not allowed to smoke it outside or something. You have to do it in a coffeeshop. Aminotright?
You be right. xD
Actually, if you only have a little amount on you it will be, uh, ´tolerated´ (gedoogd). So, just don´t cause any trouble and you´ll be fine, pretty much. You can also keep a few plants in your garden, for personal use, lol.

TRhalloween
07-01-12, 19:28
and wear kilts, don't forget them!

Pretty much.

Kilts are only really worn on formal occasions, and then again, most people just wear suits with trousers anyway.

Zelda master
07-01-12, 19:30
:vlol: De Wallen :vlol:

Of de Roze Buurt :D

tomee
07-01-12, 19:37
In Italy.. we are seen as thieves and beggars, such as in France.. due to the gipsy population.

really? :O I've never heard of this.

sandygrimm
07-01-12, 19:43
^ u kiddin me.. I'm scared to talk my own language there without been accused of stalking or something bad. :/

Andes
07-01-12, 19:52
That northerners in the UK are pie-eating inbred Jeremy Kyle fodder. Looking around the towns and villages of Yorkshire, that's not an entirely unreasonable assessment.

Sakkemix
07-01-12, 20:01
The most heard stereotype is that we are drunkards who sit in front of TV all day and watch ice hockey.

Well, some of us are like that, but that's not true for like 99% of us.

Also, I've heard these
A Finnish male is an alcoholic with an old-fashioned mustache, bad fashion sense and an abusive wife, who lives in the woods and splits his time between hitting himself with birch branches in the sauna and hunting bears.

A Finn is very depressed person who lives in his parents' basement, listens to black metal and plays online role-playing games all day.

And these...
It's very cold
There are polar bears
People are shy and rude
Every Finnish people dance tango
Finnish people love to sing Karaoke
They drink much, especially Vodka
Physical appearance: Blond hair and blue eyes

I also noticed that Conan O'Brian's show gave a VERY distorted image of Finland by saying "Hello, people of Finland! Thank you that I am welcome in your beautiful country—While I’m here I’m planning to drink Koskenkorva (Which is a hard liquor), eat reindeer sausage and meet the great people of your country. Long live Finland." Conan O'Brian can go to hell -_-

There's loads of stereotypes about Finland... which is sad really, we really aren't that bad, we are just different.

just*raidin*tomb
07-01-12, 20:03
In my region there people considered as red necks/hillbillies/dumb because they often wear camouflage and speak with a thick southern accent that is largely hard to understand.

And for the most part they are kind of dumb. :/

Then there are the pikes who live in these trailer shacks in the hills and supposedly sleep incest...that's probably a stereotype. But there's this story where this man takes his daughter to the doctor because she feels terrible and the doctors ask "Has your daughter ever had intercourse?" (because she's pregnant) and the father is so stupid he says "I dunno, but if she needs it, go ahead and give it to her." :p O_o

Also, people around here are usually considered very nice and friendly.

leglion
07-01-12, 20:04
That we're all Indians with red dots in out fourheads that love curry. The last one is kinda true for the most part. :pi:

TRULuverzz
07-01-12, 20:05
On my English side egyptians think that we're obscene people and they want to save me before I perish in eternal flames forever O____O LOOOOL!

As for my egyptian side people think that we still speak hieroglyphics when actually egyptians speak arabic now xD

TRexbait
07-01-12, 20:23
"only in America"... -_-

I have nothing else to say. >.>

BrandonFlowers
07-01-12, 20:35
Pretty much.

Kilts are only really worn on formal occasions, and then again, most people just wear suits with trousers anyway.

I have only worn a kilt once in my 19 years of living :p I hated it.

Zelda master
07-01-12, 20:50
"only in America"... -_-

I have nothing else to say. >.>

Well for alot of things, this is true :p

AmericanAssassin
07-01-12, 20:57
Indiana is filled with closed-minded right-wingers who fling bibles at strangers.

A correct stereotype, I might add...

MiCkiZ88
07-01-12, 21:13
And these...
It's very cold
There are polar bears
People are shy and rude
Every Finnish people dance tango
Finnish people love to sing Karaoke
They drink much, especially Vodka
Physical appearance: Blond hair and blue eyes

Yerp, I've heard these things here in the Netherlands as well... Everyone is asking me like, isn't there snow (it's july when they ask the question)
right now?

*facepalm*

But then again, I do dance tango, I have blue eyes and dark blonde hair, I'm shy (although not rude), I drink Vodka and I like playing ice hockey :pi:

ozzman
07-01-12, 21:15
that we're fat , ugly, not smart, and could care less about family and more about money, and for the most part, racist [united states]

Your_Envy*
07-01-12, 21:36
Well first thing that people usually do when you mention Slovenia is:

"WHERE IS DAT? IS DAT IN EUROPE? WAT? WAT IS DAT?! :confused:
*3 seconds later* OOOH YOU MEAN SLOVAKIA, RIGHT? :D

:rolleyes:

Everybody knows everyone, because we're so small.
Drunkies. Obsessed with wine.
Jealous of everything and everyone.
Hate Croatians and all other Balkan people.
Women are beautiful (trololo).

I think that's it. We're too small to have stereotypes anyway. :p

skylark1121
07-01-12, 22:00
We're all fat and spend too much money that we don't have.
--America

Stereotypes can burn. Neither apply to me.... :o

Vinkula
07-01-12, 22:11
Yerp, I've heard these things here in the Netherlands as well... Everyone is asking me like, isn't there snow (it's july when they ask the question)
right now?

*facepalm*

But then again, I do dance tango, I have blue eyes and dark blonde hair, I'm shy (although not rude), I drink Vodka and I like playing ice hockey :pi:

One African asked me once, that does Finland have free polar bears and do we have ice cream... WTF.

MiCkiZ88
07-01-12, 22:13
One African asked me once, that does Finland have free polar bears and do we have ice cream... WTF.
Yeah.. I was also asked if we have football, ice skating, do we drink beer do we celebrate Christmas, do we have fireworks on new years...

I was cringing the whole time. We're not living in the moon or something :S

Vinkula
07-01-12, 22:17
Yeah.. I was also asked if we have football, ice skating, do we drink beer do we celebrate Christmas, do we have fireworks on new years...

Even tho we're quite far north :vlol: (Irrelevant tho xD)
Once I got asked too that do we have cars.
World really thinks we live in medieval times or are stupid or something xD

MiCkiZ88
07-01-12, 22:19
Even tho we're quite far north :vlol: (Irrelevant tho xD)
Once I got asked too that do we have cars.
World really thinks we live in medieval times or are stupid or something xD
Yerp yerp, and mistake Nokia for being Japanese :D

Your_Envy*
07-01-12, 22:21

I am just glad you made Finnish sauna. :cln: I was surprised when I saw you though, I though you'll come on a polar bear in viking suit. I am disappoint. :pi:

Vinkula
07-01-12, 22:21
Yerp yerp, and mistake Nokia for being Japanese :D

Yeah... And one Finnish man went to America with a Finnish flag and asked on the streets that "Which country's flag is this?" and answers were "Italian?" or "Irish?" or stuff like that. Srsly.

ggctuk
07-01-12, 22:23
Eating crumpets and drinking tea, that's the main stereotype. Oh, and that we all speak cockney (that's a more minor one).

tomee
07-01-12, 22:28
^ u kiddin me.. I'm scared to talk my own language there without been accused of stalking or something bad. :/

Good to know. I bet it's the same with us then.

CosmoCroft
07-01-12, 22:37
Drunks (true for some) and that we live in cottages and have porridge all the time and we don't have electricity. And we are all ginger and farmers with ugly clothes.

-smooths brown hair, ties converse and shoves iphone in pocket-

tomblover
07-01-12, 22:37
Polar bears walk our streets, we live in igloos... that's the sort of stuff every Scandinavian country has to hear, but eh. Everyone is blonde and blue-eyed, too. :vlol:

Cochrane
07-01-12, 22:45
-All Germans speak in Bavarian accent, wear leather trousers, eat pretzels, sourcrout and sausages and drink wheat beer.

-Germans are stuffy and overly bureaucratic

That's the only stereotypes I can think of right now.

Some more:
- Germans are all Nazis (this one's oddly popular in the UK).
- Germans are incredibly efficient.
- Germans have no fun, ever.
- When talking english, we use german expressions for the easy things (Mister, Yes, No) and english for the difficult ones. Although that seems to go for every foreign language, really. :D
- Germans who aren't bavarian are prussians, with strict discipline, militarism and steel helmets.

t-raider26
07-01-12, 22:46
We say aboot
We live in igloos
It snows year round
We live in a giant forest with mountain rangers

pekirock
07-01-12, 23:37
That all the hispanic homes house up to 12 people xD and that we try to fit 14 people in a 4 door car
I love this one lol :p

- Hungarians look down upon their neoighbours (romania, slovakia) and vice versa. Sad but sort of true- Hungarians are idealistic and because of this pessimistic.
That ones true in Serbia (where I was born and grew up).

In Canada its assumed that we're all eskimos and live in igloos.
That we use dogs and sleds to get to places and that we say "eh" at the end of most or all sentences, which is true :D

MiniZee
07-01-12, 23:53
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_fkBAsoSaMlM/S_FqV55nUfI/AAAAAAAAB4c/8rZx11KLdBM/s320/ScottishClansman.jpg

:pi:

Catapharact
08-01-12, 01:06
I'll let this video explain everything:

TL01SReeOqE

Draco
08-01-12, 01:53
I'm a walking contradiction to the American stereotype... except that I own guns and am slightly (SLIGHTLY!) overweight.

Encore
08-01-12, 02:41
We're all poor, ignorant and backwards, and we only care about football and religion. We have giant families that we go everywhere with. We're all obsessed with Cristiano Ronaldo and José Mourinho. Our women are ugly and hairy. We have sunny weather all the time.

I think the world basically sees us as the retarded brother of Spain and Brazil.

Alpharaider47
08-01-12, 03:05
I'm one of those lucky people who gets flack for being from two places. Stupid American with horrible teeth.

Oh wait, that's right. I'm actually a college grad, with some pretty nice teeth... :cool:

Tonyrobinson
08-01-12, 03:10
Big families, big drinkers... I am both! :vlol:

My parents don't drink though. :o

domino92
08-01-12, 03:56
Well right noo Im sitten in ma igloo next to ma pet poolar bear eh? To make it worse the onleh thin I have to drink is beer eh?

EDIT: Ooh and em geh. which I am, but that's besides the point.

sierra xb
08-01-12, 06:29
american stereotypes...

we all own guns - only in certain states :p
we buy everything on credit - this one is likely true
we are all fat - well.....
we all eat fast food - not everyone, but not far off.
we involve ourselves in everyone else's business - guilty as charged

California stereotypes...

we are all blonde and hang out at the beach and say "yo, dude" all the time - totally NOT true...I am not blonde :p
we are all left-leaning democrats - only in Los Angeles and San Francisco (which is easily 2/3 of the population
we are all health nuts - so not true...mcdonald's would go out of busines if it wasn't for California
it is always sunny here - well that part is also mostly true, unless you live in the San Joaquin valley, then you get 4 months of fog every winter

lmao, i just found this list of Cali stereotypes by city or region...

•San Francisco - Gays. Goths. Hippies. Communists. Satanists.
•San Diego - Sailors. Hookers. Illegals. Transients. The clap.
•Humboldt County - Potheads. Pot farms. Pot cults. Totally POT.
•High Desert - Meth labs. Tweakers. Extraterrestrials. UFO cults.
•Orange County - Megachurches. Republicanoids. Plastic lawns.
•Silicon Valley - Geeks. Nerds. Stoics. Robots. Zombies. DEVO.
•Santa Barbara - Birkenstocks. Nature freaks. New Agers. Snobs.
•Oxnard - Chicano gang bangers. Drug dealers. Parolees.
•Oakland - Crime. Rap. Ghetto. Welfare. Crack. Probation.
•Los Angeles - Surfers. Stars. Botox. Boobs. Fake tans. Riots.
•Hollywood - Heroin. Homeless. Hookers. Has-beens. Hype.
•Malibu - Bleach blonde beach bimbos. Rehab. Mudslides. Fires.
•Beverly Hills - Fakers. Wannabes. McMansions. Suicide.
•South Central - Crips. Bloods. Weaves. Guns. Liquor stores.
•Sierras - Unibombers. Rednecks. Snow. Rust. White trash.
•Central Valley - Dirt. Dust. Valley Fever. Bankruptcy. Stench.
•San Fernando Valley - Porn. Gangs. Valley Girls. 7-Elevens.
•Inland Empire - Indian casinos. Foreclosures. Earthquakes.

Tonyrobinson
08-01-12, 06:44
american stereotypes...

we all own guns - only in certain states :p
we buy everything on credit - this one is likely true
we are all fat - well.....
we all eat fast food - not everyone, but not far off.
we involve ourselves in everyone else's business - guilty as charged

California stereotypes...

we are all blonde and hang out at the beach and say "yo, dude" all the time - totally NOT true...I am not blonde :p
we are all left-leaning democrats - only in Los Angeles and San Francisco (which is easily 2/3 of the population
we are all health nuts - so not true...mcdonald's would go out of busines if it wasn't for California
it is always sunny here - well that part is also mostly true, unless you live in the San Joaquin valley, then you get 4 months of fog every winter

lmao, i just found this list of Cali stereotypes by city or region...

•San Francisco - Gays. Goths. Hippies. Communists. Satanists.
•San Diego - Sailors. Hookers. Illegals. Transients. The clap.
•Humboldt County - Potheads. Pot farms. Pot cults. Totally POT.
•High Desert - Meth labs. Tweakers. Extraterrestrials. UFO cults.
•Orange County - Megachurches. Republicanoids. Plastic lawns.
•Silicon Valley - Geeks. Nerds. Stoics. Robots. Zombies. DEVO.
•Santa Barbara - Birkenstocks. Nature freaks. New Agers. Snobs.
•Oxnard - Chicano gang bangers. Drug dealers. Parolees.
•Oakland - Crime. Rap. Ghetto. Welfare. Crack. Probation.
•Los Angeles - Surfers. Stars. Botox. Boobs. Fake tans. Riots.
•Hollywood - Heroin. Homeless. Hookers. Has-beens. Hype.
•Malibu - Bleach blonde beach bimbos. Rehab. Mudslides. Fires.
•Beverly Hills - Fakers. Wannabes. McMansions. Suicide.
•South Central - Crips. Bloods. Weaves. Guns. Liquor stores.
•Sierras - Unibombers. Rednecks. Snow. Rust. White trash.
•Central Valley - Dirt. Dust. Valley Fever. Bankruptcy. Stench.
•San Fernando Valley - Porn. Gangs. Valley Girls. 7-Elevens.
•Inland Empire - Indian casinos. Foreclosures. Earthquakes.

When I was in San Fran all's I seen were Hobos and it didn't make the list. :p

!Lara Croft!
08-01-12, 07:38
That the country is overrun with sheep. :pi:

HappyShannon
08-01-12, 07:54
I'm from England, so I speak in a posh accent. :|

I'm from Manchester, so I must a chav. :pi:

CroftManiac
08-01-12, 09:46
I uppose just going drunk :(

And making heavy metal :(

the ancient
08-01-12, 10:27
Belgian people:

- eat French fries every day and explain to every tourist that it's actually "Belgian fries"
- drink litres of beer every day
- hate the Dutch
- hate the Germans because they started the war (twice!)
- hate the Walloons if he's Flemish (and in the other way)
- eat chocolate and waffles after the French fries
- be ashamed of his national football team
- complain about his poor results during the Eurovision song contest
- laugh with the Belgian royal family

jackles
08-01-12, 10:31
The brits and bad teeth thing came about during ww2 pre national health and free and avaliable dentistry. Nowadays I would say that stereotype is rubbish.

I used to get told that the English are all football hooligans....and get drunk all the time and have lots of casual sex. (think that was being based on 18-30 type holidays etc)

And no we don't all talk either a. like the queen, b. like a 'gor blimey guv' cockney or c. Dick Van dyke trying to do b.

;)

@Cochrane have you noticed how many Brits end up playing Nazi's in films? weird.

HayHayy
08-01-12, 14:56
Oh, you're from Australia? Do you ride Kangaroos to school?

^ Always hated it >.<

TRULuverzz
08-01-12, 15:02
I used to get told that the English are all football hooligans....and get drunk all the time and have lots of casual sex. (think that was being based on 18-30 type holidays etc)

And no we don't all talk either a. like the queen, b. like a 'gor blimey guv' cockney or c. Dick Van dyke trying to do b.

I can agree that those stereotypes aren't necessarily true, although I do talk with a cockney accent sometimes lol but other than that I have friends who haven't lost their virginity or get drunk all the time and others who have and like to get drunk all the time xD Specifically saying it's true and false all together :p

Lara Croft!
08-01-12, 21:59
The movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding contains many of the stereotypes for Greeks.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_A9Bl4EgsXMc/TFhAqnEbL9I/AAAAAAAABC4/5Fs2_3iGyBQ/s1600/My+Big+Fat+Greek+Wedding.jpg

RfYF3TAST5E

Ikas90
08-01-12, 22:08
^ The stereotypes are true, at least for the Greek families living outside of Greece.

I've decided I'm not going to be typical. I don't have to marry a Greek if I don't want to, and nor should any Greek be pressured to do the same.

SKing
08-01-12, 22:10
Egocentric and selfish :(

!Lara Croft!
08-01-12, 23:00
Oh, you're from Australia? Do you ride Kangaroos to school?

Yeah we invented and spread that one when you guys spread the rumour that we **** sheep. :p

We aren't great with inventing rumors...

lara c. fan
08-01-12, 23:02
Yeah we invented and spread that one when you guys spread the rumour that we **** sheep. :p

We aren't great with inventing rumors...

So it's not just Wales? :pi: Come on, that is a stereotype. Don't murder me. I'M TOO YOUNG TO DIE

!Lara Croft!
08-01-12, 23:07
Its not just scotland?

lara c. fan
08-01-12, 23:09
Its not just scotland?

Hell, I didn't know about Scottish ones...

!Lara Croft!
08-01-12, 23:11
There are bestiality rumors about practically every country. :pi:

lara c. fan
08-01-12, 23:12
There are bestiality rumors about practically every country. :pi:

Most likely. I've only heard of the Welsh ones though. :p

Gracious Days
08-01-12, 23:13
All of the widely known stereotypes of the Southern US, I suppose. Plus in Texas, we all wear cowboy garb, say "Howdy" and drive pick-up trucks. None of which apply to me. I've never even thought of myself as having anything near a Southern drawl, despite living here all of my life.

Chocola teapot
08-01-12, 23:21
Most likely. I've only heard of the Welsh ones though. :p

http://i.imgur.com/r5Y1V.png

lara c. fan
08-01-12, 23:31
http://i.imgur.com/r5Y1V.png

I refer you to the first post I made on this matter. DON'T MURDER ME OH DEAR GOD DON'T

lunavixen
09-01-12, 00:06
that we're all drunk beachgoers who can down a case of beer or a cas of wine no trouble and we love brawls, dog and utes. And of course Akubra hats. and that we either ride kangaroos or have them as pets (we did have one, she still recognises me, we rescued her as a joey) but most people don't

Tonyrobinson
09-01-12, 00:27
Beejaysus! It's midnight and I haven't even had a drink today nor sang O Danny Boy whilst doing Our Lady's Rosary! I'm to be damned to hell by the brides of Christ! :o

ClassicCroft
09-01-12, 00:57
The Netherlands, Other people always think about: Prostitutes, and drugs... (it,s not true).

TheRCroft
09-01-12, 01:01
The Netherlands, Other people always think about: Prostitutes, and drugs... (it,s not true).

Unfortunately, everytime I hear people, especially teens, talking about that country, the words "prostitutes" and "drugs" usually are in the same sentence as The Netherlands.

Stevo505
09-01-12, 01:03
We're not all fat and obnoxious here in the US :p

ClassicCroft
09-01-12, 01:21
We're not all fat and obnoxious here in the US :p

HEHE :p

And we are not all Prostitutes and dealing drugs xD

Greenapple968
09-01-12, 01:30
That we all have bad teeth.

TRLegendLuver
09-01-12, 01:30
So many people make so many stupid stereotypes about America, that its pathetic (on their part):
Stupid, fat, drug dealers, anyone else who visits the country will get shot (seriously, what the hell?), whores, lazy, rednecks (and every country has those, but ours seems to be pointed out more than anyone else's), we're all about money (that's personal for some people, but not everyone), we all carry guns (while I believe in having a gun for protection, not everyone has one), we have country accents, etc. The list goes on.

*le sigh* http://e.deviantart.net/emoticons/s/stinkeye.gif

Sir Croft
09-01-12, 01:36
I don't live in a goddamn jungle.

Tombraiderx08
09-01-12, 03:00
Stupid, fat and arrogant people (USA). Ohioans in particular are supposed to be druggies.

scoopy_loopy
09-01-12, 03:16
Stupid, fat and arrogant people (USA). Ohioans in particular are supposed to be druggies.

I had a MASSIVE crush on an Ohioan exchange student!! He wasn't stupid, nor fat nor arrogant. But he did always smell of pot. :pi: :vlol:

Tombraiderx08
09-01-12, 03:48
I had a MASSIVE crush on an Ohioan exchange student!! He wasn't stupid, nor fat nor arrogant. But he did always smell of pot. :pi: :vlol:
Like I was sayin'... XD

Stevo505
09-01-12, 03:58
I don't live in a goddamn jungle.

Where are you from?

Draco
09-01-12, 04:09
Where are you from?

I bet its Brazil.

moodydog
09-01-12, 10:51
Oh, right. Heavy metal.. D:

Finnish and Sweedish heavy metal rocks!

http://its-all-like-hello.webs.com/photos/Smileys/Kiss%20smiley.gif

As for Bitish people: The stereotypes are;

We are not as funny as we think we are
We laugh at out own jokes
We insult each other
We are as drunk as the french
Every teenager has a child
STD's flow like the black death...

But the most important one: We don't have spanking white illuminous teeth like the Americans do!

shebj
09-01-12, 11:36
Don't know any Dutch stereotypes really.. apart from the fact that football is holy to them :p

don't forget the tulp flowers :D and the fact that the bike is very popular there ; and the tolerance ; the Netherlands must be one of the most tolerating country in the world. and another stereotype ; 'gierig' ; not finding the English word right now. Always trying to save money on things :D

Belgian people:

- eat French fries every day and explain to every tourist that it's actually "Belgian fries"
- drink litres of beer every day
- hate the Dutch ( we do not hate them, we're just jealous )
- hate the Germans because they started the war (twice!)
- hate the Walloons if he's Flemish (and in the other way)
- eat chocolate and waffles after the French fries
- be ashamed of his national football team Isn't that quite logical?
- complain about his poor results during the Eurovision song contest and blame it to political friendship among the other countries
- laugh with the Belgian royal family

we just like to complain about everything :) if it's not the government we're complaining about then it's the weather, if it's not that then we'll find something else
and there is no such word as Belgians; its or Flemish or Walloon :D we lost our sense of nationality and unity with or frenchspeaking part

the ancient
09-01-12, 16:51
don't forget the tulp flowers :D and the fact that the bike is very popular there ; and the tolerance ; the Netherlands must be one of the most tolerating country in the world. and another stereotype ; 'gierig' ; not finding the English word right now. Always trying to save money on things :D

Greedy ;)

and: all duch people have a trailer and speak awful French :p

NiteWolf
09-01-12, 18:18
That everyone here says "Top o' the mornin" or whatever, or that we all have red hair and wear green, eat only potatoes, are all farmers, is overrun by sheep (well, some parts are), are really really holy devout Catholics, love Irish music etc. etc. :p

maximum_123
09-01-12, 19:22
As for Bitish people: The stereotypes are;

We are not as funny as we think we are
We laugh at out own jokes
We insult each other

I bet people think that because of the amount of sarcasm and deadpan humor.

Love2Raid
09-01-12, 20:02
Greedy ;)

No, greedy is 'hebberig'. :p
I don't know what the English word for 'gierig' is. :confused:

lara c. fan
09-01-12, 20:04
No, greedy is 'hebberig'. :p
I don't know what the English word for 'gierig' is. :confused:

Google Translate, while admittedly not the most reliable, also throws out greedy for gierig, as it does for hebberig. Maybe it's just words used in different contexts, and as such are different? I don't know, I don't know foreign languages that well. :p

Love2Raid
09-01-12, 20:14
Google Translate, while admittedly not the most reliable, also throws out greedy for gierig, as it does for hebberig. Maybe it's just words used in different contexts, and as such are different? I don't know, I don't know foreign languages that well. :p
Oh right, GT! :D
Strange, it gives me a different result. O_o
(I see words like 'gretig', but not 'gierig'. Even though they look nearly the same, they're not! :p)
'Stingy', 'miserly', 'mean'... I don't know but none of the ones listed sound anything close. :p
It's when you actually need something but you don't buy it because you don't want to spend your money (even though you're not poor). Or you go out of your way to see where you can get it for the lowest price.

I dislike 'gierig' people! XD

lara c. fan
09-01-12, 20:23
The only thing I can think of is "thrifty".

trfanX34
09-01-12, 20:30
That we enjoy watching bulls being tortured and killed just for teh lulz.

Love2Raid
09-01-12, 20:30
Can that also be used in a negative way? I thought that it was something more positive, whereas 'gierig' is always negative. We have another word for this when it's positive ('zuinig').

Hehe, sorry for the off-topic but this interests me. :D

Sir Croft
09-01-12, 20:32
I bet its Brazil.
Correct.

tomekkobialka
09-01-12, 23:01
Well, I'm Polish, and last time I heard there were a lot of Polish immigrants in London...oh wait, I AM a Polish immigrant in London :hea:

Caesum
09-01-12, 23:06
Well hello there compatriot! I'm in Poland and the only stereotype I've ever heard(that's "popular" in other countries) is that we live in an underdeveloped world and our homes are like crumbling cottages.

Well, maybe it's not perfect, but don't believe Gackt that our country is like the Third World. :vlol:

igonge
09-01-12, 23:25

This. LOL And that we all wear kilts n ****.

shebj
10-01-12, 09:47
Greedy ;)

about the trailer I didn't know :) but the french yes :D well I don't know if that is soo true though ; I do know some dutch people who are actually perfect frenchspeaking

and the best way to explain gierig in english is saying ; it's the behavior of that rich old guy in a christmas carol :D

danraid
10-01-12, 10:01
I know every stereotype of the Netherlands has already been called but I just love this picture. I only miss the prostitute, or is she one.. :s :p
http://goedgelovig.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/frau_antje_der_spiegel.jpg

shebj
10-01-12, 10:12
haha ; I love that one :D

lunavixen
10-01-12, 12:35
you know for a second there, well more like three, i didn't think that was a girl, looked like a guy to me... still does

danraid
10-01-12, 14:01
you know for a second there, well more like three, i didn't think that was a girl, looked like a guy to me... still does

Oh that's just how all ordinary girls look in The Netherlands... :p

The Great Chi
10-01-12, 23:37
We always eat haggis and shortbread and drink irn bru. We are all ginger, we play the bagpipes all the time, we are all really tough and loud etcThat must be Bonnie Scotland.

I have been there many times and it is all due to this Scottish Visitors Guide film, that encapulates the Friendly Scottishness of Scotland :D

uFubsxHTApw

The comment about the bagpipes up close, is highly accurate.

We're all fat, love fast food and own 20+ guns. Typical USA one.Well the 20+ guns depends on what State you are in :D

sierra xb
10-01-12, 23:54
Oh yes, don't forget that in America, if you are poor, you shop at Wal-Mart, and if you are rich, you shop at Nordstrom's. :ton:

The Great Chi
11-01-12, 00:06
Oh yes, don't forget that in America, if you are poor, you shop at Wal-Mart, and if you are rich, you shop at Nordstrom's. :ton:Yes ,you can get a good quality kevlar bulletproof jacket, for all those guns out there :D

sierra xb
11-01-12, 00:09
Yes ,you can get a good quality kevlar bulletproof jacket, for all those guns out there :D

can i get one with pink sequins? that would go so well with my wardrobe :p

EmeraldFields
11-01-12, 04:30
Seems like most of the American ones have been covered, so I'll post about what people think of Nebraskans. :p

We still have fights betweens cowboys and Indians.
We're all country hicks.
Everyone is crazy about football.
We all live on a farm.
We ride horses to go from one place to another.
We go to one room school houses.
Everyone is very conservative and close minded.