PDA

View Full Version : Best Tomb Raider Title?

Carbon
07-01-12, 15:29
We've all rated each TR game and their levels and there development and the teams behind them... but what about the names? Post below your favourite Tomb Raider title and why it's your fav, and if you want you could pick one of the other games that you didn't like and give a suggestion of what you would have liked it called? (No Tomb Raider: Crap Editions please, no TR shall be bashed on this thread)

Main Games:-

Tomb Raider (Featuring Lara Croft)

- Unfinished Business

Tomb Raider II: Dagger of Xian (Starring Lara Croft)

- Golden Mask

Lara Croft Tomb Raider III: Adventures of Lara Croft

- The Lost Artifact

Lara Croft Tomb Raider IV: The Last Revelation

- The Times Exclusive

Lara Croft Tomb Raider V: Chronicles

Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness

Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend

Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Anniversary

Tomb Raider: Underworld

- Lara's Shadow

- Beneath the Ashes

Online Games:-

Lara Croft: The Guardian of Light

This is purely the name of the games, do not cloud your judgement of the name due to the game itself

Mikky
07-01-12, 15:37
Why is this thread in this section? :/

Anyway, I'd have to say The Angel of Darkness. It's a very dark and gripping name and I feel it really catches the audiences' eyes.

Carbon
07-01-12, 15:38
Why is this thread in this section? :/

Anyway, I'd have to say The Angel of Darkness. It's a very dark and gripping name and I feel it really catches the audiences' eyes.

Where do you suggest I put it? There really is no where else?

Vinkula
07-01-12, 15:40
I must say Adventures of Lara Croft. It just sounds so nice, the many adventures of her. Cannot really explain it, it just have this "adventures", "adventurer" feeling, what's TR3, imo, is really all about :)

Mikky
07-01-12, 15:42
Where do you suggest I put it? There really is no where else?

General Chat
General discussion on Tomb Raider or anything else. Keep it litigation-free!

:)

Carbon
07-01-12, 15:43
:)

Move it for me then... oh wait you can't. Soz... just a little mistake on my part

Tear
I think Dagger of Xian, Adventures of Lara Croft, Angel of Darkness, and Legend sound the most interesting.

LaraDuh
Traod.

Tear
07-01-12, 15:44
I think Guardian of Light probably sounds the worst.:p

Carbon
07-01-12, 15:46

I said no bashing ;)

ajrich17901
07-01-12, 15:47
The Angel Of Darkness wins hands down, it can be about so many different things.

KurtisLonely
07-01-12, 15:49
The Angel of Darkness, and Beneath The Ashes :)

Carbon
07-01-12, 15:50
I feel that Angel of Darkness and Legend sound fantastic... 'Legend' being the legend of Lara Croft type thing... Angel of Darkness reflecting Lara's personality in that game.

Mikky
07-01-12, 15:50
Move it for me then... oh wait you can't. Soz... just a little mistake on my part

It's okay. I forgive you. :hug:

Nah. Adventures of Lara Croft is prolly my least favorite one. It's so... IDK, plain and usual. And it doesn't really relate to the plot of the game. :p

Carbon
07-01-12, 15:54
It's okay. I forgive you. :hug:

Nah. Adventures of Lara Croft is prolly my least favorite one. It's so... IDK, plain and usual. And it doesn't really relate to the plot of the game. :p

Possibly not the plot, but the locations? The new inclusion of a location selector and all...

Mikky
07-01-12, 16:00
Possibly not the plot, but the locations? The new inclusion of a location selector and all...

I guess that makes sense, but I just mean that any TR could of been called that. For example, "Tomb Raider VI: The Adventures of Lara Croft". It's just not very unique. :o I suppose it was a good thing that they officially put Lara's name in a TR title for the first time, though. TR1 and TR2, with that starring and featuring thing, didn't really count, IMO.

klona
07-01-12, 16:02

this, and Lara's Shadow.
Btw, TR3's title was very lazy if you ask me. :p

Carbon
07-01-12, 16:20
if that's the case then, would Anniversary sound lazy? More understandable, but still as bog standard

klona
07-01-12, 16:47
Anniversary wasn't lazy IMO. :p
I think it was a perfect title. (Sad there won't be Anniversary II)

tomee
07-01-12, 16:58
AOD, Beaneath the ashes

BTW, TR3 title isn't lazy/stupid. It's actually a reference, people don't seem to know.
It also harks back to the classic era of Hollywood literary inspired movies from the 1940s and 50s, films like The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Adventures of Quentin Durward, The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Adventures of Mark Twain and so on.

It is a deliberately old school, boy's own sort of title but subverts it by having a female heroine.

SirPlagueRat
07-01-12, 17:05
Beneath the Ashes. It just sounds awesome. :p
The Last Revelation doesn't sound too bad, either.

Carbon
07-01-12, 17:22
AOD, Beaneath the ashes

BTW, TR3 title isn't lazy/stupid. It's actually a reference, people don't seem to know.

It's not creative if it's been done as many time as you have shown it to be...

Scorpio1991
07-01-12, 17:27
Underworld speaks to me, too bad it was such a horrible game :(

george_croft
07-01-12, 17:29
I like Chronicles. It's short and nice. :)

Serval Boy
07-01-12, 17:58
Legend.
Short two syllable word that speaks volumes! Lara is a legend. The plot is about the legend of King Arthur. It is a powerful word in its own merit. (and there is a subconscious instant appreciation for it, from another hugely popular gaming franchise with that word in its title...? Maybe)

PS, saying our least favorite title is not bashing. Especially when the poster didn't say anything negative about the game. We can rate the titles favorite to despised. That said, "Dagger of Xian" is my least fav. Naming the game after the goal artifact was a poor choice. IMO

tomee
07-01-12, 18:12
It's not creative if it's been done as many time as you have shown it to be...

I see it differently. I think it's a way of honouring those movies. It's just shows that Tomb Raider and Lara are classy.

Carbon
07-01-12, 18:26
Legend.
Short two syllable word that speaks volumes! Lara is a legend. The plot is about the legend of King Arthur. It is a powerful word in its own merit. (and there is a subconscious instant appreciation for it, from another hugely popular gaming franchise with that word in its title...? Maybe)

PS, saying our least favorite title is not bashing. Especially when the poster didn't say anything negative about the game. We can rate the titles favorite to despised. That said, "Dagger of Xian" is my least fav. Naming the game after the goal artifact was a poor choice. IMO

It's bashing it's title, I didn't want negatives... I want positives! And if a game isn't said, then I think we'll figure out that no one likes it ;) However I do fully agree with the Legend part, very right.

I see it differently. I think it's a way of honouring those movies. It's just shows that Tomb Raider and Lara are classy.

And the large percussion music adds to it, I see what you're getting at now! :cln:

Sir Croft
07-01-12, 18:31
TR 3. If not for the game itself, then for this:

uBq6ORD3CBM

Seriously, best thing ever.

Carbon
07-01-12, 18:34
TR 3. If not for the game itself, then for this:

Seriously, best thing ever.

Hey, I said titles! And in red text not to cloud your judgement over the actual game! :p

Zebra
07-01-12, 18:36
The Angel of Darkness because it sounds great and it basically reveals what the game is all about without actually revealing it :p. At first you think it's about the change in Lara and the generally dark atmosphere of the game. However, once you've completed the game you realise it's really referring to the Nephilim.

The Guardian of Light is a great title, too. It sounds kind of mysterious.

However, I also somehow like Tomb Raider: Chronicles. It's just got a nice ring to it.

Sir Croft
07-01-12, 18:38
Hey, I said titles! And in red text not to cloud your judgement over the actual game! :p
Oh crap... :p

Well, I think Lara's Shadow and Beneath the Ashes do sound great. Angel of Darkness was cool as well.

Carbon
07-01-12, 18:41
The Angel of Darkness because it sounds great and it basically reveals what the game is all about without actually revealing it :p. At first you think it's about the change in Lara and the generally dark atmosphere of the game. However, once you've completed the game you realise it's really referring to the Nephilim.

The Guardian of Light is a great title, too. It sounds kind of mysterious.

However, I also somehow like Tomb Raider: Chronicles. It's just got a nice ring to it.

For back then i'd say Chronicles is acceptable... if it were to be used in any game today I would class it as old... it's a very old title to use.

motoleo
07-01-12, 18:48
I really can't decide. Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness was a really intuitive title. I think Chronicles is the best though. I think Legend and Underworld would be my second favorites.

Rai
07-01-12, 19:01
Well I didn't like the game, but the title was cool: Angel of Darkness. I also like Last Revelation. They may only be extra levels, but both Beneath the Ashes and Lara's Shadow sound intriguing.

Lukass
07-01-12, 19:04
The Last Revelation.

The1andOnlyTR
07-01-12, 22:08

This, I'd have to say. :) :hug:

skylark1121
07-01-12, 22:11
Beneath the Ashes
Lara's Shadow
The Last Revelation

My 3 favs! :D

tr fan 4 ever
07-01-12, 22:17
The Angel of Darkness is the best! :D

Only TR lover
07-01-12, 22:57
The last revelation :)

Tear
08-01-12, 02:41
I said no bashing ;)

Not at all, I adore Guardian of Light!:D But the name is... lame. :P

Phlip
08-01-12, 02:47
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=186590

Locke217
08-01-12, 02:55
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110325113730/logopedia/images/0/02/Tomb_Raider_-_The_Lost_Artifact_(USA).png

Is that not what tomb raider is all about?
I like "The Last Revelation" the most as a title, but the one above just seems the most tombraiderish to me. :)

domino92
08-01-12, 04:12
Probabaly Unfinished Business or Tomb Raider Anniversary.

Anniversary sounds like it's going to either be a plot point or a collection of games, but it's neither, it's just a really nice word to say! :D

lcroft_lc
08-01-12, 06:13
Angel of Darkness.

Afonya
08-01-12, 17:23
Adventures of Lara Croft