PDA

View Full Version : Kids react to k-pop and their racist comments.

CosmoCroft
10-01-12, 18:42
IM ASKING YOUR OPINIONS

The actual video has been taken down, but thanks to tumblr I'll be able to post some pics.

I don't know if anyone heard about this or even if they have heard of Kids React but when they were shown some K-Pop groups they made some very racist and narrow minded.

Their comments were stuff like: This is ten times worse than Rebecca Black, I hate when asians bleach their hair because it looks say fake (from a 13 year old wearing make-up and occasionally wears fake glasses), laughing and asking "what are they saying", "god they're ugly", "this will end the world" etc.

Now you could argue that these comments were made by silly children but the children who said these were at least 13 and knew the racism in their comments.

When they were told that they were picked up by a company and trained for their debut by a company they said it was so fake and weird. No one else seemed to pick up on this but the little kid again said in a german accent "We will create the perfect popstar" Possibly imitating Hitler. However when the Kids reacted to Hatsune Mike a projection and a constructed voice. They weren't that racist and making fun of them.

BUT I saw a pattern in this. There was a lot of input by thefinebros (the people who made this) in previous video but they had very little input in the K-pop video. Then they also released a video later on exclaiming their love for Hatsune Miku. I think that is a little fishy.

The videos they reacted to:

tSOSxwEWFA4

U7mPqycQ0tQ

j7_lSP8Vc3o

I am not speaking as an raging K-Pop fan here, I want to see what people make of their comments and reactions. and again SM Entertainment took down the video because of copyright

Rai
10-01-12, 19:10
Wait is it the K-pop singers who are racist or some kids reacting to them? Or is it kids reacting to K-pop being racist? The thread title isn't clear.

The Op seems to imply the kids that are being racist against K-pop singers. In which case, that's silly and wrong that these kids are reacting this way. But brats will be brats.

By the way, there is a K-Pop thread already, this could have gone in there, perhaps.

jarekhanzelka
10-01-12, 19:22
That's some pretty terribly music to be played. If I was forced to sit through something like that, I might lose myself as well, you never know. :pi:

Seriously though, sure it's bad for them to be racist, but they hopefully will grow out of that. They're 13, as much as they're old enough to be aware of racism and the fact it's not a good thing, it's probably just "cool" around their groups. As well as homophobia and a whole bunch of other things. I myself certainly wasn't a saint at their age either.

the ancient
10-01-12, 19:30
^Agree
They are 13 year old kids, you can't expect them to give a mature and well stated comment.

And you really need to be into K-pop to like it, I think :o

KC Mraz
10-01-12, 19:34
This is the video, it isn't as bad as it sounds: http://vimeo.com/34775984

Asian pop is very, very different from Western music. It was to be expected that they were confused and found it funny (at the end most even said they liked the music, they just didn't understand a word). Except for this little angel, she was into it:

Mod Edit: Oversized GIF removed.

Assassin13
10-01-12, 19:37
Harsh comments on SNSD I can take,but on 2NE1!? THESE BITCHES ARE SO FIERCE I LOVE THEM :mad:

Hairhelmet12
10-01-12, 19:41
I don't like Kids react, some of them annoy me, but I think this is taken a bit out of context. Their just kids, they don't know what their saying. It definitely wasn't intentional.

K-pop is odd..

CosmoCroft
10-01-12, 19:44
Wait is it the K-pop singers who are racist or some kids reacting to them? Or is it kids reacting to K-pop being racist? The thread title isn't clear.

The Op seems to imply the kids that are being racist against K-pop singers. In which case, that's silly and wrong that these kids are reacting this way. But brats will be brats.

By the way, there is a K-Pop thread already, this could have gone in there, perhaps.

The older white kids are being racist to the K-Pop groups. Sorry I thought it sounded right but i forgot a comma or something idk. I didn't know there was a K-pop thread

^Agree
They are 13 year old kids, you can't expect them to give a mature and well stated comment.

And you really need to be into K-pop to like it, I think :o

I know u cant expect them to give a mature and well stated comment but they should have seen the racism in their comments and stopped it or the editors could have cut it out

Harsh comments on SNSD I can take,but on 2NE1!? THESE BITCHES ARE SO FIERCE I LOVE THEM :mad:
(As a K-pop and 2ne1 fanboy) Ikr they are probably the most talented group. love the last part of this

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxi6hePlQX1qhv2us.jpg

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxi6j8y4dh1qhv2us.gif

Love2Raid
10-01-12, 19:46
They must be jealous. http://e.deviantart.net/emoticons/s/shrug2.gif

Cali
10-01-12, 19:49
How DAREEEEE they insult ma kpop oh my gee gee >:I

interstellardave
10-01-12, 19:50
Rebecca Black has been blasted worse than that on this forum. What they said isn't racist at all; it's insensitive at most. Welcome to the world as it is, and always has been...

Linoshi Croft
10-01-12, 20:00
Where were the racist comments :confused: ?
The only thing remotely racist was "They all look the same" However, I don't think a kid of that age would of meant it to be offensive.

Also, it's their opinion :p So what if they slag it off...not one thing is loved by everyone.

Rai
10-01-12, 20:03
Okay having watched the video (thanks KC Mraz :)), this is not anywhere near as bad as I thought, so I take back what I said originally. I thought this would show a bunch of kids being really rude and racist. They're being honest in the way only kids can (if slightly insensitively). I see no reason to take offence, imo.

Ward Dragon
10-01-12, 20:42
Okay having watched the video (thanks KC Mraz :)), this is not anywhere near as bad as I thought, so I take back what I said originally. I thought this would show a bunch of kids being really rude and racist. They're being honest in the way only kids can (if slightly insensitively). I see no reason to take offence, imo.

Yeah, I watched the video out of curiosity and I agree. I don't think they said anything racist :confused: Their comments were about the music itself, how the music video was presented, how the people were dressed, that it was in another language and they couldn't understand the words, etc.

WillG
10-01-12, 20:46
Eugh. K-Pop.

Sir Croft
10-01-12, 20:48
Don't want to sound offensive, although I'm aware that I might, but aren't you overreacting just a little bit?
I didn't see anything racist there, they just expressed their opinions. If they think it's crap, then let them think it's crap.

CosmoCroft
10-01-12, 20:58
Eugh. K-Pop.
Haters to the left please (or you can just leave) (pointless comment)

Don't want to sound offensive, although I'm aware that I might, but aren't you overreacting just a little bit?
I didn't see anything racist there, they just expressed their opinions. If they think it's crap, then let them think it's crap.

I, personally, am not overreacting. I love K-Pop and all but I thought they rude. There was uproar on tumblr and other websites so I'm asking your opinions

Scorpio1991
10-01-12, 21:02
I don't seem to see any racist comments from these kids other than them saying that they look the same,
and really I don't tend to count that as racist.
But anyways these are kids pre-teen kids voicing their opinions and should not be taken seriously.
Also, the kids react is a semi-comedy series and is just there for laughs.

toxicraider
10-01-12, 21:15
What you quoted wasn't racist or offensive at all; they just didn't like the genre. :confused:
Saying that Asians dyeing their hair blonde looks fake isn't really offensive, since it's dyed, so it is fake. I didn't watch the video, but if they did say 'they all look the same', then that could be offensive.

tomee
10-01-12, 21:34
I would say, only in America, but then I would lie because I'm pretty sure the kids here are as racist and narrow minded as "kids react to" childern could've been, provided they acted the same as you described them.

I watched a few episodes, but I wasn't much into the fine brothers, but in the videos I watched (NYANcat, Friday) they acted "normal". I mean they acted considerate/smart (I'm referring to the older ones) and didn't start to acted hostile against the video.

Sir Croft
10-01-12, 22:34
I, personally, am not overreacting. I love K-Pop and all but I thought they rude. There was uproar on tumblr and other websites so I'm asking your opinions
And who's to say people on tumblr aren't overreacting?
I don't like or dislike K-pop, I don't think their comments were racist. Rude? Maybe, but that's the purpose of the video.
Whoever is part of the uproar on tumblr is, honestly, a hypocrite. There are far worse cases of racism, yet I hardly see anyone complaining.

larafan25
10-01-12, 23:11
And who's to say people on tumblr aren't overreacting?
I don't like or dislike K-pop, I don't think their comments were racist. Rude? Maybe, but that's the purpose of the video.
Whoever is part of the uproar on tumblr is, honestly, a hypocrite. There are far worse cases of racism, yet I hardly see anyone complaining.

What makes you think the people on Tumblr, part of the uproar, are part of the "worse cases pf racism"?

Anyways, I don't see it as racist, it didn't seem all that harsh. Had it been Lady Gaga or Christina whatever, they probably would have made out like it was strange too, as they're being video tapes and are expected to have some sort of interesting reaction.

Ward Dragon
10-01-12, 23:18
I didn't watch the video, but if they did say 'they all look the same', then that could be offensive.

The kid who said that was looking at a video of ten people standing in a row all wearing the same outfit, so I don't think the comment had to do with race.

Anyways, I don't see it as racist, it didn't seem all that harsh. Had it been Lady Gaga or Christina whatever, they probably would have made out like it was strange too, as they're being video tapes and are expected to have some sort of interesting reaction.

One of the kid's main complaint was that the video reminded him of Lady Gaga :p

Gracious Days
10-01-12, 23:20
Eh, K-Pop is not for everyone. I didn't see anything racist either, the music and images were just not to their tastes. Besides, not EVERY comment I heard from them was a negative one, and they were bobbing their heads to the SNSD music video, so that says something. ;)

Now, if it had been a BoA video they blasted, well...there would be hell to pay. :ohn:

Caesum
10-01-12, 23:50
Their just kids, they don't know what their saying. It definitely wasn't intentional.
You sound like every 13th or near this age kid was mentally retarded. It was completely intentional and they'd say those very words again if they had a chance.

Sir Croft
10-01-12, 23:53
What makes you think the people on Tumblr, part of the uproar, are part of the "worse cases pf racism"?
Did I even say that? No I didn't. But I'm willing to bet that the uproar is among k-pop fans.

Encore
11-01-12, 00:12
I assume the problem here is that this musical genre is intrinsically connected with a country/"race". IE, because it's "korean pop", people are assuming that by disliking the genre, you are disliking a part of korean culture.

I don't think it's stupid to assume this happens. Normally when you see a piece of another country's culture you tend to generalize your opinion over it. Everyone does it. Let's not pretend it doesn't happen.

I wish people were more able to go past the culture clash and be more open minded. I might not be into this k-pop thing, but I've felt the same outrage when, for example, I see people commenting about german music (which I love), how the german language sounds "horrible", how all german groups are violent and quasi-fascist.

Legend of Lara
11-01-12, 00:14
I prefer J-pop.

But Gee is godly.

just*raidin*tomb
11-01-12, 00:21
They are just close-minded children who are accustomed to a different culture. Very simple.

Sir Croft
11-01-12, 00:31
Why are they close-minded? They don't think it shouldn't exist, they just think it's ****.
We all think Rebecca Black is terrible, but that doesn't make us close-minded, does it?

just*raidin*tomb
11-01-12, 00:33
Why are they close-minded? They don't think it shouldn't exist, they just think it's ****.
We all think Rebecca Black is terrible, but that doesn't make us close-minded, does it?

Yes it does.

She is just a young girl who who wanted to make a fun song for other young girls to like. No harm done.

Rai
11-01-12, 00:38
They are just close-minded children who are accustomed to a different culture. Very simple.

I wouldn't call them close-minded at all. A couple of them didn't like the music, but some did and not liking the music is not an indicator of not being open-minded. They watched didn't they? Just doing the video for 'Kids React' is being open-minded, imo. Open to new tastes.

Most, if not all the comments were a reaction to the music/the bands. Not the Korean culture or Koreans as a whole. Yes, a couple of them said 'Asian Rebecca Black' to say the music was bad (to them). But from what I can tell, the comments were meant to be in a general music taste term, not because it was Korean/Asian. Yes, they're kids and kids tend to say things off the top of their heads and to be blunt, But none (well maybe one boy was) were being deliberately rude or racist. They were just giving honest opinions on the music and bands they were shown.

PandaINC
11-01-12, 00:40
I love K-Pop and I didn't see anything racist in the video. I mean, I was certainly annoyed but I just don't really like kids. :p But really, they're just kids and they're rude as hell, it's what they do.

But let me be honest, that one kid in the black shirt...JESUS CHRIST HE IS SO AGGRAVATING.

just*raidin*tomb
11-01-12, 00:44
I wouldn't call them close-minded at all. A couple of them didn't like the music, but some did and not liking the music is not an indicator of not being open-minded. They watched didn't they? Just doing the video for 'Kids React' is being open-minded, imo. Open to new tastes.

Most, if not all the comments were a reaction to the music/the bands. Not the Korean culture or Koreans as a whole. Yes, a couple of them said 'Asian Rebecca Black' to say the music was bad (to them). But from what I can tell, the comments were meant to be in a general music taste term, not because it was Korean/Asian. Yes, they're kids and kids tend to say things off the top of their heads and to be blunt, But none (well maybe one boy was) were being deliberately rude or racist. They were just giving honest opinions on the music and bands they were shown.

I didn't mean that people who don't like a certain music genre are close-minded. That's not what I meant at all. I didn't even watch the videos, I just know that teenagers tend to be close-minded or immature when they're young which is why they may immediately dismiss another culture's music taste. It's hard for me to explain. If I don't like a genre of music, I still appreciate it as an cultural art form, but I don't have to like it. Where as these kids mostly seem to to just "hate" it, it is more complicated than that. There are cultural boundaries and perspectives that need to be explored, or at least an understanding that cultural boundaries may be influencing one's decision on whether something is good or bad.

Sir Croft
11-01-12, 01:08
Yes it does.

She is just a young girl who who wanted to make a fun song for other young girls to like. No harm done.
No it doesn't. It is simply my taste.
I didn't mean that people who don't like a certain music genre are close-minded. That's not what I meant at all. I didn't even watch the videos, I just know that teenagers tend to be close-minded or immature when they're young which is why they may immediately dismiss another culture's music taste. It's hard for me to explain. If I don't like a genre of music, I still appreciate it as an cultural art form, but I don't have to like it. Where as these kids mostly seem to to just "hate" it, it is more complicated than that. There are cultural boundaries and perspectives that need to be explored, or at least an understanding that cultural boundaries may be influencing one's decision on whether something is good or bad.
Do watch the video before claiming they're close-minded, then. None of them said anyting other than their negative opinions about the music and the videos, and some of them even said they enjoyed it.
I truly think the OP and the k-pop fans on tumblr are overreacting about those children's opinions. Believe me, I've heard and seen lots of bashing towards my musical taste, but you won't see me creating a thread about it.

ajrich17901
11-01-12, 01:10
I got into Japanese Pop when I was only 9 and ya know what I didn't say anything like these little biznotches are saying. Although being disrespectufl like this doesn't fall to far from the tree, god forbid they learn something outside their own culture. God forbid Korean music isn't all about sex, drugs or FRIDAY. I think its better said like this, People fear what they don't understand.

Not all Korean Pop singers are like the above listed.
HSAbgUIKt2I
qIt6KCwlFPw

Rai
11-01-12, 01:36

Maybe in a couple of cases, their culture influenced their dislike of the music, but it seemed to me that in most cases, the kids watching the music videos were basing their reactions purely on the music and the bands alone. But if they were (consciously or subconsciously) not liking because of cultural boundaries, that's fair enough, they're simply not used to that music genre or cultural music tastes, but they agreed to listen and gave their immediate opinion. Music taste is music taste. None of the kids said they disliked the music because it was Korean. Some of the kids even liked it. I'd say they were being open-minded though. It's likely they were not told what they were about to watch before hand but were told to give first impressions. Some of the kids said they would listen to more K-Pop after listening. I honestly feel that these kids were simply being honest about the music. I don't think it's fair to call them close minded and assume they were influenced by culture or lack of cultural understanding. Who's to say that they were simply dismissing it because they weren't open to Korean music tastes. Maybe if they heard something else, they'd like it. Whether the bands were Korean or American or Russian is probably irrelevant, they either liked the music or not.

just*raidin*tomb
11-01-12, 02:28
Oh my lol. I don't feel like discussing this any longer. I was just basing my reasoning from what other people were writing because I'm not able to watch the videos right now. Nor do I think my reasoning is exclusively correct as there are obviously other options. I was merely presenting it as a possibility. Peace.

larafan25
11-01-12, 02:41
I think there is a certain level of closed mindedness to this.

I think the situation and the way in which the music and videos was presented did not allow for more of a broad or free interpretation of the media. I think in the same way it can be closed minded to dismiss every piece of new music that comes out, claiming none of it is as good as the oldies, when you are perhaps more susceptible to enjoying those songs for nostalgic reasons.

scoopy_loopy
11-01-12, 03:14
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxiefiKUJd1qhk90bo2_r2_500.png

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxiefiKUJd1qhk90bo3_500.png

Kid needs to be punched.

On a serious note, however. These kids are WAY more outgoing than usual kids, and seemed usually keen on attention. It seems highly likely that all of their reactions are over-the-top on purpose. I got the feeling these kids come from those families we see on TV, "show-biz families", it would explain a lot. :tea:

Lenochka
11-01-12, 04:57
The only thing these kids are guilty of is having terrible taste. I Am The Best is an amazing song with a flawless video. They're obviously just jealous because their faves could never. :p seriously, that song slaaaaayed all else in 2011 IMO.

scoopy_loopy
11-01-12, 06:07
The only thing these kids are guilty of is having terrible taste. I Am The Best is an amazing song with a flawless video. They're obviously just jealous because their faves could never. :p seriously, that song slaaaaayed all else in 2011 IMO.

You know it. :ohn:

Caesum
11-01-12, 13:08
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxiefiKUJd1qhk90bo2_r2_500.png
Maybe I'm not the best fan od korean pop(well, I dislike pop generally) but this kid looks more poof than most of these korean bands he dislikes so much.

patriots88888
11-01-12, 13:55
There was nothing racist about any of their comments.

The kid who said that was looking at a video of ten people standing in a row all wearing the same outfit, so I don't think the comment had to do with race.

Yea, the kid also said '...like the Spice Girls...' immediately after saying that. Nothing remotely racist in that comment at all.

This is yet another example of how overblown internet sensationalism has become. Peeps are way too defensive when it comes to musical tastes. Is it really that bothersome that others don't share the same likes as you... just give it a rest already.