PDA

View Full Version : A trip to Manchester vs Leeds

godmodder
10-01-12, 18:47
Hello, everyone!

I'm going on a trip with my girlfriend to the UK, probably between the 6th and 8th of february. We are currently considering Manchester and Leeds as our destinations. As there are many people from the UK active on these forums, I thought I might as well ask advice from some Tomb Raider fans :D

Just one thing: my girlfriend doesn't like musea or visits to churches or anything like that. Other than that, any idea is welcome.

Thanks

Love2Raid
10-01-12, 22:09
I'm not from the UK, but I would just like to wish you a good (and safe) journey, have fun! :)

patriots88888
10-01-12, 23:28
All the Brits on this forum and only one reply thus far?... and from a non-Brit at that. :vlol:

Wish I could help, but I wouldn't know the differences between those two destinations any more than that of Eugene, OR and Daluth, MN. At any rate, have a nice and safe trip... wherever you wind up.

Encore
10-01-12, 23:32
Yeah, seems the large british population of the forum isn't interested in helping out. The three people replying so far (that includes me) are all from other countries. :/

You should try Googling for suggestions. Personally I always heard Manchester is one of the ugliest cities in the UK - maybe it's just a stereotype though.

Phlip
10-01-12, 23:38
I'd say Leeds. :tmb:

Andes
11-01-12, 12:03
Hi Godmodder, I'm from Manchester and have lived in Leeds for years, they're both fine cities and well worth a visit :)

Manchester has more to offer, simply because it's bigger, but I guess it depends what you're both interested in doing. I'll PM you and we can take it from there.

XtremeJenn
12-01-12, 08:23
I took a holiday to Manchester in 2004 because I didn't really want to go to a super touristy place. I had a blast, I met some drunk old men in The Shakespeare Pub, found some false teeth on the sidewalk, and saw a drunk guy peeing on the street, with his junk out for all to see. The fish and chips were excellent, and there was some cool architecture to check out.

patriots88888
12-01-12, 08:45
I took a holiday to Manchester in 2004 because I didn't really want to go to a super touristy place. I had a blast, I met some drunk old men in The Shakespeare Pub, found some false teeth on the sidewalk, and saw a drunk guy peeing on the street, with his junk out for all to see. The fish and chips were excellent, and there was some cool architecture to check out.

I'm certain that will be the clincher. :p

TheBloodRed
12-01-12, 09:57
Back in 2005 my family and I ended up in Leeds. Was quite a snazzy place still surrounded by old fortified walls. :P

I still remember the time we spent walking the parameter of the city. xD

godmodder
12-01-12, 10:09
I had a blast, I met some drunk old men in The Shakespeare Pub, found some false teeth on the sidewalk, and saw a drunk guy peeing on the street, with his junk out for all to see.

"Perfect holiday", as Lara would probably state it :p

Anyway, I'm leaning more towards Manchester now. As Andes has recommended me a great place to stay there. Still, every experience/suggestion is welcome!

TheBloodRed
12-01-12, 10:10
In Leeds I saw plenty drunk people, but they weren't showing off their goodies or anything. xD

Andes
12-01-12, 10:25
Back in 2005 my family and I ended up in Leeds. Was quite a snazzy place still surrounded by old fortified walls. :P

I still remember the time we spent walking the parameter of the city. xD

Erm, I think you may have been in York!

Leeds and drunks sounds about right though :D

XtremeJenn, excellent choice of alehouse :cool: godmodder, add The Shakespeare Pub, on Fountain Street, to your list!

Snazabaz
12-01-12, 10:25
I'd definitely choose manchester - its huge, and loads to do all the time. Plenty of hotels, restaurants, pubs etc. Also got the manchester m.e.n arena so can go see a show or something while you're there! :)

moodydog
12-01-12, 21:47
Well as a Mancunian... I would be biased to say Manchester... but I basically spend a lot of time in Leeds too. They are both big cities, however Manchester is good in just so many ways!

I'd definitely choose manchester - its huge, and loads to do all the time. Plenty of hotels, restaurants, pubs etc. Also got the manchester m.e.n arena so can go see a show or something while you're there! :)

Oh and the Manchester Academy (1,2 and 3 and club academy), the Apollo and a huge array of clubs and gigs!

Greenapple968
12-01-12, 22:25
Manchester. :tmb:

Dark Lugia 2
12-01-12, 22:36
Manchester is bigger, but Leeds is mich more nicer. Manchester city centre is such a dirty, grey and boring place, at least that's what I thought when I went there.

moodydog
12-01-12, 23:28
Manchester is bigger, but Leeds is mich more nicer. Manchester city centre is such a dirty, grey and boring place, at least that's what I thought when I went there.

:smk: Well maybe Manchester doesn't like you!

XtremeJenn
12-01-12, 23:29
Erm, I think you may have been in York!

Leeds and drunks sounds about right though :D

XtremeJenn, excellent choice of alehouse :cool: godmodder, add The Shakespeare Pub, on Fountain Street, to your list!

Absolutely! The only thing that would've made that trip better was getting to go to a manchester united game. Not to support the team but just to laugh at the houligans.

moodydog
12-01-12, 23:31
Absolutely! The only thing that would've made that trip better was getting to go to a manchester united game. Not to support the team but just to laugh at the houligans.

Nah you can go to the city grounds to do that. :ton:

Andes
16-01-12, 08:14

It's as well you didn't then, football grounds are very sensible, over-policed places these days. The 'hooligans', such as they still are, tend to pre-arrange and meet each other far from the grounds where they can play fisticuffs to their hearts content. Strange bunch, but to each their own...

xXhayleyroxXx
16-01-12, 20:14
Yeah, seems the large british population of the forum isn't interested in helping out. The three people replying so far (that includes me) are all from other countries. :/.

Or maybe we haven't been to Manchester or Leeds and so wouldn't know which would be best to visit? xD It's better to not reply than answer with a post that isn't helpful to the topic.