PDA

View Full Version : Soul mates: Fact or fiction?

patriots88888
13-01-12, 00:55
I certainly believe. There are times where mere coincidence simply can't explain everything. For example, when you know what the other person is going to say before they say it. And when you both say the same thing at exactly the same time. And especially, knowing how that other person is feeling without them revealing those feelings or they try to disguise them (like knowing their thoughts without any intuitive effort). In some cases when this happens perhaps it is only a matter of knowing that person really well and knowing their tendencies, but what about when this occurs right from the get go (right from the time when you first meet)? And when it seemingly happens all the time? Is it only wishful thinking, or do you believe there is undoubtedly something much deeper behind it all?

Just wondering if anyone else feels this uncanny connection with another. :)

CiaKonwerski
13-01-12, 01:19
I believe there is more to life than...coincidences also. There are too many of them to simply think that is all they are. I feel as if people who do not believe in something more..haven't experiences enough "coincidences."

When it comes to soul mates...I am...not sure. I at times wish and pray that somewhere out there there is a person who connects with me so well, that...everything else doesn't matter besides this person. I thought I had found someone who was that...but, unfortunately that person was not meant to be with me. I keep hope alive, that something in my life will occur that pushes me toward that special person down the road. If it doesn't...then perhaps it was never meant to be. I guess I'll see. :p

larafan25
13-01-12, 01:19
Well...Me and my sister often say things at the same time, and We'll often end up humming a song the other had stuck in their head...

But I hope we're not soul mates. ;/

el oh el.

Otherwise I haven't encountered much like this, but I think if I did have a soul mate, then I wouldn't, if that makes sense.

Sort of destine to be alone.

interstellardave
13-01-12, 01:22
My wife and I have such events all the time. We are very much "in tune" in a lot of ways, and a lot of the time.

Legend 4ever
13-01-12, 01:31
I don't really believe in soul mates. I certainly don't believe that there is just one person out there that we're meant to be with/would have a perfect relationship with if we ever met them. A connection in life and love can be made with many people(preferably not at the same time, but if that's what you (and they) like, go for it).

Dingaling
13-01-12, 01:37
"Once, a long, long time ago, all people had four legs and two heads. And then the gods threw down thunderbolts, and split everyone into two. Each half then had two legs and one head. But the separation left both sides with a desperate yearning to be reunited. Because they each shared the same soul. And ever since then, all people spend their lives searching for the other half of their soul."

[/Gabrielle]

As for what I think? I think the concept is beautiful, poetic even. I can't really say for sure if 'soul mates' exist but for many people there's definitely that person who seems to fit with them so perfectly it's almost undeniable that they are the same 'soul'.

Dark Lugia 2
13-01-12, 01:48
Don't believe in soulmates, I believe in people that are really compatiple with each other (personalities, hobbys, etc). Mainly because its a huge world we live in, why would your 'soul mate' live in the same city, let alone the same country as you?

patriots88888
13-01-12, 01:54
Don't believe in soulmates, I believe in people that are really compatiple with each other (personalities, hobbys, etc). Mainly because its a huge world we live in, why would your 'soul mate' live in the same city, let alone the same country as you?

Who's saying that they do?

Shark_Blade
13-01-12, 02:11
The way I look at it, it certainly exist. Only that not everyone gets to find their soul mate in their lifetime, so the ones who did are very lucky indeed.

It raises valid questions as well. For example, if someone you love died before getting married and the one living eventually got married to another person, does that eliminate your chance from finding your soul mate forever? Does that mean one is doomed to be alone forever?

I was taught that God created us in pairs. If one does not get to meet their soul mate on earth, there is always afterlife in heaven, where Paradise is a place of ultimate bliss - no one will be let down therein, and God will inspire each inhabitant to seek what will be best and most joyous for him/her. With respect to this life, such a person should be patient and trust in God’s decree. He/she should go ahead and marry someone else, as life should move forward despite our trials.

DgoOdz94
13-01-12, 02:22
I think soul mates still exist, it may be rare or rather coincidence. However, it does happen. :)

Encore
13-01-12, 02:29
I don't believe in it at all.

but what about when this occurs right from the get go (right from the time when you first meet)?

That only happens in movies....

My wife and I have such events all the time. We are very much "in tune" in a lot of ways, and a lot of the time.

Because you know each other so well.

Melonie Tomb Raider
13-01-12, 04:26
I believe in soulmates :)

voltz
13-01-12, 06:30
I think the whole term is blown out of proportion. Compatible personalities seems like the more logical term.

sandygrimm
13-01-12, 07:44
I say fact :)

shebj
13-01-12, 07:53
I have it quite regularly with my bf ; we say the same things at the same time ; or sometimes he says something that I wanted to say or the other way around; or when he comes home from work I tell him what we're going to eat and he's like; I just wanted to ask you to make that :)

matrix54
13-01-12, 08:06
I think soul mate is more of a Metaphor than anything, for someone who's "perfect" for you.

It's impossible for humans to genetically create a person with a proper genetic make up to match up with other (fe)males to create the perfect baby, perfect personality for mental interest and stimulation, and individual quirks and assets /extras/other/misc..

Quasimodo
13-01-12, 08:17
I think it's a pretty idea, like reincarnation or an afterlife.

robm_2007
13-01-12, 08:48
I entertain the idea, while not completely believing it. I think that there are more than on soul mate per person. There's 7 billion people in the world (although, not all of them compatible for love, seeing as many are children, relatives, etc.), how can one imagine that there is only ONE soul mate for them, and that they will find them in the sea of 7 billion people?

tampi
13-01-12, 09:45
I do believe in the chemestry affinity between certain people. When that happens it's like magic.
It's like the ease that some elements of the periodic table have to combine with others. Soulmates.

Tonyrobinson
13-01-12, 09:49
Fiction, a relationship is what you make of it. :)

Legend 4ever
13-01-12, 10:56
I think what's more important than what we call it or how we define it is telling people that there isn't just ONE out there that they can be compatible with and that if someone you thought was your "soul mate" dies, leaves you, changes, doesn't mean they were not your "soul mate" at one point, and doesn't mean you can't find another person your compatible with.

MiCkiZ88
13-01-12, 10:59
I believe so and I believe I've found mine. :)

patriots88888
13-01-12, 11:06
Perhaps they only exist for some and not all... I would imagine one must first acknowledge the existence of a soul if they are to find that soul mate.

Legend 4ever
13-01-12, 11:25
Perhaps they only exist for some and not all... I would imagine one must first acknowledge the existence of a soul if they are to find that soul mate.

Not at all. The use of the word soul here is purely metaphorical, an umbrella term for a persons personality traits, behavior, beliefs, his or her ability to make a compromise etc. After all, that's what people who say they have found their soul mate have identified with in their partner. It's not some kind of irrational, out of nowhere feeling, it's a very rational notion.

StefanJ94
13-01-12, 11:42
Hopefully fiction. I don't want to waste time searching for my "soul mate". :pi:

patriots88888
13-01-12, 13:11
Not at all. The use of the word soul here is purely metaphorical, an umbrella term for a persons personality traits, behavior, beliefs, his or her ability to make a compromise etc. After all, that's what people who say they have found their soul mate have identified with in their partner. It's not some kind of irrational, out of nowhere feeling, it's a very rational notion.

In that context sure. As far as my comment in my previous post, I was referring more specifically to the following (note the bolded)...

A soulmate (or soul mate) is believed by some to be the person with whom one has a feeling of deep or natural affinity, similarity, love, sex, intimacy, sexuality, spirituality, or compatibility. A related concept is that of the twin flame or twin soul, which is thought to be the ultimate soulmate. In New Age spirituality, the ultimate soulmate is the one and only other half of one's soul.

Underhoe
13-01-12, 13:14
It does exist. And I did find mine.

Legend 4ever
13-01-12, 13:59
In that context sure. As far as my comment in my previous post, I was referring more specifically to the following (note the bolded)...

True. That concept is even more distant to me personally and I would guess wishing to attain that goal would only lead people into depression.

interstellardave
13-01-12, 14:36
I entertain the idea, while not completely believing it. I think that there are more than on soul mate per person. There's 7 billion people in the world (although, not all of them compatible for love, seeing as many are children, relatives, etc.), how can one imagine that there is only ONE soul mate for them, and that they will find them in the sea of 7 billion people?

You would find them BECAUSE they are your soul mate. That's the whole point of it... circumstances will bring you together with that person regardless of what the situation is; you just have to be open to the idea.

patriots88888
13-01-12, 14:44
I would guess wishing to attain that goal would only lead people into depression.

I would imagine most don't, most likely it just happens/finds you.

MiCkiZ88
13-01-12, 14:47
You also have to make choices in order to be with your soul mate. For example it might not even be in the same country. What I have with my boyfriend is something.. amazing. We connect on the same level, share similar interests and fill out each others flaws. I have found the person I wouldn't trade for all the gold in the world.

Greenapple968
13-01-12, 17:31
Fact. But they're very hard to find.

zeussy
13-01-12, 17:56
Fact. But they're very hard to find.

This, but I wouldn't say hard - seeing as it doesn't actually take effort to find your soulmate. You would never find your match, your soulmate, if you went out purposely to find them. It's something that happens just like that - it's something that's beyond our control. Talking from experience, true love is more than just a feeling, more than just a memory. It's powerful, surreal, and has the power to save lives.

Gabi
13-01-12, 18:21
They don't have to.
My partner is from one country, I am from another and we met in a third.
That only happens in movies....
Because you know each other so well.
From my experience I can say that it does not happen only in movies. We met and without knowing much about each other that "special" connection was there straight away.
It did, of course, get even stronger over the years, but it was definitely there right from the beginning.
I think the whole term is blown out of proportion. Compatible personalities seems like the more logical term.
Does it matter what it's called?
It is something special, you'll know it when you experience it.

MiCkiZ88
13-01-12, 18:24
They don't have to.

Awww... sounds like a romantic movie :D

Melonie Tomb Raider
13-01-12, 18:42
They don't have to.

From my experience I can say that it does not happen only in movies. We met and without knowing much about each other that "special" connection was there straight away.
It did, of course, get even stronger over the years, but it was definitely there right from the beginning.

That is so sweet. :)

jarekhanzelka
13-01-12, 18:45
I'm a pretty hopeless romantic, but the mere concept of soulmates is just...urgh. The only thing that matters in a relationship is how much effort are both sides willing to make, regardless of how much they have in common or how much apparent magic ("hey, I was just thinking that omgzmmgz CANNOT BE A COINCIDENCE!") takes place. It seems to me the idea of soulmates is like saying "once you find it, it all fits together and you're covered", while in reality you're just making all the effort you would be making with anyone else so long you would love them. And you can fall in love with anyone, and surely they can't all be your soulmates, and still you can have wonderful relationships with all of them...

Gabi
13-01-12, 19:11
One does not exclude the other.
If you think "I've found my soulmate now, so I don't have to make any effort in this relationship", then the relationship won't last long.
Having said that, since it is your soulmate you will make every possible effort anyway.

zeussy
13-01-12, 19:40
They don't have to.

Oh my God, Gabi.... You're amazing :hug:

jarekhanzelka
13-01-12, 19:42
I'm not saying it does, but if it's eventually only a feeling that leads you to believing you found your soulmate, then the existence of such thing surely isn't factual. And what would be the difference between a soulmate and a true love? Or, leaving those blissful terms aside, a difference between a really good, healthy, working relationship, and a relationship no less healthy and working, in which one only has a little less in common with the other? I realise I'm digging unnecessarily deep into it, I'm just a bit bitter recently...

skylark1121
13-01-12, 19:43
Fact.
I believe everyone has another half. The challenge is finding that other half.... :))

Gabi
13-01-12, 19:55
I'm not saying it does, but if it's eventually only a feeling that leads you to believing you found your soulmate, then the existence of such thing surely isn't factual. And what would be the difference between a soulmate and a true love? Or, leaving those blissful terms aside, a difference between a really good, healthy, working relationship, and a relationship no less healthy and working, in which one only has a little less in common with the other? I realise I'm digging unnecessarily deep into it, I'm just a bit bitter recently...
In my opinion they are both valid and good.
But the OP asked (more or less) whether soulmates exist and I merely answered that in my experience they do.
However, I see "soulmate" just as a term. "Compatible personalities" as voltz called it does it just as well for me.
What I am trying to say is that there are cases when one person meets another and they instantly both know that they have something special together (if they give it a chance), which then turns out to be true.

Underhoe
13-01-12, 19:56
Difference between true love and soulmate? They're one and the same.
If that certain connection is there, then love can grow into more than just a feeling.

jarekhanzelka
13-01-12, 20:05
What I am trying to say is that there are cases when one person meets another and they instantly both know that they have something special together (if they give it a chance), which then turns out to be true.

I guess that's why I'm so bitter on the topic. That DID happen to me before, but she refused to give it a chance, although it was crystal clear there was something about us that immensely attracted one another the moment we first saw eachother. Tough luck.

Rai
13-01-12, 20:06
A soul mate/true love is real imo, but whether or not you find them is a different matter.

zeussy
13-01-12, 20:07
From my understanding, some people in this world were born for each other, meant for each other - they may not know it yet, but they're incredibly lucky if they ever do.

Kelly Craftman
13-01-12, 20:35
P27MPi3ZhCg
:p

I do believe everyone has a soul mate in the world but that person might not even be in the same country as you.

Encore
14-01-12, 01:10
A soul mate/true love is real imo, but whether or not you find them is a different matter.

Then what's the point?

MiCkiZ88
14-01-12, 01:20
Then what's the point?
Point is to believe. If you proceed to be cynical and thinking love will never find me, it will not. You're not allowing it to happen. Your true love/soul mate could be close to you or you might find it at the other side of the world.

Live, enjoy life and believe in true love/soul mate and it will happen. Of course that doesn't mean you have to sit home all day long just waiting for it to come, you have to be active as well.

First love isn't always the one either.

Chocola teapot
14-01-12, 01:22
No.

People just get lucky. :p

TippingWater
14-01-12, 01:24
Fiction , but I do believe that some people are lucky enough to find a good/perfect match .

Ikas90
14-01-12, 17:15
Yes, I believe in soulmates. And I believe you can find your soulmate through faith. (Not faith in religion or anything like that, but faith in yourself, and faith in that you will find someone). Otherwise, your finding them could be said to be sheer dumb luck.

Personally I like to believe there's someone out there who's meant for me. I don't really like the idea of chance.

Hopefully fiction. I don't want to waste time searching for my "soul mate". :pi:

You don't search for soulmates... That's the whole point.

Encore
14-01-12, 17:22
Point is to believe. If you proceed to be cynical and thinking love will never find me, it will not. You're not allowing it to happen. Your true love/soul mate could be close to you or you might find it at the other side of the world.

Live, enjoy life and believe in true love/soul mate and it will happen. Of course that doesn't mean you have to sit home all day long just waiting for it to come, you have to be active as well.

First love isn't always the one either.

I know, heard it all before.

First, people told me I wasn't being open enough, and guys don't approach me because I always shut them out. They told me I just had to go out and get to know them so that I could find out if there was "the right one" for me.

So I did that, met a guy I really liked, and got my heart broken brutally.

Now other people say it was because I was TOO forward and shouldn't have been so open towards him.

....you know what, screw that ****. I think I don't want to waste my life going from heartbreak to heartbreak just to find "the one", considering it's very possible that I never find him at all.