PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new phone problems?

moodydog
15-01-12, 02:06
Hi, I am at a bit of a dilemma here...

If you were wondering, I am earning (part time, and part time self independant study) so money in only partly an issue...
I was looking to buy myself an Ipod touch, I then thought to myself rather than have a separate MP3, separate Phone, separate Camera... I should be better of buying an 'all in one' smartphone.
My immediate solution was to look at the IPhone 4s, and looking at its hefty price tag even with Tesco mobile, which is a 12 month contract at 25, but the cost of the phone is 335. So everything comes to 535... which roughly is within a very long term range of earning (I literally just started working but already accumulated quite a significant some of money so far, and its my Birthday on Monday)
The trouble is trying to part with this amount, even over a 12 month period. Worked out that the total costs will be in the first two months wage, so recovering it will be pretty fast. But as much as I would love to buy such an item, and would use it all the time, I just have a guilty and worrying feeling that I am being really materialistic. In the past, there has been times that I have bought something expensive and then worried afterwards mainly because I can't regain the costs of what I have spent. Its different this time, yet I cant still bring bring myself to part with so much money. But I want to buy it at the same time. (My justification is that I don't drink or smoke, and don't go out every weekend and spend tonnes of money.)

Also, would anyone recommend the Iphone 4S or the Galaxy S II... looking at that, its a free phone, 21 contract but over a 24 month period (would much rather 12 months tbh)?

Should I just go ahead and part... or find a cheaper alternative? Does anyone know any smartphones, which are relatively powerful with support of all the apps? I know loads of you will go... "Apple is ****e, go for the HTC or the LG or something' but there is literally far to many models to consider.

Cochrane
15-01-12, 02:14
I've tried Apple, I've tried Android, and I'm telling you: I'll stick with Apple, thank you very much.

The iPhone 4S is a very good phone. I have one myself. If cost is a concern, then look for the iPhone 4, which is still available and costs a bit less. The iPhone 4S has a better camera, Siri and (for games) better graphics, but nothing that you really, urgently need. Still - the iPhone 4S is more fun, and at most places, the iPhone 4 isn't that much cheaper, so I'd go for the 4S if at all possible. Just don't get the white one; it's ugly.

As for materialistic and so on: You have to figure that out for yourself. The iPhone won't make you any money, but you will spend way, way more time doing stuff with it than with your previous phone. I had doubts whether I needed an iPhone, because I never used my previous mobile phone, but now I wouldn't want to give it away, because I use it all the time.

Diablo_Rosso
15-01-12, 02:15
What do you use your phone for?

moodydog
15-01-12, 02:23
What do you use your phone for?

Funny you asked this, I use it for calling and texting...

But I used to have an ipod touch about 3 years ago... I used it for pretty much everything!

Diablo_Rosso
15-01-12, 02:31
Funny you asked this, I use it for calling and texting...

But I used to have an ipod touch about 3 years ago... I used it for pretty much everything!

What a comedian...

Anyway, if you want an all in one device that does all that stuff, then you can't go wrong if either Android or an iPhone. Generally, you do get more for your money with an Android phone, however, they are a little less user friendly for someone who hasn't used one before. Android does have the advantage of being more customisable and not needing iTunes to get your music and stuff on to it. You won't be believe how much of a pain it is to put your own ringtone on an iPhone. For what it's worth, the Samsung Galaxy S2 has a better processor and more RAM.

lara c. fan
15-01-12, 02:34
What a comedian...

Anyway, if you want an all in one device that does all that stuff, then you can't go wrong if either Android or an iPhone. Generally, you do get more for your money with an Android phone, however, they are a little less user friendly for someone who hasn't used one before. Android does have the advantage of being more customisable and not needing iTunes to get your music and stuff on to it. You won't be believe how much of a pain it is to put your own ringtone on an iPhone. For what it's worth, the Samsung Galaxy S2 has a better processor and more RAM.

That may be so, but iOS is optimized a hell of a load, and it basically cancels out the higher clock speed and RAM of the S2. RAM isn't exactly much of a deal-breaker anyway, I also seem to have >250mb free on my phone, even when having a fair amount of things open. :p

Draco
15-01-12, 04:52
By all means, be an iSheep. Just remember, you have to pay for everything your phone does and uses.

The only thing free with Apple is... hmm... let me think... one moment... uhhh...

lunavixen
15-01-12, 07:10
I have recently got myself a HTC Incredible S, and the only issue i've had with it was finding a suitable protection case (i found a good leather one that opens for interaction but has openings for the buttons and features), but i don't use mine for MP3s or anything, that's what my iRiver X20 is for (good old thing it is)

moodydog
15-01-12, 12:58
By all means, be an iSheep. Just remember, you have to pay for everything your phone does and uses.

The only thing free with Apple is... hmm... let me think... one moment... uhhh...

I know :( I wanna be an Isheep, believe me, I really do... but I just cant bring myself do develop the fully thick white coat. :p

jajay119
15-01-12, 13:18
Lol iSheep. Mature.

Anyway, I would say just look at what best suits your needs. I personally went for an iPhone because I, like you, grew tired of having separate things. I had an iTouch and a Blackberry which were both pretty hefty things to be carrying round in one pocket, which is often the case in late spring, summer and early autumn when you very rearly wear a coat thus having less storage space on your person. I was not a 'spec person' like some of my friends however, I got the iphone 3GS as it meets my needs just as much as the 4 or 4S. It was cheaper to buy, some places even had it free but memory is an issue. Depending on how much music, photos, apps etc you have the (now only) 8GB 3GS would not be enough so you would have to look at 16 and 32GB iPhone 4 handsets. Also you need to look at plans and prices, the plan may be 25 but what do you get for it? My guess is not a lot. Will you need more internet, thus adding a data package at 5-10 more per month. Do you need insurance? Add another 5-10 per month depending on your cover and provider. So you're potentially looking at a plan of 35 a month and then the phone cost on top. Can you get all of this with another phone within a cheaper contract? But then look at the price for that contract over a 24 month period as opposed to the cost of the pricer iphone one accross 12 months. Is it worth you paying the difference for a shorter contract and and iphone? You have to consider these things.

Cochrane
15-01-12, 14:01
Some notes about contracts:

I don't know what contracts are available in the UK, but what I'd recommend is this:

200 MB data/month, speed downgraded if you go over. This is enough for most use. There are also plans that have 200 MB data per month, and any access after that costs more money. I would not recommend that, because then you either have to pay a lot of money or your phone uses a lot of functionality if you ever go over the limit.

For phone and text messages, use something that is good value for what you already use right now (maybe a bit more; chances are you'll call more people).

Dark Lugia 2
15-01-12, 14:27
If you're getting a smartphone you'll want unlimited internet. I was on 500MB and had to ration my MB left in the last week of every month so I upgraded and use the internet and download whenever.

I'd either go for an Android or iPhone. I have a HTC and I like that Android is very open-source. Widgets are something you dont get on iPhones, either. iPhones have really great tech but its the price that is the most off-putting like you mentioned. I hear the Samsung Galaxy S2 won phone of the year 2011?

moodydog
15-01-12, 16:01
The other thing is the Iphone Apps you will have to pay for about 75% of everything. :( Is the other way round with Andriod.

Dark Lugia 2
15-01-12, 16:09
Yeah, I've only bought one app from the Android Market and that was a different launcher (homescreen interface). Thats another thing, Android is very customisable.

I get why you are stuck with what to do, I can't suggest you buy just one because its hard and I don't want to sound biased. :p Maybe itd be best if you asked on a tech forum? If you ask at a phone shop they'll try and sell you the iPhone because its a bigger sale.

moodydog
15-01-12, 16:32
Yeah, I've only bought one app from the Android Market and that was a different launcher (homescreen interface). Thats another thing, Android is very customisable.

I get why you are stuck with what to do, I can't suggest you buy just one because its hard and I don't want to sound biased. :p Maybe itd be best if you asked on a tech forum? If you ask at a phone shop they'll try and sell you the iPhone because its a bigger sale.

Not necessarily, I went into phones4U today, and they guy was like 'I would personally go for the Galaxy S2'... plus it was cheaper online than in store. :)

maximum_123
15-01-12, 19:33
I myself would go with an iPhone and maybe I'm biased because I've had all 5 of them but I've also had 3 Android phones within that time too and none of them cut it for me. They're also a lot better for handling what you want to do too, if you're focusing on media like photos and music etc due to the whole iPod part of it.

And plus, texting on Android always sucked and lagged out and force quit all the time for me making me have to delete my texts every 5 seconds but I have... 47,912 texts on my iPhone at the moment and it's still as fine and smooth as ever. They're also more widely supported with a lot of accessories and apps etc and are good with build quality and you get Apple's customer service etc, yada-yada-yada.

moodydog
15-01-12, 20:28
I myself would go with an iPhone and maybe I'm biased because I've had all 5 of them but I've also had 3 Android phones within that time too and none of them cut it for me. They're also a lot better for handling what you want to do too, if you're focusing on media like photos and music etc due to the whole iPod part of it.

And plus, texting on Android always sucked and lagged out and force quit all the time for me making me have to delete my texts every 5 seconds but I have... 47,912 texts on my iPhone at the moment and it's still as fine and smooth as ever. They're also more widely supported with a lot of accessories and apps etc and are good with build quality and you get Apple's customer service etc, yada-yada-yada.

Wow thats quite a lot of phones :0. Since 2007, I have had the Samsung D900 and then the Samsung Monte, which is my current Phone.
My dad is reluctant to let me spend my own money on the Phone unless I have the full 24 monthly pays (about 450 in cash) to spare. :p

My other alternative is just to buy a really cheap MP3 player and be happy with what I have got. :'o