View Full Version : Iran vs Barbie

Johnnay
17-01-12, 08:36
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2012/0117/1224310359473.html
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Iran+bans+Barbie/6004054/story.html
http://rt.com/news/iran-barbie-ban-toy-915/
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/151804

Iran protecting folks from evil influence of Barbie

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1007348.1326779126%21/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/image.jpg This sort of decadent Western doll, Barbie High School Musical, has made the mullahs madder than usual in Iran.

TEHRAN — Iran’s morality police are cracking down on the sale of Barbie dolls to protect the public from what they see as western culture eroding Islamic values, shopkeepers said on Monday.

Iran’s religious rulers first declared Barbie, made by U.S. company Mattel Inc., un-Islamic in 1996. But the doll has been openly on sale in Tehran shops anyway.
Officially approved dolls launched in 2002 to counter demand for Barbie have not proven successful, merchants told Reuters.

The dolls named Sara, a female, and Dara, a male, arrived in shops wearing a variety of traditional dress, with Sara fully respecting the rule that all women in Iran must obey in public, of covering their hair and wearing loose-fitting clothes.

“My daughter prefers Barbies. She says Sara and Dara are ugly and fat,” said Farnaz, a 38-year-old mother.
A Bit too weird if you ask me

Discuss

robm_2007
17-01-12, 08:49
Barbie should ban Iran.

TRULuverzz
17-01-12, 09:20
So Everything is basically un-islamic to the Middle East these days... PATHETIC! :mad:

Shark_Blade
17-01-12, 09:42
LMAO :vlol: Seriously.

Scorpio1991
17-01-12, 09:47
Seriously? It's a freaking doll Iran :rolleyes:

Johnnay
17-01-12, 10:27
Seriously? It's a freaking doll Iran :rolleyes:

Yes it's serious

And I dont get why it is serious for them to destroy some Barbie Dolls....

EscondeR
17-01-12, 10:34
Barbie should ban Iran.

:vlol: :tmb:

TRULuverzz
17-01-12, 10:48
Iran be banning Barbies like a BOSS :ohn:
But seriously, banning Barbies is ridiculous, It's one thing that Saudi Arabia bans woman showing their eyes in public, but this. OMG *facepalm*

Saman
17-01-12, 10:54
rofl! and So What?!

But as an Iranian, I'm not responsible for this!

Beside for those, who is care about just a pinki pinki girl doll, I have no comment to tell.

Shark_Blade
17-01-12, 10:55
It's just a doll, no need to ban it.
Unless it's a bratz doll.

EscondeR
17-01-12, 10:56
I wonder what if iranian women ban iranian men... ;)

Saman
17-01-12, 11:00
I wonder what if iranian women ban iranian men... ;)

No! I wonder if we (Iranian men) can be possible ban them (Iranian woman) on first! :ton:

TRULuverzz
17-01-12, 11:02
But that would mean no more birth rates in Iran o_O lol

Saman
17-01-12, 11:08
But that would mean no more birth rates in Iran o_O lol

No! But there is a solution:

Importation of Russian girls sending by dear EscondeR ... :D

EscondeR
17-01-12, 11:10
^ You may hope :rolleyes:

Saman
17-01-12, 11:29
^ You may hope :rolleyes:

In that case WE coming to Russia and rob some girls!

EscondeR
17-01-12, 11:34
o.0
Risk your health ;)

TRULuverzz
17-01-12, 11:38
Leave Russian girls ALONE xD

klona
17-01-12, 11:38
In that case WE coming to Russia and rob some girls!

I'm afraid the opposite might happen. :whi:

Dennis's Mom
17-01-12, 11:44

^Tru dat. I despised "Bratz Dolls" from the word go. Atrocious things.

Iran reminds me of parents who obsessively screen their children's everything because they have no confidence in their children or their own parenting.

Saman
17-01-12, 11:45
o.0
Risk your health ;)

lol! Then I'm open to any challenge! (No man can be resists himself to hot Russian girls!)

Back to topic:

It's not new for me, that was happpened before (even before Dara and Sara), not about dolls, you can see it on other baby toys, for god sake! It's just a toy, babies doesn't really understand about what is actually point is to ban a barbie doll, baby girls want them because it's nice, it's fun, it's prettier than those Dara and Sara, as a looking a mature that doll is completely whimsied and should it be cover of naked parts of her body, but as a kid view, just some thing for play, some thing that she can be having fun with it.

This is can be call an extreme overacting control, that's a wretched fact in my country.

Edit:

Iran reminds me of parents who obsessively screen their children's everything because they have no confidence in their children or their own parenting.

Like I've said before but it's looking by our governments yes, they do this to inbreed of description an exotic of "their Islam" to people, but we (Iranians) all ready knows what is wrong or what is right, so actually we don't care about their viewpoint.

EscondeR
17-01-12, 11:47
^ ^ I wonder which of two it would really be :whi: :cln:

@ klona: Do you mean russain men and lesbians will do a raid to free some hot iranian chicks? :cln:

shebj
17-01-12, 12:01
see this is what bothers me most ; as soon as iran ; or any other country from the middle east oposes against something that came from the west it's big news and they are stupid and so on. But sometimes you have to see things from their side ; true ; they are quite discriminating against women over all ; but that's definitely not always like that.
and you still have to remember ; those countries in the middle east ; and muslims over all do follow their beliefs and customs far more stricter. It's not like most of us here where we choose in what we belief ; there are also a lot of extremist catholics ; but do they get in the news that often?

and Iran has an alternative and no it's not the sara and dara doll. it's practically almost the same as barbie ; the only difference being the head scarfs.
http://www.fulla.us/ (http://iranianbarbie/)

ajrich17901
17-01-12, 13:06
Someone please put a giant box around Iran and lock it...with a million friken locks. These people need to get with the times instead of living centuries behind.

Dark Lugia 2
17-01-12, 13:11
Oh how sad. Its their opressed women in doll form!

http://z.about.com/d/middleeast/1/0/D/5/-/-/barbie.jpg

Ward Dragon
17-01-12, 13:25
see this is what bothers me most ; as soon as iran ; or any other country from the middle east oposes against something that came from the west it's big news and they are stupid and so on. But sometimes you have to see things from their side ; true ; they are quite discriminating against women over all ; but that's definitely not always like that.
and you still have to remember ; those countries in the middle east ; and muslims over all do follow their beliefs and customs far more stricter. It's not like most of us here where we choose in what we belief ; there are also a lot of extremist catholics ; but do they get in the news that often?

It's because in the US and Europe, extremists are the minority and the majority of people (including the governments) want to respect and uphold human rights. The extremist groups here have very little power and rarely do anything that actually affects other people, and if an extremist group here does do something totally out of line then they do indeed get a lot of bad press for it, like the Westboro Baptist Church.

On the other hand, in countries like Iran or Saudi Arabia the government is extremely oppressive and strips citizens of their rights for little to no reason. That's why there's a much bigger outrage over it.

klona
17-01-12, 14:16

@ klona: Do you mean russain men and lesbians will do a raid to free some hot iranian chicks? :cln:

Maybe. http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lw1y86JvOb1qlclt4o1_100.gif

xXhayleyroxXx
17-01-12, 14:23
I'm not surprised Barbie is more popular than the 'officially approved dolls'. They're scary! :p

http://www.bangalorebeats.com/images/sara_dara.jpg

Sgt BOMBULOUS
17-01-12, 14:36

It's all about the control and oppression of women. These people are terrified of women gaining social and political parity. That's all there is to it.

EscondeR
17-01-12, 15:28
It's all about the control and oppression of women. These people are terrified of women gaining social and political parity. That's all there is to it.
Sad truth.
Well... If they didn't keep them oppressed for that long, they wouldn't have had any terror haunting them, perhaps :mis:

Saman
17-01-12, 15:44

Okay! No give up until I've got one (or maybe 2-3) hot Russian woman!

see this is what bothers me most ; ...

I do agreed with you on one side but I think Ward Dragon has been told the best answer. (:

On the other hand, in countries like Iran or Saudi Arabia the government is extremely oppressive and strips citizens of their rights for little to no reason. That's why there's a much bigger outrage over it.

Yes, and that is exactly the main problem. Thank you for well discretion :tmb:

Someone please put a giant box around Iran and lock it...with a million friken locks. These people need to get with the times instead of living centuries behind.

lol! Have you done with my people country?! It's totally different in here from your imaginary, so please do some research and think before tell any thing (;

You're wrong Sgt!

I can tell woman's on here most active then men's, one nice example: 66% of accepted students on the university is girls, and having some specified jobs with men's, they are in the politic party's too, beside the subject of topic is not kind of business from your point I think.

@Hayley

Thanks for image, and Yes, they look so horrible D:

EscondeR
17-01-12, 15:53
Okay! No give up until I've got one (or maybe 2-3) hot Russian woman!

Actually I was replying to another post :p

I wonder which of two it would really be :whi: :cln:

Ikas90
17-01-12, 17:06
When is Iran going to learn to accept other people's cultural differences? :rolleyes:

We can respect yours, so why can't you respect ours?

Mad Tony
17-01-12, 17:24
No mention of Israel. That's a shame, because I was looking forward to see how they could weave it into their objections to Barbie dolls. They're very creative when it comes to that sort of thing.

igonge
17-01-12, 19:30
The dolls named Sara, a female, and Dara, a male, arrived in shops wearing a variety of traditional dress, with Sara fully respecting the rule that all women in Iran must obey in public, of covering their hair and wearing loose-fitting clothes.

“My daughter prefers Barbies. She says Sara and Dara are ugly and fat,” said Farnaz, a 38-year-old mother.

:vlol: That last bit made be choke on my water

Johnnay
17-01-12, 20:57
No mention of Israel. That's a shame, because I was looking forward to see how they could weave it into their objections to Barbie dolls. They're very creative when it comes to that sort of thing.

What:confused:

This has nothing to do with Israel. Not like they care about....... Barbie XD.

Weemanply109
17-01-12, 21:00
Barbie should ban Iran.

:tmb:

Mad Tony
17-01-12, 21:00
What:confused:

This has nothing to do with Israel. Not like they care about....... Barbie XD.No, I was just surprised that they didn't weave Israel into their objections to Barbie. They normally do with everything else.

benjamin_2010
17-01-12, 21:04

TRUTH!

But bitches be crazy, why ban a doll. irritating.

TRULuverzz
17-01-12, 22:50
When is Iran going to learn to accept other people's cultural differences? :rolleyes:

Agreed! Not just Iran, but the rest of the Middle Eastern countries, I know that they have their own customs and laws. But in all honesty, those customs need to be eradicated and replaced with more democratic laws. That way, everybody wins! Oh and little Iranian girls can start playing with Barbie and not some muslim doll they don't like :/

Carbon
17-01-12, 23:03

Can we? :pi:

larafan25
17-01-12, 23:05

Yeah, that's what I question. It seems everyone's always leik "eww get ur culture eway!"

But I wasn't going to mention it.

Tony9595
18-01-12, 00:13
Tomb Raider: Legend sucks anyway, they won't miss it.

Gamd1011
18-01-12, 00:13
Tomb Raider: Legend sucks anyway, they won't miss it.
:vlol:!!!

Dark Lugia 2
18-01-12, 00:19

Yeah, that's what I question. It seems everyone's always leik "eww get ur culture eway!"

But I wasn't going to mention it.

We respect them enough to allow them to practice their cultures freely/privately in our countries. It looks like Iran would rather ban anything that is isn't a part of its own culture from being allowed. Or maybe, as usual, the news have blown it out of proportion, seeing as someone from Iran posted earlier in this thread saying that no-one listens to the crazies. Kind of like how the US have the Phelphs family? IDK

QiX
18-01-12, 00:38
http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k377/Ottavius_album/a32421b2.jpg

Solice
18-01-12, 01:43
"with Sara fully respecting the rule that all women in Iran must obey in public, of covering their hair and wearing loose-fitting clothes."

Or she gets 12th century style stoning.

Encore
18-01-12, 02:05
She added that she could not find Barbie cartoon DVDs as she was told they were also banned from public sale.

You know it's bad when someone thinks Barbie movies are immoral. :vlol:

TRLegendLuver
18-01-12, 04:03
Dear God, I mean "Allah". I respect our differences in both religion and culture. Get. Over. It already.

Alpharaider47
18-01-12, 04:11
Ahmadinejad and the Ayatollah are just upset that the size of Barbie's breasts rival that of their egos.

b.gluch
18-01-12, 04:13
Sara and Dara are ugly and fat

loves it. thats pretty funny

Solice
18-01-12, 05:39
Iran is run by a tyrannical, primitive, patriarchal religious system. I say 'system' because it permeates and oppresses the entire social and economic systems.

I don't know why the 'Arab Spring' has not taken hold in the most brutal of dictatorships in the Middle East. If someone knows, let me know. I am sure it's a complex set of events.

EscondeR
18-01-12, 05:43
^ Let's not go completely OT though :mis:

TRLegendLuver
18-01-12, 06:35
Iran is run by a tyrannical, primitive, patriarchal religious system. I say 'system' because it permeates and oppresses the entire social and economic systems.

I don't know why the 'Arab Spring' has not taken hold in the most brutal of dictatorships in the Middle East. If someone knows, let me know. I am sure it's a complex set of events.

Ahmadinejad and the Ayatollah are just upset that the size of Barbie's breasts rival that of their egos.

:vlol:

Ward Dragon
18-01-12, 08:17

I'm being cynical here, but based on what has happened in Egypt and Libya so far with the Muslim Brotherhood taking over, I think the Arab Spring wasn't about freedom at all. It was just an excuse for the extremists to gain more power and further oppress people. Like in Egypt, they're considering rewriting the constitution so that women and religious minorities have no rights. How is this better than when Mubarak was in charge? So my pessimistic explanation is that the Arab Spring hasn't touched countries like Iran because the extremists are already in power there, so no need to stir up the people to overthrow the current government.

Edit: Alright, apparently the more rational parties in Egypt are having a bigger influence on things than the last time I checked for news on Egypt, so at least Egypt might have a bill of rights in the future. I still think the Muslim Brotherhood wanted the revolution as a chance to gain power and oppress people though. I just hope it doesn't work.

TRULuverzz
18-01-12, 09:04
I'm being cynical here, but based on what has happened in Egypt and Libya so far with the Muslim Brotherhood taking over, I think the Arab Spring wasn't about freedom at all. It was just an excuse for the extremists to gain more power and further oppress people. Like in Egypt, they're considering rewriting the constitution so that women and religious minorities have no rights. How is this better than when Mubarak was in charge? So my pessimistic explanation is that the Arab Spring hasn't touched countries like Iran because the extremists are already in power there, so no need to stir up the people to overthrow the current government.

Edit: Alright, apparently the more rational parties in Egypt are having a bigger influence on things than the last time I checked for news on Egypt, so at least Egypt might have a bill of rights in the future. I still think the Muslim Brotherhood wanted the revolution as a chance to gain power and oppress people though. I just hope it doesn't work.

Agreed with this, If the Muslim Brotherhood took control of Egypt to oppress women and kill off homosexuals and ruin the country as a whole, I fear that they do because Egypt will no longer become a tourist attraction and ofcourse, I'll have to leave! I surely hope they never have the chance to take over Egypt!

scoopy_loopy
18-01-12, 11:21
^ *Sigh* Poor Egypt. If only the polytheists of old had prevailed. XD

Mad Tony
18-01-12, 11:41

Edit: Alright, apparently the more rational parties in Egypt are having a bigger influence on things than the last time I checked for news on Egypt, so at least Egypt might have a bill of rights in the future. I still think the Muslim Brotherhood wanted the revolution as a chance to gain power and oppress people though. I just hope it doesn't work.Depends on the country I guess. Too early to tell how things will work but if oppressive regimes take over again they'll be ousted eventually.

Ward Dragon
18-01-12, 11:52
Depends on the country I guess. Too early to tell how things will work but if oppressive regimes take over again they'll be ousted eventually.

I'm not convinced of that though. At this point, I really don't think Mubarak and Gaddaffi were ousted because of being oppressive. I think they were overthrown because they weren't as extreme as the extremists wanted them to be. Therefore the extremists incited people to rebel, those people got killed, and that got the West to interfere to try to protect the rebels. Meanwhile the extremists quietly take over, put into place their extremist ideals, and that's that.

Iran already went through this in the '70's when the extremists got people to rebel against the Shah, then afterwards the current government took over and has been oppressive for the last 30 years without any further rebellions taking place. Once the extremists are in power, they have no need to incite people to rebel anymore, and it takes quite a lot for people to rebel without incitement.

Mad Tony
18-01-12, 12:09
I'm not so sure this is comparable to Iran in the 70s. That whole revolution was clearly about overthrowing the Shah and installing an oppressive theocracy where as I think it's much more murky with the Arab Spring.

Ward Dragon
18-01-12, 12:15
I'm not so sure this is comparable to Iran in the 70s. That whole revolution was clearly about overthrowing the Shah and installing an oppressive theocracy where as I think it's much more murky with the Arab Spring.

Yeah, the sneaky bastards like the Muslim Brotherhood did a better job of masking their intentions this time XD

TRULuverzz
18-01-12, 12:21
The Muslim Brotherhood actually deserves to be punished :mad:

scoopy_loopy
18-01-12, 12:43
Clearly these little girls don't see the appeal in body coverings... :whi:

Johnnay
22-01-12, 20:08
Clearly these little girls don't see the appeal in body coverings... :whi:

Lmao

FloTheMachine
22-01-12, 20:35