PDA

View Full Version : George Lucas "I'm retiring"

ggctuk
17-01-12, 20:36
source (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/magazine/george-lucas-red-tails.html?_r=3&pagewanted=all)

All I can say, is about time, really.

Weemanply109
17-01-12, 20:43
Shame. RIP.

EDIT: Oh ****, he's still alive? Oh well, time to collect your pension Mr. Enjoy the rest of your life. http://i.imgur.com/NoNmk.png

ggctuk
17-01-12, 20:49
Shame. RIP.

EDIT: Oh ****, he's still alive? Oh well, time to collect your pension Mr.

Hence him retiring :vlol:

Weemanply109
17-01-12, 20:51
Hence him retiring :vlol:

:vlol: I accidently clicked on this thread and I just read "Source, about time really" and I assumed he died when I clicked on the link (TL;DR) and the title of the article said "Roll the credits", hence why I came to that assumption. :p

igonge
17-01-12, 20:52
Hooray!... I mean, well done Mr Lucas.

Maybe this will stop him from ****ing with Star Wars once and for all <3

Carbonek_0051
17-01-12, 20:53
Lame.

It's annoying how people hate on him, he was the whole reason we have Star Wars in the first place.

ggctuk
17-01-12, 20:56
Lame.

It's annoying how people hate on him, he was the whole reason we have Star Wars in the first place.

I'm not hating, I just think he's getting on a bit.

Carbonek_0051
17-01-12, 20:57
I'm not hating, I just think he's getting on a bit.
How so?

He hasn't really done anything since the last Indiana Jones & Star Wars film.

Reggie
17-01-12, 20:59
George Lucas was a hit and miss visionary IMO. Indy 4 was just bad, bad, bad.

Carbonek_0051
George Lucas was a hit and miss visionary IMO. Indy 4 was just bad, bad, bad.

I actually enjoyed Indy 4, more so than the Last Crusade.

Johnnay
He might be retiring but thanks for creating Star Wars in the first place:)

Reggie
17-01-12, 21:02
Interesting. That's all I have to say. :p

tomblover
17-01-12, 21:03
I might just break out into a happy dance if someone doesn't hold me back right about now. :vlol:

Weemanply109
17-01-12, 21:11

This. :tmb:

ggctuk
17-01-12, 21:12
How so?

He hasn't really done anything since the last Indiana Jones & Star Wars film.

As in 'getting old'. Have you seen how white his hair is? :p

Carbonek_0051
17-01-12, 21:13
As in 'getting old'. Have you seen how white his hair is? :pHe should work until he dies. lmao

Sgt BOMBULOUS
17-01-12, 21:14
Didn't he retire in 1983? Just kidding... He hasn't made anything in a while though has he?

Weemanply109
17-01-12, 21:28
He should work until he dies. lmao

I just noticed the white text. :vlol:

Zelda master
17-01-12, 21:46

Overrated franchise anyways, and don't get me wrong I think the first three movies are insanely good. But only the Original releases, the re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-releases have all sucked. Or the insane practical special effects were replaced with craptastic CGI. Or when that wasn't the case, the latest transfer sucked just overall major ass with: Crushed Blacks, Wrong Colored Lightsabers, Unnessary "Goof" Corrections, Ten Year Old 2K Scans that were already done and used for the (and stay with me on this one) LASERDICS re-re-re-re-re-release, and so much more...
The prequels, ow boy what could have been... Although the entire ending of Episode III was very good, I liked it once Anikan was finally evil, Hayden's performs though killed the fun whenever Anakin would have to say something...

And about Indiana Jones: And the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, seriously it's not as bad as people make it out to be! Sure there more then enough problems, but comparing it to the original three movies I had just the same amount of laughs, and the action was once again thrilling as always. The Greenscreen, Monkey Swinging, The Ants and all, well we can't blame Lucas for that one. That was our beloved Spielberg's choice to have so much unnecessary CGI thrown into the mix while ALOT could have been done practical, and that was what destroyed it for me...
And don't start the: "Yes but he survived the Nuclear Explosion in a Frigde. That's impossible!", no but: having a gold Ark of which the content can kill and explode people, ripping people still beating hearts out, and finding a cup that can suck out our life or grand eternal live were realistic...

knightgames
17-01-12, 22:49
He's putting out REDTAILS this Friday. It's based on the all black WW2 pilots from Tuskeegee Alabama. Should be fun, and hopefully acurate. But he did tell Jon Stewert that this will be as close to #7 as we'd get.

6YjUUT7G55c

As far as his more popular fare, it was him and Spielberg who created the genre of summer blockbusters. I personally think Indy #1 holds up quite well even thirty years later. Two was dark, but I enjoyed it despite many who didn't like the tone. Number 3 was alright. I kept feeling like Sean Connery was cast just to boost viewers. He was the hot commodity at the time and was in a bunch of stuff. Everytime I saw him on screen in Indy 3, I kept thinking to my self, "Oh look. It's Sean Connery." It doesn't hold up very well IMO. Number 4 was much less than stellar. Oh well.

The first three SWs were great entertainment. The acting was horrible in the original, but the effects and characters were likable. The story was new and fresh for teens who weren't familiar with 40's movie serials. #5 is my favorite Star Wars.

He founded Industrial Light and Magic which has gone on to create visual effects that wowed audiences in a number of movies.

THX audio was another one of his pet projects.

All in all hr has a lot to be proud of.

I met him once, and didn't really come away with a positive impression, but I'm sure he has people coming up to him all the time. I just said hi. Told him my name and that it was a pleasure to meet him. His hand shake was like a cold dead fish.

CuteLilDragon
17-01-12, 22:51
It is time for everyone to step down eventually. (For George it's REALLY time. :p)

Encore
17-01-12, 23:46
Lame.

FINALLY, someone that shares my opinion.

I can't even begin to express how much I hate those types of fanboys.

IT'S HIS UNIVERSE. He CREATED it. IMO he can do whatever he wants with it.

....Or could, seeing as he's retiring. But I'll forever be grateful for the experience that the Star Wars movies provided me.

voltz
18-01-12, 01:29
Same here. I'm hoping some point he'll ok the originals to be released again (with their original covers).

Admles
18-01-12, 05:28
Lame.

Exactly. This whole sheep mentality of hating on Luacs, and the new trilogy, is getting really old.

He created an awesome universe, and they are HIS films, he can do whatever he wants to them.

The man has earned his retirement, and more power to him.

interstellardave
18-01-12, 11:46
All these people saying "it's his films" or "it's his universe" and "he can do whatever he wants with them" are right... to a degree. That doesn't mean we have to like it, especially since we're paying customers who happen to really love the series!

Personally I don't care that he made all the changes to the original films... I would just like, since I'm paying a substantial sum of money for them, to have the ability to watch the unaltered versions of the films if I wish. They exist--it's not like he has to go to a lot of extra trouble in re-releasing them, right?

ALSO: I really like the last Indy film too. I'm not sure what was so wrong with it?

Ward Dragon
18-01-12, 12:13
And don't start the: "Yes but he survived the Nuclear Explosion in a Frigde. That's impossible!", no but: having a gold Ark of which the content can kill and explode people, ripping people still beating hearts out, and finding a cup that can suck out our life or grand eternal live were realistic...

The difference is that the last three things are explicitly meant to be supernatural, so it's easier to accept that strange things happen which don't obey the laws of physics. On the other hand, nuclear weapons are real so to use them in an unrealistic way is much more noticeable and it seems weird even in the context of everything else that happens in the series.

All these people saying "it's his films" or "it's his universe" and "he can do whatever he wants with them" are right... to a degree. That doesn't mean we have to like it, especially since we're paying customers who happen to really love the series!

Personally I don't care that he made all the changes to the original films... I would just like, since I'm paying a substantial sum of money for them, to have the ability to watch the unaltered versions of the films if I wish. They exist--it's not like he has to go to a lot of extra trouble in re-releasing them, right?

ALSO: I really like the last Indy film too. I'm not sure what was so wrong with it?

Exactly :tmb:

interstellardave
18-01-12, 12:28
Even though I really enjoy Kingdom of the Crystal Skull I did cringe at the fridge scene. Just being banged around inside there is likely to kill someone--and that's in the unlikely event that it stays closed like it did, and you're not thrown out of the thing.

Still, with that said, watch ANY movie with action scenes in them and you'll find things that are just downright impossible. The things people do and the punishment they take in even the most average of action/adventure movies is totally unrealistic. I think that all action movies really could be reclassified as fantasy movies at this point--purely for the fantastical things that occur in them.

Ward Dragon
18-01-12, 12:48
Even though I really enjoy Kingdom of the Crystal Skull I did cringe at the fridge scene. Just being banged around inside there is likely to kill someone--and that's in the unlikely event that it stays closed like it did, and you're not thrown out of the thing.

Still, with that said, watch ANY movie with action scenes in them and you'll find things that are just downright impossible. The things people do and the punishment they take in even the most average of action/adventure movies is totally unrealistic. I think that all action movies really could be reclassified as fantasy movies at this point--purely for the fantastical things that occur in them.

Yeah, I guess that's another area where it's easier to suspend disbelief. We've seen over-the-top fight scenes in so many movies that even though we know it's unrealistic it doesn't seem strange to see it.

knightgames
18-01-12, 13:09
MDIBchVxSmE

Leave it to William Shatner to encapsulate George Lucas' career. I forgot about Howard the Duck. LOL

Lucas' inspiration for the Star Wars Death Star run....... Mosquito Squadron. :ton:

4OZq-tlJTrU

Admles
18-01-12, 13:45
Yeah, I guess that's another area where it's easier to suspend disbelief. We've seen over-the-top fight scenes in so many movies that even though we know it's unrealistic it doesn't seem strange to see it.
That's true; most movies require a major suspension of disbelief; Wanted and Salt are two examples

Carbonek_0051
19-01-12, 00:44
FINALLY, someone that shares my opinion.

I can't even begin to express how much I hate those types of fanboys.

IT'S HIS UNIVERSE. He CREATED it. IMO he can do whatever he wants with it.

....Or could, seeing as he's retiring. But I'll forever be grateful for the experience that the Star Wars movies provided me.

Exactly. This whole sheep mentality of hating on Luacs, and the new trilogy, is getting really old.

He created an awesome universe, and they are HIS films, he can do whatever he wants to them.

The man has earned his retirement, and more power to him.
:tmb:

Shark_Blade
19-01-12, 01:25
Meh, people can dislike what they don't like as they are the consumers anyway.

The fanboys can like what they like, the others can dislike what they don't like. Everybody wins.

I personally don't like his new stuff much. Happy retirement Lucas.

benjamin_2010
19-01-12, 01:28
who's he

Alpharaider47
19-01-12, 06:11

I'll do you a favor and pretend you didn't just pick Shia over Sean Connery. One time deal though kiddo.

I think it's about time George put an end to his Star Wars career. The original trilogy was amazing, some of the best 3 movies I've ever seen, and choosing Harrison Ford as Han Solo was sheer brilliance. The 3 prequels weren't as great in my opinion, but they weren't bad films. There was a lot I'd have liked to have seen done differently in some ways, but it's his universe, his playground to do with what he wanted. I don't bash him for Star Wars. Indiana Jones on the other hand, a series that pretty much shaped the last 16 years of my life, I do hold against him. The originals were amazing, Temple of Doom a low point in my opinion, but an enjoyable low point. Indy 4... well there's nothing I can say about it that hasn't been said before. And he wants a 5th one... I'm holding Spielberg as responsible for whatever happens in this one, and the last one.

I think it's a good decision to step away from the franchise though. There's a lot that can be done with periods that Lucas himself didn't explore, much like Bioware has done. He succeeded in creating a rich universe that, while there are things a lot of fans don't like, there exists the potential to tell stories arguably greater than that of 6 mere movies.

voltz
19-01-12, 06:17
We have to keep in mind even if he's done, he still has to give his blessings regarding some of the more important projects that come by. That includes exploring and creating new areas the franchise hasn't been to, plus he can rule out against sequels if he decides it's not something he's pleased with.

Tolken's son has the same authority and it was just luck for us he gave Jackson the go ahead.

Alpharaider47
19-01-12, 06:43
We have to keep in mind even if he's done, he still has to give his blessings regarding some of the more important projects that come by. That includes exploring and creating new areas the franchise hasn't been to, plus he can rule out against sequels if he decides it's not something he's pleased with.

Tolken's son has the same authority and it was just luck for us he gave Jackson the go ahead.

While this is true, I'd argue that over the past few years the Star Wars products that have come from outside Lucas and Lucas Arts themselves have been superior to most of what the two have come up with recently.

voltz
21-01-12, 06:03
I had a funny thought, what if "Star Wars Holiday Special" were given the green light for Blu-Ray? :cln: