PDA

View Full Version : Terms and Conditions updated

tlr online
18-01-12, 03:31
Greetings all.

I have updated our Terms and Conditions. The changes reflect the minimum age required to join our forum and how this condition is outlined. Since COPPA does not apply to our UK hosted web site, I have simply included the below.

Age Restriction

4.1 - We do not accept registrations from individuals under the age of 13. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Thanks!

Apathetic
18-01-12, 03:33
I thought that was already the rule.

tlr online
18-01-12, 03:36
I thought that was already the rule.

It was, how the condition is described is the only thing that has changed. :wve:

Alpharaider47
18-01-12, 05:13
I have updated our Terms and Conditions.

Ohh, you got my hopes up for a second there...

Atlantisfreak
18-01-12, 07:28

for what? :p

TRLegendLuver
18-01-12, 07:33

Mine too. :pi:

Alpharaider47
18-01-12, 08:12
for what? :p

I believe Esconder can elaborate on my critiques of the T&A(C) ;)

tomekkobialka
18-01-12, 17:15
Awww! :( I really liked the 'Children Protection Act' version...oh well. :rolleyes:

I believe Esconder can elaborate on my critiques of the T&A ;)

Like what? :pi: :D

lararoxs
18-01-12, 19:43
I believe Esconder can elaborate on my critiques of the T&A ;)

Why must you be so awkward Chaz! :mad:

:D:hug:

Legend of Lara
18-01-12, 20:06
T&A

Not sure if intentional.

jackles
18-01-12, 20:31
Not sure if intentional.

Or a freudian slip maybe.....;)

TRLegendLuver
18-01-12, 22:25

He's not being awkward; He's being awesome. :cool:

Greenapple968
18-01-12, 22:46
And there I was hoping the restriction had been reduced, resulting in the return of Yupitsme.

Alpharaider47
18-01-12, 23:37
Like what? :pi: :D

Esconder and I, through PM (oops, I might be breaking the outdated T&C right now! D: ) had a discussion on censor circumvention and the words that are and are not censored. I found it quite interesting that bitch is not censored, but arguably lesser words, such as synonyms for fecal matter are blocked. And also, I expressed frustration with the notion that self censoring a word like **** was grounds for a warning. Since everybody knows what the word is anyways, and it's not as if I'm calling someone a whore, which I believe many would argue is much worse.

I enjoy being infuriating :p
Not sure if intentional.
Always intentional. Never doubt that.

There should have been a C in parenthesis though.

He's not being awkward; He's being awesome. :cool:
Damn straight :cool: Although awkwardly awesome works for me as well.

TRULuverzz
18-01-12, 23:57

and mine too, I was expecting Newer T&C's, oh well. :p

Ward Dragon
19-01-12, 12:04
Esconder and I, through PM (oops, I might be breaking the outdated T&C right now! D: ) had a discussion on censor circumvention and the words that are and are not censored. I found it quite interesting that bitch is not censored, but arguably lesser words, such as synonyms for fecal matter are blocked. And also, I expressed frustration with the notion that self censoring a word like **** was grounds for a warning. Since everybody knows what the word is anyways, and it's not as if I'm calling someone a whore, which I believe many would argue is much worse.

Sorry but rules are rules XD Partially censoring a word is censor circumvention because it bypasses the forum censor. It's obvious what the word is anyway for anyone who regularly curses, so there's no need to bother with censor circumvention to get your point across.

Regarding the PM thing, I guess you could summarize in general what you have said (as you've done here) but it is against the rules to post someone else's PM or reveal anything they said in private. I doubt there was anything confidential in a PM about censor circumvention :p But the rules need to be applied consistently to everything else people will get confused about when the rules apply.

And with the censor list, I guess blame public TV :p At least that's how I see it. "Bitch" is totally fine as far as early evening TV goes (I've certainly heard it used a lot on The Simpsons for example). However the other words would be censored if they appeared on public TV. That's my justification for supporting the current censor list, although other moderators might have different reasons.

EscondeR
19-01-12, 12:35
...And also, I expressed frustration with the notion that self censoring a word like **** was grounds for a warning. Since everybody knows what the word is anyways, and it's not as if I'm calling someone a whore, which I believe many would argue is much worse.

Well... If you want to kick a dead horse a bit more, then at least be honest - incomplete "self-censoring" is considered censor circumvention. Exactly what you were told about (and exactly what Jenni mentioned).

OK, I'll let that reposting of private talk slip w/o consequences... this time :p

LOL @ T&A Definitely freudian :tea:

Draco
19-01-12, 14:43
The list of what is and is not censored is rather odd to me.

Quasimodo
19-01-12, 18:34
The list of what is and is not censored is rather odd to me.

I know. How are you supposed to talk about prickly pears or how Aurora pricked her finger on a spindle (actually, it was a distaff) in Sleeping Beauty?

Edit: Holy carp! It changed!

jackles
19-01-12, 19:46
We revised the censor terms a while back. (though we did have some issues with some words having different meanings i.e piss has several meanings and in the uk telling someone to piss off can be regarded as offensive)

Alpharaider47
19-01-12, 22:15
Well... If you want to kick a dead horse a bit more, then at least be honest - incomplete "self-censoring" is considered censor circumvention. Exactly what you were told about (and exactly what Jenni mentioned).

OK, I'll let that reposting of private talk slip w/o consequences... this time :p

LOL @ T&A Definitely freudian :tea:

The horse hasn't decomposed yet :pi: I still believe I have a valid criticism.

Ward Dragon
19-01-12, 22:17
The horse hasn't decomposed yet :pi: I still believe I have a valid criticism.

Some people put the first letter of the censored word, other people spell out the word using symbols like $ and ! to get around the censor, and sooner or later there's no point to censoring anything because everyone types out the swear words anyway. It's simpler and easier for users to comply with if we simply don't allow any censor circumvention at all. That way there's no question about whether some types of circumvention are okay while others aren't.

Alpharaider47
19-01-12, 22:28
Some people put the first letter of the censored word, other people spell out the word using symbols like $ and ! to get around the censor, and sooner or later there's no point to censoring anything because everyone types out the swear words anyway. It's simpler and easier for users to comply with if we simply don't allow any censor circumvention at all. That way there's no question about whether some types of circumvention are okay while others aren't.

I was referring to the censored word list xD

EscondeR
20-01-12, 05:20
I was referring to the censored word list xD

Current edition of censor list was discussed among mods and accepted by the majority. I doubt any changes will be made in the nearest future, it is already as lenient as it was possible to make.

Spong
20-01-12, 05:23
I consider the word 'bollocks' to be just as offensive as the four-letter poop-related word, yet it isn't censored :confused:

EscondeR
20-01-12, 05:25
^ It was in previous edition. And personally I'd censor it in the new as well...

Apathetic
20-01-12, 05:25
I consider the word 'bollocks' to be just as offensive as the four-letter poop-related word, yet it isn't censored :confused:

You actually take offense to those words?

Spong
20-01-12, 05:27
^ It was in previous edition. And personally I'd censor it in the new as well...

It's been taken off the list? :eek:
I'm with you, can't see the logic behind that myself :confused:

You actually take offense to those words?

Knowing something is offensive and actually being offended are two different things. I should've clarified.

EscondeR
20-01-12, 05:30

If I recall that properly - yes.

Yup, just checked it, "bollocks" and "bollox" were voted for amnesty.

larafan25
20-01-12, 05:33

Knowing something is offensive and actually being offended are two different things. I should've clarified.

But do you agree with the people who do take offense?

Doesn't bollocks just mean balls?

Spong
20-01-12, 05:40
But do you agree with the people who do take offense?

No. Doesn't mean they're in the wrong to take offence though.

Doesn't bollocks just mean balls?

Yep, but it's a far more vulgar term.

larafan25
20-01-12, 05:43
Vulgur?

So...you take balls, testicles, any other word for those hangy sacks, and make it vulgur?

No matter how much I think about it I can't imagine someone taking offence to it.

I'm sure people do though. But it seems like one of those words which would pass by most the censors, unlike **** and ****.

EscondeR
20-01-12, 05:47
^ Well the difference between testicles and bollocks is right the same as between vagina and ****... But I'm probably shaking the air just like when trying to explain the difference between Classics and New-t ;)

Spong
20-01-12, 05:51
Vulgur?

No, vulgar ;)

So...you take balls, testicles, any other word for those hangy sacks, and make it vulgur?

I didn't make it a vulgar term, the definition says it's a vulgar term.

larafan25
20-01-12, 05:51
^Eye no.

^ Well the difference between testicles and bollocks is right the same as between vagina and ****... But I'm probably shaking the air just like when trying to explain the difference between Classics and New-t ;)

Well, no there is an actual physical difference between two types of games.

But the word vagina being technical, and **** just being...****. It seems with most of those words, they have only become synonyms when actually used to refer to such body parts, but they're used negatively when they're used to name-call.

So technically, most swear words make zero sense and actually just apply a a bit of exaggeration to the word they're replacing. It's when people begin calling each other names (using the words to insult each other) that it gets to become a negative thing.

EscondeR
20-01-12, 05:54
So technically some like to nitpick and troll... Prove otherwise - give me an example when a gynecologist said "****" when talking to a patient... and stayed alive :cln:

EscondeR
20-01-12, 06:27
4 posts deleted. Please keep the conversation appropriate for GC... especially considering that censor list is not going to change in the nearest future.

Apathetic
20-01-12, 06:31
What? My posts were less appropriate then the ones above? I would like this explained..

EscondeR
20-01-12, 06:35
Your post with the others deleted was taking the thread to the direction not appropriate for a generic section. Discussing censored words is difficult in the places where you can't fully express your POV due to certain limitations.

Next time use PM, if you don't understand some of the decisions, instead of taking the thread OT.

tomekkobialka
20-01-12, 17:06
Next time use PM, if you don't understand some of the decisions, instead of taking the thread OT.

What actually IS the topic of this thread? We now know that T&C 4.1 has been updated. Great. So now what? It's not like anything we post on this thread will do anything.

Or is this just a place to lodge complaints about the T&C? :confused: Or is it a discussion on whether bollocks and testicles are the same thing?