PDA

View Full Version : Megaupload shut down with immediate effect!

Dingaling
19-01-12, 19:58
Federal prosecutors in Virginia say they have shut down one of the world’s largest Internet file-sharing sites, Megaupload.com, and charged its founder and others with violating piracy laws.

Source (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/20/technology/indictment-charges-megaupload-site-with-piracy.html)

Megaupload has been shut down by US officials with immediate effect.

The site is one of the world's most popular file-sharing services, but has now been closed following allegations that its founder and several other executives were charged with violating a number of piracy laws.

The allegations state that Megaupload has cost copyright holders a loss of over $500 million (£320m) in revenue from pirated films and other media.

It appears that its spinoff sites including Megavideo and Megapix have also been shut down for the time being.

A statement posted on the FBI's website read: "This action is among the largest criminal copyright cases ever brought by the United States and directly targets the misuse of a public content storage and distribution site to commit and facilitate intellectual property crime."

Source (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a361102/megaupload-shut-down-by-us-officials.html)

Could other similar sites be shut down with immediate effect? Could Rapidshare, etc. all face similar cases? And what about even sites like YouTube or Photobucket? Site like Megaupload and Rapidshare allow users to upload files and that will include films, music, etc. but it also hosts other legitimate files. There could be quite scary ramifications if they manage to win the case.

Apathetic
19-01-12, 19:59
2012: War of the Internet

TRULuverzz
19-01-12, 20:03
Rapidshare.com <--- It's your turn next D:

Legend of Lara
19-01-12, 20:07
This is regrettable, but there are better file sharing sites out there.

...Mediafire isn't going to be around much longer, is it? ;_;

Eddie Haskell
19-01-12, 20:08
Rapidshare.com <--- It's your turn next D:

If that happens they better pay me back, I just bought another 2 years with them.

Phlip
This is regrettable, but there are better file sharing sites out there.

...Mediafire isn't going to be around much longer, is it? ;_;

I have **** I wanna keep on Mediafire. :(

larafan25
Oh my God no...:(

Spong
19-01-12, 20:12
Hope they take out Filesonic as well, that site is ****.

jonathanrij
19-01-12, 20:14
Well that sucks... I actually bought a 24 hour license there not even a week ago :p. Some site I used with retro magazine scans will now be useless for a while.

TRULuverzz
If they even decide to shut down beemp3.com or emp3world.com I'm going to break down and cry rivers :(

tomblover
The internet is going down fast, it seems! :vlol: Even without SOPA or PIPA...

Legend of Lara
19-01-12, 20:15
If they even decide to shut down beemp3.com or emp3world.com I'm going to break down and cry rivers :(

Oh, dear. I moved on from sites like those years ago. :p

And, if possible, I pay for my music. :'3

Phlip
19-01-12, 20:16
Some site I used with retro magazine scans will now be useless for a while.

If these scan zip files which are hosted by megaupload then why will it only be for a while?

jonathanrij
19-01-12, 20:16
^ Because they probably will be re-uploaded, just on a different site...

Underhoe
19-01-12, 20:17
This is terrible...**** just got serious.

TRULuverzz
19-01-12, 20:17
Oh, dear. I moved on from sites like those years ago. :p

And, if possible, I pay for my music. :'3

It's time I get an iPhone and start using iTunes :pi:

Legend of Lara
19-01-12, 20:19
It's time I get an iPhone and start using iTunes :pi:

I use iTunes, but I don't even have an iPod. :'D

maximum_123
19-01-12, 20:31
Lmao, I'm listening to the Megaupload song and reminiscing.

o0Wvn-9BXVc

p.s. Isn't it really ironic musicians endorsed this, or is that the joke? Idk.

NCFirebolt21
19-01-12, 20:35
Megaupload was the best site for unofficial stuff. I'm gonna miss it dearly. If there was one site that deserved to be shut down it would be filesonic/hotfile/sendspace. Download speed from them (stuff like XNA models) is horribly slow.

benjamin_2010
19-01-12, 20:39
I'm going to have to guess that Megaupload is an American-based website, since the FBI and such are shutting it down/investigating it.

Do other countries have such pervasive agencies? Do non-Americans get sick and tired of seeing the U.S. be such a rule maker and whatnot? Or just get sick of seeing American dominance all the time?

I'd get so annoyed if I wasn't from here. Just saying lol. It's not a good situation for anybody that this is happening. :x

jonathanrij
19-01-12, 20:41
So will Megaupload make sure every user gets their files and subscription fees back? It doesn't seem likely, does it? It's obviously not fair to the users who didn't violate any copyrights. They might've lost very important files now :o.

Cochrane
19-01-12, 20:48
I wonder: Does the FBI really have the authority to do that, or did they just try to look as scary as possible and told Megaupload's ISPs to drop them?

There can be no denying that Megaupload makes it very easy for people to access copyrighted content, and makes it rather difficult for rights holders to find out about this. But as long as they take down offending material when they are made aware of it, there isn't anything illegal I can see about their operations.

Spong
19-01-12, 20:48
I'm going to have to guess that Megaupload is an American-based website, since the FBI and such are shutting it down/investigating it.

Nope. Apparently Megaupload is based in China and the four people arrested so far live in New Zealand, though more people are on the wanted the wanted list (from the Netherlands, Estonia, Germany and Slovakia).

Scurvy
19-01-12, 20:50
It's stupid to say that big torrent websites haven't been took down yet due to the same copyright reasons but it could do soon i guess :p

Legend of Lara
19-01-12, 20:51
There is one specific torrent website that I would seriously stop functioning without. I do not want it to go away. ;_;

It's not Pirate Bay. I hardly ever use that.

NRO.
19-01-12, 20:52
Damnit! Most of the XnaLara models are hosted there. >_>

Spong
19-01-12, 20:53

Not any more they're not :p

larafan25
19-01-12, 20:53

I didn't even think about that.

HUNDREDS...

of them...

NCFirebolt21
19-01-12, 20:55
^ Which is why I put a suggestion on the object recap thread to use mirrorcreator, that way if megaupload goes down, the link to the same mod on a different site is active.

patriots88888
19-01-12, 20:56
There can be no denying that Megaupload makes it very easy for people to access copyrighted content, and makes it rather difficult for rights holders to find out about this. But as long as they take down offending material when they are made aware of it, there isn't anything illegal I can see about their operations.

Agreed. Only if they were repeatedly told to remove such material but refused to do so would there be any need to go to this extreme. Even still, if that is the case here, they can always claim ignorance to the fact (some filenames can be cleverly disguised). So I'm not sure how any site can adequately police this type of thing and prevent this from happening. :/

Sir Croft
19-01-12, 20:59
Proof we don't need SOPA?

Alpharaider47
19-01-12, 21:13
Where there's a will, there's a way. You can take out one file sharing site, but sooner or later another will step in to fill the gap.

Just like with hackers and Somalian "pirates".

Ward Dragon
19-01-12, 21:22
Proof we don't need SOPA?

That was the first thing I thought when I heard the news. If the FBI can already do this, then there's surely no need for further power to censor sites.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
19-01-12, 21:24
I guess Dropbox is in trouble too eh?

lord gaga
19-01-12, 21:26
Aww i never really used it that much anyway :)

Atlantisfreak
19-01-12, 21:39
I guess Dropbox is in trouble too eh?

I hope not, we use that for school work :S

Caesum
19-01-12, 21:44
If it's going to be like this, there's no really safe place on the internet to keep backup files.

Oh God, and it'll take ages 'till I download all my stuff from mediafire.com and box.net. DDD:

ggctuk
19-01-12, 21:55
Anonymous has responded:

http://rt.com/usa/news/anonymous-doj-universal-sopa-235/

Legend of Lara
19-01-12, 21:55
Any old internet tough guy can call himself Anonymous and come across as threatening.

voltz
19-01-12, 22:04
Anonymous has responded:

http://rt.com/usa/news/anonymous-doj-universal-sopa-235/

Shutting down sites only goes so far. Long as members of RIAA/MPAA or other like-minded corporations stay in operation, they're going to continue attacking our freedoms until 1985 becomes a reality. We need to press the offense against these bastards and put them out of commission before they turn the states into part of their communist ideology.

Summer B
19-01-12, 22:08
Could other similar sites be shut down with immediate effect? Could Rapidshare, etc. all face similar cases? And what about even sites like YouTube or Photobucket? Site like Megaupload and Rapidshare allow users to upload files and that will include films, music, etc. but it also hosts other legitimate files. There could be quite scary ramifications if they manage to win the case.

Ppl will find other ways to share files, itll just be more underground.

Spong
19-01-12, 22:20
I think people are missing the fact that MU has been shut down while an investigation is carried out into the allegations, this isn't the action of a court-made judgement after some trial, the closure isn't for good. It may well come to pass that the site returns. Probably won't though :p

Ward Dragon
19-01-12, 22:34
Shutting down sites only goes so far. Long as members of RIAA/MPAA or other like-minded corporations stay in operation, they're going to continue attacking our freedoms until 1985 becomes a reality. We need to press the offense against these bastards and put them out of commission before they turn the states into part of their communist ideology.

1984 :pi: And yeah, I think one of the reasons the RIAA/MPAA are so intent on censoring the internet is because the internet allows talented new artists to get their work out without the need for the RIAA/MPAA to help them (which means the RIAA/MPAA aren't able to extort tons of money from those artists). The RIAA/MPAA are going to continue to push for legislation to block fair use and eliminate their competition for as long as they exist, but hopefully the RIAA/MPAA will lose some of their power as artists are able to distribute and sell their own work.

patriots88888
19-01-12, 22:36
1984 :pi: And yeah, I think one of the reasons the RIAA/MPAA are so intent on censoring the internet is because the internet allows talented new artists to get their work out without the need for the RIAA/MPAA to help them (which means the RIAA/MPAA aren't able to extort tons of money from those artists). The RIAA/MPAA are going to continue to push for legislation to block fair use and eliminate their competition for as long as they exist, but hopefully the RIAA/MPAA will lose some of their power as artists are able to distribute and sell their own work.

I suspect Vimeo must be at or near the top of their 'most wanted' list.

TRULuverzz
19-01-12, 23:02
I feel like somehow Chris Crocker should've uploaded a new video called "LEAVE THE INTERNET ALONE!"

Apathetic
19-01-12, 23:15
This is all about money, greedy corporations are to blame.

Spong
19-01-12, 23:19
This is all about money, greedy corporations are to blame.

And people illegally sharing media that they probably never paid for in the first place. Don't forget them ;)

Ward Dragon
19-01-12, 23:32
And people illegally sharing media that they probably never paid for in the first place. Don't forget them ;)

Granted that dedicated pirates will probably never buy the material regardless of how easy it is to legally obtain, but I think a lot of "casual piracy" like watching shows on Megavideo is due to the media companies being so reluctant to branch out into the online market.

Once there are legal options available for people to use, like Hulu or Pandora for steaming TV shows and music, people start using that instead of trying to find the material illegally. The companies just need to take advantage of that and profit from it instead of trying to shut down online media sources.

voltz
19-01-12, 23:37
Right now, they're trying to push people into buying series on DVD for $40-60+ per season. It's likely they want to ensure video sites don't interfere with their profits. It would also explain why this and the turn against SOPA/PIPA lead to megaupload's snap decision in being brought down when it could have been taken down anytime beforehand.

Spong
19-01-12, 23:39
Granted that dedicated pirates will probably never buy the material regardless of how easy it is to legally obtain, but I think a lot of "casual piracy" like watching shows on Megavideo is due to the media companies being so reluctant to branch out into the online market.

Once there are legal options available for people to use, like Hulu or Pandora for steaming TV shows and music, people start using that instead of trying to find the material illegally. The companies just need to take advantage of that and profit from it instead of trying to shut down online media sources.

I see what you're saying, and largely agree. But for myself, despite the wealth of TV on-demand available to us online, I still download shows via torrent sites after they've aired. Most of the time they're a much better quality than the official streaming sites, certainly when it comes to HD content. In that respect, suppliers need to up their game and provide the equivalent quality.

xcrushterx
19-01-12, 23:40

Piracy isn't all bad, though. LOTS of people are introduced to new media that they later go out and buy through piracy, many TV shows and artists I'm a fan of (and have since supported by buying their stuff) I wouldn't have found without it. Obviously there are people who don't pay for it at all, but you'll find that in most of those cases, the person would never have paid the money for it to begin with, so little money is actually being "lost".

Larapink
19-01-12, 23:46
I use sites like Megaupload to send my artwork and 3D files to my teachers for uni coursework deadlines via email. How else will I be able to send my work to them to mark, it's ridiculous that we are all getting punished for law breakers. This is going steps back from technology if it keeps going the way it's going to end up like we are all going to have to start using carrier pigeons again. :( I'm getting worried if these greedy corporates don't look at the entire picture not everyone uses the internet for piracy. :cen: Sopa & Pipa!

TRL2009
19-01-12, 23:51
Its Ok With me I pretty much have everything i need to download illegally already x)

Ward Dragon
19-01-12, 23:58
In that respect, suppliers need to up their game and provide the equivalent quality.

Exactly. The most effective way to fight piracy is to make the legal version better. For example with PC games, Steam offers a lot of extra features (automatic patching, built-in chat system, achievements for the games that support it, etc.) and Good Old Games offers older games completely DRM-free and fully patched to make them compatible with modern PC's. So in these cases, buying the games legally provides more value.

Legal sites for TV shows and music are catching up. Hulu videos are pretty sharp and I'm only watching the 480p version (HD requires a subscription, but my internet isn't fast enough to handle streaming HD videos anyway :p). And Pandora's method of finding similar songs and trying to tailor itself to the listener's taste is very interesting and definitely provides extra value to make it worth using.

t-raider26
20-01-12, 00:03
What concerns me the most is that Megavideo is shut down. That's what made Megaupload so unique; the fact that you can stream the videos upload on the same site. Unless Rapidshare or whatever introduces a similar feature, it won't be the same.

Eros5th
20-01-12, 00:18
Ay Dios mio!!

Spong
20-01-12, 00:19
Piracy isn't all bad, though. LOTS of people are introduced to new media that they later go out and buy through piracy...

Agreed, there's that side too. I'm the same with the TV shows I download. To me they're merely 'place holders', something to keep me happy while I wait for the box set to be released.

MiCkiZ88
20-01-12, 00:20
I'm against hacking, but anonymous can **** the government sites as much as they can for this. That site was used for sharing things with friends or communities like the xna lara.

If SOPA/PIPA pass.. then its going to be even worse. ****ing hell. 2012 might just be the death of internet if it spreads.

They should shut down schools as well for showing movies and playing music.

ajrich17901
20-01-12, 00:27
Still say its gonna be the People VS the Government soon and its not gonna be pretty. 2012 is gonna be an interesting year indeed.

MiCkiZ88
20-01-12, 00:34
Bwahaha. UMG, FBI, RIAA and justice.gov are down :D

Shark_Blade
20-01-12, 00:36
That site and several other file sharing sites were already banned in my country. Yay for freedom. :rolleyes:

voltz
20-01-12, 00:36
Bwahaha. UMG, FBI, RIAA and justice.gov are down :D

That still ain't good enough.

ajrich17901
20-01-12, 00:39
That still ain't good enough.

Not really no, I wanna see the Government get hurt bad.

MiCkiZ88
20-01-12, 00:46
You know what's fun.. a lot of big media companies are actually against all of this internet police crap. The media here stated their minds about how it will take your freedom away.

Lenochka
20-01-12, 01:17
I'm actually rather shocked MU was the one to be targeted. They had videos of celebs like P.Diddy, Kanye, Kim K and many others talking about how they loved the site and used it regularly. Obviously people in the entertainment industry who would be affected by piracy aren't too bothered, so why are they even doing this?

MiCkiZ88
20-01-12, 01:22
Love your avatar, but you can be sued for it ;)

And they are doing it to try to scare people.

trlestew
20-01-12, 02:15
My heart jumped after reading the title of this thread.
Megaupload was pretty bad when it came to obeying DMCA laws, but it was a good file hosting site for legal files...

xMiSsCrOfTx
20-01-12, 02:21
SOPA is really what the Mayans were talking about

Scorpio1991
20-01-12, 02:31
You know that whole law about seperation of church and state, I think we need that. Kinda thing for the internet.

AmericanAssassin
20-01-12, 03:24
No more megaupload? *dead* :(

tombfan91
20-01-12, 03:51
No more megaupload? *dead* :(

^ This says it all

Apathetic
20-01-12, 03:58
I do actually use Megaupload for a lot of my music. :/

innocentvenus
20-01-12, 04:14
Megaupload is actually back up now, just under a different URL.

Spong
20-01-12, 04:30

And that url is?

scoopy_loopy
20-01-12, 04:47

It's not. If you're referring to the one ending in .bz, it's a trap laid by Anon to get others to unwittingly assist with their attacks.

Apathetic
20-01-12, 05:23
It's not. If you're referring to the one ending in .bz, it's a trap laid by Anon to get others to unwittingly assist with their attacks.

I don't get it?

Vinkula
20-01-12, 05:33
Megaupload was my site to download episodes of Haven and Star Trek: Voyager ;__;
NOOOOOOOOO.

tomee
20-01-12, 07:25

Do other countries have such pervasive agencies? Do non-Americans get sick and tired of seeing the U.S. be such a rule maker and whatnot? Or just get sick of seeing American dominance all the time?

I'd get so annoyed if I wasn't from here. Just saying lol. It's not a good situation for anybody that this is happening. :x
I think americans themselves are angry. And basically everyone who is involved in the English speaking internet
I feel like somehow Chris Crocker should've uploaded a new video called "LEAVE THE INTERNET ALONE!"

yup.

Zelda master
20-01-12, 07:42
You guys seriously want a: LEAVE THE INTERNET ALOOOOoooOOOooooOOooooNE!!! Video!? :p

robm_2007
20-01-12, 07:51
You know that whole law about seperation of church and state, I think we need that. Kinda thing for the internet.
I agree but let's not stop there, let's just get rid of free speech on the web, altogether.
Love your avatar, but you can be sued for it ;)

Whose avatar and why?
---
I never went to any of the targeted sites, anyways :toe nails:

Rosaly
20-01-12, 08:05
SOPA and PIPA are destroying the internet!!!!!!
I HATE SOPA!!!!!!!

Liara
20-01-12, 08:10
Now I don't believe in the whole apocalypse crap, but I do find it a little ominous that this stuff in taking place in 2012... :pi:

I don't know why, but this made me laugh my ass off. :vlol:

tampi
20-01-12, 08:19
Laws will kill all glimmer of freedom.

The apocalypse?
Imagine suddenly one day without internet. Everyone looking at their blackberry, their phones, their computers. No communication. No information. All closed and gone. :p

Zelda master
20-01-12, 08:20
Whose avatar and why?

Not sure who's avatar, but any image not made by you. The person who made it can sue you for it if you use it without permission...

Spong
20-01-12, 08:26
Just a quick C&P of someone's comments from another forum...

You should all be concerned with how the US (without SOPA) has managed to get seven foreign Governments to carry out raids on their own citizens, confiscate property and arrest their own people based on US law.

I'm no legal eagle, but I've been wondering about that very point too :pi:

Zelda master
20-01-12, 08:29
The people in the US think they can do anything, and apparently people tend to agree... Pathetic if you ask me...

tampi
20-01-12, 08:34
For states there are no laws. They are "lords and masters" of everything. If you you misbehave, they give you "stick syrup." No one can judge the state entity.

The point is that in a few years, any resemblance with current Internet will be a fiction.

Zelda master
20-01-12, 08:41
Current internet will never become entirely fictional, there will always be work arounds unless they would rebuild the internet from scratch wich will not happen. I am afraid thought that the web will not become as casual as it is though, it will become something more perserved for the more serious user. Which is sad :(

lcroft_lc
20-01-12, 09:20
2012: War of the Internet

So that's how the world is going to end. Aftermath of War of the Internet. :p

moodydog
20-01-12, 11:04
Please could someone correct me if this is completely wrong... if the major sites start to be taken down... would this happen??

Before Bill and sites up...

http://i41.************/5zmz9i.jpg

After Bill and sites down...

http://i39.************/316lwea.jpg

The lines represent website sharing between countries. Yes its wrong, completely inaccurate and probably missed out loads of countries that have the internet... but you can get my drift. Would it more effect the west than the rest of the world? Don't me wrong, it is still bad... since youtube, facebook and most of the popular sites come from America. But in terms of file downloading sites... If they are set up in europe... and do not enter the US... they would still be OK right?

EDIT

Arggh, Its disgusting how the American government think they can tread the rest of the world as it's puppet.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2012-01-19/megaupload-feds-shutdown/52678528/1

Megaupload is based in Hong Kong, but some of the alleged pirated content was hosted on leased servers in Ashburn, Va., which gave federal authorities jurisdiction, the indictment said.
The Justice Department said in a statement said that Kim Dotcom, 37, and three other employees were arrested Thursday in New Zealand at the request of U.S. officials. Three other defendants are at large.

TR FAN 18
20-01-12, 11:16
And just how is shutting down Megaupload going to help? Won't the files just get uploaded elsewhere? :rolleyes:

interstellardave
20-01-12, 11:56
Exactly. The most effective way to fight piracy is to make the legal version better. For example with PC games, Steam offers a lot of extra features (automatic patching, built-in chat system, achievements for the games that support it, etc.) and Good Old Games offers older games completely DRM-free and fully patched to make them compatible with modern PC's. So in these cases, buying the games legally provides more value.

Legal sites for TV shows and music are catching up. Hulu videos are pretty sharp and I'm only watching the 480p version (HD requires a subscription, but my internet isn't fast enough to handle streaming HD videos anyway :p). And Pandora's method of finding similar songs and trying to tailor itself to the listener's taste is very interesting and definitely provides extra value to make it worth using.

Definitely agree. I am always more than a little surprised at the reactions on this forum to news like this. I realize that the governments & corporations tend to go too far in reaction to piracy but I think a little honest self-assessment should reveal that a whole hell of a lot of regular people have perhaps gone too far in thinking that they can just take and take and take things off the net w/o any compensation made to the rights holders and creators of the content.

I am first in line to oppose even the hint of governments overstepping their bounds but the internet can't just be a lawless "wild west" environment either. That's where, as you say, legal methods of obtaining media should be better. Even I, who have just said we need to assess ourselves and our use of the internet, have also downloaded some material that I did not pay for. It was, however, material that I literally could not find anywhere for sale anymore. Does that make it right? I suppose not, if am to be honest with myself.

There is a lot of music and television programming that is not available for legal sale--and hasn't been for decades, if ever. I would more than gladly pay for it. At a certain point, however, if you really want something that isn't out there for sale, the temptation to get it from someone who is sharing it takes over. You can hardly feel like you're stealing something if it isn't being made available any other way.

I can think of numerous things that I would buy--especially old tv shows that are not out on dvd. There are people who record and burn them to dvd and sell them but, of course, that's not really legal. How hard would it be for networks to make these shows available online for download? In this day and age I can't believe it would be hard. Same with back-catalog music... these companies could easily make honest people out of most of us who aren't really bad apples but who have a desire to obtain that which is no longer in the stores (or never was).

Those who burn and share current music, shows, movies, games, etc., that are all available for sale, however... well they are the ones who create the "wild west" atmosphere that inevitably leads to a over-reactive clamp-down by authorities. We shouldn't be too surprised.

NRO.
20-01-12, 12:03
Ppl will find other ways to share files, itll just be more underground.

I'll pass you a picture of a bunny in a shady alleyway.

MiCkiZ88
20-01-12, 12:06
I agree but let's not stop there, let's just get rid of free speech on the web, altogether.

Whose avatar and why?
---

Anything that you have not created yourself because in the end its an copyrighted image that you are using and sharing on the web without permission.

I find it pathetic that the states can arrest people world wide even if they've not committed a crime on their native soil.

moodydog
20-01-12, 12:20
funny when it comes down to it... we ALL collectively download for a variety of reasons. Yet, should we have more money as individuals, I don't think there would be much of a change in our values.
I for one, actually prefer to buy as I like having complete ownership of what I am playing (If I value the game as one that I MUST play). Things like Autodesk and Photoshop come at a ridiculous price, and I completely understand why people choose to download them. When I earns more, I will sure buy them as for the reasons stated above, they are necessities for me and I would want to feel some ownership in the programs I use.

Vinkula
20-01-12, 12:24
I soon find FBI officers behind my door. I was a bada** and downloaded an album today :O

digitizedboy
20-01-12, 14:09
If that happens they better pay me back, I just bought another 2 years with them.

If it did happen I doubt you would get your money back.

MiCkiZ88
20-01-12, 14:16
funny when it comes down to it... we ALL collectively download for a variety of reasons. Yet, should we have more money as individuals, I don't think there would be much of a change in our values.
I for one, actually prefer to buy as I like having complete ownership of what I am playing (If I value the game as one that I MUST play). Things like Autodesk and Photoshop come at a ridiculous price, and I completely understand why people choose to download them. When I earns more, I will sure buy them as for the reasons stated above, they are necessities for me and I would want to feel some ownership in the programs I use.
I buy games, movies and music if I have the money. Sometimes a demo isn't enough of a try out though and I understand people who try the games first by downloading them from a sharing site, then buying it to support the company who made it. And companies like EA or Activision are really pushing it lately with the pricing of their games.

But as I said earlier, if sharing copyrighted material is really that bad, then they should shut down schools, offices, even game companies for the same reasons and jail all the teachers for sharing movies, pictures and music in class.

Makes perfect sense for the reasons FBI shut down the site and arrested people.

Eddie Haskell
20-01-12, 15:50
If it did happen I doubt you would get your money back.

Yep, it happened to me before with an older one (can't remember the name) that buckled under. I use Rapidshare to hold a lot of ye olde computer stuff. But all of it is backed up on external drives and DVD's as well. If they go down and I lose my dough well, I guess that's how it goes. And then I'll find another place to store my stuff online.

And by the way, I never download illegally.

interstellardave
20-01-12, 16:09
But as I said earlier, if sharing copyrighted material is really that bad, then they should shut down schools, offices, even game companies for the same reasons and jail all the teachers for sharing movies, pictures and music in class.

Sharing, as in viewing or listening to something together in a classroom, or anywhere else, is quite a different thing from file-sharing online. File-sharing is essentially free distribution of property. If I buy a cd then burn copies and sell them, that's illegal. If I rip the cd and "share" it online then that's illegal as well because people that download it then own it. But I can, of course, buy a cd and have people over to listen to it... even in a classroom (assuming the school approves, I guess).

tomblover
20-01-12, 16:12
MegaUpload is back up, but not like before. :p I suppose linking to it is prohibited since the whole site is classed as contraband now. :vlol:

EDIT: Oh, nevermind.... that was apparently some kinda scam. :o

moodydog
20-01-12, 16:14
I buy games, movies and music if I have the money. Sometimes a demo isn't enough of a try out though and I understand people who try the games first by downloading them from a sharing site, then buying it to support the company who made it. And companies like EA or Activision are really pushing it lately with the pricing of their games.

Lol I can't imagine that in a million years :p Get the school police raiding the school and ease dropping in on classroom activities. Whats next, you can't sing copyrighted songs?

MiCkiZ88
20-01-12, 16:29
Sharing, as in viewing or listening to something together in a classroom, or anywhere else, is quite a different thing from file-sharing online. File-sharing is essentially free distribution of property. If I buy a cd then burn copies and sell them, that's illegal. If I rip the cd and "share" it online then that's illegal as well because people that download it then own it. But I can, of course, buy a cd and have people over to listen to it... even in a classroom (assuming the school approves, I guess).
Have you ever checked the copyright things in DVD's and Cd's? It clearly states that publicly showing (even in class room) that material is illegal. Just like lending a game/CD/movie is illegal. :p
Lol I can't imagine that in a million years :p Get the school police raiding the school and ease dropping in on classroom activities. Whats next, you can't sing copyrighted songs?
Actually.. some youtube singers have faced problems and even deletion for singing certain songs.

interstellardave
20-01-12, 16:42
Have you ever checked the copyright things in DVD's and Cd's? It clearly states that publicly showing (even in class room) that material is illegal. Just like lending a game/CD/movie is illegal. :p

Actually.. some youtube singers have faced problems and even deletion for singing certain songs.

Yeah, it's probably one of those "letter of the law" vrs "spirit of the law" type things. They won't arrest a teacher for showing a movie, for instance, any more than they'd bust into my house if I had friends over to watch a movie... if they go that far then we're in a full-on police state!

There's probably some justification for that legal wording but it's for situations that really never come up.... like if a television station broadcast a movie/played music without having the rights to do so.

MiCkiZ88
20-01-12, 16:45
Yeah, it's probably one of those "letter of the law" vrs "spirit of the law" type things. They won't arrest a teacher for showing a movie, for instance, any more than they'd bust into my house if I had friends over to watch a movie... if they go that far then we're in a full-on police state!

There's probably some justification for that legal wording but it's for situations that really never come up.... like if a television station broadcast a movie/played music without having the rights to do so.
I know. I was just putting an example of how bad things could turn if the government really started monitoring everything. But again, I wonder how the hell is it possible that the states managed to arrest people abroad for working for Megaupload. Should they arrest the celebrities who sang along for the MegaUpload song and thus promoted it?

interstellardave
20-01-12, 17:01
Well they shut down the site, in the meantime, but the court case is upcoming. The results from that--and reaction to it--will be interesting to see. The courts have protected videogames from those who wish to censor them and limit their availability, so they might just surprise us.

They'll still have to tackle the illegal use of sites like megaupload. That's how I see it: these sites are not illegal, per se, but they can easily be used for illegal purposes.

moodydog
20-01-12, 17:11

:vlol: - I should be annoyed. But seriously :eek: That's pathetic. These people need a wack on the head... maybe it will make them a bit brighter.

http://www.gifs.net/Animation11/Geography_and_History/Cavemen/Cave_ax.gif

ClassicCroft
20-01-12, 23:21
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO They can,t stop MEGAUPLOAD =(((((((

Legend of Lara
20-01-12, 23:22
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO They can,t stop MEGAUPLOAD =(((((((

They already did, girl. ;D

ClassicCroft
20-01-12, 23:35
They already did, girl. ;D

Whyyyyyyy :cen::( . I loved it, i used it verry much. -.-

Trinity34
20-01-12, 23:50
I could have sworn I read that the site was shut down because it refused to take down the illegal files after being asked to do so. Now how is that the governments fault? The owners of the site are being idiots. I hope they know where to hide. :)

Mikky
21-01-12, 00:08
Yeah, my brother was just telling me about this. No more downloading Pokemon episodes for him. :p

voltz
21-01-12, 01:53
Yeah, my brother was just telling me about this. No more downloading Pokemon episodes for him. :p

That actually sounds like a good thing.

Scorpio1991
21-01-12, 01:57

Why? :(

voltz
21-01-12, 02:08
Cause he's a (CENSORED), that's why.

*By censored, I don't mean that I'm referring to those nations in a far east.

Mikky
21-01-12, 02:11
That actually sounds like a good thing.

Oh, trust me, it isn't. Now I'm just gonna have to hear him moan 24/7 about how he can't find a good site to download them and how frustrated he is. Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeat. T_T

Then again, if you're talking about how much the Pokemon series sucks, then I completely agree with you. :tmb:

voltz
21-01-12, 02:17
Well if I helps, just get him one of those bouncy nerf balls from Toys R Us and let him play out in the street with it. It'll keep him busy for awhile. ;)

Ward Dragon
21-01-12, 18:38
Yep, it happened to me before with an older one (can't remember the name) that buckled under. I use Rapidshare to hold a lot of ye olde computer stuff. But all of it is backed up on external drives and DVD's as well. If they go down and I lose my dough well, I guess that's how it goes. And then I'll find another place to store my stuff online.

And by the way, I never download illegally.

It sounds like the charges against Megaupload were more serious than simply being a file-sharing site. The description almost sounds like something the mafia would get charged with:

The five-count indictment, which alleges copyright infringement as well as conspiracy to commit money laundering and racketeering, described a site designed specifically to reward users who uploaded pirated content for sharing, and turned a blind eye to requests from copyright holders to remove copyright-protected files.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/government-takedown-megaupload-leads-fears/story?id=15408062

voltz
22-01-12, 00:44
It sounds like the charges against Megaupload were more serious than simply being a file-sharing site. The description almost sounds like something the mafia would get charged with:

Most of the site takedowns have involved some form of credit transaction which is absolutely illegal in most provisions with the system. File sharing is and isn't in a gray area, but this is where we can coin the term actual piracy.

Of course Virginia was mentioned before, so no sense on me repeating that. It's just the access root the feds needed to take this matter as an international offense.

Legend of Lara
22-01-12, 00:45
Oh, trust me, it isn't. Now I'm just gonna have to hear him moan 24/7 about how he can't find a good site to download them and how frustrated he is. Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeat. T_T

That's why you torrent, dear.

Ward Dragon
22-01-12, 00:51
Most of the site takedowns have involved some form of credit transaction which is absolutely illegal in most provisions with the system. File sharing is and isn't in a gray area, but this is where we can coin the term actual piracy.

I'm still not completely clear on this part since I never had a Megaupload account so I don't know their policies. Did the site pay people to upload pirated material and then refused to take that material down?

voltz
22-01-12, 00:57
They most likely did reward others for posting files. Only way to remove those is if the IP owner places a complaint, but then again MU has been pretty lenient even when it comes to files with a different name listed.

If you're making money off from unlicensed IP, then it is illegal. This goes both for the host and the uploader. If you signed into this program, seized records with any info can lead back to you as being responsible should they have interest in pressing charges.

Scorpio1991
22-01-12, 02:24
I didn't know that Megavideo was linked with Megaupload, it is shutdown as well :(

Legend of Lara
22-01-12, 02:25
I didn't know that Megavideo was linked with Megaupload, it is shutdown as well :(

I do believe the names, similar logos and designs were kind of obvious giveaways.

voltz
22-01-12, 02:34
They're all one and the same, only different departments to the same company. Just look for the word "MEGA".

Scorpio1991
22-01-12, 02:36
I do believe the names, similar logos and designs were kind of obvious giveaways.
Well, I've seen some sites where they had simlar logos and names, but they werent linked. So, I just assumed that they weren't.

tomekkobialka
22-01-12, 21:16
File sharing feature on Filesonic has been shut down!

Looks like this is indeed the beginning of the end of the internet. :pi: or piracy

ggctuk
22-01-12, 21:34

Looks like this is indeed the beginning of the end of the internet. :pi: or piracy

MultiUpload has also shut down its main filesharing servers too, instead linking to others.

They'll never stop piracy, it's just too strong a force. They're targeting filesharing sites while torrent sites are still thriving.

As of now:

Megaupload: Closed
MultiUpload: Suspended main filesharing. Still linked to other filesharing sites.
Fileserve: Deleting multiple files. Closed affiliate program.
FileJungle: (Owned by Fileserve) Deleting multiple files. Testing out blocking some USA IP addresses.
Upload Station: (Owned by Fileserve) Deleting multiple files. Testing out blocking some USA IP addresses.
FileSonic: (Owned by Fileserve) Turned into a personal file storage host (no more sharing files)
uploaded.to: Banned USA IP addresses.
FilePost.com: Started suspending accounts with infringing material (doing what Hotfile did)

Mikky
22-01-12, 21:39
All this talk of sites shutting down... :pi:

*quickly checks sites*

4shared and 2shared are still up. Phew!

Gladous
22-01-12, 21:41
MediaFire still better survive! :pi:

maximum_123
22-01-12, 21:41
MediaFire still better survive! :pi:

Right? It's the best of all of them. It's my baby, it better not close.

Gladous
22-01-12, 21:43
Right? It's the best of all of them. It's my baby, it better not close.

It's my pride and joy! ;____;

voltz
22-01-12, 21:48
Any luck using proxy servers with uploaded?

maximum_123
22-01-12, 22:08
Any luck using proxy servers with uploaded?

Wouldn't that defeat any point though, seeing as proxies are usually terribly slow?

Most commercial proxies are probably based in the US too, anyway.

Jami393
23-01-12, 07:16
Well there goes my Megaupload account.

Lara's home
23-01-12, 09:37
Yeah, **** you USA.
http://i42.************/2ai0rt.jpg

Spong
23-01-12, 09:46
^What's that link supposed to be? It just opens some website :confused:

Good riddance to bad rubbish :wve:

Lara's home
23-01-12, 09:59
^What's that link supposed to be? It just opens some website :confused:

Good riddance to bad rubbish :wve:

Odd. It opens a picture for me. Well, should be fixed nwo, anyway. :p

Liara
23-01-12, 13:23
http://i42.************/2ai0rt.jpg
I gotta admit, that was pretty good.

I'm pretty bummed that my account is gone, I had an entire Comic Con panel uploaded on it and have no copy... *headdesk* I'm a bit confused, though, since I heard that it wasn't SOPA who did this.

Legend of Lara
23-01-12, 13:44
I'm a bit confused, though, since I heard that it wasn't SOPA who did this.

The FBI shut it down amidst the chaos the SOPA protest blackout was causing.

By the way, SOPA is not an entity, but a bill. A bill that has now, more or less, been shelved.

Liara
23-01-12, 14:41
Oh, well now it makes sense, thanks Legend of Lara! And I did know that SOPA is a bill, but I guess writing properly today escapes me. :o

Saman
23-01-12, 19:08
This is made my day!

Dear RapidShare fans,
You posted some comments on our wall today regarding the shutdown of Megaupload. There is no reason to be concerned. We distinguish ourselves from services like Megaupload in many major issues and we aren’t threatened in any way. One of the main differences between RapidShare and Megaupload is that we never wanted to escape from the legal access of any administration. RapidShare AG was founded in Switzerland, was always based at the address cited in the imprint and was always managed with an authentic name without any anonymous intermediary companies. The drastic measures against Megaupload were obviously seen as necessary by the FBI because the situation was different there.
We wish you a great time with RapidShare!

Heckler
23-01-12, 21:28
One would think with all the advances in software technology and network programming they could sniff out pirated content on the internet and target the perpetrators distributing them, instead of targeting the main source and screw over innocent people who use these sites for personal storage purposes... Idiots...

If I rob a bank and hide the money in my apartment, would you arrest my landlord and close down the building for blindingly accommodating it? No, why should privacy invasion by officials be such a taboo on the internet then when it comes to justice?

Target the friggin' people who put this crap on these sites, they are the guilty ones after all...

Spong
24-01-12, 00:48
As a brief and amusing aside to the MU story, this popped up on Eurogamer earlier this evening...

Megaupload founder among world's top Modern Warfare 3 players

The founder of Megaupload - the file sharing site shut down last week by the US government - is one of the world's top Modern Warfare 3 players. A YouTube clip posted by Kim Schmitz (aka Kim Dotcom), date 31st December, shows the moment when he took the top spot on Modern Warfare 3's leaderboards for recorded kills. He also held the Free-For-All crown at one point too. Take a look below.

The clip's description boasted that he has racked up over 150,000 kills in the game. Seeing as Schmitz is currently locked up in a New Zealand jail awaiting a bail hearing, both spots are probably up for grabs.

According to Bloomberg, police had to cut the 38-year-old out of a safe room when they raided his Auckland mansion last week, where he was hiding with what appeared to be a sawed-off shotgun.

The US government claims that the site has earned $175 million in "illegal profits" through advertising revenue and premium memberships, with the damage done to copyright holders estimated at "well in excess of $500 million".

The site's two founders (Schmitz and Mathias Ortmann) and two other employees have been charged with violating piracy laws. Three other accused are still at large.

l-ltcCF_cAQ

From Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-23-megaupload-founder-among-worlds-top-modern-warfare-3-players)

Larapink
24-01-12, 01:04
I paid for a premium membership before, to download some uni work someone had sent me. I better be getting some sort of compensation and those who bought premium membership if the founder of Megaupload earned those millions illegally. :ohn:

Rapidshare you're next.

voltz
24-01-12, 02:25
Rapidshare you're next.

Depends if we have a link with any jurisdiction.

Now this guy was waiting with a sawed off shotgun... if you ask me, he should've paid a visit to the copyright pushers with that and made himself a hero,.

domino92
24-01-12, 04:18
Depends if we have a link with any jurisdiction.

Now this guy was waiting with a sawed off shotgun... if you ask me, he should've paid a visit to the copyright pushers with that and made himself a hero,.

That doesn't make him seem innocent at all...

Uzi master
24-01-12, 04:40
Well, what appeared to be a sawn-off shotgun, you know how the media will jump on anything they can get; for all we know it was an umbrella.

Ward Dragon
24-01-12, 11:54
Target the friggin' people who put this crap on these sites, they are the guilty ones after all...

According to the charges, the site owners intentionally paid people to upload specific DVD's to the site, and frequently downloaded copyrighted shows off the site themselves so they were clearly aware of what was going on. There was more to it than simply being the innocent owner of a file-sharing site.

Well, what appeared to be a sawn-off shotgun, you know how the media will jump on anything they can get; for all we know it was an umbrella.

One of the news stories said that two shotguns were confiscated during the arrest, so he probably did have a gun. If he didn't actually shoot at the police then I'd give him the benefit of the doubt that maybe he thought he was being robbed when he grabbed the gun.

williejam
15-02-12, 12:44
I paid for a premium membership before, to download some uni work someone had sent me. I better be getting some sort of compensation and those who bought premium membership if the founder of Megaupload earned those millions illegally. :ohn:

Rapidshare you're next.

:hea:. Yeah right and pigs can fly too; pretty sure you're not gonna get any kind of compensation from them. Nor will the other people who paid for premium memberships and lost their very legitimate files.

Pretty much sucks but hey what can u do....

Zelda master
15-02-12, 14:06
This image fits this topic!

http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/2655964_460s.jpg

Legend of Lara
15-02-12, 14:33

Been there. So many times. >:

Jester Head
15-02-12, 14:56
Enjoy half of the world's collection of Visual Novels disappearing.

williejam
16-02-12, 13:38

:D Good find:)))

Not that funny for some of the people who lost loads of their files I guess.

Oh well, looks like he's not going anywhere any time soon:

http://www.reuters.com/video/2012/02/16/dotcom-bail-denied?videoId=229586854&videoChannel=2602

Zelda master
16-02-12, 13:52
Well I lost quite a couple of files, thankfully nothing serious but still...

But it's bloody idiotic that he has to go to bail for that, in that case also youtube, facebook, rapidshare, etcetc should be removed from the air... Which they don't so it's bloody ridiculous...

ggctuk
16-02-12, 19:56
MultiUpload is also gone.

trfanX34
16-02-12, 20:45

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO D: *jumps off a cliff* For God's sake please don't shut down Mediafire now D:

Weemanply109
16-02-12, 20:54
Mediafire is the best of hosting sites, I hope it stays. :o

NRO.
17-02-12, 11:12

/wrists

Love2Raid
17-02-12, 13:34
It had better! >_<

ultima espio
17-02-12, 14:02
Not Mediafire noo :(

williejam
17-02-12, 14:22
Well I lost quite a couple of files, thankfully nothing serious but still...

But it's bloody idiotic that he has to go to bail for that, in that case also youtube, facebook, rapidshare, etcetc should be removed from the air... Which they don't so it's bloody ridiculous...

The rest of them probably keep a lower profile plus they play nicer with the RIAA and MPAA...

Just listen to this guys:

http://www.myce.com/news/riaa-closing-megaupload-means-more-users-will-flock-to-legit-music-services-57886/

C'mon let's get real. The bad thing is that they already managed to scare some people, since others are already calling it quits like btjunkie and fileserve and others...

Wonder if there are any other good alternatives to these out there....

williejam
20-02-12, 14:10
Hey guys, any new twists on this whole deal?

Stumbled upon some alternatives to megaupload &co,in fact they're just popping up all round the web these days but I dunno if any of them are really worth it. Seems to me the more people start using'em the more they are bound to get into trouble and just close down just like btjunkie and filesonic and lots of others.

Btw, I also stumbled upon some interesting rumors round some forum about Megaupload and filesharing alternative.

Unfortunately there was nothing much, just that some new technology from audials.com is gonna see the light of day and that's gonna be a more secure and safer alternative to megaupload and filesharing sites.

Seems to me if the audials sharing tech rumor is indeed real it definitely would be a good way to keep out of any mess like the Megaupload one.

Didn't manage unfortunately to dig up any more stuff about this presumably new audials.com technology or product or whatever it is so I was wondering: u guys heard anything on this or got any idea what's it all about?

Hope it's something way more interesting than them cloud computing things...

AmericanAssassin
20-02-12, 14:16
I won't be able to continue living without it. :p

Spong
20-02-12, 14:21
Rapidshare has taken a nose dive in the last few days, their download speeds on files over a certain size is terrible. It seems like they're restricting it.

williejam
21-02-12, 09:27
Seriously, that one too? Jeeze, seems since this Megaupload filesharing thing they're all just dropping like flies.

This definitely would be a good time for a better alternative to filesharing and all them other cyberlockers, if there is such a thing. :hea:

Unfortunately, still no news on those new filesharing audials technology rumors I stumbled upon. At least I didn't manage to find anything more..

It would definitely come in handy right about now...

On a second thought scratch that, looks like I found something more on that audials anywhere (http://www.mytechguide.org/11460/audials-anywhere-light-beta-download/) thing.

It's actually some audials light new software, the audials anywhere is just one of the features that acts like a personal media cloud for accessing media anywhere and sharing music, videos and other stuff with your friends via invitations.

It's free so I guess if anyone needs this sorta program it's worth a shot.